Pennywise
Years ago

Ranking the NBL Rosters

Hey guys, so lets all give ranking the new rosters a go, I'll start with Adelaide, someone continue with Cairns etc.

Added: Ronald Roberts, Shannon Shorter, Ramone Moore.
Lost: Jerome Randle, Eric Jacobsen, Terrance Ferguson.

Starters:

Shorter
Sobey
Creek
Johnson
Hodgson

Verdict: Sixers have improved on last years roster with the addition of 3 quality imports, the likes of which the Sixers have not seen in a long time. Last year the Sixers imports, besides Randles, were rather lackluster with Ferguson an experiment and Jacobsen nothing more than a role player which cost them in their playoffs run. Shorter may not be an upgrade on Randle offensively, but he is certain to be an upgrade defensively and with the addition of Moore and rise of Sobey and Creek with the likely continued improvement of Majok and Drmic, the Sixers are unlikely to need anything more than 12 points a game from Shorter to maintain last years offensive domination.

Teams can no longer apply pressure to taking one player out of the game (Randle) to stem the flow of the 36ers offense as the offense will now be shouldered evenly.

Defense should improve, expect a lot of fast break buckets, a lot of free throws and huge dunks from Roberts. If this roster clicks a championship should be at the feet of Adelaide, if it doesn't this roster is still capable of making the playoffs with it's only glaring weakness being the lack of a true point guard to run the floor, but it's upsides being it multiple position players and its overflow of talent.

Leading scorer: (pick your poison.) Sobey.
Leading rebounder: DJ
Most Insane dunks: Roberts
Club MVP: Sobey
Sixth man: Roberts

Ladder finish: 2nd

Topic #41662 | Report this topic

B.O  
Years ago

Adelaide may have made the biggest roster improvement of the season with Roberts in for Jacobsen.

Shorter and Moore will be much more serviceable as a tandem than Randle and TFerg.

Top 2 is a respectable position given the teams perfromance last season.

Chemistry and mental toughness are their keys to success this season.

Reply #643626 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You just can't be confident about incoming unknown imports until they've started playing. Even established, name players have been underdone, poor team players or struggled with refereeing.

Not discrediting a guess at ladder finish, but the new three could be anything in between Christopherson and Randle. Look at United's recruiting last year - it included Devin Williams, Ramone Moore and another guy whose name I can't even remember - did he even get on the court?

Reply #643627 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson?

Reply #643629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ hahaha how badly did that guy fall from grace, ppl can't even recall his name :P

Reply #643630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moore was very good for united given dean demopoulos' lack of imagination outside of iso plays for ware and goulding and spreading the rest around the perimeter and boone/majok inside for boards

Reply #643632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting that you are backing a guy coming off a serious knee injury to make a massive impact

Reply #643634 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

Perth Wildcats

Added: Lucas Walker, Devondrick Walker, Derrick Cooke Jr
Lost: Shaun Redhage, Casey Prather, Jamel McKay

Starters:

D. Martin
B. Cotton
D. Walker
D. CookeJr
M. Knight

Bench
J. Kenny
D. Kernich-Drew
G. Hire
J. Wagstaff/L.Walker
A. Brandt

Verdict: Wildcats have retained one of their most valuable pieces in Bryce Cotton. Without Bryce the Cats don't win back to back. But that's because Casey Prather kept their heads above water all season. All the fruit is now in the Cotton basket, and only time will tell if Devondrick Walker can fill Prather's shoes.

The Wildcats have recruited well in D.Walker and Cooke Jnr, the downside is D.Walker is a completely different player to Prather and Cooke Jnr doesn't look to be the rim protector McKay was.

The loss of Redhage may also become a factor as the Wildcats do not have a veteran go to guy to rely on when nothing else is working. You won't get Redhage's play making ability from Hire or Wagstaff, you might get his flopping tho.

At least NBL fans get a full season of Cotton, who is one of the top 3 guards in the league.

Finally the Wildcats core is still in tack, and while aging they know how to win. Chemistry is second to none and will be hungry for an illusive three-peat.

Leading scorer: Cotton/Devondrick
Leading rebounder: Cooke Jr
Most Insane dunks: Cooke Jr
Club MVP: Cotton
Sixth man: Wagstaff

Ladder finish: Top 4

Reply #643635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OP said continue with Cairns, not Perth.

Reply #643641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone else can post Cairns.
Personally I think Knight should come off bench and Brandt start.

Reply #643642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Added: Schoochie Smith, Kuany Kuany, Michael Carrera
Lost: Travis Trice, Fuquan Edwin/Tony Mitchell, Mark Worthington

Starters:

Smith
Gliddon
McCarron or Weigh
Carrera
Jawai

Bench:
Weeks, Heuir, Kuany, McCarron or Weigh, Loughton, Egwu

Verdict: Cairns appear to be worse ON paper my opinion. I would say Smith will be at similar level to Trice (might not show on the numbers with the way Cairns play) and Carrera will be better than Edwin/Tony Mitchell I believe. However people are underestimating the loss of Wortho in my opinion and Cairns will miss him. The problem is replacing Wortho with Kuany who is an unproven rookie at this level and was ok in college whereas Wortho was excellent on one shoulder last season. Carrera should provide some of the things Wortho did. But can Weigh/McCarron/Heuir/Kuany step up and replace Edwins/Mitchells production last year? I liked the look of McCarron last season and he should continue to improve with more minutes and opportunity. Damon Heuir has been outstanding this QBL season but can he get a chance? And I don't know a lot about Kuany but he appears to be a "3 and D" type player?
Cairns will be sweating on Jawais health with his injury. This will test their depth inside and Egwu will be relied upon more this season as well as Loughton and Carrera. Carrera is not that big but is long and athletic so he will be relied upon.
Cairns will scrap and fight hard with their flow and shuffle offense and defensive identity. They always overachieve under Fearne but I think Jawais injury will put them behind the Eight Ball too much in a tight league.
Leading scorer: Smith
Leading rebounder: Carrera
Most Insane dunks: Carrera
Club MVP: Carrera
Sixth man: McCarron/Weigh

Ladder finish: 6th/7th

Reply #643645 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Shaun Redhage
Jamel McKay
All the fruit is now in the Cotton basket
the Wildcats core is still in tack
an illusive three-peat.
MAKE IT STOP!

