Anonymous
Years ago

2017–18 Melbourne United jerseys

Melbourne United 2017-18 season jerseys have been launched.

Home dark, away white... but then the plot thickens.

I am creating this topic mainly for the third/alternate jersey though. Check it out below. Thoughts?

http://mailchi.mp/melbourneutd/2017-18-home-jersey-now-available-for-pre-order

Topic #41750 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yo mama so ugly she looks like the Melbourne United alternate jersey!

Reply #645833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back and colour are good. Script is awful.

Reply #645834 | Report this post

Henry Snow  
Years ago

They had the silver last season too

Reply #645840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the double bag to-do-list:

1.) Yo mama
2.) Dat alternate jersey

Reply #645842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grey!

Seriously grey! It looks horrible, produces massive sweat patches and did i mention looks horrible.

That script font is also really bad.

What will the referees wear when United play? Maybe last years Hawks polos since Hawks are wearing grey polos this year

https://shopdesq.sportstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product&ProductID=57440&OrgID=25107

Reply #645847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refs will also be wearing United uniforms this season...

Reply #645848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grey alternate is horrible... this is seriously the best they could come up with? Such a step back on all of last season's jerseys.

Still enough room to slap on 14 logos to hopefully drown out that awful script.

Reply #645851 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't mind the grey, but that script is not great. If you want an eyesore in grey, look for the Spurs camo uniforms.

Reply #645855 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

I think the Mitchell and Ness jerseys are officially a failure. League wide.

Reply #645858 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Teams are still designing their own jerseys, just as they did under ISC. Mitchell & Ness has nothing to do with it.

Reply #645860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams are not designing their own uniforms.
If they were, why do they all look so similar?

Reply #645861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can confirm that it is neither the Mitchell and Mess or the teams that deisgn the jersey.

The NBL appoints a designer to design all unfiforms... Whilst team's do get a say of ideas/concepts etc it is the deisgner is responsible for it. And for what it's worth it is the same designers as the ISC jerseys

Reply #645872 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The only way that comment makes sense is if you've just woken up from a five-year coma and haven't seen any of the designs that were used while you were out.

Reply #645873 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

My above post is a reply to #861.

Reply #645874 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The NBL appoints a designer to design all unfiforms... Whilst team's do get a say of ideas/concepts etc it is the deisgner is responsible for it.
How much of a say is 'a say'? I would expect it to be more along the lines of teams submitting designs for approval, rather than actual serious design work going on - or perhaps it varies from team to team how involved they are.

Reply #645875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am pretty sure that teams ask for core elements they want In the jersey.. eg last year Melbourne wanted the M and the city on the back of the uniform, Adelaide with that map deisgn on white jersey etc.

I think the NBL has had some say this year on what they want in the uniforms. Only seen a few but they all seem the have that same ringed design on the collar and arm holes.

Reply #645877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully no more V neck jerseys in NBL. You know, the ones that overlap at the bottom... argh! Stick with the wide "u" shape.

Reply #645882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks anon #645872 for the info re: design process and who does what. Everyone else on here is just assuming what they think happens to be right. Stop it!

Reply #645883 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, because anons on here are historically such reliable sources.

Reply #645890 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Whoever is designing them they are really boring. I feel like most people like the classic very busy uniforms. Maybe thats just me.

Give me that old school wildcat on the jersey every day of the week, Even in the NBA give me a raptor on a carter jersey over the word Raptors and nothing else.

Reply #645892 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Oh sweet christmas... So before I even get to the horrendous grey alternate... They managed to make the standard design even MORE plain by just removing the semi-transparent M? Could that be anymore boring?!

As for the alternate... jesus... what is it with teams and using that awful script? Frist it was the WIldcats, then it was the Kings, now, even though slightly different, the Unitards...

It would make sense that there is a central designer, only because they've been consistently shit... "save copy as", swap colours, save... Someone needs to lose a job over this rubbish... I can't imagine that LK would be happy with this unprofessional look?

Reply #645898 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, because anons on here are historically such reliable sources.
If you can pick the right ones, I'd say they're worth paying attention to.

Script can work for Perth and Sydney, but need the right font and right placement/surrounds/supporting material.

If the NBL are indeed controlling the design process for uniforms, I think that's a reasonable decision. I wouldn't leave it in the hands of the supplier or necessarily all clubs.

