I told you.

Topic #41748 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

Beat me to it lol

Reply #645772 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

How does this signing rate? His 3pt % looks pretty average.

Reply #645774 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

NBL 2018 has the most diverse surname lineup I've ever seen.

Reply #645777 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

He's not a fantastic 3 point shooter. Arguably, neither was Prather.

He has the ability to knock it down though. He will just need to make the shots when needed as Cotton will carry that 3 point load with Steindl.

He brings more length and athleticism to the cats

Reply #645778 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Are they likely to keep Steindl? They would need to drop either DKD or Lucas Walker.

Reply #645779 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

I like Steindl's chances now that Walker is out.

If Walker was here DKD and L.Walker would be safer.

Reply #645780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl would be a better bench scoring option than Hire... DKD was very aggressive on the weekend and looks to have taken his game to the next step.

Reply #645781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Posted this in the other thread.

Should be a decent signing and will add supporting scoring alongside Cotton. Without Cotton I think the cats would be in BIG trouble, but he is a blue chipper.

Tokoto isn't all that creative off the bounce unless its an open lane then boy is he athletic. Might struggle with the lack of spacing the Cats provide.

Reply #645784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ all the people saying they knew and told you bla bla bla, well der his mum started following Wildcats on social media, everyone knew after that.

Reply #645788 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

Called it two years ago anon. And then in July again straight after Walker got injured.

Reply #645792 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

So was there anything exceptional about him, or was it just that people said that the Wildcats would sign him?

Reply #645793 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jp-tokoto

Scouting report from two years ago, quite worried about his shooting.

If Cotton goes down, not sure who else we can rely upon like we used to with Prather.

Reply #645795 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

Well he has elite athleticism and comes from one of the all-time great college programs...

But yeah, I'd be shocked if we didn't keep Steindl now.

Reply #645796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stiendl is a must.

Reply #645799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he's a quality defender?

Reply #645801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no medal for calling Tokoto signing.
Keep Steindl and flick off L.Walker or DKD

Reply #645802 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

Gifted perimeter defender

Reply #645803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am curious how much athleticism and the 'wow' factor for the crowd weighs in on a Wildcats import choice. Not knocking this signing in any way. Just curious

Reply #645804 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

I think over the years they've found that it puts bums in seats.

I don't think they'd do a Sydney and get a player that's all flash and no substance.

But they go for the athletic players these days a lot.

Reply #645805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have preferred a basketballer to an athlete but it sounds like the good basketballers keep turning down our offers

Reply #645807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It can be both.

Reply #645808 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

His numbers compare slightly favourably to Prather's from his d league stint. More steals per game and a marginally better 3pt shooter. Looks like the cats sacrificed some offence but gained some defence.

Reply #645810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It can be both.

- Yes it can like Prather but this guy looks very average skills wise

Reply #645813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one was singing Prather's praises when he arrived. He developed his game nicely. in the past two years.

Reply #645814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tokoto played 12 minutes for 2ppg avergae in the D League finals, I struggle to see how it is a good signing. Needing a secondary scorer behind Cotton they get a defender with athleticism...

Reply #645815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did he only play limited minutes in the playoffs after being a major player in the season?

Reply #645817 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

No one was singing Prather's praises when he arrived. He developed his game nicely. in the past two years.

I was just thinking of that myself... It seems to be Perth import tradition... Be complained about, threatened to be dumped, then come good, win championship, potentially Finals MVP then everyone's favourite...

Sounds like you can lock the championship up again, Perth Fans :)

Reply #645819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12ppg for the season in d league is no joke

Reply #645820 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

People read too much into numbers some times.

Watch film. It gives a more accurate depiction of a players potential.

The off-court stuff works in his favour too. Very mature, family orientated etc.

Prather wasn't amazing from 3pt land. He was the athletic penetrating finisher we needed after DeAndre Daniels didn't work out.

Reply #645821 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

All the NBL haters who say good dunks never happen in the league will be eating their words this season.

Reply #645823 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

What I find odd is that the Wildcats made a big point about Devondrick being a great shooter and how he will help space the floor for others (Cotton) to operate, and how integral he has become to their game, yet they bring in someone with less shooting credentials.

Anyone else think this is odd?

Its like last season, they felt they needed more from the 2 position and decided to let Johnson go and bring in single skillset Ingram.

