Anonymous
Years ago

Could the Sixers be the next Wildcat-like dynasty?

I'm of the view that the current Wildcats dynasty (and any sustainable one in the future) needs to be built off a strong Australian core. Don't get me wrong, the Wildcats Aussies are a bit older now and are more role player types, but they have built the "culture" and chemistry together there over many years. And make no mistake, guys like Damian Martin and Matt Knight are still top, top quality players. Wagstaff, Hire and previously Redhage played their roles well, and now Brandt looks to be coming to the party.

But I look at the Sixers, and they appear to now have the best Australian core and arguably about to come into their prime. Sobey, Creek and Hodgson are an amazing Aussie "Big 3", and Drmic is a decent role player. If they get their imports and coaching right, could they be the next dynasty?

Rob Beveridge would probably be able to do wonders with them.

Topic #41817 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

You had me until "Hodgson" and "amazing".

Reply #647535 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I assume OP meant DJ and yes Sobey, Creek & DJ is quite a good Big 3.

Reply #647538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oops, I knew I was forgetting about someone! DJ is another! And no, that was not a mistake calling Hodgson top tier. I've had a good look at him in the pre-season and he has improved a lot. He will cause other teams a lot of issues this season.

Reply #647539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's win a Grand Final before talking dynasty.

Reply #647554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another case of 36ers fans getting ahead of themselves

Reply #647557 | Report this post

Hespect  
Years ago

The good thing about Perth's Australian core is although they were great NBL players they were flawed at higher levels. Martin didn't have a jumper most of his career and Knight is undersized.

Its always hard to predict the future and its hard to keep a core team together as long as Perth and NZ has. There will be money offered from other NBL teams and potentially high level European deals offered for the likes of Sobey and Creek.

Reply #647560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta get to a GF to win one.

Reply #647562 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

"Another case of 36ers fans getting ahead of themselves"

too true, 36'ers do have some reasonable players ...but have a looong way to go to fill out a proper Perff roster ..... where are the Floppers, the Man Buns, the Roid Ragers and the other assorted dysfunctional characters ?

you can't get a Perff type reputation and rabid Troll supporters without people they can relate too. :)

Reply #647563 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Maybe at least make multiple consecutive playoff appearances before talking about a dynasty, guys.

Reply #647568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For those struggling with comprehension, the premise here is future success not past history.

Reply #647569 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Yes, but Perth can afford to build a "dynasty" because they fill their stadium with cashed up fifo bogans every single game and are absolutely rolling in cash. When the 36ers get to the point where they consistently have a full house and can start charging $100 for a pretty ordinary seat on a Thursday night then they'll have the cash to fight off offers from other nbl clubs or from Europe and pay out all the other subsidies, allowances and extras that help keep players interested. If you can't muster the cash to keep randle, or to find a legit replacement for that matter you've still got a way to go before you start talking about dynasties.

Reply #647579 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I'm such a salty loser don't forget

Reply #647582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty hard to forget when you keep reminding us with jealous posts like that one mate!

Reply #647585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After last seasons choke.... no. Joey was terrible when it mattered and it trickled down. No reason to believe anything will change.

Reply #647587 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't know about dynasty, but it's a good local core entering prime age range. Sobey, Johnson, Creek, Hodgson and Drmic. Not unreasonable to draw at least a remote comparison to what the Wildcats (Martin, Wagstaff, Redhage, Knight, Hire) and Breakers (Vukona, Abercrombie, Pledger, etc) have managed to carry through successful years.

Adelaide might not have won the championship yet with this group, but last year they did very well against all expectations.

Reply #647597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel from the start of the season the expectations were amazingly exceeded. Problem is they were so good for so long that the expectations changed and rightfully so. To be in a dynasty hypothetical discussion you have to win a close out Game 3 at home. They had a failed season once all is said and done. For mine you are only as good as your imports in the NBL, already concerns with the health of one. If anything United could be the new dynasty team to discuss.

Reply #647604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A quality aussie core is definitely a big plus.
The key is stability. Will they all stick around? If so then yes that is a really good foundation.

And yes can we please put least season into perspective? The team was universally panned and rated a certainty to miss the playoffs. The exit was disappointing but the season was a resounding success overall.

Reply #647606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The young Aussie core will have learned from last season. Now they have the experience to go forward.

Reply #647607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Losing a Game 3 at HOME for a spot for HOME COURT advantage in the GF series, will never ever be described as a resounding success. It was clear early on, that peoples opinions on the degree off success the 36ers would have was off... the expectations rightfully were raised and they were terrible, from the point they had locked up 1st.

Very hard to create a dynasty with results like that. Lets bring this up at the end of the season, if they win it, keep the squad intact and go back to back, then yes the dynasty will be in full swing. If.

Reply #647613 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

When the Aussie core wins the majority of the games instead of their one good import, then you can start linking them to the basis of a dynasty...

Reply #647614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oooo Wookiee shots fired :D

Reply #647619 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I like the Sixers core too, but lets see if they can win one title first!

Reply #647621 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

As a Perth fan I'm actually jealous of Adelaides Aussie core with our core now 30+.
But reality is the sixers imports need to fire up for them to have a chance this season.

Reply #647624 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"For those struggling with comprehension, the premise here is future success not past history."

Talks of dynasties normally start when a team has won 2 championships in clode succession and has a good chance of continuing that good form.

I would agree that Adelaide has the best local core in the league and quite young too.

However 'dynasty' is not a word I'd use until such time I see some shampionship success from the team. True that expectations were rock bottom last season and to finish 1st made the season a 'success'.

However to bow out of the playoffs in front of a home crowd, to the 4th place team, missing their 1st team Centre, and playing lacklustre defence like it didn't matter tells me this team is not ready for such a tag.

I don't really care who is at fault by now, I want it fixed and move on. Hopefully this year the Sixers can take that next step.

Reply #647639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, definitely LOL @ dynasty talk.

The steps are as follows:

Win a Championship, become One Hit Wonders.
Win a second Championship in a close time span, to prove you aren't One Hit Wonders.
Keep winning more after that = dynasty talk

A lot of steps have been skipped!

Reply #647642 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Coach before Joey liked to turn all players over in the bottom team , while top teams perth and nz retained players...

Reply #647643 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

How are the 36ers imports looking for this season?

Reply #647754 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"How are the 36ers imports looking for this season?"

If only there was another thread discussing this season's imports vs last seasons.

Reply #647757 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:46 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754