Sixers Fan
Years ago

36ers Missing a Point Guard?

While I'm digging the signing of Shannon Shorter, it's obvious by watching his highlights and game film that he's not a point guard at all. He looks like a true shooting guard which is a position Adelaide are stacked at with Sobey, Drmic, Teys and Moore. Shorter and Moore seems like a waste of an import slot as they both play very similar. Is it just me or is this signing weird?

Topic #41584 | Report this topic

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

He is a combo guard should be good

Reply #641784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't they have Adam Doyle signed?

Reply #641787 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Mrs Doyle, perhaps you should ask him when he gets home tonight ?

Reply #641791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could have used the money we are paying Shorter and Moore or Randle, or at least went back to Randle with an offer. I still don't get why we even need Moore! Give his minutes to Drmic.

Reply #641792 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Shorter sounds like a combo guard which is what Randle was too really and this guy had more success in Turkey than Randle did before he came here.

He does have a 'cheaper' feel about him but keep in mind the 36ers would've had to pay up this offseason to re-sign Sobey and the team also gave Joey a new five year deal too.

Reply #641794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone is 'cheaper' compared to Randle now due to his asking price lol.

Reply #641795 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Although it seems Shorter has played at the 2 more often than not, I was able to find a few games of his (or decent portions of) online and he looks like he has pretty good court vision and was unselfish on offence, keeping the ball moving. Defensively he got caught on screens a little too often but will be an upgrade on Randle.

This year I think you have to look at the imports as a group over what we had last year to get an appreciation of what the team has done. Last season's finals showed what can happen when Randle had a few poor patches on offence.

This team seems much better balanced and pretty deep. If they can click early and stay healthy, this should be a pretty fun team.

Reply #641796 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

By the looks of his stats and highlights, the guy is a capable passer with decent court vision. I'm not going to call him a pure 1 but not a pure 2 either, I think the combo guard suggestions are on the money.

The only thing I can think of is Joey wants to leverage off a successful system he has built around guards that can and are willing to score. In that sense this guy is probably a good pick up.

I would have liked probably a pass first point guard so that Sobey can elevate to be the first scorer option for the team. But Joey is the one getting paid the big bucks over 5 years so he'd know better.

Reply #641797 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Could have used the money we are paying Shorter and Moore or Randle
And what about the other three quarters of Randle's required salary?

Reply #641798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FWIW as far as import production goes, Shorter only needs to average around 10-15 points when combined with Moores production from last season and they will match the production of Randle and Ferguson, so they dont need another Randle, also add in Shorter will likely be a better defender too.

Shorter to me is a smart, very solid, all round combo guard, in the mould of Adam Gibson, so should be capable of playing PG, is a smart passer, and looks very comfortable handling the ball. If he can produce like Gibson did in 2014, around 14ppg 5aspg, and strong defense I will be happy with that, given he is averaged 20/5/5 in Turkey, i think that is quite possible. Remember Turkish league is ranked higher than NBL is.

There are full games of Shorter in Turker against Fnerbache and other teams on youtube for those who want to check him it, more than just a highlight real.

Reply #641799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lesssssssssssss go sixers!!!!1

Reply #641800 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I get the feeling Sobey is learning to run a team and Wright will give him a lot of rope with ball in hand this season

Reply #641805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey Wright getting a 5 year deal is still one of the worst contracta dished out this offseason. Simply didnt have to give him so long. What else is a Basketball coach in the NBL going to do that you felt the desperate need?

Reply #641806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed very odd handing out a 5yr contract in such a small market for coaches. Joey has always gotten good deals, see Brisbane & GC packages. Negotiates well.

Reply #641807 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Shorter has been labelled as a pure scorer , great rebounder for a guard and posesses great ball handling abilities. Considered a triple double threat everytime he plays.
I think whatever he might lack in terms of offence compared with Randle he will make up for on the opposite end with improved defence and rebounding.
I think we will have a better balanced team this season and more options to stand up if 1 gets shut down or has a bad game which was an issue in the Finals last season.

Reply #641832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Kobedoesntrulez for the input.

Reply #641838 | Report this post

Bigballer  
Years ago

They have Doyle. FFS he is a good point guard, no i am not his mum i am a local who watches plenty of PL games. Doyle is glue in the sixers outfit and knows how to run the floor, is unselfish and has quick as shit feet and handles and scores..... Sobey is maturing and will player a stronger role at the point.

Shorter is a combo guard and will play whatever makes sense once the mix is worked out.

YAWN at the usual Joey haters.

Reply #641912 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Same old pre-season posts about the imports before they have even arrived in the country or been officially announced. This has been going on for the last 25 years. Sometimes the predictions are right while other times wrong. I agree it can be frustrating when the pre-season predictions turn out correct with an import that just isn't up to the "YouTube Highlights Reel".

This year we have a very stable Australian content group which have improved to a point where you know what you are going to get. Hopefully with the new management and the loosened purse strings, this year's trio will work out a bit better than previous years. Wright has perhaps had a wider pool of players to choose from with a bigger budget. It is evident unfortunately that $$$ still buy NBL Championships, but at least the 36ers are still here, every year, unlike several of the Championship winners of the past 25 years. Perhaps we should be thankful that we have had the same team to support in Adelaide since the amalgamation into the 36ers in 1985, unlike the countless teams that have come and gone around the country.

Reply #641920 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks Kobedoesntrulez for the input.
Why don't you either dispute their point or make a more useful contribution.

If Randle was asking for over half-a-million or whatever it was, there's a low chance they could afford him even using all three imports' salaries.

Reply #642664 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:30 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754