Luuuc
Years ago

Prather signs with Melbourne United

... according to Lachy Reid

Topic #41638 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

@Lachy_Reid ยท
Casey Prather will play for @MelbUnitedHQ ... that will hurts @PerthWildcats fans @nbl #donedeal

Reply #643043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pls update tracker.

Reply #643045 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Wow! Lachy was spot on with Cotton last time so won't doubt his source. Happy we get to see him stay in the NBL but the shitestorm from the Red army...

Reply #643047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ca$$$$$$$ey prather

Reply #643048 | Report this post

He'll be a popular guy walking in to the Perth Arena this season if it's true!

Reply #643049 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Wow, if the Wildcats couldn't afford him, Melbourne must have paid a nice sum for Prather.

Can't fault him, if its not the NBA he has to make what he can.

All the best to Casey.

Reply #643050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth has let go an assistant coach, now another star player, they are either running out of cash or forgetting what got them where they are?

Reply #643051 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

^Jamie O'Loughlin left on his own terms

Reply #643052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

had no choice once the nbl brought in the courtside chairs cap

Reply #643053 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

From memory the Wilcats fans were feral against Lisch when he came back in Hawks colours.

I would hope the Red Army stay classy and understand PRather gave them 2 good years and they should be glad for that. Just as they can release players, players can also choose where to play right?

Reply #643054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"From memory the Wilcats fans were feral against Lisch when he came back in Hawks colours."

hahahahaha what?

Reply #643055 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Seems logical replacing cheap import Lasan Kromah!

If MU sign Randle to replace Ware MU are going to have a lot of hate directed at them this season.

Reply #643056 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

Why would we be nice to him? He plays for another team now and anything to put an opposition off their game to help the wildcats win is the home court advantage every team would want!

Reply #643057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucky there is no precedent of a Melbourne-based club owner who runs the league as his own personal fantasy basketball comp.

Reply #643058 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Sorry I meant "From memory the Wilcats fans WEREN'T feral against Lisch when he came back in Hawks colours"

Reply #643059 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

Cats fans were not, have not been feral to Lisch.

Prather should get the same treatment.

All the money seems to have gone to Cotton.

Reply #643060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cue anonymous conspiracy that the Cats' decision to not play against the NBA teams led Prather to leave the team...

Reply #643062 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'd hope that we still would have made a sizeable offer to Casey. Cotton was the icing but Prather was still a big part of the cake IMO.
Melbourne got themselves a good one.
I'm kind of torn on this one. Love what he does and glad he is still in the NBL, but obviously ... :/

Reply #643063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps he waited too long for that better offer and the wildcats ship has sailed. I'm super excited to see what Devondrick will bring anyways.

I dont beleive Lisch got a harsh treatment. He didnt get an offer from perth on returning to the NBL did he?

Good luck to Casey. great guy and has nothing but love for Perth.

Reply #643064 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

All supporters will try and get under the oppositions skin, the red army will always appreciate what he's done for the club but he now plays for Melbourne. It's all part of the game and I'm sure as a professional Casey will understand that. It has nothing to do with "class" it's about helping your team win.

Reply #643066 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

From what I've observed from reactions when they show West Coast and Freo players on the big screen, the majority of the fans in Perth Arena are Eagles fans.

He is going to get the absolute cover booed off him when he comes back...

Reply #643067 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

Wow, pretty shocked by this, thought he definitely wouldn't be back in the NBL with another club. As a Wildcats fan it hurts, but as an NBL fan its great seeing high quality players stay in the league. He will be a scary addition to Melbourne.

I think he'll cop it from the fans a bit, but at the same time will be respected. From memory Jawai, Jervis and Beal got good/respectful receptions and acknowledgement from Perth at the start of their return games, before then being treated no differently from any other opposition players.

I wonder what the difference in $$ for the contract offers was?

Reply #643068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grateful he didn't go to Adelaide.
Wish him luck

Reply #643070 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can anyone remind me of the United roster?

?/Adnam
Goulding/Hooley
Prather/Moller/Barlow
Andersen/Wesley
Majok/Boone

Is Tomlinson still around?

Reply #643071 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

Nope tomlinson out unless they don't sign a 3rd import(unlikely) there are only 11 roster spots available to each team.

