Bodega Owner
Years ago

A look back - DeAndre Daniels

A comment Derrick Cook Jr made in his press conference yesterday got me thinking.

He said something along the lines of: I wanted to play for the Wildcats because I could play my game in my position and do what I do best, sometimes when you play internationally, teams get you to play out of your natural position and it makes you look a lot worse than what you really are.

Did this happen to DeAndre?

I think the Wildcats got a little too confident after Ennis, thinking any "high" draft pick could fit into the system.

For a team and fanbase that demands success, it was clear throughout the season that DeAndre just wasn't the right fit. He was a 4 asked to play the 3, and he just didn't have it in him.

If it wasn't for the deal with Toronto, I'm pretty sure the cats would have cut him mid season.

His numbers for the season

14.8 points
7.7 rebounds per game
1.2 assists
1.1 blocks per game.

He led the league in rebounds that season too.

I don't think DeAndre was a dud import, but was the victim of an experiement that didn't work.

Topic #41627 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blame Gleeson more than anyone else. Dude has a history of square pegs in round holes. See Hire, Wagstaff masquerading as players who can hit 3s

Reply #642789 | Report this post

Bodega Owner  
Years ago

Hire and Wagstaff were around before Gleeson...

He's kept the core in tack which has led to three championships during his time in Perth.

Whether you like him or don't, you can't fault success. He's been more successful than unsuccessful as Wildcats coach.

Reply #642790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct Hire and Wagstaff were there before him. But Bevo also didn't see Hire as a 2 guard and three point sniper

Reply #642791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO, Daniels would have made a good defensive role player. Unfortunately, he was on a team with other non scoring defensive players, and was required to generate offence.

I think he gave some players trouble as a defender.

Reply #642803 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Yes...DD was not a bad player but was certainly not comfortable playing the 3 even though he had a deent stroke from outside.

"See Hire, Wagstaff masquerading as players who can hit 3s" Hire @ 37% didn't do too bad last season.

Reply #642806 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Cats learnt a valuable lesson with DD, the recruiting since has being on point. Well JJ aside but surely he was meant to be Prathers replacement.

Clearly he could play, he just couldn't dribble, something very much required as an NBL three. He also wasn't given much opportunity to utilise his post game from memory, that one is on Trev.

Reply #642858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Gleeson the most untalented coach in the best club scenario ever? Can't think of anyone who would rival him in terms of this in the NBL historically.

Reply #642859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure that his years at Townsville could be considered at the "best club"

Reply #642863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet again more crap about nothing with anonymous' opinions that are equally worth less than nothing.

Reply #642864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow yet another dumb anon misconstruing the post that clearly was about Cats not Crocs because he heard something that hurt his teeny weeeny feelings.

LEAVE TREVOR ALONE! (in Leave Britney alone voice)

Reply #642866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yet again more crap about nothing with anonymous' opinions that are equally worth less than nothing."

Uh huh...

Reply #642868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In that case let's throw in the Melbourne Tigers stint too. Idiot!

Reply #642871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last 6 posts in particular made some quality points about Daniels. Very rewarding to read.

Reply #642894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a direct response to:

"Blame Gleeson more than anyone else. Dude has a history of square pegs in round holes. See Hire, Wagstaff masquerading as players who can hit 3s"

The first of those six posts was to a very valid point re: Gleeeon and Daniels at the Wildcats. Then it descended into people crying about the criticism.

Reply #642895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The first of those six posts was a reply to a very valid point*

Reply #642896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and to answer the question - probably only Lemanis.

Reply #642897 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754