Luuuc
Years ago

WNBL Fixture released

21 games in 13 rounds from Oct 6 - Dec 31, with Playoffs starting on Jan 3.

Full Fixture

8 teams in action at State Basketball Centre across Sat-Sun Nov 25-26

Article with links to individual team fixtures

Topic #41563 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

As I suspected WNBL quadruple header during Nov NBL off week due to FIBA World Cup qualification.

Reply #640988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the broadcast deal with FOX Sports will see one game per round, plus every Finals match, shown LIVE through to 2019-20

Reply #640989 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Would have been cool to do it as a quadruple-header on a Saturday

Reply #640991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some rounds will be more than one game a week televised. It's minimum one round per week.

Reply #640994 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Happy just to have 1 per week in HD, but I hope you're right!

Reply #640995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The current Asia Cup is the World Cup qualifier, so nothing to do with that!

Reply #640997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it's not.

Asia Cup coming up is for championship of Asia.

Qualifiers start in November.

They are using the same players now for Asia Cup that will be available for qualifiers in November (basically only NBL players). So as to get them used to Asia and playing against Asian players.

Reply #640999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ ok seems like anon above (#640997) is confused.

WNBL is having that weekend in Melbourne to enable more TV coverage while NBL has the week off (due to Asia qualfication, not the WOMEN's Asia qualification the MEN's)

Reply #641000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WNBL-NBL double headers: ADL with 4, SYD with 1.

Reply #641001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, two double headers rather than a quadruple header over that weekend makes more sense.

Reply #641003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lightning looks legit this season so those 36ers-lightning double headers could be good!

Reply #641007 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Looks a pretty fair fixture, interesting that they have most rounds with a Thursday night game/s + a few Wednesdays thrown in there too - perhaps they're dipping in to see whether it would be feasible crowds wise to play every night like the NBL does?

I wonder when Fox Sports will release the televised game schedule.

Reply #641011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it would be great if they did the tv schedule on the run to avoid dud games

Reply #641014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably the Wed & some of those Thurs games will be the weekly game since NBL is Fri-Sat-Sun mostly with some Thurs. The five WNBL-NBL double headers would be also for TV.

Reply #641017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ROUND 9
#50 Wed Nov 29 3:00pm Brydens Stadium Sydney vs Adelaide

3pm on a Wednesday (and not a public holiday as far as I can tell)? Huh?

Reply #641040 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Only way is up for the Lightning this season. Very young team last season but with a bit of experience they should improve a lot this season.

Reply #641056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep - the Lightning have gotten rid of most of those young players so the only way is up from here.

Reply #641082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The regular season shortened to 2.5 months? Wow.

Reply #641098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hardly worth it is it , all too allow fir the Europe and USA committed players ... why not cater for Aussie players that want to play here

Reply #641101 | Report this post

Max Bretos  
Years ago

WNBL isn't viable for a longer period and at the same time have TV coverage. Good compromise.

Reply #641121 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

The shorter season encourages the higher end Aussies to play here in the WNBL and still be able to earn a considerable amount in Europe after the season finishes. The way it was before, players who were in finals sides could really only fit 2 months of the European season in - this new fixture allows finals players to go to Europe for 4.5+ months. I don't think at this point in time the WNBL can compete with the European clubs in terms of money, so the opportunity for those who are good enough to go to Europe to also be able to play at home is a good one.

IMO it will only build the league and it's popularity, having the majority of the Opals in Europe instead of the WNBL isn't really ideal for increasing exposure.

Reply #641126 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Agreed. It's at least worth trying, because the league hasn't exactly been going from strength to strength in recent years.

Reply #641127 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

(though I do feel for all the players that aren't earning much money, who are going to have to manage employment with this new very condensed schedule that now includes Wednesday & Thursday games)

Reply #641128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many top European teams are going to want a late season signing not named Cambage?

Reply #641160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why do you only ask about "top" teams? non top teams might be looking for a boost

Reply #641166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How many top European teams are going to want a late season signing not named Cambage?"

True, and the kicker is she's not interested! LOL

Reply #641167 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

There were a few players who signed European contracts after the WNBL season finished - off the top of my head Raincock-Ekunwe, Kunek and Mitchell did last season. Plenty of Euro teams sign players mid-season, especially those players who have dual aus/euro passports so that they can count as a local.

I'd hope there won't be too many full time workers left in the WNBL, it'd be rough trying to juggle full time work with mid week travel/games especially with such short turn arounds.

Reply #641180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Melbfan. You can't use a Euro passport/citizenship to become a local on the sly anymore if you've played for the national team, which I'm going to go out on a branch and assume the only WNBL players anyone in Europe would be interested in have played at least some level on the senior Opals squad. I'm not sure of its proper name, but it's called the Bird-Taurasi Rule. Been this way a few years now.

Reply #641271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of players can pick up
euro teams without having to be on a national senior team... and if you have dual passports it means they don't have to use you as part of their import quota, that still is current
Thankfully their is only one Cammbage in the basketball world .... imagine having others that disinterested and lazy....

Reply #641277 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Yep, not being a part of the import quota is a better way to put what I was going for!

To be honest, I doubt there will be all that many Opals squad players going to Europe after the season this year because it will be a WC year and they'll probably have camps etc and the Commonwealth Games to worry about.

Reply #641306 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

3:00pm Saturday games appear positioned for TV. Notice that Adelaide & Sydney double-headers with the NBL are in those time slots, which would mean fox just requires one set-up of equipment.

Reply #642768 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Number of times televised by team:

Melb 6
Dand 5
Bend 4
Syd 4
Canb 3
Adel 2
Perth 2
Town 2

Reply #648526 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:11 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754