Aussie
Years ago

Gold Coast NBL team in 18/19?

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/local-sport/national-basketball-league-planning-to-expand-to-include-team-based-on-gold-coast-playing-games-in-china/news-story/1d7742516bb70665eb10c42bb5b7f11f

I like the idea PROVIDING the Chinese community are fully behind it and supportive of it. Businesses must commit and sponsor the venture.

Chinese players need to be involved (Gold Coast Rollers and then Blaze, failed for a reason).

I like the idea of some Gold Coast youngsters being apart of the roster too. It gives the kids playing basketball in the GC something to aspire too.

Not sure about another Melbourne team. We need to be very, very careful with this one. The only way I can see it working is if it's a regional team. That way, it's city against country, which may work.

Thoughts?

Topic #41538 | Report this topic

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

No. Would rather see Hobart, Newcastle or Canberra before them.

Reply #640387 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Is Anthony Stewart still making a push to get the Hobart Chargers into the NBL?

Reply #640388 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

The proposed Gold Coast model has a lot of question marks and making it work would require incredible efforts by all parties involved. If it works, the benefit would be tremendous and the panacea our league really need to ensure not only survival but also transition to the next level, i.e. expansion and competitiveness.

We can't have mediocre CBA players in that proposed concept. We need to have the million dollars superstars including their expensive imports ala Fredette, Yi, etc. playing here to be competitive and garner interest from China and from us. Its a fine line to balance competitiveness well because that will definitely exceed the agreed cap. Additionally, how do you schedule the 2 leagues to avoid clash WRT these players?

Reply #640390 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

As much as I'd like to see an expansion .. it needs to be done carefully and ONLY when there is a long term viability for the existing clubs. I said in the LK report card thread that I don't want to see any more teama added to the dinosaur pile.

Reply #640393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there was going to be a China-themed team it would have to be in Sydney or Melbourne, not Gold Coast.

Basically my response to this is: NO

Reply #640395 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Need another Melbourne team. Should be the next expansion the nbl does.

Reply #640419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah bring back the Tigers so Cram's F becomes an A... lmao.

Reply #640421 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Gold Coast is a failed market twice already with the Rollers and Blaze so don't think it would be a wise avenue for the league to go down again. Plus locals in SEQ can go and watch the Bullets.

Reply #640423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally would rather see a Wellington team in next

Reply #640424 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I agree I just posted in the LK thread that I hope the league concentrates on getting up a second team in Melbourne and another team in NZ, Wellington or otherwise. Gold Coast is a waste of time and Tassie too small a population along with the issues between the north and south of that state not making it an ideal area to revisit either.

Reply #640428 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Please no more teams on the Gold Coast! The AFL even struggle to get going there. Most fickle sports town in the country.

Im not really on board this China-Gold Coast link or whatever it is. Cant see this being well embraced.

Mentioned in the Kestleman report card thread that expansion is needed. Id like to see this expansion in Melbourne, Hobart and Wellington. Not the GC.

Reply #640442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can they replace the breakers please

Reply #640450 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

There is No way a Gold Coast team will be in the NBL....not this decade anyway.

Reply #640456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart still on track. Another Kiwi team I have heard. Definitely not another team in Melb yet. That would dilute the Untied market.

Reply #640458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart devils would be my pick.

Reply #640460 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Never go back to the Gold Coast. Any team with Chinese players judging from what we've seen would finish last each year anyway.

Reply #640473 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd rather Canberra, Newcastle and Geelong before Gold Coast and that's after putting Tasmania and 2nd NZ team in, but

What would they do to identify as Chinese? Sponsors, names, court attire in Chinese As well as English? What else would be done?

Reply #640479 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Logically, realistically and with common sense everything tells me three teams in Queensland is at least one too many, so no this is not a good idea under any circumstances whatsoever.

Victoria is the leading state in Australia in basketball, I know this may sound elitist to some, but by sheer numbers and success at every level it makes sense that at least a second Melbourne team and perhaps a Victorian regional team down the track is part of futue NBL expansion.

I am confident of Tasmania, also Wellington, perhaps even something else for consideration, however not in the Queensland market as nice as it is up there you guys are not in the hunt at the moment and the Gold Coast isn't the right market, at least not yet IMHO!

Reply #640517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at peak of NBL - Melbourne teams all going at each other in derbies. Since that went by the wayside no coincidence the league slumped.

Reply #640522 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You don't think it's possible you have cause and effect reversed there?

Reply #640524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kestleman won't allow a 2nd Melb tea. I would suggest restraint of trade. ;)

Reply #640527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Point taken kr if they could've sustained the original amalgamated teams Magic, Giants, Tigers after the boom who knows but that ship has sailed probably never to be matched in terms of success.

Reply #640533 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:42 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754