Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League Preliminary Finals

I know there was a pre game topic but this deserves to be bumped.

Wow what amazing games & a showcase of what our local product has to offer.

The two big questions from tonight I'd say are

- did Southern women just play their GF this week?

- will BSA suspend Ridgeway for his incident with Hawkes? I'd say from what I saw & reports I've heard it'd be highly likely he'll get weeks.

Topic #41652 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what did you see, live stream didn't show much.

Reply #643397 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

purely from what I saw he was extremely provoked.

There is no defence for a Coach stepping on court and touching a player.

Hawkes should get the book thrown at him.

Reply #643400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I heard he still swung & connected with the coach?

If true, both should be in trouble.

Reply #643402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might have to take some popcorn down to the racecourse today. Could be some fun.

Reply #643403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I understand, Ridgeway instigated the incident by getting in Hawkes personal space running back down the sideline after a West score that sealed the game. I didn't see any chat between them before Ridgeway made a beeline to taunt Hawkes right in front of the Rockets bench -clapping right in his face.

I have no doubt Hawkes regrets reacting to Ridgeway by pushing him away but there weren't too many other options for him. He took a pretty solid shot to the jaw before going after Ridgeway with any intent.

I'd suggest Ridgeway was very fortunate to get out of Hillcrest with just a buckled left leg.

Reply #643406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #643422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridgeway will play next week. BSA to cave in to West's lawyers

Reply #643437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North need to lawyer up too! Ridiculous if he's allowed to play.

Reply #643443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can north lawyer up, they can't be prosecution. All they can do is defend Hawkes actions and be witness to incident.
All west have to do is delay tribunal somehow for a week. Or if suspension is handed down appeal it but not sure of legality of it all. Too many people have been watching Law and Order.
End of day was stupid action by Ridgeway, may have cost his team a chance at title. Apparently was given a bit of crap throughout game following a dunk after whistle, but if true if a punch was thrown deserves to be rubbed out. And I'm one who was hoping someone would dethrone the Tigers chequebook squad.

Reply #643447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Ridgeway is not suspended and gets to play the Grand Final, then BSA have made the league a joke.

Reply #643450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if Ridgeway DOES get suspended the league is a joke

when you know the game is out of reach just go on court and provoke a player to react.

easy way to take out a player for the following week

would set a dangerous precedent and allow losing teams to still control a Finals series

Reply #643455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a west supporter but he should have walked away instead of allegedly throwing a punch. If he gets rubbed out then it's his own fault

Reply #643456 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Ridgeway ran the sideline, with 10 seconds left knowing his team is going to the final...
North Coach initiates contact, steps accross white line, onto court... and then gets swung at.

Who is at fault... player or coach?

Reply #643457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both

Reply #643458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridgeway initiated the issue by invading North coach's space including taunting. Coach pushed Ridgeway out of his face. Ridgeway swung a punch leading to broken glasses and the escalation of the issue.

Ridgeway was provocative earlier in game driving knees into a player attempting a dunk significantly after the whistle blew. Me thinks he is not the sharpest tool in the shed!!!

Both player and coach need a suspension. Anything else just sends the message that BSA is soft and doesn't deserve to run the Premier League competition

Reply #643463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe it's a reflection of the roster of umpires they put on the game. Finals are not the time for 'giving experience'. The best umpires should be always be put on and if I were BSA, I would want to make this go away as quietly as possible lest a certain writer runs with it.

Reply #643466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if the coach did run on the court to provoke it (not how it went down, at all) swinging & connecting on a punch to the face is going to be a hefty suspension.

Reply #643467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can a player be in a Coach's space on court? Impossible.

Coach escalated the issue the second he stepped on court

Provocative on a dunk? The game was over-flowing with 'provocative' behaviour if that's the case

Reply #643468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon above. You have no idea. You can be in someone's face taunting and coach can be not in court. Just coz the player is in his personal space doesn't mean he is on court or not. It was lucky there was not an all in brawl on other court potentially including others.

