Anonymous
Years ago

United, Bullets, Kings to play NBA teams

As reported by Roy Ward, United will play against OKC in America during the NBL season. It says that there will be multiple games/teams. More to come

In what is an historic move for Australian basketball, Sydney Kings, Melbourne United and Brisbane Bullets will face off with the Utah Jazz, Oklahoma City Thunder and Phoenix Suns respectively.

The Kings will hit Utah's Vivint Smart Home Arena on October 3 for their date with the Jazz, before Melbourne face the Thunder at Chesapeake Arena on October 8, with the Bullets rounding out the three-game stretch against the Suns in Phoenix on October 13.

Topic #41591 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane to play the Phoenix Suns as reported by Greg Davis of the Courier Mail.

Reply #641862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney Kings to play the Utah Jazz as reported by Matt Logue.

Reply #641863 | Report this post

Henry Snow  
Years ago

Perth Wildcats not playing anyone.

Reply #641865 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

The NBL is sending the bottom 3 teams from last season. Interesting choices. It would've been good to send at least one team from a smaller market, like Cairns

Reply #641867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not about the NBL teams going over there to win! All to do with big marquee cities. The US is more aware of Syd Mel and Bris than Perth. Makes perfect sense to send those 3 teams.

Reply #641868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it comes down to costs, not marquee cities, whatever that is.

Reply #641871 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Going to get in before all the Perth fans wake up and see that they've been dissed...

I understand taking over the two biggest cities teams, even if they were down the bottom of the ladder, but is BrisVegas really that much higher profile than Perth? Especially with the 'success story' of Mr Ennis, and it's not like they've won many championships this decade or anything...

I'd say it's because it's the NBL run team and trying to get their profile up a bit, maybe some proper ownership and sponsorship dollars in...

I wonder if this will help the Kings hurry up with completing their team before the season tips off this time? Might help with recruiting though... I wonder what Bogues is doing, might want to have a run if back to full strength, and make good on that whole "signing with the Kings" deal from years ago! :D

Reply #641872 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think this can only be good. It would be nice if one of the games was hosted here, but that could be a next step. I wonder what sort of deal they had to do to set this up though. Unlike the euro teams that regularly play pre season games against NBA teams, our sides wont offer much in the way of a contest.

Reply #641874 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

This is a rare win for the eastern seaboard. Drink it in, lads

Reply #641877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually would have thought 36ers would have been a better choice to play OKC, considering T-Ferg went from them to the NBA and they had the only 2 Aussie NBL players in the Summer League.

Reply #641878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the teams get beaten by 50pts, what will happen then?

Reply #641879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I somehow dont think Adam Silver cared that Wright Creek and Sobey were apart of Summer League when they made the choice of the big Eastern cities to compete! NBL needs those specific teams to do well for the domestic competition to thrive. This is the best case scenario for the NBL, its not about wins and losses but exposure of the right views of the NBL.

US fans arent all that smart, would wonder why NZ is representing the 'Aussie league', would wonder why the 36ers sound like the 76ers and have a trash Pelicans rip off of a logo, and Perth is unlucky... if this was somehow played in AUS theyd have to be playing with the crowds and stadium they put on show... but its not. Mel Syd and Bris are ideal.

Reply #641880 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Going to get in before all the Perth fans wake up and see that they've been dissed...

No Perth?? WTF!!?!???!?!
Haha no, serious, makes sense to me from a practical POV. The 3 biggest cities, all of which are 4+ hours closer to the US than Perth.

Love that they're trying this

Reply #641881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean When they get beaten by 50pts. And when Westbrook scores 80+.
He's gonna tear Melb a new one.

Reply #641882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have been kings vs okc

Humphries vs Adams.

Reply #641886 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I don't think anyone is under any illusions that the games will be close. It will be a drubbing of the highest order but good experience for our players and exposure for the league and teams involved. Great initiative! This may be a pathway to getting the same games played in Australia next off-season.

Reply #641887 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

To use a college hoops parlance, hopefully the deal is a home and home setup.

Reply #641888 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Any possibility that Kestelman is trying to get NBA clubs to buy stakes in NBL teams, like Manchester City did with Melbourne Heart?

