6ers sign Shannon shorter. And good?

Topic #41570 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

193cm point guard. http://www.botinagy.com/blog/36ers-go-bigger-with-shorter/

Reply #641272 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Streaky shooter but similar to Dillard. Some fans might be disappointed if they compare him to Randle but IMHO he would be as effective.

Reply #641273 | Report this post

Scoot  
Years ago

Interesting no ones talking about their other rumoured signing Ronald Roberts. Who could be the most athletic big man since the Alabama slamma
Big m

Reply #641274 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

Should make it a bit easier for us to switch everything on defence with the extra height and bulk.
Any idea what are those leagues are like that he is coming from?

Reply #641275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Derek Cooke Jr at Perth will be the most athletic big

Reply #641276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know too much about but stats look good without too much knowledge about leagues played.
But love a good size point guard as my favourite PG is Darnell Mee and hope he is half the D dominator as Darnell.
This team is looking very positive and exciting.

Reply #641279 | Report this post

Master chief  
Years ago

Recently played in France top league. Can't find much from his time there, but you're no slouch to be considered for that league it seems to me.

Reply #641280 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Hmm, I am not sure about this signing. He does not seem to be particularly quick and is a bit of a low percentage guy. Only about a career 46% shooter and 33% for his career from three in mid tier Euro comps.

Nevertheless Shannon, welcome to the Sixers and I wish you the best!

Boti, nice hype to compare him to Darnell Mee, but I think Darnell might have had a little more pedigree before he came to Australia...

Reply #641281 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Master chief, if the stats I found are correct, Shannon only played a limited role in 21 minutes per game in 9 games in France. Don't know what role he was asked to fill there, but he only recorded THREE (3) assists total in those 9 games. I'm guessing he wasn't the point guard.

His time in Turkey before that was more productive and probably more representative of his overall game.

Reply #641282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

96 kg pg. Bit bigger.

Reply #641283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle needed to score 25+ for us to have a chance as he cost us 20 on defense.
As good as randle is offensively and although his assist stats were still OK he didn't get guys the ball at the right time in my opinion.
Hopefully shorter will be able to get others involved more and not be such a weakness on defence.

Reply #641284 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Slightly underwhelming signing. The guy looks a bit chubby and slow. I am sensing another Ebi Ere here.

Reply #641285 | Report this post

Master chief  
Years ago

XY, French league is pretty tough. His time in Turkey was in the second division. No real strong leagues in early parts of pro career. Thats not a criticism though, just seems like this guy has slowly climbed a ladder. Good luck to him & welcome aboard.

It seems like Roberts is our kind of marquee signing. I thought it would be the other way round positinally.

Reply #641286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebi ere def come to mind.

Reply #641287 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Let's hope he's not shorter than they say he is

Reply #641288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I accidentally Google Shannon little. Some hot chics called that.

Reply #641290 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

If he can make some plays and distribute the ball he will probably be useful but this signing was a massive let down. I was expecting either Dillard or a Dillard level import but this guy looks very average. I've seen some of his "ankle breakers" and that shit wouldn't fly in the NBL. The guards are too quick. He'd probably get picked off.

Reply #641291 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Master chief, Shannon was playing in the BSL which I understand is the top league in Turkey.

However he did not play on a Euroleague/Eurocup team and his team last season has been relegated to the second tier league this year.

Reply #641293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks a bit top heavy. Weight could be an issue, but he was signed for a reason. Does worry me when Joey signs guys that arent already established, besides Randle has not brought much talent in import wise. But if he has all this extra coin to play with this season, then less excuses. Hope this guy is legit and uses that weight to bully smalller guards!

Reply #641294 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

...after only recording two wins last season with Shannon as its starting point guard...

Reply #641295 | Report this post

Master chief  
Years ago

XY, even better. I obviously did some lazy research about the previous team. Those number's are outstanding then? The Turkish top league is top 3 in Europe is it not?

Reply #641296 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Like I said, lets hope that performance is more representative for what he will bring for the Sixers, but hopefully with A LOT more team success.

