Anonymous
Years ago

Indian basketball heroes set to make NBL history

Read this in an Indian publication:

Indian links in the NBL
Indian basketball heavyweights Vishesh Bhriguvanshi and Amritpal Singh have been signed by the Adelaide 29ers and Sydney Kings respectively. RITAM MITRA reports

Had to laugh - Adelaide 29ers!

Here is the source for the feature:

http://www.indianlink.com.au/indian-basketball-heroes-nbl-vishesh-bhriguvanshi-amritpal-singh/

Topic #41761 | Report this topic

CT  
Years ago

They changed it :-)

I've got a lot more respect for Amritpal after reading this:

Born to a family of humble vegetable farmers, Singh grew up helping his father plough rice fields in Ganna Pind, a small rural village in Punjab with just over 2000 inhabitants. More than 10 km away from the nearest train station, Singh - a kabaddi player who didn't know what basketball was until the age of 18 – seemed destined to follow in his father’s agricultural footsteps. But after being introduced to basketball by his uncle in 2009, the towering center found himself representing India at the Asian basketball championships just two years later at the age of 20,

Reply #646267 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

the modern day maharajas

Reply #646271 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

He banked a three in today's Blitz highlights too.

Reply #646272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the modern day maharajas

What? You mean the complete opposite.

Reply #646274 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"the modern day maharajas"

Maybe an ironic deconstruction of the traditional caste system implicit in the comment?

Perhaps an NBL team could recruit a Dalit community member- You can't guard an untouchable.

As a vegetable farmer, he wouldn't be at the total opposite end of the caste/ class system though, but still humble background.

My guess is that Singh is a Sikh by birth, Singh would be his mother's name if I'm right. If he plays his cards right, he could make some good contacts for a business career after NBL. Kings could use this for some regional trial games on the north coast.

Reply #646324 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

OP

Checked original article.

Corrected to 36 eras already.

Better media work already????

Reply #646326 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:14 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754