Years ago

Melbourne United sign Peter Hooley

Melbourne United is pleased to announce the signing of exciting young-gun Peter Hooley for the 2017-18 NBL season.

Hooley will replace Daniel Dillon who recently sustained an achilles injury that will see him sidelined for the next six to eight months.

Averaging 12.5 points and 4.6 rebounds a game for the University of Albany including delivering one of the most impressive fairy-tale finishes to a game that college basketball has ever seen, Hooley is looking forward to starting his NBL career in Melbourne.

Topic #41605 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did really well in the English pro league too! Dominated I heard.

Reply #642342 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

^
2016-2017: Plymouth University Raiders (United Kingdom-BBL): 11 games: 6.0ppg, 1.6rpg, 1.2apg, 2FGP: 42.9%, 3FGP: 29.7%, FT: 65.2%

I don't think 6 points per game equates to dominated

Reply #642343 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The BBL is a pretty poor league so that doesn't bode well. I think Darryl Corletto was MVP there.

Reply #642345 | Report this post

Years ago

I think Darryl Corletto and his mate scammed coaching credentials over there as well.

Reply #642347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corletto was the coach so he took all the shots, mvp doesn't mean much then. Good move to get young australian talent back into the league

Reply #642348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He walked out on Plymouth, wasn't getting game time. Kings offered a contract as well I hear but took Melbourne offer, couldn't see game time at Kings.

Reply #642349 | Report this post

Years ago

Remember when a BBC investigative journalist came on here to help in exposing the fake coach of Plymouth? LOL memories :)

Reply #642350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He won't see a lot of court time there either.

Reply #642352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't have called it walking out on Plymouth with all the other stuff that was heard to have gone on up there with the coaching staff and team...

After a successful trip away with the kings and an MVP of the tournament in China I think a kings offer was bound to happen.

Hears he had 2 Solid offers from kings and united. Will work hard for his minutes,
Like any rookie. Good on him, well deserved!

Reply #642361 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Seems like he has had quite a year for Ballarat 20ppg and 4.5 ast.

Wish Adelaide would have signed him, another SA junior to a interstate club

Reply #642362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide spelled his name wrong.

Reply #642364 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I watched alot of BBL games in 2011 when I lived in Leicester. The standard was somewhere in between SA ABL and NBL.

A number of the clubs had decent European passport players who didn't count as imports.

Reply #642365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter Hooley is the beneficiary of an injury to Daniel Dillon. Nothing more, nothing less. He's good, but 6ppg in the BBL, meh

Reply #642370 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Speaking of British pro basketball I was watching the Irish pro league for a bit of a laugh, and yeah... wasn't a whole lot better than our local social league.

People like to mock the NBL but in the scheme of things we're extremely lucky!

Reply #642372 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The British league was where Julius Hodge's playing career ended, got sacked for numerous misconduct related incidents. Hardly surprising his career ended that way in a mickey mouse league.

Reply #642374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Libertine you've lived in a lot of places!

Reply #642377 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"The British league was where Julius Hodge's playing career ended, got sacked for numerous misconduct related incidents. Hardly surprising his career ended that way in a mickey mouse league."

How is Julius Hodges' conduct a reflection on the BBL?

Reply #642449 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Hooley dooley

Reply #642474 | Report this post

Hespect  
Years ago

Re: BBL

Not sure if signing to be the backup of the player coach is a good idea.

Reply #642475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plymouth Raiders were an all-you-can-eat buffet for Australians.

Reply #642478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley might have been in the league sooner if there wasn't only 8 teams

Reply #642480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. There is only 8 teams, so no need for what ifs.
2. He averaged 6 a game in the BBL which is not the great.
3. There are many players that have been the beneficiary of injuries to others, from Corban Wroe, to Isaiah Tueta and more. Hooley was the 4th choice for this position after Sobey, Webster and Dillon (Injured).
4. It will be a be step up, and he may be ok, but only time will tell. If he doesn't play well, he will fall in the Melb Utd heap with Odigie, Hadziomarovic, Tomlinson.
5. Next year there are quite a few talented college kids coming out, so play well or it will be curtains.

Reply #642504 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

How is Hadziomarvic a fail?

He was injured all last year and the year before that I thought he was pretty good on the second unit.

Reply #642517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did they sign Hooley over him then?

Reply #642522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley is more of a combo guard, more athletic.

Reply #642528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley athletic?

Reply #642562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley fail.

Reply #642577 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754