Reply #645905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac the spurs army uniform isn't grey? its camo. Its also supports the armed forces because Popovich, Owner Peter Holt and Robinson all served and is clearly very close to them

Reply #645906 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I usually prefer simple, but the United jerseys continue to look like someone went into Rebel and picked up 10 no-branded basketball jerseys and ironed some numbers on.

Reply #645907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a former graphic designer having worked within design houses, I find it highly unlikely the design teams have the final say whether theyre in-house or external designers. They'd be taking a design brief from the club, pitch a few concepts to the club and refine from there. Not sure if the final designs are approved by the NBL (I'm sure they'd have some input), but ultimately it'd be up to the club.

Reply #645923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thankfully heritage round has been extended to a full month this season.

Reply #645925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

645872 isn't correct.

Teams provide the concept, and dependent on the in-house talent a complete mockup with logos and fonts applied.

This year though all teams look to be using the same template. The uniqueness of each team comes from their colour, fonts and sponsor bumper stickers. Much like the days of AND1.

Often the 'Office HIPPO' will make a design decision that ruins the look.

Reply #645941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol @ office hippo

Reply #645943 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I thought when Melbourne became "united" in name they were trying to unite the City / state behind the state colours of navy and white. Their logo indicates those colours but their uniform is so dark they appear to be in black and white. Like most NBA uniforms the design is quite simple, but I also don't get the need for a grey option other than as a sales option.

Reply #645945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Swish

Not sure if you're from Melbourne, but definitely for sales. They have a new range of merch available in what seems to be every week at home games.

Reply #646009 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah those uniforms are awful. The regular ones are boring and the grey one is ugly as.

Nbl teams seem to have trouble year after year puttin out decent uniforms, so at least united are far from alone here.

Reply #646033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah everything has improved under the LK era except uniforms. All the people behind these pathetic designs should be summoned to LK and ripped apart.

Reply #646036 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

The thing I hate more than the design is how wide the shoulders are and how baggy the arm holes are. A tight fit across the shoulder looks much better.

Reply #646042 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I just wish the league as a whole could get over the idea that they need to redesign their uniforms every season.

Most of them do, because they suck, but that's not the reason it happens.

Especially in the NBL, where imports would be high-selling and there's a lot of import turnover, so you'd get decent annual sales based on the name on the back.

Reply #646051 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I completely agree koberulz. Every year a new jersey design. Theres no room for building up a traditional brand anymore. Only the colours usually stay the same however its only an issue when its a backward step from the previous design.

Wildcats new jersey looks a lot better than last years, though whos to say what next years will be like. Id be happy if clubs kept their same look for at least 3 or 4 seasons just for some consistency

Reply #646060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.hawks.com.au/news/article/35196-201718-illawarra-hawks-uniforms

Reply #646072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha is that another grey alternate jersey?

Also we are in 2017. Stop putting sponsors block logos on with a different background colour than the primary colour of the jersey. SERIOUSLY!

The grey and red jerseys with a white MCR block look atrocious. It's not that hard.... JESUS CHRIST.

Reply #646085 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Yeah everything has improved under the LK era except uniforms"

While I dont agree that everything has improved (no shocks there), there is certainly a strong appearance of things looking better with more money being spent. And a case can certainly be made that the appearance of success is vital to developing long term sustainability and actual success. Which is what makes the amateurish uniforms even more perplexing

Reply #646105 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

From the Illawarra article:

The 2017/18 season will see all NBL clubs strip back their playing uniforms to one predominate colour featuring their city or club name across the chest.
So it looks like the NBL's putting some rules in after the Perth/Illawarra debacle from last season.

Reply #646119 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Agree that it's good to get some oversight in to make sure there aren't huge clashes, but not to the point that they all look the same but with different colours and names on it...

Changing every season is stupid for sure, but most teams have needed to do that as they consistently design really crap styles... They need to lock in on a solid design and keep it for multiple seasons, like Cairns have...

Reply #646179 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Having seen a few uniforms now, I agree with many, that they seem to have gone back to a generic design. No "personality" or "uniqueness" with any design. Seems very strange after the other improvments in presentation in recent seasons.

Reply #646221 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:52 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754