You don't have to be a big man to take the first swing or to jump into a player who has stopped playing when the whistle blew.

Reply #643469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But you can be a bigger man and ignore childish taunting. Hawkes chose not to and the rest is as they say history.

Reply #643472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've got an idea.

A coach regardless of any taunting just can't step onto court and push a player

Under ANY circumstances

I agree it was lucky more didn't happen on court 2 when your Coach threw a chair at Ridgeway after waiting for him there.

Reply #643473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both actions are way out of line & both need lengthy suspensions.

Reply #643474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i 100% agree with this post from earlier.

Ridgeway initiated the issue by invading North coach's space including taunting. Coach pushed Ridgeway out of his face. Ridgeway swung a punch leading to broken glasses and the escalation of the issue.

Ridgeway was provocative earlier in game driving knees into a player attempting a dunk significantly after the whistle blew. Me thinks he is not the sharpest tool in the shed!!!

Both player and coach need a suspension. Anything else just sends the message that BSA is soft and doesn't deserve to run the Premier League competition

Reply #643478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is why BSA needs to have the best refs doing finals. Refs had lost control of the game.

Reply #643481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you 100% agree with the initial poster because it was probably YOU who posted it in the first place...sheesh

Reply #643482 | Report this post

Bennie BBQ  
Years ago

Just goes to show you money can't buy happiness.

Reply #643483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hit him or missed. Swung a fist or not.

The tribunal rules have significant events with lengthy suspensions including the catch all of bringing the game into disrepute.

It was a horrible look especially when you take into account there were many children in attendance and a politician who has done a lot for basketball in the state. BSA need to give penalties (because the offence did take place) if for no other reason but to send a clear and strong message to the kids and also to people supporting the sport in the state that this behaviour is unacceptable and not what BSA condones.

Reply #643486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kind of ironic now when you look back on it that the Men's Referee of the Year was sitting in the crowd watching the game and not on the court working it. Really shines a spotlight on the appointments.

Reply #643489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Realistically if a punch was thrown a lot more damage would have been done then just broken glasses... It looked a lot like a slap rather then a punch.
On another note as OP said wonderful showcase for the league, high level of talent out there and plenty of dunks to add to the excitement. I did see that Southern brought in some scaffolding to cater for extra fans pity this was not also done at Hillcrest.

Reply #643492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The charge in the tribunal rules is striking or attempting to strike and references fist, hand, etc.

Reply #643495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does it matter who was more at fault between the two? Both behaved terribly
Player taunted the coach - poor behaviour, not worth a suspension
Coach shoved player - Extremley poor behaviour worthy of suspension
Player "Struck" (to keep in line with tribunal language) Coach - Extremley poor behaviour worthy of suspension
Coach attempted to kick player - Extremley poor behaviour worthy of suspension
Both player and coach brought the game into disrepute - worthy of a suspension. Throw the book at them both and suspend them for a long time, it doesn't matter who was more guilty or the instigator. Both should receive a number of weeks!!!

Reply #643503 | Report this post

Switzerland  
Years ago

Neutral observer, was an entertaining but horrendously officiated game.

I had a good vantage point to see the altercation. The North coach wasn't yelling or had been yelling at any west player during the game.
I have no idea why Ridgeway chose the North coach to insult and always poor form to rub it in the oppositions face when the game had just been decided.
Ridgeway came from 20 metres away and made a bee line to the North bench and directly into the North Coach's face and started yelling 'something you M...f...!' and was clapping in the coach's face and was in his personal space. The Coach was still behind the sideline and reacted by shoving Ridgeway. This wasn't what I would call a violent shove but it got Ridegway out of the coach's space.

If that was all that happened this wouldn't be an issue whatsoever but what happened next was the biggest brain fart I've seen in basketball since Damien Keogh head butted Steve Breheney.