Reply #641297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have easily rathered the Sixers pay Randle and not worry about the other import spots. The Sixers were bloody exciting to watch the last 2 seasons with Randle. He put bums on seats whenever he played. Easily our most exciting import since Rose, Mee and Brooks. Probably more exciting in my opinion.

Reply #641298 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Farley was pretty good since that crop of guys you mentioned. There was another guy who was exciting too but was also a bit of a cancer.

Reply #641304 | Report this post

Master chief  
Years ago

I don't think Adelaide was the only club deterred by the asking price. Doesn't that tell you something about how unreasonable it must be?

Adelaide have secured three quality imports. It's been a while since they've had the capacity to not sacrifice one to get the other kind of scenaro. I think Shorter maybe seems like an odd choice but i can't imagine he'd be a cheap signing on the basis they were scraping the barrel.

Reply #641305 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Randle was asking 2 million over 3 years

The 36ers said we can't afford that and said if that is where you are at there is no point even making an offer

The 36ers were ready to make an offer but now the agent gets to say he never received an official offer from the club hence the 2 different stories in the media.

His price may have changed. He is sucking up to Bevo big time so that says to me he has realised his demands were way out of line

Reply #641307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FYI, he isnt sucking up to Bevo. Simply applauding a great coach and at the same getting to the petty side of his old coach. Not like the Hawks would have anyhwere near enough money to lure Randle.

Reply #641311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a name for a basketballer.

Reply #641315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FYI, the agent did get a verbal on the price they were willing to pay I was told by a 'sauce' source.

Reply #641316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shannon Shorter sounds suspiciously made up. Can we be sure that's it's not Ebi with a changed name?

Reply #641318 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Hence anon1 why I said never received an official offer

There is no point writing up an offer or contract if the two parties are so far apart and one party has shown not interest in moving their number to reality.

anon2 he is most definitely sucking up to Bevo from what I am told. He has been suggesting that 3rd parties asked him up to call the Hawks dirty and that he didn't want to say it.

The NBL isn't savvy enough to cultivate and perpetuate a fake war just yet.

I get he is trying to get himself a job but throwing mud and burning bridges isn't classy nor a great strategy.

Reply #641321 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I remember saying when we first signed Randle that it was concerning how much he's bounced around from team to team in his career never being able to stick anywhere and I think we're starting to see why.

After that week long NBL series in China he said he's now made a friend for life in Bevo and how much of a great coach he is, I thought at the time that was quite petty obviously trying to stick it up Joey.

The guy expected to be the highest paid player in NBL history and then spits the dummy when the club balks at that. There's a reason why despite all the NBA scouts watching the 36ers last season none of the 30 NBA teams was interested in giving him a spot on their rosters at summer league.

Reply #641322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah. This has all blown up in Randle's face. Got too ahead of himself, starting with the semi choke.

Reply #641323 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, I think Randle started to show his true colors towards the end of his two year stint. I think the first sign was mouthing off at the Hawks, sure it got publicity but not in a good way. Then his wife spat the dummy and threw plates of food in Illawarra, and what his wife does is certainly a reflection on him. Then we have the Bevo tweet, rubbing Joey's nose in it. And last but not least, I've noticed he's not given the 36ers fans a goodbye message as Torrey Craig and Casey Prather have done. Shit, even Shannon Shorter had a "hello" message, and Jerome can't bid goodbye to the city he says he loves?

Reply #641324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You surely cannot be serious? You want a goodbye message? Are you 3?

Reply #641325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lmfao

Reply #641326 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Randle is on a different plant and has failed to understand how NBL salary demands are not equivalent to European or American money. Those who have stayed in the league have accepted that they might earn less, but are willing to trade it for what the league has to offer. There's so many quality American imports out there waiting around. The club did the right thing.

Reply #641327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He may have a clueless agent who didn't help things in respect to reality.

Reply #641328 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

To those suggesting Randle is 'sucking up' to Bevo...

What possible pay-off is there for Jerome? The Hawks already have a previous MVP in Rotnei Clarke for this coming season + Norton + Martin + White, why would they sink big money on another guard?

Surely Spenceley has learned from the Gary Ervin + Jahii Carson experiment.

