Anonymous
Years ago

I feel old - Fox replaying 2007/8 NBL GF

Fox replaying the 2007-08 Grand Final between Kings and Tigers ending now after the Asian Cup broadcast.

Now 2017-18 is about to start. WTF :x I feel so old, feels like yesterday.

Also Crivelli is in Westover's ear during a stoppage in play but is ignored... LOL. Now the CEO!

Topic #41678 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hummer were the league sponsor. HAHAHAHAHA oh me oh my

Reply #643966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Margaret Gaze drops an F bomb (could see her mouth it) from the corporate box while Lindsay smiles wryly. Gold.

Alright bedtime.

Reply #643967 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

You feel old? Mate, I saw my first NBL game in 1986 at Perry Lakes. To steal a joke from someone else...I don't break wind....I break dust! Get off my lawn!

Reply #643998 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You've got me covered. My first game was the Nth Melbourne Giants against the West Sydney Westars at the Glasshouse in 1987!

Reply #644002 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

1979, but not the absolute first game.

Reply #644010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chill Gus et al. I've been following since 1990 but the point was the replay brought back memories and it felt like yesterday. When I see 90s games I think oh that was eons ago but the 07-08 seems like it was more recent than ten years ago.

What struck me is how that season was the height of the league in the 2000s - every game of that Kings-Tigers series was tight. Any game between the trio of Kings-Tigers-Bullets was top quality. Contrast it to the last Grand Final in March - boring blowouts every game. :(

Also another moment that stood out was Goorjian complaining to Butler about time left on the clock. Butler and Goorjian get into it with Butler laying down the law and Goorjian finally yielding. Mutual respect. Unlike today where the refs seem to have no control and the coaches are basically abusive.

Reply #644011 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Old?

Apollo stadium. 1982. Playing in junior sideshow/ curtain raiser games. Adelaide derbies. West Adelaide being the better Adelaide team in the NBL. Leaping Leroy playing for Wests. Al Green still an import. David Winslow import player. Ray Wood pre- eye injury. Dwayne Nelson holding down an import slot.

Or... a few 36ers games played at Forestville. Adelaide with 3 WNBL teams with NCT playing at Morphett Vale. Michelle Brogan being spotted playing for Primary school and starting out at NCT.

Or... training with a 16 year old Bradtke... already 6 foot 9. He played u 18s, u 20s, District reserve and District to learn a game... before going to AIS.

Reply #644129 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Old...

NBL refs entering the court at the Apollo to Kermit singing "It's not easy being green" because of some green coloured refs sponsor.

Reply #644130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sigh... this isn't a thread for cock measuring your age. More about that classic 07/08 series.

Reply #644132 | Report this post

charon69  
Years ago

Yes it is. You young kids have no understanding of the nnl in its hey day. Far superior then and earlier than today will ever be

Reply #644152 | Report this post

charon69  
Years ago

Clearly a small penis.

Reply #644168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm the OP. Point was more about the fantastic 07/08 GF season. Then all you old codgers chime in like it's a contest. Like I said I followed since 1990 but it felt like 07/08 wasn't that long ago, doesn't mean I started in '07.

It seems like on here you either have current talk ppl saying they were watching basketball since Naismith invented it but nothing in between.

I'll name the thread Friday Flashback next time.

Reply #644189 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hahaha! Someone names a thread 'I feel old' and then complains when people talk about things that happened in the past!

Reply #644198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah paul my bad lol.

At least it allowed Gus' streak of fifteen plus years of one post per year reminding us how old school he is to continue.

Reply #644239 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haha! But yeah, what a great series that was. The three Melbourne derbies in the 90s, Melbourne v Perth in 93, Sydney v Melbourne in 08 and Perth v NZ in 2012 just stick out so clearly in my memory as such great series.

The derbies moreso for the crowds and the incredible hype in Melbourne, the others just as superb series with all sorts of momentum changes.

Reply #644240 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Melbourne derbies managed to set/equal grand final record margins two years running didn't they?

Reply #644244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe so. I have a list of top ten attendances of all time and regular season Melbourne derbies are at the top.

Reply #644246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On second reading what do you mean by margin? Crowd?

Reply #644248 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Oddly enough, by 'margin' I meant 'margin'.

Reply #644250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Margin of what then? Scores? By being vague you were being vague.

Reply #644258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty sure he means margin of crowds

Reply #644260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he meant some of those Melbourne derby GF aeries were blowouts so is questioning why paul is listing them in a best finals group.

Reply #644262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game was better then a lot more dunks

Reply #644266 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I have no idea what a 'crowd margin' would even be.

Reply #644272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alright kr pipe down.

Awaiting paul's retort.

Reply #644276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Alright kr pipe down."

No, he got accused of being vague when he was talking about margins, all because someone decided margins meant crowd numbers for some bizarre reason. Don't blame koberulz because other people can't read.

Reply #644284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes headmaster I'm so sorry.

Feels like being back at school!

Reply #644291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because you're a bully?

Reply #644298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha what a way to continue the school theme.

Reply #644302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's a tip. Why don't you comment on what has been posted instead of just seeing the username and saying something snarky?

Reply #644305 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yes headmaster I'm so sorry.

Feels like being back at school!

And you still don't know not to write in the margins.

Reply #644306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's a tip anon - STFU. Waiting on paul's reply about why he feels those Melbourne blowouts were some of the best GF series. I think it was more to do with how big the event was in Melbourne rather than competitiveness of games.

Reply #644310 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He said as much in the post I was initially replying to.

Reply #644345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waiting on paul to answer and expand. The crowds were huge for those derbies of course, the first of its kind in the NBL.

Reply #644350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What were the crowd margins, paul?

Reply #644362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahaha

Reply #644366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly if you remember the 90s series and margins you are decrepit.

Reply #644390 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:43 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754