what the
Years ago

Angela Marino top scores for NZ

This young lady top scored for NZ (13 pts) in their loss to USA.
Well done for a junior.

Topic #417 | Report this topic

what the  
Years ago

U.S. 63 99
New Zealand 24 47
U.S.: Swintayla Cash 19, Sheryl Swoopes 14, Lisa Leslie 13, Diana Taurasi 12, Tina Thompson 11, Yolanda Griffith 9, Tamika Catchings 6, Suzanne Bird 6, Ruth Riley 6, Shannon Johnson 3
New Zealand: Angela Marino 13, Donna Loffhagen 9, Aneka Kerr 8, Gina Farmer 5, Tania Tupu 4, Sally Farmer 3, Megan Compain 2, Jody Tini 2, Rebecca Cotton 1

Reply #3088 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

You should mention she also started and played 34 out of 40mins...although she did have 9 turnovers but what do you expect against superstars?!

Reply #3100 | Report this post

Scott Butler  
Years ago

People keep knocking her and she keeps on getting back up. Those people concentrate on what she can't do and don't give her credit for what she can do, which is flat out play! She's about as mentally tough as anyone to come out of Sturt and has a Jana-Pittman-like will to win! She is definitely the hardest worker I've seen at her own game. Well done Ange! Keep it up!

Reply #3106 | Report this post

Zimmerman  
Years ago

Scott

As far as I can see from the forum nobody is knocking her well done to her and I hope she keeps up the good form for the entire tournament.

Perhaps it is the thin skin that Sturt people seem to have at times.

Reply #3111 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

I hope she keeps up her good form - Sturt's ABL women badly need some outside options for next season

Reply #3113 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he was speaking generally and not about forum criticism.

Reply #3114 | Report this post

Scott Butler  
Years ago

I was speaking generally

Reply #3122 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Does anyone seriously think she will be playing for Sturt ABL next season? She'll surely get scouted and be playing somehwere for $$ !

Reply #3126 | Report this post

Fat Elvis  
Years ago

I doubt Sturt will have a similar group next season. Looks like they might have 5 or more restricted players next year. L. Summerton, M. Bowley and Mahony are with the Lightning, Marino is now an international? And is Nixon playing in Europe again? Might need to give some other juniors a chance.

Reply #3128 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Half-time in NZ vs Korea and Marino is leading all scorers with 13!

Reply #3146 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Well done Angela! She certainly is doing a fantastic job for a first timer on the big ineternational stage, especially since she is a short, small framed point guard. I agree with Buts, she is defitley one of the most hard working players you will ever see...held a few shooting records for the club a couple of years back that were better the most of the men's players the same age!

P.S.: Great generalisation 'Zimmerman'. Care to put your real name and reputation up for all us soft skinned Sturties to judge for ourselves??? Maybe your a little too soft yourself...

Reply #3153 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Angela will be playing WNBL for another state and then possibly playing for another club.

Reply #3154 | Report this post

Zimmerman  
Years ago

That is the idea of a forum such as this Liam to express your opinion and no I won't be putting up my identity however when you deal with people from Sturt on a regular basis you cannot but help to arrive at the opinion that they think that the game of basketball was invented just for them.

Reply #3156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know when the next NZ game is going to be telecast on TV so we can all watch the AMAZING Angela in action!???

Well done to her and goodluck for the rest of her Olympics!

She is a great player and definately is one of the most hard working players around.

You go girl!

Reply #3160 | Report this post

Scott Butler  
Years ago

Wouldn't it be good to post (using your own name) and not get bagged for a change. This thread is not meant to be a discussion of the thickness of anybody's skin, so let's not continue. I think we all agree that Angela has done very well, we all wish her good luck and hope we see a NZ women's game on TV (make that ad free on SBS!) in the next few days.

Reply #3161 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Not saying you can't have an opinion at all Zimmerman. Everyone's opinion is welcome. Scott put his opinion up about Angela, and you turned it into a slagging match about our club.