Reply #645828 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

What I find odd is that the Wildcats made a big point about Devondrick being a great shooter and how he will help space the floor for others (Cotton) to operate, and how integral he has become to their game, yet they bring in someone with less shooting credentials.

We didn't have access to Steindl when we signed Devondrick...

Reply #645831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Film (highlight reels you've watched on youtube) mean nothing! I could make a video of the C grade social comp to make it look good.

Reply #645832 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

Good insight into him in this 2017 article:

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/article_0caca1b0-14fc-11e7-92b1-47b802aa5d6c.html

Reply #645836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Brase said Tokoto thrives when asked to shut down the opposing point guard."

Him and Damo in the backcourt are going to be fun to watch!

Reply #645838 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"We didn't have access to Steindl when we signed Devondrick"

Would having mere 'access' to Steindl make such a difference?

There is a big jump from having access to actually signing him.

Firstly someone needs to get booted, who?

Secondly, would Steindl accept less money? Or is there even any money to pay Steindl? Hard to imagine he would accept DKD or Waxy money.

Reply #645841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nothing worse than getting paid waxy money. gross.

Reply #645853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much do people think DKD or Waxy are on?

Reply #645854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

leungtl - thanks for the link good read.

Wildcats would have sold him on the opportunity to get shots up and prove himself as an offensive threat.

Mechanically, his shot looks better than Prathers

Reply #645856 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Most of Tokoto's hype comes from a combination of his athleticism and the school he attended IMO, and he's basically been an underperformer since HS, so we'll see... Could end up being another Prather, but I'm not as excited about him as some of the other new imports this year.

Reply #645869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

B.O Ive listened to you go on and on about this all day but you've gone a bit far. You didn't call it 2 years ago, my source within the wildcats told me they were interested during the summer league and I posted it on hoops and twitter, you then ran with it. Sorry to burst your bubble but don't try to claim your "eye for talent" when others gave you the tip lol.

Reply #645871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ lol another one of the "i knew about it first!111" brigade. Saw someone on twitter be smug about it too. Get over yourselves - all of you.

Reply #645880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was trying to get some recognition I wouldn't be posting anonymously would I....dumbass

Reply #645884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So? Irrespective of name you're still going on about knowing it first... big deal.

Reply #645885 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

People getting their feelings hurt over fun times and cool aid.

If you throw enough crap against a wall, something's gonna stick.

My crap stuck.. I'm claiming it, running with it. Hate all you want.

Just like Lavar we spoke this into existence.

Stay in yo damn lane anons haha

Reply #645886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

B.O, please tell me you aren't the muppet that has been carrying on all day on twitter?

Reply #645888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks underwhelming to me. Could be another Jaron Johnson.

Reply #645889 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

I don't think Jaron Johnson would have been a flop as a 3 man in fact i think he would have done really quiet well, he was never a two guard, ever.

From all the sources that have reported the signing it seems clear the wildcats preferred targets had more shooting, yet weren't interested in the offer. At this point you take the best available player, possibly a better defender than Prather and a guy that if nothing else can slash like a mad man on offence. His mechanics don't look broken and his highlights do show some nice footwork (although not the most natural) and touch from midrange.

It is clear the guy is putting in work on his offensive game, time will tell.

Little side note we forget last year was the first year devondrick Walker shot at such a high clip from three, there was potential for that to return closer to the mean.

Reply #645891 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

To be honest I'm more interested in what the cats decide to do with Steindl.

That is the tougher decision. He's a more developed than DKD and has the shooting prowess the cats need and Gleeson loves now that Walker is out.

Steindl played big minutes in the two pre-season games and was a focal point of offence. He also delivered. So how can the cats realistically fit him in?

Reply #645899 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If any team would axe a guy for Steindl, it's the Cats. I expect it to happen.

Reply #645901 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably a sign that they had Steindl's name on his singlet? Other teams barely manage to get their actual new players' names on singlets in the pre-season.

If his partner is playing locally, then he's likely to be easier to negotiate with. Otherwise, having to poach him from afar (from Cairns, say) would be more expensive. The different could easily be $20k+, at a guess.

Reply #645903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl is here for his GF though who is playing with the lynx. Lynx season finishes in January... so maybe they will move on then

Reply #645909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If any team would axe a guy for Steindl, it's the Cats. I expect it to happen."