Reply #643072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think I heard on a pod once that Tomlinson has parted ways with the club - you add Ware into that and that is a scary team.

Reply #643073 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm hoping he gets a huge cheer the first time he is announced at Perth Arena - so he knows we appreciate what he brought us - and then after that, booed loudly just like any other player who ever pulled a CJ on us! :p

Reply #643075 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

The $$ difference and situation interests me most.

Cats offer Prather X.

Prather says he wants to look elsewhere, and if he were return would want X + Y.

Wildcats say they can't afford X + Y, and say they need to recruit others and can't wait.

Wildcats sign Cotton and two new imports.

Prather can't/doesn't want a gig elsewhere.

Melbourne approach Prather.

Deal done.

Reply #643076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can they afford Ware? Im hoping they skimp on the PG position. Fingers crossed. im actually keen to see Adnam get some more minutes.

Reply #643077 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

Hardly a scary team when Prather and Goulding are riddled with injuries...

Reply #643078 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

Don't forget Andersen's age and the fact he is coming off a knee injury. Oh and Wesley is soft as butter

Reply #643080 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

"Can they afford Ware? " HAHAHAH

Reply #643084 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Everybody was shitting themselves when they announced that Jackson/Goulding/Anderson combo last year until it became apparent that they'd assembled a roster riddled with injury and that couldn't play together. Let's see what vickerman can do with this collection of expensive trophy signings before we hand United the trophy.

And yes, Wesley is a soft, cack-handed little whiner.

Reply #643086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Jamie O'Loughlin left on his own terms

Actually that is incorrect - he was made redundant

Reply #643087 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They are favourites for the championship ahead of $4.50 Perth at $4. Assuming they get an import PG, that might be worth a bet given the presumed coaching upgrade.

Reply #643088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

redundant is just another word for sacked

Reply #643089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, thanks for that!

Reply #643090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hoping he gets a huge cheer the first time he is announced at Perth Arena - so he knows we appreciate what he brought us - and then after that, booed loudly just like any other player who ever pulled a CJ on us!

Me too. Honor and celebrate him before/after the game.

There is no treachery here. Wildcats have signed plenty of free agents from other clubs before. Just business opportunities, that's all.

Nice to have him in the league still, and look forward to seeing how the Wildcats will match up against him.

Reply #643091 | Report this post

Pennywise  
Years ago

Cats to retain Cotton would have had to offer 350,000 at the least. Breaking the bank, they could not afford Prather after that. It was either Prather or Cotton. Cotton brought a lot more to the team than Prather, so his signing made more sense in the long run, every team needs a proven point guard.

Melbourne would be blowing the soft cap by about 1 million! Especially with more imports to come! Prather would have to be on at least 350,000 as well you would think?

Anderson? 300,000?
Goulding? 250,000?

Reply #643094 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Prather makes Melbourne so much more dangerous.

Basically taking out the passive Todd Blanchfield and inserting the MVP runner up. If Ware comes back, that will be 4 starters that you cannot leave open plus Prather's ability to drive with the floor spread.

Melbourne deserve to be the favourites even though they are always up there because of 'on paper' analysis at pre-season.

Prather is quality as is Vickerman. Look out league.

Reply #643095 | Report this post

Pennywise  
Years ago

Melbourne deserve to be the favorites? The owners are desperate to buy a championship!! They looked the best on paper last year and look how that turned out!? Not the faves by a long shot! No one is in this league.

Reply #643096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really happy with this signing. United will be legit. Perth fans will spend the season pointing out any floor in his game and celebrate every United loss, but end of the day, United will be making a deep run.

Waiting on the Perth statement, stating they werent keen after all, and had to think about round 1 haha

If Vickerman could pull off a Randle signing now, then that would break 2 fan bases hearts haha

Great to have fun imports in the NBL!

Reply #643097 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pennywise,

Goulding is on $400k and talk was Andersen got $500k-$600k per to lure him back from Europe. Both players are entering the second and final year of their deals.

Reply #643099 | Report this post

Pennywise  
Years ago

Randle wanted 600,000...yeah no, you're not getting him. Also mentioned he would never play for anyone but Adelaide. He rejected offers from United to begin with. If they signed Randle not only would it be the biggest abuse ever of a soft cap, it would cause havoc and divide the league. Owners would be crying favoritism.

