ABC
Years ago

More to the Prather story

There's a little bit more to this story. The cats made Casey an offer that he was happy with given he didn't make an NBA roster, Webster pulls the pin so the cats jump on cotton and pay big money by NBA standards (no other option really), Casey's agent finds out what Cotton is to be paid and tells the cats that he wants them to match Cottons contract or he goes elsewhere. The cats tried to meet him somewhere in the middle but he throws a tantie and looks for contracts elsewhere....and now at melbourne still not getting paid as much as Cotton. As a cat's supporter it's difficult to see him go but this just shows the difference between Cotton and Prather, not only is cotton more important to the squad than prather but he turned down much bigger offers in Europe to come back, Prather showed that money is his number 1 motivation.

Topic #41673 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #643823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton was the best player on the championship team and to me there are more Prather types out there than Cottons.

Reply #643824 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

Problem for the cats is, they didn't sign a Prather type.

They signed a Beal type with Prather tendencies.

Could the Wildcats honestly not afford Prather's asking price?

Reply #643827 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

If that story is true, it seems to be more about principal than money. In saying that, I'm sure no player will play for free

Reply #643831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Problem for the cats is, they didn't sign a Prather type.

They signed a Beal type with Prather tendencies."

As long as Walker can get to the basket and create space for the other players, it doesn't matter that he isn't the exact same player as Prather.

Reply #643832 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Good on him and good luck to him! United my second team. Prather will be missed but we fortunate to have him back in the nbl.

Will be disappointed if doesn't receive a standing ovation when he comes back to the arena.

Reply #643835 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I would guess that it being more about the principle than the actual dollar amount is pretty common.
In this case (assuming it is actually true, of course), it wouldn't say to me that money is his #1 motivation at all. But money is basically the main way a club shows value/respect towards a player.

I've preached my thoughts on Prather's value to the Cats for a long time now on here. I guess now we'll get to see just how easy to replace his contributions are. Suffice to say I disagree that there are more Prather types out there than Cottons.

Reply #643837 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Spot on Luuuc, it's extremely common. I know of instances where clubs thought they could low ball players because they are a home town kids or they're close mates with the other players that he'll never leave etc. This leads to a player feeling devalued and not staying. A sense of worth is one of the most important things in any workplace and sometimes the arrogance of club GM's when it comes to contract negotiating can diminish that.

Reply #643838 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

Was it arrogance on the Cats side? or could they genuinely not afford his asking price once they signed Cotton?

If theirs tiers of imports, I'd say everywhere around the world Cotton's skill set puts him in a bracket above Prathers. Even though Prather is a star in his own right.

Reply #643839 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

They didn't sign a prather type, they signed a Jaron Johnson type. Which makes sense as Johnson was originally signed to replace Prather...

Reply #643841 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Last season Cotton showed he was clearly the best import in the league with Randle a little bit behind and Prather and the rest a bit behind Randle.

Yes, Cotton types (volume scoring guards) are easier to find than Prather types but the difference in talent between the two is why you pick Cotton over him every time.

Reply #643842 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I'm not suggesting there was arrogance in play in this instance but more so general commentary around why players don't sign at a particular club that they seem to be fond of. It's often us armchair critics that point to a selfish player wanting more $$ when that isn't always the case

Reply #643844 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Well according to you it was exactly that in this case. Prather demanded to be paid Cotton money, goodbye Casey.

Reply #643845 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

You're drawing a long bow to say that money is his number 1 motivation - how do you know that for sure? Maybe he genuinely wanted to experience another city..maybe Melbourne can offer other non-financial benefits? Maybe he has friends/family in MEL?

I dislike the inference that you feel Perth should be entitled to keep Prather almost purely because he has only ever played for them in the NBL; and that Prather should accept whatever Perth give him. He is entitled to explore the open market; and considering Perth seem to have shown a preference to Cotton, you can hardly blame him.

Prather isn't the first import to change teams; and won't be the last; and Perth isn't the first team its happened to and won't be the last.