Come to think about it, both your contributions to this 'thread' are little more then sledges at Sturt that lack any factual basis. What kind of responce would you expect to immature threads questioning toughness made by someone who lacks any courage to put there own name to their post??

Reply #3162 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

According to Fiba Buzzer, Marino just finished with 19 in the game against Korea. They won by about 8 after Korea pulled within 5 late in the fourth. Great performance.

Reply #3165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh for christs sake... liam, scott, get over your little sturt selves. respesct the fact that someone else has an OPINION and worry about the more important things in life.

who really cares if they dont wanna put there name up...

Reply #3177 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anonymous -- this started because Zimmerman assumed that Scott was suggesting that Marino had been criticised on this forum. She hasn't been criticised on this forum and he wasn't suggesting that she had.

I thought that the line about "thin skin" was a bit unnecessary.

Reply #3181 | Report this post

Jimmy  
Years ago

Just wanted to congratulate Angela and if she does happen to see this, a big hello from all your well wishers from Whyalla. Great job and keep up the effort.

Reply #3193 | Report this post

GoGirl  
Years ago

Current PTS Leaderboard

Rk Name Team GP Total Avg
1 JACKSON Lauren 3 73 24.3
1 UDOKA Mfon 3 73 24.3
3 MALTSI Evanthia 3 60 20.0
4 CHEN Nan 3 58 19.3
5 ARCAIN Janeth 3 56 18.7
6 VALDEMORO Madariaga 3 54 18.0
7 LESLIE Lisa 3 53 17.7
7 MARINO Angela 3 53 17.7
9 KOSTAKI Anastasia 3 50 16.7

Nice work Angela 7th in scoring in the tourney after 3 games !!!

Reply #3558 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

After reading all these replies, it makes me laugh that the people that bag Angela the most are the Sturt people!

Reply #3597 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

I thought that Angela was Born in Whyalla from Italian Parents, How is it that She is playing for Australia....???? I know tha She played all her junior Basketball in whyalla, and has represented Her State.........

Reply #3982 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

oops sorrie I ment playing for New Zealand.....

Reply #3983 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Zimmerman and anonymous, I think your Sturt comments are warranted to a point. Their "come play for us and we'll get you a gig with the 36ers" ABL mens' teams of the past few years have been getting past a joke, but we're not talking about the men here.

Watched Angela play this arvo on SBS. Damn, she's got ticker. Obviously undersized against the stronger international guards but she must be taking some of the male-cyclist goodies, 'cause she keeps going and going like an Eveready battery. Good luck to her - a little Aussie/Kiwi (who really knows?) girl who plays with Sturt and is tearing it up in Greece. As Bruce would say (if he was hosting the damn Olympics and not 110% idiot Tony Squires) - it's special!

Reply #3996 | Report this post

kir  
Years ago

YAY! tall ferns might be in quarter finals!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE ANGELA!!She is sooo amazing! well done to her and the rest of the tall ferns!!

from a proud NZer and ANGELAS #1 FAN

Reply #4077 | Report this post

angelas_fan_in_nz  
Years ago

woohoo! go angela! man, u got many fans already! and im one of the biggest ones!!!! havnt missed a single tall ferns game in the olympics since u showed up shooting freethrows on tv.. lol u got me glued! go ANGELA and the TALL FERNS!!! u make me smile everytime u play.. havnt smiled like this for a while.. n ur somehow doing it even if ur in the other side of the world....keep up the good work girl :)

Reply #4348 | Report this post

nz_bball_chik  
Years ago

YEAH! Tall Ferns in tha quarter finals! Go angela! ur doing nz proud! We all luv ya 2 bits bak here, keep it up!

Reply #4504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good work angela. shes doing ok. only one thing really got to say. scoring aint everything, she needs to cut down turnovers, and pass it more, not to mention make some smarter defensive decissions. otherwise good effort

Reply #6254 | Report this post

Angela Marino  
Years ago

Hi this is Angela Marino to everybody who supported me thankyou very much, it was an experience that I will never forget.
Thanks again

Reply #6518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She is cute too. Agree?

Reply #105109 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:01 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754