Isaac
Years ago

Taipans sign import PG Scoochie Smith

Seems to be official. 6'2" PG. More info on NBL site.

Topic #41577 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Doesn't not look like a good signing not

Reply #641459 | Report this post

1.9M_Jawai  
Years ago

Needs more sauce Manu?

Reply #641460 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Looks like his online clothing store will have to wait then:

https://www.gofundme.com/my-online-clothing-store

Reply #641462 | Report this post

Great signing , Scoochie can flat out ball...

Reply #641465 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Needs more schooch

Reply #641474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope the scooch refers to himself in the 3rd person

Reply #641483 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Scoochie... budget nickname and probably a budget signing

Reply #641484 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

He's got good size, has a winning record, got better every year in college, and coaches say he thrives under pressure.

I think Fearnie might have found us a good one.

Let's hope he unearths a gun 4.

Reply #641567 | Report this post

Do they recruit based on the best name rather than talent up there or what?

Reply #641589 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Skip Mills
Scooter Sherrill
Scoochie Smith

The first two turned out to be spuds, not good signs for Scooch.

Reply #641608 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Scoochie... budget nickname and probably a budget signing"

Seriously...this is immature.

Grow up.

Reply #641647 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha if that triggers you, you must lead a miserable life

Reply #641648 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It didn't 'trigger' anything.

If you need to say things like that to make you feel better, perhaps you need to re-assess who has the 'miserable life'.

Reply #641650 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'm passionate about my team and don't like the signing. Ever thought of that?

Reply #641653 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Besides, the language isn't even bad. Storm in a teacup mate

Reply #641654 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Relax Manu, the kid can definitely play. Might need to get acclimatised to the way the game is reffed and played here plus figure out how to deal with Fearne's quirks, but I'm pretty sure he'll be a nice surprise.

Reply #641658 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

With a group of individuals as inconsistent as ours, we need a team-first guy who can take over games when he needs to. Scooch does not look like such a guy.

A few things I like: he played all four years at college, he appears to try on D, and he has vision. Thing is that we've had PGs with vision before, but it seems that as a team we don't move with enough intent to utilise a ball handler's vision.

When was the last time a superstar-less team won the championship? Maybe our import SF/PF will be a star?

Reply #641665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed with Manu. Another season of the Taipans just going through the motions, plodding along. Yawn.

Reply #641667 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Coming into a season, I just want a chance to say, "Man this team is talented. No excuses this season."

Haven't had that for a little while.

Reply #641668 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Settle the f%¥* down Manny Fleabag.

Reply #641674 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

Manu, for what it's worth, I have a recollection of being in Cairns with nothing better to do than watch a pre-season game between Illawarra and the Taipans.
It was a lustre-lacking affair because the Taipan's two imports, Wilbekin and Craig, we're not cleared to play.
Illawarra looked competent, controlled, and were themselves not at full force.
it was, however, clear: the imports would need to be exceptional for Cairns to be competitive.
History says they were.
On that night there was nothing in the demeanor of Scottie or Torrey, standing on the sidelines with arms crossed on chests, to suggest they knew they could make the difference. Nor could there be.
I believe Fearne knew.

Reply #641675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A fan who wants a legit shot finally for his team is called a fleabag? That's moronic.

Reply #641676 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I normally laugh at these Thunder Jam and LoveBroker types, but I can't help feeling sad for them.

Anyway, I'll give you that season, Greybouy. It was certainly the last where we've had a stacked roster. As soon as news of Wilbekin's signing broke, I knew he'd be the single best Taipan ever. And I reckon he was. True leader. God what I'd give to have him back. High calibre guy, let alone basketball player.

Face it, one guy made us who we were that season.

Reply #641679 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't like Fearne as coach. You could give him Michael Jordan and he'd bring him in off the bench behind Steven Weigh. He has an eye for talent but he completely underutilizes it.

Reply #641680 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

So Manu, what I'm nudging you towards accepting is that you in Cairns have had more gratification over recent seasons than a United supporter such as myself who has indeed been able to look at each new roster and proclaim 'no excuses!'

Reply #641682 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Well man, you know how they say it's better to have loved and lost than not loved at all... same applies here. I'd rather feel that pre-season rush of excitement and anticipation and subsequent disappointment than nothing at all.

Reply #641691 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha Manu you're just getting jaded in your old age. ;)

Reply #641693 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Agreed with Manu. Another season of the Taipans just going through the motions, plodding along. Yawn."

Finishing 2nd last year after being written off as spooners is "going through the motions, plodding along"???

Lucky you're not an United fan, you'd be suicidal.

"Coming into a season, I just want a chance to say, "Man this team is talented. No excuses this season."

You had Nate who just won a ring with Perth whilst playing only 20mpg on top of other coups like McCarron as well as scoring Agent 97 who proved to be very serviceable @ Wollongong.

Even if you are eager to say the words "No excuses this season"...so what? Every fan base with the exception of Townsville Crocs would be saying that very same thing every pre-season, and most would be dissappointed.

Cairns beat out Sydney, New Zealand and Melbourne for a playoff spot, finished above Perth. I'd be damn proud of that.

Reply #641695 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"A fan who wants a legit shot finally for his team is called a fleabag? That's moronic."