Ridgeway inexplicably then gave the unprepared North Coach who had his arms by his side a solid right cross hitting the coach on the jaw, his glasses went flying and from what I was told drew blood.
Ridgeway then shaped up like a boxer while screaming at the Coach. Ridgeway was dancing in his boxing stance but by now was a few feet on the court.
With being coward punched and then Ridgeway shaping up the Coach stepped onto the court to defend himself.
Ridgeway was caught of guard as the coach gave him a solid UFC kick. This stopped Ridgeway cold in his tracks. The North Coach could easily have kept going as the kick took the wind out of Ridgeways sails but to his credit didn't continue.
There was more drama on court two but didn't see what happened.
Both definitely should be suspended but believe the tribunal should consider the Coach was defending himself against a coward punch.
If anyone saw it differently I would be very interested to hear! Surely it must be on video.

Reply #643513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Hawkes doesnt react to the childish behaviour by pushing Ridgeway nothing escalates does it? Hawkes is 43 years old and the leader of the club. Surely a person of his statue, experience as a player, as a coach and in life he can control his emotions.

Clearly he couldn't and now we have this mess overshadowing the biggest game of the season.

Reply #643514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG... *eats popcorn*

MOAR!

Reply #643515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG... *eats popcorn*

MOAR!

Reply #643516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who eyewitnessed the Court 2 after party? Please post!

Reply #643517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottom line, it can't be determined who instigated the brawl by crossing the line first but both well & truly crossed the line.

Both need to be suspended. Not suspended sentences, but hefty suspensions. And the penalty should be in place before eithers next game!

I wonder if they give Hawkes weeks, will they allow him to serve them during summer season?

Reply #643531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have any reports been laid yet?

Wouldn't it be convenenient for BSA to have the referee to take their full four days to lodge the report which will mean a hastily convened tribunal before the GF or even better for BSA that they put it off till next week

I would not be surprised with anything which may happen now

Reply #643548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lawyer city if bsa take 4 days to lodge a charge.

Reply #643562 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Switzerland-
Perhaps you could be a tribunal witness:

- "Had a good vantage point"
- North coach wasn't yelling-- are you saying you may have missed some snide remarks as players ran down court?
"was told drew blood" -Must have been a good vantage point?
"coward punch" - be careful with statements like that if you never saw the whole incident from your 'good vantage point'
"more drama on Court 2 but didn't see it"- sounds like info from a 'third party'??

Good to hear from a "Neutral observer" anyway

Reply #643578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again, how can it be lawyer city. West can only try for a stay in the proceedings, bsa's lawyers could fight that application. North or anyone else can't force a ruling body to have a hearing.
Surely by now there should be word if the matter has been referred to the tribunal, before anyone gets excited, has this been confirmed?

Reply #643585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottom line, it can't be determined who instigated the brawl by crossing the line first but both well & truly crossed the line.

Both need to be suspended. Not suspended sentences, but hefty suspensions. And the penalty should be in place before eithers next game!

I wonder if they give Hawkes weeks, will they allow him to serve them during summer season?

Reply #643588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a time frame on the report being filed? Will BSA botch it with admin?

Reply #643597 | Report this post

Switzerland  
Years ago

I said I didn't hear him yelling at any West players so obviously wouldn't hear a remark.
What snide remark set Ridgeway off?
I didn't see the blood on the coach but was told. I left immediately after so didn't see what happened on court 2.
A coward punch is when someone is hit unexpectedly and unprepared.
It would all be on video so need to make anything up.

Reply #643602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What Harold has to determine is what is best for him if he wants to continue playing basketball somewhere. Whatever happens he is most likely going to have a suspension he needs to serve before he plays in any competition elsewhere. Given there are so many players out there why would a club look at him knowing he can't play straight away which may also indicate he is rather volatile and not disciplined. Perhaps he needs to avoid all this talk of delaying tactics, take a small penalty on the chin and improve his chances of playing elsewhere. I am sure BSA will impose a heavier penalty if lawyers delay the tribunal. In those circumstances BSA will need to appear not as a toothless tiger and go with a heavier penalty.

Reply #643604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last year the Cairns Taipans import got a 12 months suspension (later reduced) but it was only for within Australia. He was free to go play anywhere else in the world so not sure the above post is entirely accurate.

