What if
Years ago

Adelaide basketball CEO

Hender Consulting is recruiting for a CEO for Adelaide 36ers and Adelaide Lightning

"Reporting directly to the Chairman, and working closely with a reconfigured Board, key responsibilities of this rare sports leadership role include :-

reinforcing the Club's on-court success via the development of a highly professional off-court organisation, achieving the highest standards of excellence in sport administration;
leveraging new technologies to drive innovative digital content and world-class game day experiences;
attracting and retaining major local and international commercial sponsors;
identifying synergies across both the Adelaide 36ers and Adelaide Lightning brands;
maintaining and enhancing relationships with a range of key stakeholders including the NBL, members, corporate sponsors and partners, government entities, peak bodies, community groups and entertainment promoters"

https://www.seek.com.au/job/34302353?type=standout&userqueryid=78861360bb0e6eeb2f138a49c8c2da18-9026977

Topic #41734 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whose job is this currently? Guy or Big Joe?

Reply #645505 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Guy is now Dome only

Reply #645508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guy's

Reply #645511 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

AFAIK Guy is the current CEO and Big Joe is the GM. Guy is moving up to become a director? He's staying that's for sure.

Reply #645521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Joe is not the GM, that title is very misleading. He's in charge of managing the team day to day and the game day activities.

That's all.

Reply #645530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Joe is basically the Ops manager?

Reply #645531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was told the official position of Big Joe was GM, regardless of what you say he does day to day.

Reply #645553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Joe was the GM of Basketball Operations and Guy the CEO of the Arena, 36ers & Lightning. If memory serves me rightly, his wife was GM of the Lightning in more recent times but it looks like the new owner wants his own CEO now.

Reply #645558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#553 "Joe Tertzakian (Big Joe)

GM of Venue Operations & Basketball"

He's a glorified Operations Manager. That's all. Don't be fooled by the GM title. Lots of businesses especially sports do it.

Reply #645573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I am constantly amazed about the extra stuff that a GM does like BIG JOE. Cooking for teams ffs. I certainly understand the enthusiasm but seriously you can't pay me enough for all the extra curricular hours he puts is. I would also imagine like most basketball jobs the salary isn't that great. However all the freebies would be the bonus.

Reply #645579 | Report this post

CUintheNT  
Years ago

Don't be fooled. I know Big Joe from way back. He posts more on social media than he does any work. When we worked together, he would buy himself gifts and post photos of them on Facebook and tell everybody somebody else had bought them for him. If he spent as much time actually working as he does trying to make people believe he works, he might get stuff done. The only reason he has a job in the NBL is because of Joey. I am so sick of people falling for his nonsense. 36ers ranked last in game day operations last season, which makes Big Joe the worst Ops guy in the league. The sixers would do well to get rid of him. They probably won't because of Joey. But what is Joey going to do if they fire him? Run out on a 5 year megabucks deal on principle?

Reply #645735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"36ers ranked last in game day operations last season"

How was this ranking measured? What are the complete results?

Reply #645736 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I have heard something about the NBL judging the teams on various facets so they can send in help to improve or call them in to rebuke. I know of one club staffer (not from Adelaide) who was essentially summoned to NBL head-office for a dressing down.

In the LK era (I think), but before Big Joe's time in Adelaide, I think there was a passage where the NBL sent in someone as oversight to try and push things in the right direction.

Reply #645737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. NT. Spot on. If there is a freebie going BJoe is all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake. Sorry. Joe has last 165kg? sine he was big Joe

Reply #645747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know of one club staffer (not from Adelaide) who was essentially summoned to NBL head-office for a dressing down.

Ooooo juicy. I wonder who at the Hawks it was :P

and Big Joe is linked to the hip with Joey, no Joey no job.

Reply #645753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe..
The type of bloke who asks for his own autograph.

Reply #645757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the present example is anything to go by, that meal he was cooking the team was actuall for himself.

Reply #645760 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Kelly is making a mistake allowing our best CEO to leave. Where is he going

Reply #646349 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Define best:

sponsors brought in

attendance

media presence

social media uplift

profesional look and feel to the organisation

These would be some of his KPI and would have very large question marks over them.

Reply #646377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Best CEO"? wow lol

Reply #646402 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Short bit of research, calling my mate who works there. Maybe the best is a bit much but
Sponsorship 80% increase in last two years
Social Media 11,000 Facebook Insta 0- 15,000
Membership 30% increase
Huge media uplift 55% more on TV and non sport media
New Lights, Cube, PA - not bad
China and now Singapore

Lets go with better than ok and he is going no where, he is promoted

Reply #646774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes but performance on team on court helped with Randle and Sobey etc.

Reply #646775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

of team

Reply #646776 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Absolutely, but you have to get the money to get those players and make the most of the situation

Reply #646777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to do with change of owners? LK putting money into the League, including his own money into the 36ers?

Nothing to do with the other staff? The on court success? The profile of a player like Randle?

All the CEO. Sure mate.

Reply #646780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah all of a sudden LK comes onto the scene and after TWENTY PLUS YEARS watching Sixers games on TV without adequate lighting in a dark Dome and finally it's fixed. THANK F&CK because it should've had proper lighting from the beginning. Just a pet peeve of mine watching NBL for 30yrs. Now let's move along...

Reply #646793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes #646780 it's pretty obvious with the timing but most don't seem to get it. Guy... lol ok.

Reply #646794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers 'fans'... eating their own. Fantastic.

Reply #646799 | Report this post

Hogwash 64  
Years ago

Big Joe is a joke, he did nothing in Darwin As the Exec Officer of the DBA
but ran his Operations Manager to the ground like a lackie
and the took Ops Manager Reece to the Adelaide 36rs to do his running
around and without his boy Joey, Big Joe wouldn't have a job
he is full of BS and certainly not worthy of any jobs only
sending messages on FB big noting himself. I also found out he is a
racist pig and makes jokes of his friend Joey calling him dumber than dumber
sadly what kind of friend would do that?

Reply #681441 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Did Easter Bunny forget your Eggs Hogwash?

Reply #681442 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Wow. All you hear about is how crap everone (on and off the court) is at the 36ers. They must win bugger all games and have no fans...

Reply #681450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Hogwash. Yet another vindictive person here. How about substantiate your innuendo.
BTW a positive article on Big Joe here.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/adelaide-36ers-general-manager-joe-tertzakian-reflects-ahead-of-game-five-of-the-nbl-grand-final/news-story/d77cbe6a1755a8227e2c85fe28089f8c

Feel free to post to press article Hogwash. Someone should wash your hog mouth out.

Reply #681451 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Not happy with this Hogwash 64.
Definitely not me.

Reply #681455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Report them Hogwash. If it's not you.

Reply #681476 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:50 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754