But he's crapping on his team because he feels the nickname of one import is budget therefore the import himself must be budget.

Yeah....moronic.

Reply #641696 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Well man, you know how they say it's better to have loved and lost than not loved at all... same applies here. I'd rather feel that pre-season rush of excitement and anticipation and subsequent disappointment than nothing at all."

I'd rather have what Taipans had last year, completely off the radar and a big tear at the end of the season (5W in a row coming to playoffs).

Using your analogy, thats like going to a bar not looking for anything only for Miranda Kerr to come up and say 'how's about it?'.

Reply #641697 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha oh my god dude, 'budget nickname' doesn't mean anything. Think about what you're whining about. Budget nickname as opposed to, what, an expensive nickname?

I wouldn't touch Miranda Kerr with a 10-foot pole

Reply #641699 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'd probably get the Scoochie if I touched Miranda Kerr

Reply #641700 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Greybuoy, I was at that preseason game too, and the thing I remember most was scottie wilbekin sat slouched back on his chair on the bench in his civvies looking bored out of his mind, pulling his phone out only for Fearney to come over, damn near knock it out of his hand and give him a spray for his attitude. By then I'd also heard all the stories about his problems at college and all I could think was "jeez.. This is going to be a long season".

I suspect we'll do okay once scoochie settles in. At the very least I'm going to wait and see who's coming in at 4 before I start getting worried.

Reply #641701 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Actually, while we're all having a moan I'm going to reserve my anger for whichever fucker thought it would be a clever idea to jack up the prices of the platinum tickets, call it the 'Captain's Club' and throw in a polo that I already know is going to be too ugly to wear.

Anyway, scoochie: stupid name but let's all give him a chance.

Reply #641702 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

'Captain's Club'?

Hopefully it wasn't Cam Gliddon's idea.

Reply #641706 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Haha oh my god dude, 'budget nickname' doesn't mean anything. Think about what you're whining about. Budget nickname as opposed to, what, an expensive nickname?"

You tell me...you made it up.

Reply #641709 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Moving on... If we get Greg Whittington I'll be happy. As happy as a Taipans fan can be.

Reply #641711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Actually, while we're all having a moan I'm going to reserve my anger for whichever fucker thought it would be a clever idea to jack up the prices of the platinum tickets, call it the 'Captain's Club' and throw in a polo that I already know is going to be too ugly to wear."

That's straight of the Wildcats playbook.

Reply #641718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

out of the*

Reply #641719 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

look i wasn't going to get involved in this heated discussion, but then you go and mention Miranda Kerr.

You've completely lost your mind Manu.......... How dare you........

Reply #641734 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Miranda Kerr > Greg Whittington in a lacey ensemble.

Reply #641735 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'd take Greg Whittington in a lacy ensemble for my basketball team any day of the week

Reply #641747 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

madness..................... No offense to Greg, i'm sure he'd look great.... But I'd have Miranda running the point everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

Reply #641748 | Report this post

Bodega Owner  
Years ago

"Actually, while we're all having a moan I'm going to reserve my anger for whichever fucker thought it would be a clever idea to jack up the prices of the platinum tickets, call it the 'Captain's Club' and throw in a polo that I already know is going to be too ugly to wear."

That is totally a Wildcats move.

For years I've said I don't like the polo and all the bogus "bonus" they throw in. I just want my seat and priority access to playoff tickets.

I then soften and said, well if you're going to force a "free" polo on to me can I get a players jersey instead.

They said no.

So for the last 4 or 5 seasons I haven't bothered to pick up my Captains Club polo.

Reply #641749 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Isn't Captain's Club the Platinum with a couple of upgrades? I thought you still got priority tickets but not the polo, vip pre game etc?

To be honest... i never really pay much attention, I'm just like 'same seats, here's my credit card'.

Reply #641752 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

'Pans better not be swindlin'

Reply #641754 | Report this post

Troppo  
Years ago

Taipans put there prices up in the new Captains club by nearly 50% . When I enquired I was told they had done research and nobody in the affected area had any issues .
Guess they lied

Reply #641755 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

that's the realities of running a pro sports team without a sugar daddy or mumma, $$ has to come from somewhere to keep the wheels moving.

Only reason I was hyped about Aquis was my hope they'd throw a bucketload of sponsorship cash the Taipans way....

Reply #641757 | Report this post

Bodega Owner  
Years ago

Wildcats have the sweetest of sugar daddy's and our prices are still way up there (must note, they haven't increased prices for 3 season - but that's probably a reflection of how much they actually did increase).

Wildcats Captain's Club for re-newing members are $1000.

It's the same as Platinum but you get a polo and access to a pre-game function as well as the opportunity to purchase priority parking.

It's also got to do with the demographic of most captains club members as well I guess.

Reply #641759 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

You've got a big fancy stadium to pay for as well though :)

Reply #641764 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Don't knock the CCC Podge, we got fancy new LED screens ey

Reply #641771 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha i'm just dirty a sausage roll costs $8.

Reply #641774 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

First I heard of it was when I saw the renewal flyer draped over the back of my seat. I guess they have to pay for Fearney's Rogaine supplements somehow, but jesus, it's a dick move.

Reply #641779 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:23 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754