Reply #643606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tribunal will be this week

Reply #643613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have heard Wednesday or Thursday. I think the only question is will BSA allow an appeal that can't be heard until next week.

Pissweak if they do.

Reply #643625 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

so many conflicting stories from 'eyewitnesses' on here

I'll never trust my eyes again

Reply #643640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All have one theme though - both did the wrong thing! Fault only shades the degrees of the wrongdoing. Fact is both deserve weeks.

Reply #643644 | Report this post

annoymous  
Years ago

How would Ridgeway get weeks makes no sense its one game left??

Reply #643646 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Switzerland
Yesterday
15:02 14 Aug 17

"biggest brain fart I've seen in basketball since Damien Keogh head butted Steve Breheney. "

Interesting,..... I saw Steve headbutt Three-O Keogh, back in that semi-final series, but I never knew that DK ever got him back, ..... which season was that ?

Here's the thing, irrespective of what was going on (with a slight nod to actually illegal homophobic or racial verbal slurs, or a verbal "I'm going to kill you" from a person actually holding a weapon), there's not much verbally that can excuse the first contact being instigated by the tauntee.
Its the escalation to physicality that usually defines the crossing of the threshold from stupidity to common assault, and opens up the opportunity for the responder to claim "self - defense".

I think the coach is in deeper trouble than the player. But both are in the proverbial wayyyy over their heads

I was not there.

Reply #643665 | Report this post

Switzerland  
Years ago

Very Old (but still has more marbles than I it seems), you are correct as Breheny (Coach) head butted Keogh(player).

The difference between the two incidents (as I see) - Keogh came over to Breheny 'toe to toe' and Breheny head butted Keogh.
Whereas Ridgeway came over to the Coach 'toe to toe' and the Coach pushed him away.

Very Old in your book of life you give a 'slight nod' to what would be OK for you to instigate contact with a tauntee.
If the contact instigated is a push is it considered 'slight' or in your book is it considered the 'Breheny nod'?

Getting in front of an opposition player's face and saying nasty things happens all the time.
You were around when this was a very much part of the game. Players push each other, no harm & no foul and the game continues.

There is an invisible line in sport when the 'in game' abuse and pushing escalates.
The trigger point is always when someone is struck in the face.
There is really no going back from this point, you defend or get hit, or people come in quickly to break it apart.
But once you strike someone to the face its a fight.

I think the player is in deeper trouble than the coach. But both are in the proverbial wayyyy over their heads

Reply #643679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Facepalm, getting weeks with one game left. Unless he retires he will play again, not sure how/if suspension will follow him, but if he comes back here he will have to serve remainder. But this brain fade may cost west chance at title so doubtful if he'll return.

Reply #643694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

actually illegal homophobic or racial verbal slurs

What the? I don't think the PC police have that much power... yet.

Reply #643700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually just read the bylaws regarding the tribunal. As a layperson a person can appeal the decision of the tribunal within three working days of being informed of the penalty. So if the tribunal hands down a suspension on Thursday night, has Ridgeway simply got the right to appeal the decision Friday night and then be eligible to play GF and then have the appeal heard the following week. Seems a fairly big loophole in this whole affair. Play the Grand Final then take whatever penalty he gets the following week and if he doesn't return then gets no penalty. Can head back to US and say he's playing for a local association and serve it there if there's some rule about it following him internationally.
Or is it the case that he has to serve the penalty until it's heard at the appeal tribunal the following week.
Either way, if bsa had heard the charge on Tuesday then the bylaw is moot, anyone heard when it officially is being heard?
And other interesting thing to read in bylaws are the penalties, has a specific penalty for kicking and based on what has been reported, hawkes is in trouble. But does the penalty have to be served next premier league season or can he say he's coaching under 12 div five and serve it there?

Reply #643703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the appeal would only be granted on the basis of new evidence being introduced, or misconduct in the tribunal hearing. If neither of those things are established, then the appeal will not be granted.

