SteveK2
Years ago

William McDowell-White signs in Germany

McDowell-White has signed a long term 4-year contract with Brose Bamberg in Germany but will start in their junior development club the Baunach Young Pikes.

Topic #41528 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Is that an unusually long deal for Europe?

Reply #640075 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Yup quite unusual. They must really like him to want to commit that long to developing his game. Another unusual thing is Bamberg is a small town with only a pop of ~70k but apparently basketball mad and the club is backed by a wealthy car parts manufacturer. IIRC Luke Schenser have played for Brose a few years ago.

Reply #640078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would they have signed him with a big buy out hoping he gets drafted at some point?

Reply #640081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow they are the best team in Germany in recent times. and four years :o

Reply #640082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They've won 8 of the last 11 titles.

Reply #640084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reminds me of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonn%E2%80%93Bamberg_basketball_brawl

3 vs. 4 game because so many players were ejected!

Reply #640094 | Report this post

BOB  
Years ago

Good on the kid , college was never going to happen. Why wouldn't Sydney after having him as a DP last season be making a offer .

4 years is a long time for a young man a long way from home.

Reply #640120 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

No idea why the Kings wouldn't bring him back. He looked like our steadiest PG at times last season...

Reply #640122 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah hopefully it works out for him.

I know a couple of years ago Brose Baskets had a reported budget of €10m (obviously total budget; not just player salaries).

I'd say the money would be attractive and well incentivised..which is great..gives motivation to work his tail off with potential reward i'm guessing (rather than 1+1+1 lack of security in Aus)

Reply #640123 | Report this post

Years ago

AngusH, he'll get better money and more importantly stability in Brose. Add the excitement of living overseas when you're young..he did right me thinks

Reply #640124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has he got an nba out clause in the contract?
Hope a nba team pick him up later on

Reply #640127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No idea why the Kings wouldn't bring him back."

Because they're the Kings. Basketcase franchise.

Reply #640129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brose are also in the Euroleague.

This is a classic example of long-term planning. Something which NBL has zero of basically. Apart from NZ and what they did with their academy.

Reply #640130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would want to play for the kings again when
they ripped him off last season with a unpaid contract?

Reply #640133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet they waste money on a coach and assistant who aren't qualified. and I'm sure JvG is getting his fill too. What a joke.

Reply #640139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to hear about the coaches and jvg. WMW has supposedly baggage as well. True on all accounts? F nose

Reply #640156 | Report this post

Pallas58  
Years ago

Brose's budget is currently €18 million euros that largest of any German club).

a 4 year contract is very common for young players in Europe. Many teams have young guys on 4, 5, 6 year contracts. One of of Panathinaikos' young players signed an 8 year contract.

Yeah, Bamburg has 70,000 people, it's part of the Nuremberg metro area. So it's actually a quite large market. The metro area population is 3.5 million.

Reply #640179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be interesting to see if he will last the distance , track record isn't the best
As for ripping him off with an unpaid contract, he came into NBL as a development player and did nothing anyway why the hell would they pay a kid like that

Reply #640181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe WMW's unpaid DP contract was arranged in such a way to retain his amateur status should he have looked to go back to college this coming season - not a method of ripping him off, but agreed as best for all parties.

Reply #640184 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Gotta love the anon Hoops sources/sauces.

Reply #640193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once you leave college you cannot go back not on athletic scholarships so that's not been the case at all

Reply #640200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings overpaying some, yet paying others not at all.

Reply #640203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Completely wrong. You can absolutely leave a college and return to a different college on an athletic scholarship, provided you were never paid to play basketball.

Reply #640209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So which one is it? If you are still an amateur then a gap year is okay outside the college system?

Reply #640213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry but no you cannot, not unless you get a transfer and that means you continue on the college path you DO NOT take a break and go play else where for the remainder of the college year

If he never began college on a scholarship that's a different matter, he can play but not be paid but he Cannot start college then drop out and then start again , you don't repeat years , you sit out and red shirt sure but you don't walk out and then come back

Check your NCAA rulings

Reply #640222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The above sounds right.

