Dominik
Years ago

coaching job at school or club

Hi,
I am European basketball coach from Poland. I work with youth players and seniors. I worked as an assistant coach on Polish Superleague Level last year. I graduated basketball school for coaches organized by Polish Federation few years ago. I have had some experience working with diffrent youth teams. I'm wondering if it is any opportunity to get coaching job in Australian youth team? What could You recommend me?
Dominik

Topic #41723 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Others will know more about this, but I wouldn't presume to get paid for this role, especially coming in cold without contacts.

It might be the leagues to look at are SEABL, Big V, QBL, SA Premier League, etc but I don't know that assistant coaches at those levels get paid all that much. You would need to be an exemplary talent or you'd be coaching a bit beside a day job.

Generally the head coach will be leaning on a club up-and-comer or rope in a friend to help them.

If you literally mean "the" Australian youth teams, then I can't see how that would be any chance - there are a lot of strong junior coaches taking those spots already.

Are there still youth leagues under the ABL level? Seemed to happen for a while in SA and then went quiet?

Reply #645154 | Report this post

Bigballer  
Years ago

Hi There, the coaching roles for junior clubs in most areas of australia will have been filled as the upcoming season approaches in 5 - 6 weeks.

You could get in touch with local basketball associations BasketballSA Basketball Victoria etc (dependent on where you are living) and if your coaching credibility is very high, approach NBL clubs to see if you can assist the development players in some way?

getting a foot in the door is the first step and usually requires it to be on a volunteer basis at first.

Reply #645159 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

You will also have to have a recognised Australian coaching qualification (not sure what, if any, reciprocity there is with overseas qualifications) and be able to satisfy a Working With Children check

Reply #645165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Dominik, unfortunately you'll have to work from the ground up unless you have contacts here or can bring some players with you that will get your foot in the door. Most clubs will look after their own or proven commodities locally. Would have to volunteer your time and build your resume up here.
Good luck with it.

Reply #645238 | Report this post

Dominik  
Years ago

I really appreciate for all replies. Thanks for your time and support. I was aware of all difficulties and obstacles connected with getting job in new enviorment. Maybe somebody will be interested, therefore in this place I would like to leave my Facebook profiles: Dominik Rodkiewicz & RAK Rzeszow , where there are some visual materials about my coaching methods and my basketball academy. Once again thanks a lot :). Best regards.

Reply #645253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Na zdrowie!

Reply #645274 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:19 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754