You say that like its a bad thing.

Reply #645910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BO did you even watch the preseason games? DKD actually had more shots than Steindl, brought the ball up and ran some plays and was aggressive on the reg. How bout you stay in yo lane?

Reply #645911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the white aussie dweeb posting like a gansta. That's tough.

Reply #645912 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see the spin they put on axing Waxy for Steindl, especially after signing Waxy early on and making a deal of him doing all the work last season when he wasn't a full roster player and he earned his spot this season...

Not saying that it's the wrong decision, but always enjoy a cold-hearted Perth axing :)

Reply #645914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love a bit of racism and bad spelling. Clearly a quality person behind that post.

Reply #645915 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

Was at the pre-season games in person.

DKD clearly had the green light to impress, but Steindl was much more polished and impressive.

I'm a fan of DKD, but in a cut throat world you would take Steindl.

I stayed in my lane, for that whole new 26km stretch of Forrest Highway with the average speed-limit cameras. Didn't even realise they weren't officially on until today though.

Reply #645917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What?!!? Only today... argh!

Reply #645921 | Report this post

GM8  
Years ago

B.O steindl wasn't the focal point on offense, I was at both the games, he is a role player used purely as a catch and shoot man. I've always been a big fan of Steindl but DKD was far more of a "focal point" on offense, he used his pace to push the ball in transition, showed he is capable at getting to the rim and finishing or even making plays from the paint. He showed a lot more than I was expecting, he even showed his ability to defend by reading passing lanes and putting pressure on the ball carriers.

Reply #645924 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

^I agree with you on DKD being the focal point and everything he showed. His upside is there.

What I'm trying to say is Steindl played his role very well. Looked comfortable and contributed right away. And was doing all the things DKD would usually do in the cats system.

Which is why I'd take Steindl over DKD. For that improved immediate impact - if that makes sense.

Reply #645927 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ anon 645910;

Yeah, I do say it like it's a bad thing... or at least, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, I completely get why Perth would do it - I rate Steindl and think he should've easily found a home post-TSV in the NBL - I just think it's another example of Perth's "wins over all else" motto, which I'm sure is 100% fine for most Wildcats fans.

Reply #645929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't make sense seeing as you said Steindl was a focal point a few posts earlier.

Reply #645930 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

No ones perfect. Except Anons. They are exceptional.

Reply #645935 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Its a tough decision between DKD and Waxy.

Steindl is more advanced and experienced than DKD, but DKD is developing nicely and showed glimpses of what he is capable of. He's got a nice catch and shoot which the Wildcats took advantage of last season. DVD doesn't seem to force it either so he's got a good head on his shoulders.

Waxy is probably the more expendable skills wise, that would be an easy choice. However, he won the Coach's award last season and seems to be a good locker room team mate. Then there is the Matt Knight issue, he will be injured again and Waxy could cover in spurts (he is not a natural 4 but can offer rebounding and effort).

Not sure what the Wildcats fans prefer though.

Reply #645967 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

Interesting tidbit from the Wildcats news article:

"Tokoto's signing comes a fortnight after Walker fractured his foot and was placed on a long-term injury waiver."

Sounds like Tokoto will be here until Walker is ready to return, if he recovers in time.

Reply #645968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I just think it's another example of Perth's "wins over all else" motto"

Its not like they are an entirely ruthless club with no community focus and a massive player turnover each year. In fact, quite the opposite. They just happen to make the tough call from time to time in order to remain successful.

"which I'm sure is 100% fine for most Wildcats fans."

Are you taking to take a high road here because your club doesn't win?

Reply #645970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd personally cut Waxy over DKD. While DKD isn't exactly super young (26 in a couple of months), the Wildcats need to hang onto what little 'youth' they have with such an ageing roster (Steindl is also around 5 years younger than Waxy).

Would be a tough call to make given all the work Waxy put in, but at the end of the day its a business.

Reply #645977 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"I just think it's another example of Perth's "wins over all else" motto"

You make it sound like the Wildcats are sacrificing young virgins at the alter to win favour with the Hoops Gods.

When you say 'above all else', what is the very worst they have done? They cut Mathaing Muo after his rehab year to bring in Ernest Ross, but paid him out in full for the next 2 seasons.

