Isaac
Years ago

Should the SA Premier League GF be three games?

West-Southern was the first ABL game I've been to in a few years - great match up. I think the last game I was at was Webber's half-court heave for the title?

I heard at some point that the QBL run a three game series for their grand finals. Should the Premier League consider the same?

Chance to boost the rivalry and bring a bit more income to the association and clubs?

Might get a reduced crowd in the third game if either of the mens or womens series only went two games, but might be better than nothing.

I assume it would work against the better players being required for NBL pre-season maybe, though that wouldn't have had much impact in this case?

(Mostly starting this as a discussion point rather than thinking I'm any Premier League expert after one game in 5 years...)

Topic #41703 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

First I think the game runs at a loss these days so not sure there would be a financial incentive to do it.

Maybe 3 game series could be played elsewhere given crowd numbers may shrink per game. A Game 3 match up would be similar to a one off you'd think so TSA would be needed and no income to be made there for BSA.

A lot of Leagues now do Series for GFs. QBL and BigV run series while SEABL and Waratah still have single GF games.

Reply #644660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly, you could not play all 3 games at the Arena. I'm pretty sure BSA already run the current one game format at the Arena at a loss so to then absorb the possibility of three games wouldn't be financially viable.

Secondly, you would have to move it to a home and away format for the above financial reason. Currently there are not many venues if any that could cope with the crowd that attended the Arena. We saw the crush of spectators at Hillcrest during the finals.

Until there is better stadia I think the reality is PL is stuck in the current format.

Reply #644661 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Hang on BSA didn't make money out of that event? $15 per ticket and a guess of 3500 people in attendance. Someone is taking this piss if that is true.

Reply #644667 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

oh plus the 1000 plus cars in the car park at $10 per car

Reply #644668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

income vs cost. BSA would have lost money

Reply #644671 | Report this post

James Woods  
Years ago

If it went to that format =

1 home final, 1 away final, 3rd at the Arena.

Might be a big ask for 3 games running for all the families and Juniors that time of year.

Would need a Friday night, Sunday arvo, Fri / Sat night arrangement.

If either mens or womens was over in 2 games and the other needed a third game - would mean opening up arena for 1 game - ? would not be viable ?

Reply #644672 | Report this post

James Woods  
Years ago

recent GF looked the best attended for sometime

Reply #644673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then maybe utilise Wayville for game 3 with the added stands that they have brought in for Australian Championships.

Reply #644678 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

BSA should utilise wayville anyway.... for games held in unsuitable venues eg Hillcrest

Reply #644679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Car parking goes to arena not to bsa
ticketmaster get their cut of tickets.
canteens etc to arena or sixers
cost of hiring venue, paying for security
they wouldn't be bringing home much money.

don't think for a minute that the $25 you paid for car parking and entry went to BSA.

Reply #644680 | Report this post

let's be honest  
Years ago

Let's be honest people as at the end of the day it could be done but it would be up to Mr Gibson as to whether he would rest the top 5 referees for game 1 or two if they are not an elimination game

Reply #644685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep it a one, gives the underdogs a great chance, in this case west. Just like NCAA best team on night takes home the bikkies, makes more excitement. Top team gets the advantage of better route to final.
As for losing money this is why state needs to sort out a proper centre, so majority of $25 goes to scouts and Ticketmaster, disgraceful.
Pity wayville couldn't hold more fans, could have men and women on separate nights to even out crowd, canteen etc doesn't go to forestville and heaps of free parking.

Reply #644686 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If they're losing money on it, then forget it.

Does the arena have much else going on at that time of year that they could play hardball with negotiations?

I know when it first started, the Cellar Door Fest was created as an event by the Convention Centre to fill a void in their programming.

Reply #644691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is off topic but going to wine region recently with "cellar doors" everywhere yet none were actually cellars... lol.

Reply #644707 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Only BSA could mess up an event where thousands turn up and pay yet they lost money. perhaps less VIP party pies next time

Reply #644714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well then seeing as they run at a loss to subsidise the game so it isnt too expensive for the average fan and family maybe they should kick up the price to $30 a ticket so they make money.

Because no one would complain about that.

Ticketmaster and TSA arent charities, they are in the business of making money. They arent flexible with their rental or contractual arrangements. The scoreboard for example is a seperate fee if you want to use it.

Maybe a few people need to grasp the concept of commercial realities.

Reply #644716 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

If there was close to 4000 people, and tickets at $15 wasn't profitable, then they need somebody who actually knows how to run an event, because that should well and truly be profitable.

Reply #644733 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

If there was close to 4000 people, and tickets at $15 wasn't profitable, then they need somebody who actually knows how to run an event, because that should well and truly be profitable.

Reply #644734 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

How stupid to have what looked like to be a poor mans VIP area and having the CEO carrying drinks along the side of Court to others.

I'm sure that the 3000+ crowd would have appreciated seeing the players names and stats on the score board than ads for joining the 36ers for next season.
Piss poor treatment of supporters in my opinion.

By the way, if Team 'A' won first of 3, then second of 4, there is absolutely no need for Game 3

Reply #644755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To utilise the stats on the scoreboard is an extra cost.

Reply #644759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey money was made. By the private consortium which now run the venue.

Only Adult tickets were $15. For those that had to pay. And there was not close to 4,000 there.

Reply #644760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How come reserves have all the courts on Tuesday night with literally dozens of spectators, how come that is infinitely more of a loss.
Why not pre-sell tickets at clubs involved then have volunteers sell at game. Have one line for each team and whoever gets the most fans gets the biggest cut.
Don't know how to solve car park but it's a shame stadium couldn't help out on one of biggest nights of year by doing discount.

Reply #644909 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754