Anon
Years ago

Clubs who ignore High Performance selections

I shake my head in bewilderment at Norwood who blatantly ignore BSA / High Performance selections and put kids selected in Futures and NITP (arguably the best 18-20 kids in each age group out of all clubs) into division 3 or 4.

Sure, the kids will probably move up in summer - if they're lucky, but what this tells me is that norwood have no effing clue how to nurture the talent right under their nose.

Probably why kids are flying out the door.

No other club I'm aware of would get this wrong and not once or twice, many times over.

Ffs these kids are being nurtured by the high performance coaches to play for their state and norwood can't even get them into squad 1.

And yes jump in and say that there's probably better kids above them - 18 better in fact... no.

Topic #41820 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

You must remember that BSA didn't go around and specifically ask certain kids to attend Futures! In fact some kids at Futures just probably shouldn't have been there to start with! They can't develop talent in someone that doesn't have talent and may be is just tall for example.
I can't recall that many kids 'flying out the door' either!!

Reply #647649 | Report this post

Shazz2x  
Years ago

I looked at the squads and I dont understand?> i see 5 kids who were recently at futures and the 6th was a reserve at southern cross. The rest in sq 1 are 2003 born so you have to consider that. only two kids from Futures didn't make squad 1. so what is the problem?
North adelaid hav also put one of the futures kids in squad 3/4. So don't just blame norwood. Accept your kid perhaps need further developemt. If they are good then they will move up eventually. Get overit

more kids are coming to norwood than leaving. check the facts.

no need to be bewildered

Reply #647652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also a lot of the futures who were selected turned it down due to other sporting commitments. They are still in d1.

Reply #647653 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I probably think that Futures needs a certain number to function properly. If some of the invited kids were involved in other sports and turned down the invite, others would have been invited that probably wouldn't have been invited initially. Just because you attend Futures therefore doesn't necessarily guarantee any Div 1 placement. It's well known that in the age group that has just finished Futures there is a lack of talented talls and many tall kids attended but it ident mean that they were talented enough to be offered a Div 1 spot in under 16. It's sad but a fact of life.

Reply #647655 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Im not arguing div 1. But Futures kids in div 3? Or lower! Come on.

These aren't tall kids these are GOOD players.

More kids coming!?

Maybe wait for the transfer requests about to roll in.

My gripe has nothing to do with where my kid is, it's just a fact that norwood ignores the high performance selections.

Reply #647661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are bewildered because you have no clue, sorry your potential NBA player didn't make a div 1/2 squad at Norwood but just because your child was in futures is irrelevant in terms of playing U16's . Be patient and wait for your 4 ft high superstar to grow and develop so he can actually make a pass and defend someone !

Reply #647665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure another club will promise you everything and make you feel more valued , so just move on with your mates who need their ego stroked and stop bagging a club for assessing your superstar as not good enough at this stage

Reply #647666 | Report this post

Baller68  
Years ago

I think a few good points have been made in previous posts on this thread and also -

1. Futures needs a set number of players to function properly.
2. Not all of the good players in an age group go to Futures for various reasons,
other commitments, other sports, even holidays! Therefore there will be players in
the club, in the same age group, who are actually better players but just didn't
attend Futures. These players could be placed in a higher squad then a player
who did attend.
3. It is well know in all sports, not just basketball that some players are selected into teams/clubs/ squads on the basis of who their parents know for example and not on
ability.
4. Anon stated that the ones in question are good players but stated not all of the 18
above them are. Many of these have been through Futures - so are you
admitting that Futures do get it wrong sometimes??
5. The players that go to Futures aren't being nurtured to play for their State! When
Futures concludes the group are told that being in Futures doesn't guarantee
selection into any State team etc but they are helping them to become better
players.
6. Quite rightly pointed out North have also placed a player in squad 3/4 so indeed
other clubs do it NOT just Norwood.

I could go on! You need to check your facts before lashing out on forums like this! Adelaide is a small place!

It's a hard thing to swallow for a kid but a harder one for a prent, being dropped to a lower division. It does happen everywhere and I sincerely hope that you find a club your happy with I'm sure a Futures player will be snapped up by another club if they are a great player, even at this stage.

Good luck.

Reply #647668 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

My child has nothing to do with this post. My kid is where they should be.

This has zero to do with my kids spot.

Reply #647671 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

End of the day they have right to choose who they like. The club is bigger then the individuals.

Reply #647687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of the day coaches also have to look at more than just skill. Attitude, personality, coachability and behaviour on court are just some of the other things that a coach needs to look at.

For example if the coach has a really strong core of three or four and the addition of 1 player will upset that weather it is through clash of personalities or by distraction because the one player finds it hard to focus then the coach must weigh up his options. If there is a medical reason for this then it becomes a non-issue and the player should be supported and managed through. If it's a work ethic thing then it can be a huge issue.

The most annoying thing is that programs like futures doesn't always take this into account because so long as all players become better the program is successful. While in clubland success is meansured by improvement and win - loss record.

Over the years there have been plenty of programs. I remember the 36ers and Lightning zone programs over a decade ago. They produced great players but they also stressed that selection for them didn't indicate what division a player should be in at their club. Futures is the same.

State team selection is by far more accurate as there they are competing for team success not individual success.

Reply #647786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Future means not now. So next year in "future" they may well be in 1/2 squad.
And I don't like Norwood. Simple remedy is leave and make club look stupid in future

Reply #647806 | Report this post

Baller68  
Years ago

I think that most of the comments on this topic are basically from people who have got a vendetta against Norwood for some reason. What a ridiculous comment 'simple remedy blah blah.....' sound like another parent with a grudge. Anonymous at 16.47 - had very valid, well thought through comments to make.

Reply #647825 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

it is pretty easy to conclude who you are now. well done. clubs never take squad selections lightly and you should know that these places have to be earned. yes, sometimes clubs make mistakes and yes, sometimes club take into considertation more than just talent. but to voice your opinion here is dumb as f*ck,

reputations of the parents or family can often overshadow the kid that is playing,

clubs look at many things such as what anonymous at 16.47 says. Shifting clubs is not always the answer and you will eventually run out of clubs with no one wanting to deal with you ever again. clearly you do not have a conscience and clearly you only care about yourself and your sons potential nba career. haha ha good luck

Reply #647926 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

This I agree with.

A few years ago .... I saw a player who had size AND skill who singularly dominated a game & was reputed to be the "next big thing" .

He went to a nearby bigger club who ( from what I heard from various other people ... so don't take it as my gospel) paid for his uniform & rego. He slotted straight into their 1st team but was yanked from the club by his parents over some disagreement on how their boy was coached.

He went on to at least one other club from what I know of & some have intimated that the attention he got from the "bigger' club went to his head.

If even a portion of this is true ( & I do know that he went to the "bigger" club & I do know that he left same club in the same season, the rest of the story is heresay but from people who are in the know) then it is a sad waste of raw talent.

I even see kids who I know personally who don't have attitude problems.. more an effort "problem" in that they could more in, but have other distractions or just haven't been worked hard enough by some coaches over the journey.

Selection & everything else is not strictly a numbers game or even the best player gets the gong like if it were a video game .. there are so many variables in play that those who are accountable for their decisions must live & die by.

Not everyone will be happy.

Reply #647950 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It's all about personal opinions and perspectives at the end of th day.

Reply #648318 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754