Reply #641889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He might be just wearing costs to start the games rather than fly teams here. One way or another - great attitude IMO.

If he were footing the bill, he'd have to pay loads to fly NBA players here, top shelf accommodation, etc. This way, he can say to the NBL guys: help me get this done; we'll fly premium economy and be in a normalish 5* hotel, but you get to play NBA guys - that cool?

Reply #641890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westbrook won't go off and score 80, as he will barely play, if he does at all.

Maybe Abrines will get 30 or some other bench dude

Reply #641895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PERFECT choice of cities.

Reply #641903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see Melbourne and Brisbane have actual NBL fixtures within a day or two of these games, will these be re-scheduled?

Reply #641905 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Brisbane has re-schduled their match vs NZ already. Good idea to get the biggest market teams over to the US although I would have liked to have seen Perth go over instead of Brisbane (even though I am a Brisbane fan) but I guess I understand it decision.

Great day for the sport in Australia.

Reply #641907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't worry Perth Wildcats fans - it's one less game that gives Matty Knight the opportunity to get injured again before the season starts.

Reply #641908 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Jet lag to/from the USA is a bitch.
That's going to affect those 3 teams at both ends of their trips.

Reply #641909 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

any idea on if it will be broadcasted?

Reply #641910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All NBA preseason games are televised so it's just a matter of a broadcaster here grabbing the feed. So yes.

Reply #641911 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Roy Ward:

Larry Kestelman says @NBL was invited by @NBA to play those preseason games. #NBL18

Reply #641914 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The real question is, who's broadcasting it into Australia - Fox Sports, ESPN, NBLTV, nobody?

Reply #641915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But it didn't heard LK & JLo et al. were at the NBA All-Star Weekend hobnobbing with all of the NBA. That sort of thing creates connections and relationships which have yielded this.

Reply #641917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET relex that will be announced later on, let the news sink in about the games first! Geez

Reply #641918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United, Bullets, Kings in USA. Sixers in Singapore. #global

What are Wildcats doing this preseason? Going down south to Waroona again?... LOL!

Reply #641919 | Report this post

Bodega Owner  
Years ago

Does the NBL season usually start in October?

This will be a massive advantage to teams not going to the US

Reply #641924 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Round 1
Thu. Oct. 5, 2017 Adelaide v. Melbourne
Fri. Oct. 6, 2017 Cairns v. Illawarra
Sat. Oct. 7, 2017 Sydney v. Adelaide
Sat. Oct. 7, 2017 Perth v. Brisbane
Sun. Oct. 8, 2017 New Zealand v. Cairns

Round 2
Thu. Oct. 12, 2017 Cairns v. Adelaide
Fri. Oct. 13, 2017 New Zealand v. Sydney
Fri. Oct. 13, 2017 Perth v. Illawarra
Sat. Oct. 14, 2017 Adelaide v. Melbourne
Sun. Oct. 15, 2017 Brisbane v. New Zealand
Sun. Oct. 15, 2017 Sydney v. Illawarra

Reply #641925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Does the NBL season usually start in October?"

????????????? How long have you been following the NBL for? A week?

It's not bad really. The Kings game is a week before their season opener (perfect). Bullets have a bye in Round 2 when they play in the US. United is between their first and second game.

Also all three teams are playing US west coast-ish teams, which isn't that far from Aus east coast.

Reply #641926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc that schedule is out of date.

The game below has been changed to December 3rd:

Sun. Oct. 15, 2017 Brisbane v. New Zealand

Reply #641927 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I know it's out of date and flexible. I was just posting it to point out the implications of these NBA games on the schedule, and follow on from Bodega owner's post.

Reply #641928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL in the original schedule had one Sunday in December with no game, which was a provision for this change. They had a contingency in place for it. I see no issue, Kings a week before their season opener, Bullets during their bye after one game, United also after their first game.

With NBA starting late October it was always going to be in early October. It's not like these games are being played in Round 5 or 9 or 15.

Reply #641929 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Cats fans are losing their minds on twitter over being snubbed for this.

Reply #641939 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I just can't see the NBA teams playing their superstar players in these games. Primarily because of the risk of injury for an exhibition game that doesn't really promote them, it promotes the NBL more like it.