I think people are reading too much into it if they think Randle befriending Bevo is also some sort of snub @ Joey.

We all know Randle's penchant for mouthing off but let's give him some credit, not everything he says is an attack.

Reply #641337 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

On Shorter, I think this is a good signing, obviously a bit dissappointed that after reading Kevin Dillard's name its not actually Kevin Dillar, but that's life I suppose.

From the clips I've seen Shorter seems to have decent court vision and being that size, he can probably get his passes off better which will be critical for Sobey, Drmic, DJ, Teys at the wings.

What I like from our signings so far is that although we have lost a bit of scoring, we have 'at least on paper' got a better defensive group. I still want face paced Sixer basketball but I am concerned that the Sixers consistently bleed points on the other end too.

Reply #641340 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Looks like a solid player. Gives the Sixers some size in the back court. Doesn't look like a go to scorer at the end of games like Randle was, so we will need a couple of other guys to step up and be our closers.

Reply #641353 | Report this post

Master chief  
Years ago

Shorter actually lead the Turkish league in scoring that season he played? It's confusing with promotion/relegation and all the other leagues etc. This signing is underrated so far it seems. There's just not a lot about him but he can obviously play.

Reply #641355 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Shorter didn't lead the Turkish league in scoring last season he was second behind Ricky Ledo.

Reply #641356 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Can someone let Boti know that in the NBL they do not play for "a flag".

Reply #641357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FSTOS that irritates me to no end. Seen it hundreds of times people refer to the Championship as a flag (weird AFL terminology I believe?) or Premiership. It's the NBL Championship. Argh.

Reply #641369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Second in scoring in Turkish league is still huge.

Reply #641370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and LOL at using "flag" for any sports outside of motor racing. *facepalm*

Reply #641371 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I've changed my mind on Shorter. The highlight tapes made him look slow and limited but after seeing how smart he is in a full game, and how he reads the play and makes the right decisions, I think he's going to be a great fit for the team and give us the option to back in guards.

Reply #641434 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"motor racing"... or sailing, or baseball, or surf life saving, or golf, or any sport that's ever called its championship a pennant or awarded a pennant for the winner to hang.

Reply #641443 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Second in scoring in Turkish league is still huge."

The Turkish league is very comparable to the NBL. Over the years guys like Penney, Newley, Devries, Randle, Ogilvy, EJ Rowland etc have all been high-quality players in that comp.

If a guy has done well in Turkey it seems to usually translate well to our league. I think this guy will be a bit like Kevin Dillard, although hopefully he can defend a little better than KD.

Reply #641456 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Isn't the Turkish league considered one of the top 5 domestic leagues in the world?

Reply #641458 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

For me it goes NBA and Euroleague at the top, then ACB next, then leagues like Turkey, VTB United, NBL, Italy, Germany, France and the Adriatic league are all pretty similar in standard.

The very top teams in Turkey would be a bit better than the top NBL teams, the bottom ones over there wouldn't be as strong as NBL teams, but overall it's very comparable.

Chris Warren is another NBL guy who's gone on to play some really good basketball in the Turkish Superleague, while Hakim Warrick is another one who starred there before coming to the NBL.

Reply #641461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dare say if he can put up 20/5/5 in the 4th best league he is going to be decent in the NBL a 5th-10th best league. I say good pick up by Joey and the 36ers.

Reply #641467 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yes the more I've seen of him the more I like. The 36ers look good this year, guys.

Reply #641480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

''Can someone let Boti know that in the NBL they do not play for "a flag". ''
its especially hypocritical considering how much he rags on other commentators in his blog if he hears them using terminology from other sports

Reply #641482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A pennant isn't a flag.

Reply #641486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"any sport that's ever called its championship a pennant or awarded a pennant for the winner to hang."

The word you're looking for is banner.

Reply #641487 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I was hoping that Boti no longer writing for News Corp meant he would no longer write.

Reply #641488 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Nobody forces you to read his site.

Reply #641492 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I don't visit it. Haha that's my point?

Reply #641497 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Big unit for a pointguard. Moves around pretty good . I like .
36ers to announce two more imports this week.
Although we already know them....

Reply #641758 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754