They cut Jaron Johnson twice, as embarassing as that was, is it really an 'above all else' move especially given his substance positive result?

On the flip side is there any 'high ground' for sticking with your squad no matter what?

Hey the Wildcats won the championship but stuff having the banner, the Sixers win Best Friendliest team of 2015/16 for sticking with Ebi Ere.

Hey the Wildcats won the championship but stuff having the banner, the Sixers win Best Friendliest team of 2016/17 for sticking with Terrance Ferguson.

Reply #645980 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Best Friendliest Team - LoveBroker, some of your best work. ;)

Reply #645981 | Report this post

GM8  
Years ago

"Sounds like Tokoto will be here until Walker is ready to return, if he recovers in time."

If Walker is healthy mid season and Tokoto is a flop, ofcourse they will release Tokoto and inject walker back into the side bearing in mind Walker will need to be available in time to allow him to play the minimum number of games prior to finals (unlikely). But if Tokoto performs and the cats are rolling there's no way they would risk bringing Walker back even if he can meet the finals requirements.

IMHO though I don't think JP is going to be a standout performer on the offensive end and this is what the cats need, so unless he improves on that end of the floor whilst defending to the standard we know he's capable of, I think we will see Walker back in the lineup if he has a faster than anticipated recovery.

Reply #645982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Wildcats will be paying four imports - Cotton, Walker, Cooke and Tokoto? Surely above the cap?

Reply #645983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The import on injury waivers does not count towards their cap or number of imports (while he has been deactivated).

Reply #645984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What cap? There has been no evidence of a cap or equalization for the league!

Reply #645986 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yeah players aren't included in the salary cap when they're placed on injury waivers but just unlike the Wildcats few teams can afford to keep a fourth import hanging around as obviously they would still be paying him.

It's a bit crazy but he's said to be a good friend of Cotton's so he might've demanded it.

Reply #645990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Wildcats fans used to get frustrated with the points Johnson put on the board I am dreading what they are going to do to this guy!

Reply #645991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't the scoring from Johnson, it was the deer in the headlights moments, and his wild inconsistency from one game to the next.

Reply #645992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't see how even the Wildcats can afford to keep him with possibly no chance of playing or JP being the goods. I don't get it, apart from having to appease Cotton and now it has bitten them on the foot with the injury. Whoops!

Reply #645994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats a pretty bad troll.

Reply #645995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't recally any NBL keeping an import around who got injured so early in the preseason with NO track record in the league prior. Odd situation there.

Reply #645997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any NBL team*

Reply #645998 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"but just unlike the Wildcats few teams can afford to keep a fourth import hanging around as obviously they would still be paying him."

Wouldn't Walker be paid from his own professional insurance?

Reply #645999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tokoto would likely be aware that he is only filling in if D.Walker is back in time to qualify for finals.
If L.Walker got chopped for Steindl you would keep him in Perth as Matt Knight injury insurance

Reply #646000 | Report this post

GM8  
Years ago

Exactly Lovebroker, Insurance will cover him while injured.

Reply #646022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry B.O....

https://twitter.com/liam_santa/status/905276184451272704

Reply #646027 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

Why you apologising for?

Reply #646029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many insurance experts on here. Source for assumption?

Reply #646031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So I am a Duke fan and was therefore not disappointed by Tokoto's mediocrity at Carolina. But I think the NBL and particularly the Wildcats will suit him. I think he'll be more comfortable with the physicality of the league than are a lot of imports, and playing alongside Cotton means he doesn't carry the creative burden of a first offensive option. I don't think he'll score a ton of points, but would be surprised if he's not a valuable starter.

Reply #646037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is someone seriously suggesting an injured players salary counts towards the salary cap while they are injured?

Reply #646038 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"So many insurance experts on here. Source for assumption?"

You don't have to be an insurance expert to know that most players would have injury insurance. Injuries are a fact of life in this sport and having that continuance of income becomes important.

Do I know JP Tokoto has insurance? No not 100%. Do the Wildcats have to pay for a player that is not on their roster? No they don't.

Reply #646096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The playoff streak will continue

Reply #646097 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Where's Dazz when we need him. He would have the facts I'm sure of it ;)

Reply #646102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Insurance is club not player based I believe?

Reply #646112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... in terms of salary coverage

Reply #646114 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:56 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754