Reply #641940 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Still think at least last season's champions should represent the nbl. Why would it matter from where a team is from? Don't care as long as the nbl one day it can be sustainable and get revenue back instead relying on owners with money.

Lk needs to be recognized for what he has achieved in a short amount of time. Well done to him and the front office.

Reply #641942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cats fans are losing their minds on twitter over being snubbed for this."

They're really not.

Reply #641944 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

At this point of the relationship, I think we send whoever the NBA invites. If they want the 3 cities that they've actually heard of, then fair enough.
I really don't think that Perth being there rather than Brisbane (or whoever) is going to make or break the concept at this point.

Reply #641945 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

According to @Lachy_Reid:

Awesome work by @NBL bosses to organise NBL + @NBA games - Timing meant @PerthWildcats decided they wanted to focus on the local season.

If that's the case, then zero reasons for Cats fans to complain.

Reply #641946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The TAB have already released odds for these games with the NBA teams favoured to win by at least 30 points.
If the likes of OKC play guys like Westbrook minimal minutes surely our teams a chance to cover the line.

Reply #641948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats have played an NBA team before. After October the four main cities have played an NBA team once. Fair.

Reply #641949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a preseason friendly, anything can happen.

Reply #641950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if the Wildcats didn't want to participate during timing doesn't meant they would've been selected. Sounds like a "we didn't want to anyway" excuse for being excluded. Why do they assume even if they wanted to they'd be picked? lol

Reply #641951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor Adelaide

Reply #641953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide were invited and accepted an invite to the Singapore preseason tournament. Poor Perth - nowhere.

Reply #641954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, that is the worst troll ever.

Reply #641955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it was, a very lame dig at Adelaide fans.

Reply #641957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth can make the finals for the 32nd consecutive time in a row and top it off with a 3rd championship in a row they won't mind missing a practice game against an NBA team.

Reply #641963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have seen worse trolls.
Just move on. Great for the NBL hopefully NBA teams will come here down the track

Reply #641965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well this is interesting.

"Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson, when asked by ESPN, said he did not know of the announcement, or any discussions prior"

"First I've heard of it was this morning so obviously been no discussion with Perth about that," Gleeson said. “I was just like everybody else and seen the announcement this morning.”

Reply #641967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right, Perth said no to the NBA over scheduling. Im done!!

Reply #641968 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Exactly ...this is a great day for the whole league.

Yes some missed out, hey it happens.

Perth would probably be better off not playing given their travel requirements and how old their roster is and prone to injury.

Reply #641969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be Perth, Adelaide or Breakers the following year who knows.

Reply #641972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Right, Perth said no to the NBA over scheduling. Im done!!"

HAHAHAHA my thoughts exactly.

Reply #641974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth had power and clout over the league when it was under BA and pre-LK. Marvin was a little despot-like leader. It carried over to the LK ownership era with him jumping up and down. But he saw the writing on the wall - the power had changed. Got out before the power completely evaporated. There is a new order now.

Reply #641975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

power had shifted*

Reply #641976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson, when asked by ESPN, said he did not know of the announcement, or any discussions prior"

"First I've heard of it was this morning so obviously been no discussion with Perth about that," Gleeson said. "I was just like everybody else and seen the announcement this morning."

Hilarious, the truth didn't take long to come out.

Reply #641977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of people complain when threads here become all about Perth, but then you get moronic comments from the dickhead above, and then the threads become all about Perth...

Reply #641978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, the moronic comments came out from the Wildcats organisation.

Reply #641979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretending that you turned down the NBA when you weren't even invited is so ridiculous arrogant and fits that franchie to a tee. Arrogance.

Reply #641980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was discussed with Perth in the initial stages. Trevor doesn't run the club.

Reply #641981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lachy Reid needs to take it easy. PERTH arent involved and thats smart for the league as a whole. To say it was some how their choice is awkward. Its my choice im not dating Charize Theron too...

Reply #641998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha yeah I choose not to be a millionaire.

Reply #642001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travelling to the US to play a meaningless practice game against an NBA team during the NBL season does not help the Wildcats defend its championship. It might be the highlight of the year for Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane but Perth regards winning 3 championships in a row as more important. Besides Perth has already played in the Macdonalds championship where champions from all major leagues played including the NBA champs played, now that is something worth crowing about. Anyway it's good to see the non-finals team have a "win" once in a while.