Reply #643100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne's Depth Chart
Import PG - Ware?/Adnam
Goulding/Hooley
Prather/Moller/Barlow
Andersen/Wesley
Boone/Majok

This roster is better on paper last years roster. However Vickerman >>> Demopoulos.

Love the fit of Prather especially if Ware is back. The best starting 5 on paper out of the all the teams so far. However the bench appears to be weaker on paper. Particularly with Dillon being out for the season and with Hooley/Moller being unproven at NBL Level.

Essentially Prather replaces Blanchfield, Adnam Tomlinson, Moller and Hooley replace Moore and Odigie the way the team is structured.

We should see some more motion unlike Demopoulos iso ball. Can't wait to see this team play.

Reply #643101 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Randle wanted 600,000...yeah no, you're not getting him.

Randle actually wanted $800k and he's MU's back up plan if Ware doesn't re-sign.

Reply #643102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne deserve to be the favorites? The owners are desperate to buy a championship!! They looked the best on paper last year and look how that turned out!? Not the faves by a long shot! No one is in this league.

difference between this year penny wise and last year is that they finally have a coach who they can work with and understands basketball. demopolous was a dud and had no idea. Vickerman will instill some much needed discipline, united almost made the finals on talent alone last season so here is hoping they can do more with vickerman in charge.

Reply #643103 | Report this post

Pennywise  
Years ago

I think you guys need to settle on the idea the point guard will be a big signing. It's likely to be a solid D-league player or Europe player around the Level of Travis Trice.

Let's just say their roster looks like this...

Adnam 70,000
Prather 350,000
Anderson 500,000
Goulding 400,000
Majok 100,000
Hooley 65,000
Moller 65,000
Barlow 100,000
Boone 150,000
Wesley 100,000

At least 1.9 million spent already...

Reply #643105 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

United has perennially underachieved, I'm not sure how it will turn out this season. Can all the talent and big names gel together? Vickerman is more respectable than DD but there are some questions about last season drama with the Kings.

One thing is for sure every season, can't underestimate them and I think that goes for almost every team in this compact league we have. Last season was intense and this one is building up like a crescendo.

Reply #643106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just curious is it still 5 players under $400K combined or has that increased?

Reply #643108 | Report this post

Pennywise  
Years ago

A weak bench will hurt. As soon as they play the bench mob teams will take advantage.

They better hope their starters can keep the team up. Perth and Adelaide have pretty deep benches...

Reply #643109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ca$$$$$$$ey prather

$$$$$$$ bryce cotton $$$$$$$

Reply #643111 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

IMO Moller is on more than that if Sydney "couldn't afford" to keep him.

Reply #643112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those figures are made up anyway.

Reply #643113 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Moller probably came to Melbourne to get more playing time, not so much now.

Reply #643116 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

Great to see all the try-hards laughing at Perth already. I seem to remember them laughing before the start of last season -- and the season before -- and the season etc. Start laughing when and if you ever win one.

Reply #643117 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

If you had to choose between Cotton and prather you take Cotton. If Torrey Craig got ano nba 2way contract and I was prather I would be pissed. Guy deserves his shot at the big time,

Reply #643118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

117 above does NOT speak on behalf of all Perth fans

Reply #643119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the 5 players dollars went up to $450. Hopefully next year the over spenders pay the tax.

Adnam $50g
Hooley $50g
Barlow $50g
Moller $65g
Majook $120g
Well under the $450g

All gues work. Rumour was Barlow signed for minimum but could earn more and still be under.

Reply #643122 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I expect Moller is floating somewhere closer to 100k.

Reply #643124 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

You reckon? I think he would be stoked to get paid anything more than the minimum guaranteed for the next 3 years, after all he was only a DP at the Kings.

Reply #643125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 5 player minimum/maximum went up by the exact amount it needed to for Melbourne to sign the guys they wanted.

Reply #643126 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm only guessing, but the one reason he isn't still in Sydney is because Melbourne out-bid them and they "couldn't afford" to match.

Reply #643127 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Landing Blanchfield might've played a part in letting Moller walk.

Reply #643129 | Report this post

Dennis  
Years ago

Has Barlow really dropped off by that much? I remember him being up there with Newley and Ingles at one point?

