Isaac
Years ago

Wildcats-36ers Margaret River pre-season game

Daniel Johnson led Adelaide's scoring with 14 points and also dished four assists.

Adelaide started well but Perth finished well, its 20-13 final quarter sealing the result.

Ahead 71-70, baskets by Matt Knight and Brandt punched the Wildcats' lead back out to 75-70 and after Creek pulled back one point from the stripe, Jarrod Kenny hit a super-tough jumpshot to put it out of reach.
PERTH WILDCATS 81 (Wagstaff 17, Brandt 15, Kenny 12; Brandt 9 rebs; Kenny, Brandt 5 assts) d ADELAIDE 36ERS 73 (Johnson 14, Drmic 13, Creek 11; Sobey, Creek 6 rebs; Johnson, Creek 4 assts) at Margaret River.
More info at Boti's site

Box score

Anyone get to the game?

Topic #41741 | Report this topic

B.O  
Years ago

Cooke Jr and Cotton didn't play.

Cotton needs to pass a medical (didn't have time prior to the road trip).

Cooke Jnr is a strange one. he warmed up before the Bunbury game and posted on IG that he was ready to play. Then got scratched at the last minute.

Some people have said it's paperwork issues. Others have said it's disciplinary. Some say it's because the Wildcats didn't want to show all their cards.

Interestingly Cooke Jr is also friends with JP Tokoto.

Reply #645630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Some people have said it's paperwork issues. Others have said it's disciplinary. Some say it's because the Wildcats didn't want to show all their cards."

Why does every issue that the Wildcats encounter have to turn in to a conspiracy theory?

Reply #645631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I went to the game, good comeback by the wildcats after being beaten in the first half. Deng was injured in the second quarter and Roberts got into foul trouble eventually fouling out which left the Adelaide front court under a bit of pressure and resorting to playing a small ball style. Sobey looked good but the umpiring was rather poor and inconsistent leading to him getting super angry and pulled by Joey which I thought was a good coaching move.

Reply #645633 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

It's not a conspiracy. It's just something unknown that people are wondering why.

Reply #645636 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

"Perth Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson doesn't know when imports Bryce Cotton and Derek Cooke will play after they were forced to watch from the sidelines during last night’s 99-91 loss to Adelaide in Bunbury.
Gleeson had been hoping the pair would play but Cotton didn’t receive medical clearance after only arriving in Australia on Wednesday.
Cooke has been in the country since early August but his clearance to play in the NBL is yet to be processed.
The team’s other import, Devondrick Walker, has been ruled out for most of the season with a fractured left foot, which left the team undermanned last night.
But Gleeson was looking at the positives from the first match of their campaign.
"Bryce isn’t ready and Derek is waiting for clearance. We’re a little bit hamstrung but hopeful they can play soon," Gleeson said.
“We’d like them all out there but we’ve got to wait until we tick all the boxes."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/wildcats-imports-bryce-cotton-derek-cooke-on-pine-for-time-being-ng-b88587222z

Reply #645637 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

And there's your conspiracy answered.

Medical Clearance.

Reply #645640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where did disciplinary action come from? Someone trying to invent a conspiracy!

Reply #645642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from that guy who stinks named B.O.

Reply #645643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti wrote:

PS
His name is Ronald Roberts. Is this going to happen all season...? "#3 ROLAND ROBERTS"

It is. I keep thinking of him as Roland too, haha. Seems like no one can forget that dunk contest injury ;)

Reply #645647 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Adelaide being underrated again this year?

$10 with the bookies.

Randle obviously huge out.

BUT
- Wait and see on imports. Moore I think will be a good fit at the 36ers.

- Good age profile. Most NBL teams have 3 or 4 guys on the wrong side of 30. 36ers are younger. A bit of improvement among the group can make a lot of difference in a tight comp.

- Wright consistently gets results.

Reply #645652 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

Adelaide may have the best Aussie core in the league.

Reply #645654 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well they've swapped their imports.

Shorter in for Randle at point.

Moore for Ferguson on the wing.

Roberts for Jacobsen inside.

You just never know how the imports will go. But looking at the team overall, their returning players are mostly 24-27 years old. Entering their theoretical primes. If there is a small improvement amongst the likes of Creek, Deng, Hodgson etc and a small comparative decrease in a team like the Wildcats - who have 6 or 7 players aged 30+ - then it can add up to make the difference.

Reply #645658 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And I'm really interested to see how Ramone Moore goes this season.

He lived in Goulding's shadow a little bit last season, showing glimpses here and there.

Moore plays a free flowing game, he'll like the freedom of Wright's system. There might be an opportunity for him here, since someone needs to pick up some scoring slack with Randle 's departure. I hope Wright gives him some time at the 1, and/or some time at the 3.

Reply #645663 | Report this post

ash  
Years ago

I'm really interested in seeing if Moore wears that shirt for all games or is it just a pre-season thing

Reply #645670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What shirt?

Reply #645674 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

He's been wearing a tshirt under his jersey for games. Like players in college do.

Reply #645677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

like Wortho

Reply #645678 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Drmic looked awesome in game 1.

Reply #645682 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, you'd think that at least the local components of the 36ers should only have stepped up on last year. Drmic should hopefully have the confidence he lacked with his shooting to start last season. Someone liked Hodgson doesn't have huge demands on him, so anything outside of defending is a bonus.

Sounds like Moore and Roberts won't rock the boat, which is half of the battle with players coming in fresh to a league.

A lot hangs on Shorter though who is a bit of an unknown.

They should at least be in the mix I think.

Reply #645687 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At 36ers website somebody put this game on it from youtube
May be of interest , may be not..
Hard to watch all of it if you are not a big perth fan
intereting to see alittle bitta of moore and roberts..

Reply #645695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A medical clearance for why?

Reply #645701 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Cotton needs a medical clearance because he was unconscious in his last game

Reply #645702 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

zing

Reply #645703 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'd assume it's routine for everyone.

Reply #645704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HIV/AIDS, SARS, Ebola, Cholera.

Reply #645708 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

Continuing on from what LV said...

Odds to make top 4:
Melb 1.20
Perth 1.25
Sydney 1.5
Illawarra 1.6
NZ 2.5
Brisbane 3
Cairns 3.5
Adelaide 4

Adelaide ranked last and at $4 just to make the top 4 is interesting. Imports are a bit of an unknown still but like others have said they have a strong Aussie core that should be entering their prime. Bookies seem to think Randle is a huge loss (which he is) but their 3 imports collectively could be an upgrade over last years 3.

Personally think they have a top 4 list and would have them pencilled in to finish around 3rd-4th atm.

Reply #645714 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Spot on B, I totally agree

Adelaides 3 imports in total this year should be better than last years 3 imports

Same young aussie core who should improve

Great coach

Im tipping 3rd or 4th aswell

My top 4 being Hawks, Perth, Melbourne, Adelaide

Sydney way too high on the bookies list for me, got a great guard/sf combination and 2 or 3 MVP level guys in Lisch, Newley and maybe Leslie, but i think their PF/C rotation is the worst in the league unless Humphries is the best rookie bigman/19 year old to play NBL in over a decade

Reply #645722 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:23 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754