Reply #642011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll translate the above: "Boo hoo hoo we missed out we're the best team how dare they oh wait no we didn't want to go anyway, championships are won in Round 1 let's remind everyone we won the last two bla bla bla"

Reply #642040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" let's remind everyone we won the last two bla bla bla""

Also three of the last four, and four of the past eight. Commonly known as a dynasty. Hows your club doing?

Reply #642049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm neutral. Nice try, though.

Reply #642055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Practice games as a highlight of the year...talk about setting low expectations. Suppose some clubs need the hype to put bums on seats cause their clubs are so mediocre.

Reply #642064 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Pretty sub-standard trolling from both directions IMO. Good thing it's a long pre-season.

Reply #642067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can see these games going the way of the Wildcats vs Rockets (sans Olajuwon) back in the 90s.

Reply #642112 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The matches are expected to be on FOX SPORTS and also available on NBA League Pass.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/nba-nbl-bond-is-only-positive/

Reply #642115 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Can see these games going the way of the Wildcats vs Rockets (sans Olajuwon) back in the 90s.

No way, the Wildcats were like a deer in headlights in that game and got pumped by 40+. None of these NBA teams could beat these NBL teams by 40 points in this day and age, the gap has closed significantly in the last 20 years.

Keep in mind NBA teams have lost pre-season games to European teams more than a few times now. In recent years the Lakers as defending NBA champs lost to Barcelona, CSKA Moscow beat Cleveland and Fenerbahce beat Boston all in 2010, Barcelona beat Dallas in 2012, CSKA Moscow beat Minnesota in 2013, Alba Berlin beat San Antonio in 2014, Fenerbahce beat Brooklyn in 2015 and Real Madrid beat OKC in 2016.

Reply #642120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac another article suggests the games will air on ESPN. Think it was teh Roy Ward piece.

Reply #642132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wildcats vs Rockets 1995 World Club Cup game was different for many reasons.

First it was a real game.

Secondly NBL season had just ended, everyone else (Europe, US) were in pre-season. This was in mid-October.

Wildcats win the title vs. Tigers, all hung over after celebrating and then have to quickly fly from Perth to London via Singapore (1995 connections yo). They arrive hungover/jetlagged and mentally checked out after their season was over.

Although they won the bronze medal after being on the wrong side of the draw, after defeating Euroleague champions Real Madrid. Pretty good achievement. The highest ever by an Australian club. If Cats were on the other side of the draw probably would've been in the Final vs. Houston. Main thing is they came 3rd and medalled. NBL strangely don't really showcase it.

Reply #642135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind if my employee gave me a free ticket to America, I think they call them junkets...don't forget the autographs and selfies boys...all official business of course!

Reply #642137 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Wildcats vs Rockets 1995 World Club Cup game was different for many reasons.

First it was a real game.
As opposed to what? How is there a difference?

Secondly NBL season had just ended, everyone else (Europe, US) were in pre-season. This was in mid-October.
As opposed to these games, which are in early-mid October.

Wildcats win the title vs. Tigers
Nope.

If Cats were on the other side of the draw probably would've been in the Final vs. Houston.
They beat a Real Madrid team that had nothing to gain from winning, and which had been shuffling lineups throughout the tournament to test various combinations and give minutes to bench players. As teams do in the pre-season. Perth, on the other hand, went out there with nothing to lose: a whole off-season to recover from any injuries, and a night after being embarrassed.

Main thing is they came 3rd and medalled.
They won one game.

No way, the Wildcats were like a deer in headlights in that game and got pumped by 40+.
They came out a bit deer-in-headlights, bricking several wide open layups and just generally looking awful, but they did go on a run in the second quarter to cut the margin to nine at the half.

Reply #642165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched it live on TV once 22 years ago so sorry about not getting the finer points right. However the point remains, good achievement, 3rd in the world. No idea what your point was. Later.

Reply #642168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah they won one game but that was the format of the tournament. Again point?

Reply #642170 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rstq3-KaMJk

Reply #642183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice link. kr is watching it again for the 1,000th time analysing it all.

Reply #642188 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754