Aussie
Years ago

Did Jack White make a mistake?

Did Jack White make a mistake signing with Duke?

We can talk all we like about the experience of playing under Coack K but it concerns me that he may end up going in the same direction as Isaac Humphries.

Hopefully he gets meaningful minutes, next season, or the season after.

It would be a real shame if another, very talented young Aussie, gets very few minutes in NCAA competition.

Would both of the above mentioned players been better off going to a lower program and getting significant minutes?

Thoughts?

Topic #41506 | Report this topic

Flip  
Years ago

Hard to say only after a freshman year. I think I will reserve my thoughts after next season if there isn't an improvement on forcing himself into the sides rotation.

Reply #639442 | Report this post

Boomers Fan  
Years ago

He's from my home town, so know his family quite well. Think he knew minutes were going to be an issue when he signed with Duke, rather than Boise State. Don't think you can pass up the opportunity, if Duke offers you a scholarship, despite the limited playing time. It'd be crazy.

Reply #639444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if he went to Duke with an understanding of how things were likely to play out, he's probably ok with where he's up to right now. The best Duke teams usually have a junior or senior who didn't do much in the first couple of years because he was recruited over, but those guys eventually get an opportunity through a combination of their own readiness and K missing on a recruit. By then, they have an understanding of the system, some leadership ability, and can be critical to the team's success. Tyler Thornton, Josh Hairston, Lance Thomas, Brian Zoubek, Amile Jefferson. Even Mason Plumlee was uninspiring as an underclassman.

More recently, a lot of the guys who could have followed that trajectory have transferred out of the program after a year. Derryck Thornton, Alex Murphy, Semi Ojeleye, Elliot Williams, Michael Gbinije, Chase Jeter.

I think White's talented enough that if he sticks around for 3 or 4 years, he could start for a good Duke team. K's tendency towards guard-heavy teams means he's often using a 3 in the 4 spot these days; that's predominantly where Tatum, Ingram and Winslow played. So White has the opportunity to slot in anywhere from 2-4. Even next season, Allen, Duval, Trent Jr and Carter will play, but I don't think there's anyone on the roster who's a lock for big minutes beyond that. Bolden couldn't play 3 minutes without fouling last year. Tucker, O'Connell and Goldwire all look like 4-year guys. DeLaurier and Vrankovic both did some nice things in limited opportunities while displaying significant limitations last year, which is pretty much the same as White.

So, after a freshman year in which he was competing for time with 4 NBA draft picks, the pre-season favourite for the Naismith award and 2 returning senior starters? Yeah I don't think I'd make a call right now.

Reply #639448 | Report this post

Good Post Anon  
Years ago

Good post Anon.

White will get his chances as he progresses. From all reports Coach K really admires the kid. Bringing him along slowly and that's fine.

Reply #639463 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Has a few years to work it out. If it doesnt a Duke transfer would be loved by lots of colleges. He will be fine.

Reply #639479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he didn't make nearly as bad a decision as Humphries who went to Kentucky where they basically force you out after a couple of years just watch the documentary one and not done Cal is just in it for himself.

Reply #639482 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:46 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754