Tony Abbott
Years ago

Kevin White. Hawks new captain

Interesting decision.

http://www.hawks.com.au/news/article/35210-hawks-announce-new-captain

If it wasn't going to be Forman and Martin again, who were co-captains in a team that made the Grand Final I don't understand how Mitch Norton was the only other option.

Topic #41756 | Report this topic

Tony Abbott  
Years ago

I meant to say, Mitch Norton should have been the captain.

Reply #646103 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Seems pretty reasonable, preparing for a new era:

The announcement begins a transitional period for the club, with Oscar Forman and Rhys Martin, 2016's leaders, still on the roster and a key cog in the new leaders development. White said both have already been influential during the pre-season.

"I can lean on Oscar whenever I need to. He and Rhys have already come to me to offer support which is great," White said.

Norton added, “Oscar has been captain for a long time and Rhys has been a leader of this Hawks organisation for a long time as well, so it’s great to have those guys supporting us with our new roles.

“They are no way going to be out of the picture in terms of leadership roles this season.”

Reply #646104 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This is an odd choice.

The order of options for me would have been:

1) Martin.
2) Coenraad.
3) Norton.
4) Forman.
11) Towel boy.
12) Marvelle Harris.
13) Kevin White.

Note: Yes I know Marvelle Harris isn't playing for the Hawks anymore

Reply #646106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would've picked Norton also.
Some captains pick themselves eg Damian Martin.
Is Gibbo Brisbane's captain?
Who are the others besides Teys at Adelaide

Reply #646107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys didn't exactly pick himself. The Sixers just have no one else that is suitable.

Reply #646115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't rank the players on who should be captain based on their game on the court. It's about their personalities, i.e. maturity etc.

Teys is captain of Sixers because a lot of the other players aren't suitable for the role, same at the Hawks.

A lot of players aren't personable or mature enough to be captain.

Reply #646117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely the new slimmed down Cody would have been a better option

Reply #646118 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Either of White or Norton are good options. Both lead by example on the court. Always baffles me that people get caught up on captaincy needing to be a higher profile player. The players/coach would probably make this selection and that's all that needs to be worried about - they know the roster best.

Reply #646125 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Top bloke, ok player

Reply #646126 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Top bloke, ok player

Reply #646127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch Norton surely didnt want the extra responsibility? Whute is abhard worker and leads by example, but Norton dows those things AND is a true point guard. Odd one.

Reply #646139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another slow learner. You are judging purely based on on-court play and have no idea about the personalities of the players. Odd that it is so hard for ppl on here to understand.

Reply #646151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not saying he should have because of his on court prowess but do you think Rotnei Clarke could have been an option? season 3 at the hawks coming up as well. Is it because he's an import? I don't think you see too many import captains recently from memory?

Reply #646170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good question. It may be because it would be too hard for the others to stomach his open Christianity? Imagine the team speeches.

Reply #646171 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

White or Norton for mine. White a little bit older is probably a good choice.

Reply #646174 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

While plenty on the outside looking in don't rate White, his coach and team mates do. Highly

Reply #646211 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754