Isaac
Years ago

Matt Knight to miss remainder of preseason

NBL:

Perth Wildcats big man Matt Knight has been ruled out for the remainder of the club's pre-season games with a thumb injury.

The injury occurred in the Wildcats opening game of the NBL Blitz on Friday in Traralgon, Victoria.

Scans have since revealed a small fracture and ligament damage in his right thumb.

Wildcats medical staff have opted to take a non-surgical approach to repairing the injury and are aiming to have Knight back on court in time for the club’s season opener against the Brisbane Bullets on Saturday 7 October.

Knight joins Angus Brandt on the list of Wildcats injuries with his fellow big man missing the Blitz competition.

Quelle surprise!

Topic #41782 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

Getting his injury quota in before the regular season. Smart move.

Reply #646672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should retire and they should keep Steindl

Reply #646673 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Poor guy. He's going to be a cripple by the time he's 40.

Reply #646677 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

I'm with anon, let knight go and play small ball with steindl..

Reply #646686 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

He has been a warrior, father time slows for no man!

Reply #646687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a black hole in the post and a hindrance when the guys try bring the ball up the court and go at a fast pace. Time to move on from him

Reply #646688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ clueless. when healthy he is still quality

Reply #646689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He is a black hole in the post"

I'd imagine he's one of the most effective low-post scorers.

"a hindrance when the guys try bring the ball up the court and go at a fast pace"

What, so Marto slows the ball down so they can wait for Matty to catch up? ok...

Reply #646690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quality player and has been a huge part of the dynasty in Perth, can't argue with that. Just have to wonder how his quality of life will be say 5/10 years after his career is finished.

Reply #646691 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

That's exactly what marto does, in pre season every time Kenny or DKD tried to push the ball Knight acts like a road block at half court waddling his arse to the other end.

Reply #646694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When have you seen him make a decent post move? He does these big clunky dribbles and regularly just throws the ball up hoping for a foul call.
Yes, when he labours around at quarter court trying to set screens that opposition defenders can see a mile away and then plods up the court giving less room for a point guard to work their way up the court he is a hindrance.

Reply #646695 | Report this post

GM15  
Years ago

Knight WAS a solid player in the post, if last season was his first you would all say he's a crab. The player he was in the past doesn't help us this season...

Reply #646697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't realise Knight had so many haters.

My only criticism of him has been his durability.

Former league MVP runner up has always been a work horse with an underrated mid-range jumper.

Reply #646700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man this guy really doesn't know when to give it up.

Reply #646709 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Matt Knight has always been a risk, a shoulder popped or concussion seemed always around the corner.

But when healthy he is one of the better big men around.

Look what he did to Cairns and then Game 1 of the GF with his mid-range.

He is also a good low post defender.

Just a shame that something like a glancing elbow from Prather could trigger concussion.

I honestly thought he would give it up after last season.

Reply #646725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a glancing finger from Prather, not an elbow!

Reply #646726 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, that concussion is one of the weirdest (and most troubling) ones I've seen.

Knight isn't the player he once was, but he's basically money from just above the FT line. Probably the best in the league from that spot.

Reply #646728 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Still a solid contributor. I think loads of people underestimate what he brings to a team.

But I don't think concerns about his life after basketball are unfounded. That finger-glace concussion was bizarre.

Reply #646731 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's seems way beyond optimistic to hope he can avoid being fingerbanged like that this season. Even last season we was a very good player when healthy. Tough situation all round.
I too was surprised he decided to lace them again for one more season. It doesn't sit that well with me, but it's his call. Crossing my fingers (but not in the vicinity of his head)

Reply #646782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fingerbang bang bang Fingerbang bang bang bang bang
I'm gunna fingerbang, bang you into my life.
Girl, you like to fingerbang and it's alright.
'cause' I'm the king of fingerbang, yea, that's right .
I'll just fingerbang, bang you every night.♫

Reply #646795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha sorry couldn't resist I ♥ that song after seeing that reference from Luuc.

Back on topic more like a fingertouch and Knight is concussed. Very odd and worrying.

Reply #646796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a fairly solid slap but still concerning.

Reply #646807 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but fairly solid slap doesn't come close to what I remember, unless Prather has mastered the One Finger Punch of Death.

Reply #646828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately there isn't much after basketball professionally for Matty, so I'm guessing this was his motivation for putting off retirement.

Reply #646833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm saying Prather's hand came down with some momentum. It wasn't a light graze by his finger.

Reply #646834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But Prather came out afterwards saying at the time he had no idea it was him that caused it...

Reply #646853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats fine, he may not have known.

Reply #646867 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, but that indicates that there wasn't much impact.

Reply #646885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cripple before he's 40,that boats long sailed!!! Needs to be covered in cotton wool every time he goes near ball.

Reply #646913 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So Rhys Vague gets his chance to impress more?

Is Vague a centre or would he be playing out of position?

Reply #646967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the timeline for return

Reply #647746 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:12 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754