As for Hawkes - interesting question!

Reply #643707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From reading everything here and trying to take out the extremes of the recounts of what happened I think Ridgeway has more to answer. I hardly see the need to throw a punch being necessary "self defence" to being pushed away. If anything Hawkes has the argument of self - defence after the punch from Ridgeway.

If Ridgeway plays games with an appeal BSA need to call that before the game as it will just be seen as a farce.

I also believe the punch landed given the broken glasses, the bleeding mouth and the need for x-rays

Reply #643712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or were the x-rays to check to see if he had broken his foot? Don't frame an argument to suit the side of the fence you sit.

Both are in big trouble. If Hawkes does not initially push Ridgeway we have no issue do we. No punch, no kick, no chasing around the court.

If the senior Coach of the club doesn't react to adolescent behaviour and can't control himself then who is to blame for that? He is an experienced man in the basketball world, he is the face of the Men's senior program. He didn't like losing, didn't like being told about it and reacted by making contact with an opposing player which lead to the dumbest reaction by a player ever and then the ensuing melee there after.

Reply #643715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going by what you read on here - that's a good life choice!

Reply #643725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what do people think the chances are of

A) Ridgeway playing this week
B) Hawkes coaching round 1 2018

Reply #643764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridgeway maybe with a technicality but will get book thrown at him eventually. Hawkes a dead man walking, one of worst examples of brain snaps. 10 weeks plus.

Reply #643787 | Report this post

Bennie BBQ  
Years ago

Thursday morning and still no resulting to this ugly incident. Poor form by BSA taking this long to come to an outcome.

Reply #643822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tribunal is tonight is it not?

Reply #643834 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Ridgeway got the book thrown at him !!!!

Reply #643887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawkes?

Reply #643890 | Report this post

Flash Maguire  
Years ago

Will they use the same Officials from this game on the grand final?

Would be clever not to

Reply #643893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tribunal held tonight I'm told. Wonder how people can find out the outcomes?

Reply #643894 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

Interesting to know the outcome of the tribunal there Steve when it hasn't been held yet.

6.30pm tonight (thursday)

Reply #643895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL oh my Steven.

Reply #643896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

refs:

Aylen & Gillings on women

Durant, Wieland, Devlin on men's

Reply #643898 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

We will see at 6:30 then he needs the book thrown at him what really was he thinking cost his team no way will he be playing

Reply #643899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steven it's not up to you.

Reply #643901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the import plays the grand final, there is stomething wrong with BSA, he punch a coach. See people writing the coach was on the court.. he was on the court of a reaction of being punched in the face..

Reply #643931 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

4 week suspension guess it's safe to safe southern tigers are this years champs

Reply #643933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit of an early call there. Ridgeway is only a bench player afterall!

Reply #643937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm, could west pull out an appeal application with "new" evidence, put it off to next week and get him to play. Bit of dirty pool but worth a try.
But let's not forget that Ridgeway is really just a role player, was terrible at beginning of season and was often in foul trouble. Not an insurmountable loss, losing Oldham would make it near impossible but this may galvanise the bearcats and put them in an us vs them mentality. Wouldn't rule them out. Maybe Corey can step on the court and push Drmic and sacrifice himself, basketball is often a copycat sport.
Do feel a bit sorry for Harold, young kid that let his emotions get the better of him, probably will be the end of his international career and will probably be the scapegoat if they lose, not sure if teammates could have dragged him away, but is a really nice guy after meeting him a few times.
What did Hawkes get BTW?

Reply #643938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One I have no clue, why he is coming off the bench other the Oldham he is the second most productive guy on that team stat wise plus the energy he brings that's a tough loss for west.

Reply #643940 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I agree count westies out!

Reply #643941 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Think hawkes got ten weeks

Reply #643942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A - wrong

Reply #643945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawkes 8. Ridgeway 4. Plus both another 6 weeks suspended sentence on top.