Reply #643647 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"OP said continue with Cairns, not Perth."

I believe he said Cairns etc.

Reply #643648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookie.
Waiting for your Sydney post

Reply #643650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...Sydney essay...

Reply #643651 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson?
No, I was talking about Lasan Kromah... I could remember that his name started with L, but had to google "melbourne united replace moore" to find him.

I thought that a group ranking of NBL rosters would be a disaster, but so far you guys are doing pretty well. Presuming Melbourne is the consensus #1? Who's going to be 8th?

Reply #643652 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Brisbane for 8th.

Reply #643653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe he said Cairns etc.

As in C is after A... you know, alphabetically.

Reply #643658 | Report this post

Pennywise  
Years ago

I think all is going well, people know their stuff here, you genuinely find the good fans on these threads, with the exception of some clowns. Pardon the pun (if you get where my name comes from haha.)

Reply #643659 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"As in C is after A... you know, alphabetically."

Does your alphabet not have B then if you are pushing Cairns being the next team alphabetically?

Reply #643661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac - I think Breakers unless they get a top kiwi or half decent import with that last spot.

Reply #643662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ have been really quiet, first time in a decade. What is going on over there?

Reply #643663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only the Breakers could've kept Dillard

Reply #643672 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Last I heard, the Breakers going with only 2 imports and going to delay filling up that last roster spot hoping Tai Webster might change his mind. If he won't sign then they're hoping for a local SF to complete the roster.

For Wookiee's essay, I heard they've added Darcy Malone and Deng Acuoth as their DPs mate, you might wanna include that in the breakdown. Just avoid mentioning Jesse Sanders too much eh ;).

Reply #643673 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Word is NZ just signed Barnaby Joyce.

Reply #643675 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isaac - I think Breakers unless they get a top kiwi or half decent import with that last spot.
Could be. Vukona a year older too.

Interesting that they've rolled the dice with imports again rather than trying to bring someone back or poach from another team (Prather, Trice, Moore).
NZ have been really quiet, first time in a decade. What is going on over there?
They weren't devastating last year either.

Reply #643676 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Side note if Cotton is top 3 who are the other two? Dare I ask how you have them ranked??

Perth write up wasn't bad either.

Reply #643706 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

Cotton top 3, I'd say he's the best SG in the league right now based on past performance and form.

I said top 3 just keep it fair and ambiguous ;)

Reply #643716 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Good write-up on Cairns. But it was written before anyone saw Carrera play. He played last night and looks like he is going to be very very good. Almost makes Wortho look like "Mr Nice Guy" on court :)

Numbers weren't brilliant, but he's only been here 5 minutes (and Smith for 4) and we'll get another look at him on Friday night.

Reply #643721 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

Gordon G - more insight from the pre-season game would be appreciated. what else can you divulge.

Reply #643724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He played last night and looks like he is going to be very very good.

Why?

Reply #643726 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

B.O. Not much really, quite a few of the guys are also playing Marlins in the QBL and we have a semi-final against Townsville on Saturday, so they were all taking it pretty easy.

Scoochie is still learning the plays, Nnanna is still being Nnanna (6 assists - game high) and Carrera looked like he was enjoying playing.

Tevin Jackson is one to watch, but the standout fill-ins were Tamuri Wigness, playing as a back-up PG. Only played 12 minutes, scored 6 points, and he's 15. And Kody Stattmann, only played 9 minutes, 5 points and an assist - he's 17.

Reply #643728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carrera details?

Reply #643729 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Careera had 9p, 6r, 2a on 2-8 fg, 0-2 3pt in 19:33.

Reply #643730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"very very good."

Might as well say nothing.

Reply #643731 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

When I go to the Marlins games my friends and I have a sweep on when Tevin Jackson is going to have his first argument with a referee. He just needs to learn to shut his mouth and keep playing, regardless of how bad the call is. Following the ref around shaking your head and mouthing 'no' for 2+ minutes does you and your team no favours.

If his shot continues to improve and he can maybe be a bit less selfish with his shot selection he could go far..

Reply #643741 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Tevin doesn't have arguments, he has 'spirited discussions'

:)

Reply #643767 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Train, that's very very funny...............Ha!

I am not going to post the whole roster etc, but I think this could be Melbourne's year!!

Reply #643815 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ronald Roberts who at 6ft 7 has a 4ft vertical leap. Gonna be pretty good to watch.
Strange how Joey really wanted to get another high school guy in to replace Jacobsen.....

Reply #643829 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

....but he couldnt find no one. We caint help it if we're lucky..

Reply #643892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what is Jawai's injury?

Reply #644171 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Nate is finishing rehab from shoulder surgery.

Reply #644176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weight issues too as always...

Reply #644190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nah mate I said his injury, stick to the topic.

Reply #644224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now that rosters look complete not sure who Sydney's back up centre is?
Will go
1. Melbourne
2. Perth
3. Adelaide
4. Sydney

5. Illawarra
6. Cairns
7. New Zealand
8. Brisbane

13 new imports this year.

Reply #644624 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

36ers crawling thru mud , barbed wire , knocking down walls , climbing mountains and ropes etc , here at camp.. gonna be hard to beat.....

Reply #645098 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754