Shame on the other poster writing BS about having a complete break from college - yeah right.

Reply #640232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the only way to have a gap year from the college system and being able to return is for the following:

Military duty
Religious mission

Not "spend one year unpaid in the NBL" - LOL good one!

Reply #640233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you have an upaid DP contract when DP's don't get paid?

Reply #640249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Minimum payment for DP is $10g.

Reply #640250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another anon another wrong fact. DPs do get paid.

Reply #640256 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

When he signed with the Kings late last season I'm pretty sure the announcement said he would be a DP and he wouldn't be getting paid due to keeping open his college options for this season.

Reply #640259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

News to me that DP's get paid. I may have changed in recent years but again afaik they never got paid.

Reply #640265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DPs have always been paid, albeit peanuts. Only way they don't get paid is to opt out to remain eligible as an amateur for college.

But you can't have a gap year from college and go back unless military/religious reasons.

So WMW would've been paid.

Reply #640268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So when the domestic and international season didn't clash we had a full time Boomers coach twiddlimg his thumbs.

Now that they intersect the coach is part time taking up an NBL gig.

LOL

Reply #640271 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

WMW wasn't paid with the Kings last season.

"Importantly, by signing him as a Development Player, we allow him the chance to take a fresh look at things at the end of the NBL season, including keeping his NCAA options open should he wish to", Mr Van Groningen added.

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/34186/

Reply #640277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please ask all the DP's that have never been paid.
Perhaps a new rule.? Otherwise you are wrong.

Reply #640281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JvG wrong. Again.

Reply #640285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DPs get paid. TPs (training players) don't. Is that why we have all these confused people on here?

It is illegal for DPs as employees under law not to be paid.

Reply #640288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did JvG use NCAA as an (incorrect) excuse to not pay WDW since you can't pause a college career? Interesting.

Reply #640289 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

News to me that DP's get paid. I may have changed in recent years but again afaik they never got paid.
I think they've been paid for a long time. You might be confused if there were people on a training roster (invited/allowed to train) who didn't have a specific development role.
Did JvG use NCAA as an (incorrect) excuse to not pay WDW since you can't pause a college career? Interesting.
It's possible that WDW made the request or took the option himself, or they were relying on other advice.

Reply #640301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry Froling took a similar route (unpaid dp) with the crocs before going to college to maintain his eligibility, it is a path that highly rated juniors take to keep their options open for the future. Also back in the day David Barlow was a development player with the Victoria Titans before going to college at Metro State and then subsequently signing with the sydney kings upon his return. Both of these players would have been deemed ineligible for college if they'd have been paid. There are two categories of development players; paid and unpaid.

Reply #640329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We know all that already. But what the JvG statement is claiming is WDW was taking a year off college and thus not being paid to remain elgible. You can not start your college career, then take a year off for no good reason, and then restart it.

Reply #640334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There are two categories of development players; paid and unpaid."

Plus training players (TPs). So there are three.

Many above confused DPs with TPs.

Reply #640335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I certainly know of one DP for an NBL team that never got paid. Training bait, is training bait. They get the experience some gear and they train.

Reply #640342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Training bait are TPs not DPs.

But yeah clubs could be getting around the requirement. But if they are doing it by the book they get paid unless staying amateur to be exempt for college purposes.

Reply #640345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I know that. read what I said.

Reply #640355 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Avg 2ppg and played a total of 70 mins. How much did he deserve to be paid?

Reply #640368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris, a lot of players averaged less than 2 points
per game in nba and they got paid more than $US 1 million per year

Reply #640472 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The NBL isn't the NBA.

Reply #640478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The nbl is a league where the clubs
can exploit the youngsters by using/playing them without paying. what a rip-off.

Reply #640481 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:34 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754