Years ago

Ben Simmons fills in for local Melbourne team

For this that didn't catch it on the news tonight, Ben filled in for a team at Greensborough and put on a clinic. Needless to say the other team was shocked. Plenty of footage going around.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/basketball/a/36795494/ben-simmons-shows-off-hops-in-local-melbourne-game/

Topic #41694 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

I bet the 76ers are thrilled.

Reply #644491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oops

Reply #644492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Brown would be stoked. Pretty smart move sure insurance would cover any injuries from local league in Vic.

Reply #644494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Competition so terrible, it's classed as training by yourself.

Reply #644497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Takes 1 hero. Dont be naive to the risk involved. 76ers would be furious if he even hurt something on a 1 on 0 dunk attempt.

Reply #644499 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Exactly... Initial "lol that's cool" thoughts pretty quickly stifled by logical concerns of coming down bad on an ankle, or have one hero get sick of being schooled with a brain fart and buh bow...

Hopefully his old man or Coach Brown knocked some sense into him... doubt 76ers would be pleased at all...

Reply #644500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dumb d3cision. He would have no insurance whatsoever.

Reply #644504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is his facial expression always the same? Low affect?

Reply #644508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why even make such a stupid comment.

Reply #644525 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

I don't understand the outrage NBA players always play in pick up games in the off season. Granted they are against other pro's, there are also some average joes playing as well - it's just not as obvious of a team of Aussie social ballers.

Reply #644526 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why does he even make the news ...seriously it's the hype given that puts him where he is

Reply #644527 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It didn't look like Simmons was putting himself at any risk of injury to me. Was not exerting himself at all and was just taking open lanes for dunks. Overreaction to a non issue.

Reply #644533 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah I don't get the outrage. Surely you would rather see him playing semi-serious (not even at that level from what I can see) in a game like that indoors than out on a cement court against a bunch of hotshots looking to make a name for themselves.

Reply #644535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why even make such a stupid comment."

What? Sorry for stating the obvious. Maybe it's just an age thing.

Reply #644537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just googled the topic and found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6l0mf9/is_it_me_or_does_ben_simmons_resemble_mona_lisa/

Now THAT is stupid!

Reply #644538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Age. Just a dumb cheap peanut gallery comment that isn't needed. From some fracktard in the bleachers with no game.

Reply #644561 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'538, r/NBA make a particular effort to outdo each other with their off-season posts. There are some absolute classics.

And yeah, Simmons does look a bit Mona Lisa.

Reply #644571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Just a dumb cheap peanut gallery comment that isn't needed."

Agreed. We don't need those comments here.

"From some fracktard in the bleachers with no game."

oh...

Reply #644574 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Because people always have accidents and injure themselves on purpose, so if they don't intend to, an accident won't happen... sheesh...

I haven't seen any outrage, I think calling people calling him out for an irresponsible act as outrage is an overreaction... Doesn't take much to go for an easy rebound and land on someone's foot...

There's a difference between experienced NBA players playing pick up games and then there's a #1 pick that missed his first season in the league due to injury that is yet to play a game doing it...

Reply #644581 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Simmons missed all of last season due to injury, the 76ers even held him out of the Summer League last month and then he comes home and plays in a nothing game he could've re-injured himself in and unlikely to have been covered by insurance too.

Reply #644587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perfect summation. BB would be spewing.

Reply #644617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did he get the appropriate FIBA Clearance?

Did BA/BV investigate?

Reply #644651 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Wouldn't be cleared to play under his contract.

Reply #644652 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

I'm sure if he'd asked the 76ers/BB, they wouldn't have thought it was a good idea. That probably should have been his answer. Oh well, no harm done.

Reply #644785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would have breached his contract. He also scored 37 points in a C grade competition. Clearly not the sharpest tool on the shed.

Reply #644842 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, especially if he's keeping his tools ON his shed...

Reply #644910 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754