Reply #643847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive been waiting for this salt. ABC thanks for starting the petty party!

Reply #643848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I dislike the inference that you feel Perth should be entitled to keep Prather almost purely because he has only ever played for them in the NBL; and that Prather should accept whatever Perth give him. He is entitled to explore the open market; and considering Perth seem to have shown a preference to Cotton, you can hardly blame him."

I think the difference between exploring the open market, and what Prather did (according to OP) is that he verbally accepted an offer but then decided it wasn't good enough based off what someone else was paid. That seems a bit off to me.

But having said all that, I don't think that is really what happened. I think the Cats had to make a decision on Prather or a replacement, Prather was still weighing up offers so Walker came along (a suitable replacement) so they cut their losses and went with the guy who could commit then and there or risk missing out on both. Prather didn't get the NBA or Euro gig he was after, Melbourne swooped, and thats just unlucky for the Cats.

Reply #643850 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

I don't think Cats fans are being Petty.

They have a right to be upset that their team didn't pay a star import who led them to back to back championships what he wanted.

You can't falter Prather for his decisions this season, and to an extent you can support the Wildcats for theirs.

It just came down to circumstance, timing, money and knowledge.

At the time, Prather had a verbal agreement with the cats.

Circumstances change, Webster out, more money to Cotton.

Prather finds out Cotton got more money.

Wildcats can't wait and sign Walker.

Prather off to Melbourne.

Just like Cotton didn't want to wait and saw a good opportunity and took it. The Wildcats took the opportunity with Devondrick.

It's really just salty situation, with Melbourne the benefactors

Reply #643853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats arrogance cost them Prather. It's done now. Let's move on. :)

Reply #643854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares about semantics. More interested in the final $ amounts. The question is even though Prather didn't get the same salary from Melb Utd as Cotton did, what is the difference? I assume he got more than Cats offered, so he wins. and it may be not that much lower than Cotton's? Anyone know?

Reply #643855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cats arrogance cost them Prather"

How so?

Reply #643856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lowballing a star.

Reply #643857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did they lowball him? If OP's story is true, they offered him a contract that he was happy with.

No doubt you're one of the idiots here who trolls Cats fans, then later complains that Cats fans post too much when they respond to you.

Reply #643858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

says dumb shit
gets owned for it
"huhuhu cats fans so salty huhu"

Reply #643859 | Report this post

ABC  
Years ago

I will admit my comment that Prather's number 1 motivation is $$$ was a bit harsh, Regardless of what happened I think both parties now have what they want. The cats gave him the option of coming back and in the end Prather wasn't happy with the money given Cotton's salary (would love to know what that is), the cats now have the type of player that they feel is a better fit for the system they want to run, and Prather gets more money. I loved having Casey at the cats but they had 2 options:

1. Webster (or an unproven replacement that could have been a bust) and Prather.

2. Cotton and Walker (a guy who could also end up being a bust but someone that Cotton wants to play with and has on court chemistry with).

Walker is a far better perimeter shooter (the cats openly wanted to improve in this area), passer, he is also a solid defender and is able to get to the rim, but most importantly DURABLE. Prather a better finisher at the rim, defender and better equipped as a rebounder and as a defender when switched onto bigs but their is a big question mark over his durability.

Cotton loves it in Perth really wants to be at the cats and likely to stay on after this season, Prather is so close to making the NBA so is less likely to stay long term, Perth have always tried to minimise personnel changes and in my opinion this was a big factor when making their decision going forward.

Melbourne are a much better team with Prather on the roster but with Goulding being the main man and very ball dominant surely they would be looking to a pass first, playmaking PG rather than Casper Ware. Interested to hear what you guys think...

Reply #643861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know higher offers were declined. It's business. Move on.

Reply #643865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cats fans get salty
get owned for it
"huhuhu other fans say dumb shit huhu"

Reply #643868 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

It's so good we have so many agents and front office staff that know the details of every players contract posting on this site.

