Curious George
Years ago

NBL.com.au gets an update

New NBL.com.au website is up and ruuning.

Topic #41751 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Timing out for me. Overwhelmed with demand or bad caching? This happened when they last relaunched it too.

Reply #645913 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

buh bow... another fail for the NBL web-dev team...

Am curious to see (when it actually starts working) what improvements were made, as the list of needed ones was LONG...

Reply #645916 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Takes a while to load, but works. Looks good too - a noticeable improvement IMO.

Reply #645919 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I like it, easier to read than in a black theme.

Reply #645926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every game is listed with both a Fox Sports and SBS logo next to it. So they have either done a deal for every game on SBS (which would be pretty great!) or it is a new website glitch and it will be the 2 games per round as previously reported.

Reply #645928 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Had another look and have to say, without getting into the guts of it, it loads quickly, looks trim, even looks good on mobile... Overall a big improvement on the last dogs breakfast...

Reply #645931 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Definite improvement

Reply #645933 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

So no longer with fox sports pulse or sportstg or whatever they call themselves?

Reply #645934 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I like the switch from a carousel to showing 3 hero stories straight up. That's better for sure. I liked the previous stats pane that included leaderboards for a variety of things - that was really visual and a place to push more names and faces - surprised they didn't repurpose that within this design.

Reply #645938 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Rosters are from last season

Reply #645946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another crappy version in a long line of crappy NBL sites. When will they ever have a decent page? :/

Reply #645948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

website wont load on IE

Reply #645962 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

First thing I saw: Top left corner, Adelaide v Melbourne Round 1, Oct 5th, 7:00pm AEDT.

It conflicts with the schedule on the Sixers website, which says 7:30pm AEDT.

I certainly hope that the NBL website time is wrong! It's hard enough for many people who work to get to a 7pm game on a week night, let alone a 6:30pm one!

Reply #645969 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

lots of elements to load, but I think it's pretty good - much better than nba.com.au!

Reply #645972 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I love that they're trying to do something new

Reply #645978 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Beantown: I think it could just be some inconsistency with data input... Could have copied from somewhere which was local time but set it as AEDT which would then change it to a different local time...

Reply #645979 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Had a look at a page took forever to load so gave up.

Reply #645987 | Report this post

Pro Web Marketer  
Years ago

Whoever designed the downgrade over an already pitiful site should never again be allowed to be paid for web design.

It has to be the least mobile friendly professional sports site I've ever laid my eyes on.

The second doomsday hit is how long it takes to load on any device and connection (NBN, 5G, etc.)

Putrid.

Reply #645989 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/94nnQ/www.nbl.com.au

Faster than 23% of tested sites. 6.5s load time. 73 performance grade.

Reply #645993 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks Wookie, that's what I'm hoping!

Reply #646003 | Report this post

Sean  
Years ago

Will the games still be shown on NBL TV...?

Reply #646004 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

@Sean considering the amount of NBLTV logos on the page, let's assume so haha

Reply #646006 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

It has every game in the schedule as not only being shown on Fox Sports but also SBS... hmmmm....

Reply #646191 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Some image compression would help ... for example "kings cash in on combine" - 1.4MB!

Reply #646202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another version of the NBL website, another failure.

Reply #646203 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Can't access any Blitz live stats from the mobile site

Reply #646205 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The computer/laptop version is a significant improvement.

I do wonder if they've gone away from their previous provider who put up some pretty average resources in spite of their 'resources'.

It is admittedly more simplistic and designed as a blog but at this point getting the basics right is the first step. Visually, it's relatively slick I am much happier than with previous versions. The 3 prime news spots is far nicer than the slider and the right half of the page wasted.

Speed wise, they need to optimise - it's a little slow.

Stats information & club detail is a significant improvement - I can see a real emphasis on this, it's great. Like Isaac, I also felt their stats part on the front page was well done and could have been replicated on the front page of the new iteration.

NBL still needs to work on getting the little details right, or wait until the details are ironed out prior to publishing to public: for instance the links at the bottom of the page are dead, the TV logos/broadcast information was wrong etc.

Reply #646213 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, not sure what you're looking at it on, Pro Web dude, but it loaded really easily on my mobile device... Maybe you were responsible for the previous one, as THAT was the worst site that I've ever seen and was worse than useless on desktop and ever worse (if you can imagine) on a mobile...

Lots of work and I agree that things should have been tested before going live, but this is (probably sadly) a huge improvement on the previous one and a good base to improve on, I just hope they do and not just sit back and think "Job done!"

Reply #646226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Pro Web dude"

We've found a nickname for isaac! :P

Reply #646230 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's actually possible to navigate the site on mobile now, because the menu button shows up.

That's basic enough that they really ought not to get credit for it, but here we are...

Reply #646234 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Anyone else notice how ad the play by play live stats are on the NBL website. The plays are all out of sequence and why would you not have the most recent plays heading up the page instead of at the bottom.

Reply #646246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Train, that one has always stumped me. Newest action at the bottom is so retarded. It's been like that for a few seasons now ;/

Reply #646248 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I can deal with scrolling down to the bottom but the sequence they have the plays going hurts my brain.

Reply #646251 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's a FIBA thing, not an NBL thing.

Reply #646252 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"It's a FIBA thing, not an NBL thing"

I'm pretty sure the normal version of the FIBA live stats run differently.
http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/76819/18/83/15/52E9pQqmBPr4s/

That was from the Cats pre season game last weekend.

Reply #646253 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's also been an issue with WA SBL games, and there's no reason the same software would function differently with different leagues.

Reply #646262 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754