Reply #643152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth now only have 4 assistants ;)

Reply #643157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lings were fence sitters with Moller. He wanted to play there but the Kings were indecisive and despite all of Gazes platitudes about Moller he was the reason Moller left. Indecisive.

Reply #643158 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you had to choose between Cotton and prather you take Cotton. If Torrey Craig got ano nba 2way contract and I was prather I would be pissed. Guy deserves his shot at the big time,
I'd take Prather. Thought he was the epitome of the contributing, team-fitting import last season.

Reply #643159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. Cotton was an unstoppable scorer but I think Prather's return to fitness at the tail end of the season was the biggest factor in the Cats finding form and sweeping the playoffs.

Reply #643166 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

There's no doubting that if Perth didn't sign Cotton last season, they don't make the playoffs, let alone win the championship, so can't fault them for putting all their $$$ in his basket...

I wouldn't be surprised about the indecisive reasoning behind Moller leaving to the Unitards... Kings were very vocal about wanting to get imports first and then fit people in around that, and they weren't going to fill import spots until closer to Summer League time, so I can't blame Craig for locking in a more reliable deal when the Kings were dicking him around... I don't think he's anywhere near the minimum, but more mid-range, of course that is a completely uneducated guess...

Perth are notoriously tight with teh purse strings, but you'd think they would have stretched all they could with Prather so he'd at least have to be on at least $300K? Other than Adnams value being inflated, if I had to put numbers to others, Pennywise's would seem fairly close... If they manage to snag a Ware or Randle, and I know the grain of salt with which this needs to be taken as a Kings fan especially will be huge, but that would be a giant mockery of the soft cap, and I would take much joy in seeing them implode again...

Reply #643169 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Agreed. Cotton was an unstoppable scorer but I think Prather's return to fitness at the tail end of the season was the biggest factor in the Cats finding form and sweeping the playoffs.

Totally.
We were basically a .500 team after Cotton arrived, until Prather got healthy again, at which point we put the jets on, won our last 2 games of the regular season, and swept the playoffs.

Cotton seems to get most of the credit, and of course is rightly remembered for scoring 45 in game 3, but to me Prather is the guy whose input is harder to replace.
(I'm not saying Cotton isn't a top shelf player btw!)

Reply #643172 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

I don't mean to understate Prathers value, he was a key piece. I guess i feel it is harder to get cottons skillset than Prathers. Prather's playmaking improved heaps over his two years, however with cottons playmaking that skill was less required. Cotton at the 2 provides more offence creation than jj who couldnt dribble and was a three and even i'm going to dribble into a double team beal (loved Dolla though).

Walker should be a legitimate 3pt threat, it will be interesting to see if this opens up Perths offence. It seems every time they decide to go more upbeat they still end up grinding. He could potentially replace Prathers numbers on offence, hopefully he can play defence though because there is no real shotblocker this year waiting in the paint.

Reply #643184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne and Perth look top of the class.
Brisbane at the bottom, with everyone else batlling for 3rd to 7th

Reply #643194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems every time they decide to go more upbeat they still end up grinding.

That my be the intention but when the refs side with their way of 'grinding', especially at home which teeters on the edge then it's easy to revert back.

Reply #643207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Led us to 2 chip's, I won't go out of my way to boo him.

New imports = new fun to me

Reply #643265 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think the Sixers have upgraded on last season's imports overall and with the expected improvement of the Aussie core unless MU land a star PG we probably deserve to be up there as favourites.

Reply #643295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if Prather gives Matty Knight the Ogilvy treatment and knocks him out cold with ball sack to the head, I still wont boo him.

Reply #643302 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #643305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If prather plays in Australia then it is a bit unfortaunte for him as he would have wanted a gig in Europe at least

Reply #643360 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm only speculating, but I get the vibe that top European teams don't just throw huge bucks at guys like Prather right off the bat. They probably would expect him to prove himself first, so the potential salary difference compared to what he's getting offered here might not be that big. Once you factor in the lifestyle factors as well, Europe might not be such an obvious choice.

(Having said that - and I mean no disrespect to Torrey Craig by this - but given he got an NBA opportunity I think Prather would rightly have expected one as well, and yeah that is clearly his preferred destination. As it should be)

Reply #643365 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754