Reply #643869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Incredibly pointless thread to start. He has left, deal with it. This just looks sodium overload, regardless of its intention. Cats fans best to leave this thread alone...

Reply #643875 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's so good we have so many agents and front office staff that know the details of every players contract posting on this site.
The agents and staff talk. There'd be a lot of people on Hoops who routinely hear contract specifics.

Anyway, I asked on Twitter: You're building an NBL team. Do you take Prather or Cotton?

Results so far: 59% Prather, 41% Cotton.

(Sounds like a clothing tag.)

Reply #643876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Made in America? Or China?

Reply #643877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the "pointless thread" guy that same one who posted "no one cares" in a similar thread last week (after posting 30 times himself)?

Reply #643878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah im bro different poster. I shouldnt have used the term pointless, no thread is completely pointless, but it has one look for Cats fans even remotely deflecting any negativity onto Prather, and thats SALT.

Reply #643879 | Report this post

ABC  
Years ago

Anon a new thread wasn't started by me, it was written under another post and moved to its own thread. I don't know why anons get so butt hurt by new threads anyway...if you don't like it don't read it.

Reply #643880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather has fought for the cats for the last few years and carried them to titles (yes back to back). Cotton shows up halfway through the season and puts the icing on the cake which Prather baked. Completely fair Prather asked to be matched.

Reply #643881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha Prather carried the cats to their first title but they were on the bottom of the ladder when cotton arrived. Cotton carried the cats last season...

Reply #643882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

their=his

Reply #643883 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Prather has fought for the cats for the last few years and carried them to titles (yes back to back). Cotton shows up halfway through the season and puts the icing on the cake which Prather baked. Completely fair Prather asked to be matched
That being said, if he's agreed to a contract and then demands more upon Cotton signing, what are Perth supposed to do? Go back to Cotton and pay him less?

I'm skeptical of the assertions in the OP, though, given Liam Santamaria citing 'timing' as being a significant factor and Cotton signing so quickly after Webster left.

Reply #643884 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cotton would've already been agreed to before Webster got released, the Wildcats just did him a favour by allowing him to save face and make it look like he left of his own volition. The Cotton signing was announced the next day after Webster got punted.

Reply #643886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man if if a club says they have x amount of $ to spend, you perhaps reluctantly agree.... find out they offered an equal, in Prathers eyes perhaps, more id be pissed too. And id demand my value. Pretty sure Perth wouldve played poor in negotiations if any of this is true to start with. Anyways hope Prather absolutely torches Perth every game they play, enjoy that.

Reply #643891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah you seem rational.

Reply #643900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are too good for the NBA and Prather ;)

Reply #643902 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

In this case you can see both sides had their reasons, probably justifiably too. Clearly wasn't meant to be. Yes cats fans will be gutted he has joined a rival, as they bloody well should he is an elite player, no denying the salt here, be crazy if you weren't salty. Equally excited to see how the team fits together this year, I am in the corner that says Cotton is more elite than prather and his addition requires less of prathers playmaking. Can the season start already

Reply #643904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Prather is a fan favourite but Walker will be a more than adequate replacement.

Reply #643910 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The cake that Prather was allegedly cooking was actually starting to look like a burnt scone prior to Cotton coming along and sewing the season back together.

Reply #643985 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Couple of mentions about verbal agreement here, though not from the OP. It's possible/likely that the indication was less verbal agreement to a specific contract, but rather an indication that they were in the ballpark at that point.

Until it's signed or there is at least a stronger verbal commitment, it's possible that the game moves to another ballpark if other info comes to hand. Especially if part of the negotiation has involved the club indicating that they are working within a budget or that the roster would take a particular shape.

Reply #643988 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Prather for mine over Cotton, especially when they already had Webster.

Prather is a much better all-court contributor, whereas Cotton is a streaky volume shooter who is brilliant when on but can hurt the team when he is off, and over his career he's had plenty of off nights.

