Anonymous
Years ago

Homicide to return as commentator

"Congrats to worldwide streetball legend @CHomicide for becoming a broadcaster with FOX Sports Australia for the @NBL this upcoming season." - Jared Zwerling

Why? He was woeful when he filled in last time and I doubt he's going to change his style. This is a terrible decision.

Topic #41658 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I love it baby!

He's a smart guy and will have a couple months to learn the ways.

He'll surprise a few this year

Reply #643524 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Joyce too, apparently. I might actually miss some games this season.

Reply #643525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I love it baby!

He's a smart guy and will have a couple months to learn the ways.

He'll surprise a few this year"

I meant Corey "Homicide" Williams. Who did you think I meant?

Reply #643527 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I'd love to see them bring back names like Peter Ensel, Stephen Quartermain, Dean Templeten, Bill Woods etc

Reply #643528 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Probably the only positive in Randle not coming back, no more ANT MAN being screamed into the mic.

Reply #643530 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If this is true, it means a lot of muting the broadcast for me. Really don't enjoy his commentary.

Reply #643534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He already commentated for half a season and then suddenly disappeared. Now all of a sudden he is returning? WTF.

and Joyce - really NBL? He is woeful.

Sorry, but the LK era has not addressed commentary sufficiently enough. In fact we are going backwards.

Reply #643537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tv production is really poor in some areas. If they are oblivious to the feedback they get on Homicide then I look forward to another season of baseline cam during live play.

Reply #643542 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Homicide is woeful. UGH.

Joyce and Barfino also suck.

Fingers crossed for some more Gelmi sideline reporting though.

Reply #643547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I liked Derek Ruckers brief stint. Could really explain the happenings on court quite well. Homocide not my favourite at all.

Reply #643552 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I can deal with Carfino because I am so used to him but Joyce and Homicide? No thanks. Not calling the game anyway. I think Homicide could be useful maybe talking to fans and sideline celebrities and acting a clown but please, not play-by-play. And Joyce just needs to bugger off.

Reply #643553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does the cancer Joyce keep re-infesting himself onto top elite basketball in this country? I honestly don't get it - Hawks, Blaze, Opals, Fox.

Reply #643554 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

What about James Harvey? I thought he did a decent job, I know people don't like Brad Rosen but he is knowledgable at least.

Reply #643556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring in Hawkes and Ridgeway, I'd tune in to that!!!

Reply #643558 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Ugh, Homicide? God no, please! Joyce was the opposite of him but still unbearable to listen to... I wish there where radio commentaries that we could switch to...

Agree on Harvs, he was quite good on the games that he got... Carfino was semi-bearable when he was paired with the right partner...

Reply #643559 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

I'll be calling fox for a discount on my monthly bill because I'll be watching half the games.

Reply #643560 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

All the insight of grandpa Simpson after a night on the cough syrup. You could put a giraffe in one of Fox's trademark ill-fitting blue suits and it would have more to offer than Homicide's inane ramblings.

Reply #643561 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

he wears an onion on his belt.

As was the fashion at the time.

Reply #643563 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

In small quantity Homicide could be mildly entertaining I suppose...

Reply #643566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homiccide - OMFG really

Heal - like but will he be there?

Harvey - great but agrees with heal to much

Rosen - love. Can babble but knows the game better than most

Tragargh - love. One liners are gold

Greer - to much united

Carfino - there or not here don't really care

Robbins - flat out awful

Anyone else I miss?

Reply #643572 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

You missed Joyce ;p.

Reply #643574 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Perhaps Homicide could take the 'roving mic' into the changerooms after the game like Brian Taylor does with AFL

Reply #643576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forgot about Heal. At least tell me he has been dropped? Pretty please?

Reply #643579 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Homicide dialed in at about 8 is fine. I think he dialed it up to about a 12 into bizzaro/annoying in the later games he called, but I don't mind him as an over-enthusiastic colour commentator. He's definitely 'unique'.

Reply #643583 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Will Hammer be back?

Reply #643595 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rucker, Heal, Harvey are all good. Carfino is fine.

Tragardh is too ocker for me. Rosen has improved. Don't like Joyce, Robbins or Homicide.

Reply #643605 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

I'm shocked at how many people think Carfino is fine. He gets so many facts incorrect and bumbles through each game.

Rucker is by far the best. I also liked Ricky Grace in his brief stints last year (or the year before?).

Reply #643610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tragardh, Heal & Robbins are also horrible and can be added to the Homocide & Joyce list. Just woeful.

Reply #643616 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Homicide would be good if he became more professional. The half time interviews would be more interesting.

You can't go bagging out the players like he did previously.

Happy to see how he goes...

Reply #643631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm going to call him Ant Man"
"Please dont call me Ant Man"
"Ok Ant Man"

Reply #643633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All time low.

Reply #643636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm going to call him Ant Man"
"Please dont call me Ant Man"
"Ok Ant Man"

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Do we have video of this?

Reply #643639 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That Adelaide-Sydney game a couple of years ago, where the Sixers set the record for the biggest three-quarter-time comeback in 40-minute history, was a brilliant game. I have it on disc, but Homicide was commentating so I've never been able to stomach actually rewatching it.

It seemed like things were improving on the commentary front last season, with Matt Russell and John Casey as the two primary play-by-play guys, rather than Dwayne Russell filling that role as he did the year before.

But Williams and Joyce are easily the worst two commentators since the 80s, back when it was local TV and they were blatant cheerleaders for the home team.

Reply #643649 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Carfino might be a bit half-baked at times, but I think he's inoffensive, familiar, etc. I'd prefer that over Homicide's unbearable rhetoric and fluff and glory-days Joyce.

