Anonymous
Years ago

Premier league review/preview

In the men Southern beat Norwood in a tight one. Maybe closer than expected.
West handled Sturt as expected despite a big performance from SamDaky.

In the women North handed Eastern their second straight loss while Norwood took care of Sturt despite their best effort.

Anything much of note in those games or did they go as expected? Also would Sam Daly be a shot to make an NBL roster or still a jump shot away?

Looking ahead in the men we have North vs Southern at Hillcrest & Norwood vs West at Mars.

Men Predictions:
North by 7. Home court to play a role & Starling to have 30 & 20 vs his old side.
Norwood by 2. Oldham might have 40 but Norwood have had the wood over them. This will be a nail biter.

Women's Predictions:
Southern by 11. Too much depth.
Norwood by 6. Eastern a one man band. Good to have another triple double.

Anyone else see any games or have any predictions?

Topic #41586 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Arc or Mars??

Reply #641811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sanders out for flames but looks like Lycett is back to old form. But West should have too much size and depth.
But the final is to be held at Mars. What the hell is going on there, double booked with roller derby or something? For supposedly one of the leading clubs, this seems like a joke with all the talk of finding a home. Maybe they couldn't use courts one and two but could have used the others, but wait, someone forgot their tape measure and the rest are a couple of metres short. What's the backup plan then, St Ignatius?

Reply #641840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely Mars!!! Bit odd but actually think it gives the old timers more of a home court advantage.

Better than Eastern deciding to play Sunday against the showdown. If you have to play Sunday, make it 12pm so people could do both!

Reply #641842 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

who forgot to book ARC?

why does nothing surprise me in the running of basketball in this State?

Reply #641873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CAT - You cannot book it until you know you are actually playing a game on that night. Places like ARC and Mt Barker which are privately owned do not care about "keeping the date free" for basketball. They are about securing bookings and more often than not it is first in best dressed.

It is the same problem the NBL has every finals series and why the days/dates are not essentially the best dates for games, player management etc

And regarding changing Eastern's Sunday game from 2pm to 12pm. If I'm Eastern I want to give my girl's the best opportunity to win. If that is playing at 2pm so the girl's do not have to be at the venue at 11 am then so be it.

Reply #641876 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

who signed off on that crap Venue contract?

When the primary tenant doesn't have an agreement in place to block out ALL dates during Premier league finals you have to wonder.

Beyond belief that there's no time available to showcase Norwood's new home.

Another opportunity lost.

Reply #641891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You will have to point the bone at Norwood then wont you. Id expect it's common practice though. Income is income. Norwood don't host a home final and they lose $$$. Not rocket science.

Reply #641897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd think making Norwood get to the venue at 11am would be even worse for them! Just seems narrow minded.

In the men - can anyone stop Starling or will he just win every year he's in the league?

Reply #641898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood are probably favorite so you work your best hand

Reply #641906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is favourite in the men's games?

Reply #641937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think "COTY in waiting" Nyberg's Tigers will have too many options for everyone else. Could be the big spenders from down South take the double this year.

Reply #641938 | Report this post

EdZepp  
Years ago

Disappointing that Norwood doesn't get the advantage of playing a "home" game. Play all year to secure a higher seed and then lose that advantage.

Norwood has been very good defensively on the perimeter but quality size can hurt them. If Norwood can get stops and limit offensive rebounding opportunities and get out in transition they are a very dangerous team.

Reply #641999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Norwood would have known there was a good chance that they could have had a home final in either men's or women's ages ago. How much would it have cost them to book the arc, a few hundred bucks. For all the money they're spending on the senior programmes that would be a drop in the bucket. Absolute joke.

Reply #642000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. Someone at Norwood has stuffed up. Three weeks to be booked and can be adjusted if they got it wrong during the season. Anyway Mars is better to watch the game from

Reply #642008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA are responsible for booking the stadiums for PL games, not the clubs!

Reply #642014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA are not allowed to talk to ARC, they must communicate through Norwood.

Reply #642022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Premier League starts on 12 August - Arsenal vs Leicester. Can't believe the new season is already around the corner!

Reply #642038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe all five courts are used at the ARC on a Saturday night and not for basketball.

Something is not right

Reply #642082 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

roller skating practice?

obviously held in higher regard than basketball...or better organised

Reply #642093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is what it is - Mars hosted state league games for a long time so won't be a problem.

Who is actually gonna win these games?!

Reply #642099 | Report this post

EdZepp  
Years ago

I will take Norwood and Southern with both games being extremely close and competitive

Reply #642226 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754