If Cotton finds consistency then he'll be the best player in the comp, but if Wildcats fans are expecting his last few games to be the norm I think their expectations may be a little too high.

Reply #643990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton was signed, and three days later the announcement came that Prather wouldn't return. I don't know that is enough time for all the events regarding Prather's "tantrum" (as OP described it) and the subsequent counter offers to occur.

I think the Cats just had to make a decision on their import SF, and Prather was still seeking an NBA or Euro gig at the time so they went with Walker. If they didn't act, they risked losing both.

Reply #643992 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

Also worth nothing, that last season Prather signed on quite late.

Ironically, the Wildcats due diligence to sign a quality player early has come back to bite them.

Reply #643993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ironically, the Wildcats due diligence to sign a quality player early has come back to bite them."

Who was that?

Reply #643994 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

Devondrick.

He's not a terrible player. just not prather

Reply #643995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How has that come back to bite the Cats though?

That was the risk. Hold out for their returning player, or sign the guy who is ready to go. If they wait too long, they could miss out on both.

How do you know Walker isn't as good as Prather?

Reply #643997 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Walker is not as good as Prather.

Reply #644000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm convinced!

Reply #644003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, you're way off with your Webster timeline mate. Firstly, booting a player who just signed a two year deal would have definitely cost them a pay out.

Secondly, and what really happened, was Webster truely wanted to play in Europe for a long time, and after getting a taste of some Summer League options, he negotiated the terms of his release with Perth. Perth professionally came to the party and left emotions aside, meeting Webster and his agent.

*Cotton was always wanted, however, the price was slightly off. So by signing D.Walker, they saved a lot on Prather, and could use that money plus the money that was on Webster's contract to bump their initial contract offer to Cotton. He accepted.

No conspiracy, just timing.

Reply #644020 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Good luck to Casey on getting the best deal for himself, why should he be loyal to Perth, clubs at all levels of sport only care about themselves at the end of the day. Loyalty is an over use word, clubs have no issue cutting players surplus to their needs, hell we did it quite a bit last year, until we got what we wanted. Why shouldn't players get the best outcome they possibly can for them selves.

In saying that hope he kills it against all teams other then the Cats :)

Reply #644023 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Have to laugh at the suggestion the Webster and Cotton signing/release weren't related. Seriously?

Reply #644025 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It's all well and good to place 2 logically related events together, but do we have any proof that that's how it went down?

I don't think we'll ever know.

Eg. Everyone thought Jaron Johnson got the boot because he is was crap and the Wildcats just wanted to upgrade to save their season. 6 months later we find out differently.

Reply #644049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you saying Webster "lapsed"? ;)

Reply #644053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's all well and good to place 2 logically related events together, but do we have any proof that that's how it went down?

I don't think we'll ever know.

Eg. Everyone thought Jaron Johnson got the boot because he is was crap and the Wildcats just wanted to upgrade to save their season. 6 months later we find out differently"

You tell paul that he shouldn't jump to conclusions with his logical suggestion that Webster left because Cotton returned, but then throw in "well it might be something really really bad" to make your point?

Reply #644058 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

No...perhaps the use of JJ was a poor example. I did not mean to suggest because one example involved substance means the other has too. The two are not related.

Reply #644059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to laugh at the suggestion we will never know. Duh.

Reply #644061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love how people have written Walker off before he has even played, i bet not one of you have watched any d league games and are basing your assumptions on a highlight reel.

Reply #644074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All new imports are unknown.
Walker could be the next Prather or the next Joe Shipp. time will tell.
As a Perth fan I wish Casey good luck except when he plays us :)

Reply #644076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #644074 it happens each and every time. Fans who over react by watching a few seconds of film and come up with grand conclusions. Forgetting about all the other variables that hinder or promote performance. Just another day on Hoops.

Reply #644080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hopefully he turns out to be the next Andre Ingram. i.e. even though he is mediocre he eventually gets replaced by someone good.

Reply #644082 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754