KET
Years ago

NBL US Teaser

Let the rumours begin

Topic #41580 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

There are a lot of fanciful theories out there about this being some sort of NBA crossover game. I would bet a lot of money that that is not the case. NBA games take a fair amount of time to organize and this announcement looks like it will have more immediate affect than that.

If I were to guess I'd say there is some sort of NBL vs US College tournament to be announced that is a bit more indepth and involved than your usual college tours. Maybe it is a couple of college teams vs some NBL teams in something of a mini cup or something.

Reply #641489 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

There's already a schedule floating around of 3 or 4 us college teams who are going to be playing in Australia the second week of August. The timing would fit with what you've just suggested.

I do hope that its a bit more than this though..

Reply #641490 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I suspect whatever it is, it will be underwhelming

Reply #641496 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

If the picture was NBL x NBA logos, I'd be pretty sure you might lose money there ME. Heard rumours about JLo trying to organize some NBA games with their superstars to be played in max capacity Qudos (18k seats) and the MCG. That's right the MCG!

You could be somewhat right though that it may turn out to be something lesser. Will know soon enough.

Reply #641652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess on Tuesday we will all know. Underwhelming is the key word here

Reply #641673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it's merely the college vs NBL teams then I'll cringe. We already know that United, Kings, Taipans and Breakers are playing Wisconsin, Texas, American and Oklahoma universities.

Reply #641677 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

If you're expecting NBL vs NBA games or NBA games in Australia this year prepare to be underwhelmed. However I also don't think it is going to be as simple as just another college tour seeing as we have them every year. I am leaning towards a more substantial NBL vs USA College tournament and I think Tuesday will prove me right.

Reply #641681 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Timing doesn't match up for it to be a game of locals vs imports at the Blitz.

Reply #641737 | Report this post

Bodega Owner  
Years ago

It might be the NBL being broadcast into the US

Reply #641746 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

hmm they've now changed the teaser to:'NBL Logo' x 'NBA logo'. I assumed it was just going to be about the College tour, but the NBA logo being in it now has me interested...

Reply #641815 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I retract my earlier statement. It would not be absolutely crazy to believe the unthinkable might happen

Reply #641816 | Report this post

Dione  
Years ago

My guess is that a team representing NBL players only will enter the next NBA Summer League a bit like the D League Select Team. It could be a possibility given the NBL website was full promotions for the NBL players/coaches etc particpating in this year's Summer League. Anyway we will see tomorrow!

Reply #641817 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Out of left field but nbl tv to get access to a game or 2 a week?

Reply #641819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No.

Reply #641823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dione's guess is good.

Reply #641824 | Report this post

Bigballerbe  
Years ago

Being that the logo is NBA V NBL it's no college tour. Back a year or two ago there was an exhibition match 36ers v clippers (bench) in the works... I doubt it's that, clearly didn't work out... I'd say it's the NBA Aussies v the NBL all star team and it will be used as cross promotion for the NBL to the USA, china etc.

Whatever it is, we shall see tomorrow.

Reply #641826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, it will be similar to the Team Africa vs. Team NBA format played in South Africa the last couple of years. The only difference is one side will be NBL as we have local talent.

Reply #641827 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I hope the NBL know that by hyping it up they put themselves at risk of severely damaging their brand if the announcement isn't as big as the hype.

Reply #641829 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Guessing it may be Kings and United travelling to the US for exhibition matches on the west coast.

Reply #641830 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Thinking (with a large portion of hope) that it will be a NBA team doing a few pre season games in Australia, like teams currently do through Europe against Barcelona etc.
However, putting on my downtrodden Perth native hat, it will be held in Sydney and Melbourne despite Perth having the best team and largest fan base and a stadium they can fill.

Reply #641833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have thought that if it was the NBA, that's what they would be promoting. Underwhelming.

Reply #641836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny that the dickheads at the NBL are now using an NBA logo. Sheesh. How bad are they.

Reply #641837 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Melbourne V OKC. Between United's first and second reg season game. Strange timing but a good step in the right direction.

Reply #641847 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

In the states I believe

Reply #641848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Melbourne start their season like this:

@ ADL
@ OKC
@ ADL

What an odd combo.

Reply #641850 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Apparently three other NBL teams are involved. My bets would be on the money clubs - Sydney, Melbourne, Perth.

Reply #641851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are you ppl getting your info from? Sauces pls

Reply #641853 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Roy Ward dropped the article in The Age that is being released later today

Reply #641855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If these games are over there then nothing changes. For it to be big and for all the public sheep to follow it has to be on Aussie soil. Cats already played an NBA team in the 90s, meh.

Reply #641856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks

Reply #641857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Apparently three other NBL teams are involved."

Two of three have to be LK teams so Brisbane and Melbourne. Third you would think Sydney to keep AEG happy.

Reply #641858 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Such snivelling little comments there, Anonymous about LK, who has done more for the NBL than you ever could.

Reply #641859 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Yeah the cat is out of the bag! Utd vs Okc, Bullets vs Phx and Sydney vs Jazz. All 3 teams will travel to US in early October. Not quite NBA in Oz but good exposure for NBL.

Reply #641861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Link here.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/us-sports/sydney-kings-to-play-utah-jazz-as-part-of-triple-header-pitting-nbl-v-nba/news-story/d9b7b9edd685283bb1448a2336f24ef8

Reply #641864 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

*sigh* so we send 3 of last years bottom 4 teams to showcase our league. Would have preferred an NBL select team.
Hopefully it is just a stepping stone to getting 1 of those 3 NBA teams to Australia soon.

Reply #641866 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NBL select team would be terrible, you need a team that's training and playing together. But I agree, one of the teams should have been Perth.

Still, what an amazing get. This is an excellent first step to have NBA teams playing pre-season games in Aus.

Reply #641875 | Report this post

Sen dog  
Years ago

Haters can F off. LK has delivered

Reply #641896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Such snivelling little comments there, Anonymous about LK, who has done more for the NBL than you ever could."

What? I correctly predicted which teams were involved, and the reason 2/3 are is because they are LK's teams.

Reply #641899 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

I am happy that this is happening (props to LK) it's a good first step, just not pleased with the teams going.
However we don't know the details. All other teams may have been offered the chance and turned it down due to the timing and logistics.

Reply #641902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not happy? Selfish Perth fan who thinks they should get everything?

Reply #641904 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:37 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754