Reply #643947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now will West accept the "umpires" decision and move on

Reply #643948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawkes guilty on ALL 3 charges.
Ridgeway not guilty on one charge and upgraded on other.

Reply #643969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What were the charges in the first place? Was there footage of it?

Reply #643970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If North ever let Hawkes coach again they are an absolute disgrace of a club. If Hawkes thinks he's fit to coach PL basketball he needs to get help.

Reply #643971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think also Mike Gibson should lose is job for the decision to 'rest' umpires for the Prelim. Should be held accountable.

Reply #643972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PL is only a small part of Gibson's job description. Maybe just remove him as PL commissioner.

Reply #643975 | Report this post

Outside  
Years ago

PL is not actually part of MG job description at all.

Reply #643977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then that is easy, take it off him.

Reply #643978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson was the one who stood by the decision to rest umpires in meeting with Basketball Adelaide. He needs to be held accountable.

Reply #643979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't the idea that you can't have the same umpires for the prelims as the grand final? So these 'rested' umpires people are mentioning will likely be reffing the grands. Also they wouldn't just put randoms on the prelim.

Reply #643981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How scary is it that the 6th - 8th best ranked referees in the state could be partly to blame for losing control of a PL game.

Given over 35 referees did PL games this year it's lucky we haven't had even bigger issues during the season.

Depth of referee standards clearly is a concern but is there any real action to address this?

Reply #643982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^So what I'm saying is that if MG was going to lose his job surely it would have happened before this, and I doubt that this will be the reason he does.

Reply #643983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think by Prelim coaches / players want consistency rather than rested refs. Elite competitions as BSA proclaim PL is would reward the best refs with the biggest games.

Reply #643984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem stems from lack of development. Every panel meeting (development session) this season was cancelled. Probably a good place as any to start

Reply #643987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes there is an issue to address. My understanding is the clubs and Basketball Adelaide expressed their concerns to BSA about not having more experienced refs handling these games for fear of losing control. BSA said not an issue. How wrong was that! Someone must be held accountable though I am sure BSA and ref and observers will band together to say the officiating was top notch!

Reply #643991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolute farce. A coach steps on to the court, shoves a player who defends himself and the player gets rubbed out. That is a disgraceful decision.

Reply #643996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Annon #996 You sir are a moron

Reply #643999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that ridgeway did deserve a reprimand or even a suspension. I do not have a problem with the 4 weeks (source?) said above. However I think that the suspension should come into effect after the GF. Not a popular opinion, but only for the sole reason that we shouldn't let the losing side of a preliminary final dictate the result of the grand final.

Reply #644001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simple fact is, if the coach hadn't violated the sideline, NONE of this would have happened. If a player shoved a referee, would the referee also get suspended? I think not. Everybody is entitled to self defence and there is NO arguement that the coach initiated the contact by entering the confines of the court. Game over right there.

Reply #644004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the referee punched after the push yes he would get suspended. To the post above saying you cannot let the losing side of a preliminary final dictate the result of the grand final. They didnt, Ridgeway did when he retaliated with a punch or bitch slap.

Could you imagine the AFL saying here is a 4 weeks suspension for striking but it doesn't start till after the Grand Final!! You're smoking some serious weed to come up with that outcome mate.

Reply #644005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couple of umpires should be pulled up on their Wollacott performances! Terrible behaviour!

Reply #644006 | Report this post

60+  
Years ago

anon above
one umpire already has been taken off the grand final as a result

Reply #644047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which one? Moved to the other GF or removed?

Reply #644052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Removed

Reply #644055 | Report this post

60+  
Years ago

It was james.
Unsure which James
Over reaction I believe.

Reply #644084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not when he's trying to have verbal fights with coaches and players!

Reply #644110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #110 are you clueless? No one was fighting with anyone. Be careful what you accuse someone of!

Reply #644113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#113. I think you may not see or hear everything.

Reply #644116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No I think you need to be careful of what you accuse people of without any evidence. Isaac is more than happy to provide IP addresses when people cross legal lines. Be very careful what you say

Reply #644119 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754