I know not everyone likes him, but I do like Casey Frank - he's an example where the attitude/flavour works IMO. It's about the sport. With Homicide, it just feels like it's about him. You want these past players to bring their expertise rather than their ego, and I think Rucker, Heal, Harvey, etc all do that well.

Reply #643655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac why the love for Heal? He falls in the same heap as Joyce for mine. It's as if they never coach or played the game listening to their commentary.

Reply #643656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think I can handle hearing Heal say "trifecta" again....

Reply #643657 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

I forgot about Casey Frank. Easily the best colour commentator in the league

Reply #643660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce Palmer was gold. Most sarcastic commentator ever.

Reply #643664 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Homicide and Joyce will be muted the first time they come on, and I will probably keep watching on mute until I hear they've been sacked.

Give me intelligent level commentators instead of ones who are just there to stroke their own egos.

Reply #643677 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bruce Palmer was gold. Most sarcastic commentator ever.
You mean Bill Palmer? I'm not aware of Bruce ever having done commentary.

Reply #643678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce was definitely a commentator, maybe when the NBL was on the ABC?

Reply #643681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct. Bruce did sporadic TV work but had a few seasons on Bullets radio.

Reply #643697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean Bill Palmer? I'm not aware of Bruce ever having done commentary.

When did you start following the NBL, kiddo?

Reply #643698 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Agree on Casey Frank, he's always enjoyable on the NZ games... He's obviously pro_NZB, but he doesn't have home team blinders on, most of the time...

I like Heal more often than not, but he needs the right partner and to not get into the same old thing... Rucker was great, but it seems like it's an AJ/Lemanis Boomers situation there...

Reply #643713 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I can't remember the name of the other NZ commentator, but I think he's pretty good too - has improved a lot over the years I've been tuning in to Breakers games.

Reply #643718 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Andrew Mulligan?

Reply #643719 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Might be - is he the little (well, next to Frank...) quirky dude on the SKY broadcasts? I didn't catch a lot of NZ games last season, so unless the guy I'm thinking of was replaced last year than that would probably be him.

Reply #643723 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Actually it might be Dennis Katsanos that you're talking about?

Reply #643732 | Report this post

Hespect  
Years ago

Having Heal and Joyce together would be good. They can both talk about how good they are and pitch for head coaching roles they should have.

Reply #643734 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why Heal? Seems genuine about contributing expertise or opinion without being grandiose about it.

The NZ offsiders with Casey are OK too. Maher also.

Bruce Palmer had the famous line likening someone's move to an octopus, right?

Reply #643737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tommy Greer would be good imo

Reply #643738 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yep, Dennis Katsanos is who I was thinking of. He's improved tons since I first heard him and Casey, and I think the two of them work well together on the Breakers games.

Reply #643759 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Dennis Katsanos doesn't do commentary, just hosts the pre-game and half-time segments. I think he only did a couple of games last season.

Reply #643763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do half of you guys even know what a good commentator is?

Most of you are bias cause you don't like someone cause they didn't play for ur team.

This is the most bias forum I've ever seen.

Reply #643784 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Most of these guys would certainly know what a good commentator is anon. A lot of hoops tragics here that would have watched enough games to qualify as a PhD if there's such a degree.

There maybe slight bias against Heal due to his notoriety. I don't mind his commentaries when doing some play analysis, he knows his stuff.

Reply #643790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been much better today, actually starting to grow on me.

Reply #650272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's probably been told to at least research basics about the league and its players.

Reply #650281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warts grow too. Just sayin

Reply #650339 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He can't even research his own career. Loudly proclaimed to have never had a scoreless first half in the NBL despite there being a game where he failed to score until after three quarter time.

Reply #650362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Homicide will get better as the season goes on and he familiarises himself with the players and teams.

Reply #650363 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I thought Lachy, Shawn and Corey were a good combination last night but doubt it's sustainable.

There was a balance between Redhage's pro-perth bias and Williams's anti-perth sentiment which I didn't mind.

Both former players are also at opposite ends of the charisma spectrum but are also stubborn. It was obvious Lachy enjoyed pressing each of them when they had digs at each other.

Reply #650385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The commentary was excellent last night by all three, really enjoyed the banter and onsite.

Reply #650408 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

So did I actually. Individually they might not be perfect but it worked for me as a combo.

Reply #650413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was actually at the game last night but am thinking about watching the replay just to enjoy this commentary. The Redhage/Homicide dynamic sounds interesting.

Reply #650506 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It really was, and worked well because Lachie Reid did a really good job in the middle.

Reply #650508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage's boringness let's you appreciate Homicide having a personality.

Reply #650510 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It was better last night because the cartoonish nature of Homicide was balanced out by the vanilla straight down the line commentary of Redhage.

Homicide's half-time interview of fellow New Yorker Conger was hilarious.

Reply #650519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was it a Chris Tucker/Jackie Chan Rush Hour style dynamic?

Reply #650553 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Corey Williams is intense, funny and entertaining, what's wrong with that?

Reply #650599 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The fact that he doesn't know anything and insists on making everything about himself.

Reply #650601 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

You make him sound like Drumph.....

Reply #650607 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Listen...Conger is from New York...I'm from New York...this is how we do it in New York.

Reply #650608 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

There you go....inside knowledge! Who says he knows nothing!

Reply #650611 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I explicitly compared Williams to Trump in a different thread last week.

Reply #650615 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, I missed it, must have been busy doing something really impotent.....

pun intended.

Reply #650617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refereeing woeful both ways

Reply #650621 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754