CT
Years ago

QBL: Marlins title run vs Taipans preseason?

Jordan Gerrans (he of the 'NBA in Australia a pointless waste of time' story a few weeks ago) was at it again the Cairns Post this morning.

I'm not going to link to the article as it's behind a paywall but the main point of his piece was to question the impact that the Taipans/Marlins relationship has had on the Marlins chances of a second consecutive QBL title. In particular, he makes the point that the way in which certain players such as Weigh and Kuany were slotted into the squad mid-season (presumably to get them fit and ready for the NBL season) affected their chances of a legit top 4 finish and limited the minutes of non-NBL players for whom a QBL title would be a career highlight. Also that the heavy preseason schedule in the week leading up to the semi in Townsville left the players worn out before a crucial game they could and should have won.

Just like his other article that got discussed on here, this seems to have been written in a very clickbaity way and seems to feed off of some of the worst of the anti-Fearne rhetoric you sometimes hear from Cairns Basketball diehards. A lot of his arguments are parochial and tenuous; he glosses over the very substantial contributions that Weigh and Kuany made for example; there area a few games that the Marlins wouldn't have won without these two putting up 25 pts between them. I think his argument also seriously underestimates the Townsville Heat and the level of the QBL as a whole.

That said, he does make a couple of interesting points. In particualr, why did most of the Marlins squad play Friday night against Texas when they had a 5-hour drive to Townsville and a crucial semi the next day? In particular, why did Heuir and Weigh both play, despite Fearne publicly announcing that they wouldn't?

Any other Taipans fans read this and want to Weigh in? (boom-tish)

Topic #41710 | Report this topic

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

I read that article also CT. I agree with you that Gerrans glosses over a few salient points however (as you mentioned) I think he made a fair point about the amount of games some of the Marlins players had to play leading into the semi final against Townsville last weekend. I think Heuir ended up playing for the Taipans last Friday night because Scoochie was unavailable however I'm not sure why Weigh suited up as well.

You make good points about Weigh's and Kuany Kuany's inclusions into the Marlin's team midlate season. Loughton was only filling in for Weigh anyway - Weigh was signed at the beginning of the QBL season (along with Weeks) to be one of the Marlins restricted players and I think once he was fit he was always going to come back in.

Reply #644766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two games in two nights where the first is an exhibition the second a semi is selfish on Fearne's part. Cairns seem to be the only NBL team worried about losing these games - the rest had glorified invitational sides.

Reply #644778 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

both the exhibition games were at about half the pace of a training session. I don't think they would have lost much juice.

Wouldn't say the Taipans were trying to win either game, 3/4 of the salary cap wasn't playing and those that did racked up 25 minutes at most. Given that the Marlins' coach is the top assistant, I don't think anyone would have played more than they thought sustainable.

When you're effectively the feeder team for a national club, sometimes you get the soggy end of the cigar. Happens to the Pride, happened to the Heat when the Crocs were playing etc etc. I didn't see any fatigue on the Marlins during that semi either, plus Townsville are well coached team with a great roster.

Reply #644915 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754