NJS
Years ago

What limits Daniel Johnson's ceiling?

Genuine question...

Daniel Johnson doesn't get a look in with the NBL based Boomers, and is much maligned on these forums. He puts up great offensive numbers in the NBL, so what is it about DJ? Is it the lack of D? Is he that he seems very introverted on court?

Topic #41831 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably lack of defence is the main thing. I do agree he's often overlooked in general discussions too. Someone named the 36ers' best three local players and had Hodgson in front of him the other day.

Last season he averaged 15 PPG and 7 RPG.

Reply #647876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a headcase.

Reply #647878 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think Johnson has reached his ceiling. He's a good offensive player and a sub-par defender and there hasn't been any noticeable improvement or development in his game over the past few years. He never comes back any physically bigger or any quicker. This is Daniel Johnson's best we're seeing. And it is pretty good, but I feel like there might be some effort areas lacking keeping him from being the next David Anderson.

Reply #647879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No ticker! Since juniors it's always been the same with Johnson, has all the tools but no hussle.

Reply #647880 | Report this post

Quality coaching  
Years ago

Dj was much maligned in the Clarke era when he was the highest paid local or close to it. As a first option on a team he is very deficient. Good offensive player who is weak in the 4th quarter, poor defensively and a terrible lead by example guy to get most of the team's touches.

But current DJ is peak DJ. Not the first option, but a very good 2nd or 3rd option as a scorer. He has had, and continues to have good role playing bigs next to him to play defence and cover his deficiencies. Joey has done a great job highlighting DJ's strengths and covering his weakness in the team's construction. He is a very good pick and pop big who can put the ball on the ground and get to the hole. I am glad we have him on this version of the 36ers. But as a international prospect I would have concerns about his ability to get enough buckets to cover for his limitations on the other end.

Reply #647883 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Early on I though he might become what Kickert is today, but a better rebounder/defender. I think the overall increase in talent across the league pushed him down a few rungs though. Kinda like Ogilvy, he seem to mentally get taken out of games pretty easily, especially if matched up against someone more physical.

Reply #647889 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Good second option or as your scoring 4/5 who boards reasonably well.

D is the issue but is you pair him with a solid defensive minded big you can cover this area.

Certainly one of the best O bigs in the NBL

Reply #647892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great offensive talent but too busy tugging at his shorts to play D.

Reply #647904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too busy whinging about every call or non call

Reply #647907 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Like others have said he is elite offensively, I am amazed year in year out he can still pull out the rip-through move to beat opposition bigs.

If you include rebounding within defence, then he is not the worst defender, probably just under average. He is one of the best rebounders in the league just not the intimidating shotblocker or quick hands that most people associate with good defenders.

DJ is not a whinger, in fact the opposite.

Reply #647920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ is a massive ref whinger, you seriously cannot say he is the opposite with a straight face!

Reply #647930 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think of him as a whinger. Seems pretty quiet. Who cares about his scowls or short-tugging habit.

One of his big strengths is the ability to get to the line and convert. As has been said, a great 2nd-4th option going under the radar, and smart pairing him with Hodgson if he keeps coming along. Great piece to keep for this squad IMO.

Reply #647940 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pretty sure it's the last year of his contract too so no doubt looking to have a good season.

Reply #647941 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think if you look at his numbers in regards to points and shooting % he would be right up there. I also like to look at points per minute and I think he is close to 1 point per minute, which is very good for a tall. His ability to knock down 3's is not quite Oscar-ish, but in the top % for his spot. As far as getting 20 plus point games, he is very good.

I can't back it up with stats ATM, but his rebounding stats are good, but padded a bit with easy DR's. I would suggest if we looked at his OR/DR ratio, it would be pretty low. A great/top notch 4/5 needs to thrive on ORs to give his team a second go.

Don't know how to get the stat, but I would be interested in how many ORs he gives up. In a contested rebound, I would say he is less than 50/50.
Don't know how to get this stat, but smart vs dumb fouls are another area. A smart foul is stopping a score or getting a valuable stop. Dumb fouls are just that. Moving screens, reaching fouls, offensive fouls that don't give the team an advantage. I would suggest that Damian Martin is a good example of a smart fouler. I would say 80% of the fouls he gives are useful, smart, clever fouls. DJ may be giving up a few dumb fouls - watch him play and tell me what you think.

Overall, compared to say Matt Knight, his PPG is about the same, but RPG a bit less and APG a bit less.

Reply #647951 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Daniel-Johnson/Summary/8437

The stats only go back to 2011/12 but they are impressive.

Since that year, he has been 16.6ppg, 7.8 rpg, and .7 BPG. Though TPG is a 1.97.

There has to be very few if any that have consistent;y provided such stats over that same period as a local.

He was actually a decent shotblocker earlier in his career, before last year averaging .8 BPG, but last year only .28 BPG for some reason. I have not drilled down to minutes but they seem pretty consistent about 800 - 900 per season.

Going by the stats he had already hit his ceiling back in 13/14 and in slow decline.

Reply #647960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone keeps forgetting about the best NBL stats site out there:

https://www.spatialjam.com/nbl-historical-stats

Reply #647961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It gives him an offsensive rating of nearly 120 for the last two seasons, and a defensive rating of nearly 110 for the last two seasons as well. Assuming 100 is average the stats say his D isn't that bad?

Reply #647962 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Defensive rating is the number of points conceded per 100 possessions, so a higher number is worse.

He was 38th in the league last year, 47th in 2016.

Reply #647964 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Defense has improved since early days but still not great

Reply #647978 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

He needs some mongrel about him, maybe as he gets older he will become tougher and show more emotion.

Whilst I doubt the 36ers will retire his number, the stats say that he is having a terrific NBL career and will be remembered as a quality Big in this era, of that there is little doubt.

Good luck to him

Reply #647986 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Whilst I doubt the 36ers will retire his number, the stats say that he is having a terrific NBL career and will be remembered as a quality Big in this era, of that there is little doubt.
He's barely thought of as a quality big now by a lot of people (see: the Hodgson post alluded to above), I doubt having time without him around is going to help any.

Reply #647989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #647991 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Hmm I think it's hard to say he's not a quality big. Pretty sure he's the second best stretch 4/5 in the league after David Anderson. He never seems to improve much and seems to be a while away from realizing his full potential, but he is a quality big in the league despite his shortcomings.

Reply #647996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would still be in high demand at other NBL clubs.
He will play with purpose this season in a contract year not to mention with a chip on his shoulder after last years playoff capitulation.

Reply #648002 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

When he was a decent shot blocker he also rode a lot of pine due to foul trouble. He was definitely more important to the sixers offensively around the MC years. I thought he played enough defense to keep other teams honest last year.

Importantly, he keeps out of foul trouble. So much easier for a team to put the players they want out there, rather then be dictated by foul trouble and what the other team is doing.

Decent year 2017/2018 for DJ is my prediction.

Reply #648004 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I feel like you can tell he has been spoon fed his whole junior career. Just seems to be lazy and whingey on court, looks like he is about to cry every call.

Reply #648010 | Report this post

Bretts The Man  
Years ago

Whilst I agree his D not over great , he has been a constant good scorer for team and very important member over last few years.
With Hodgsons growth and hopefully Roberts playing to reputation owning under ring maybe DJ can really shine and take us further.

Reply #648011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2.4m in the kitchen, probably 2.1m in the laundry.

It does depend on the year his ceiling was installed.

Reply #648012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^infinitely better than the Akil eye jokes

Reply #648013 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Could DJ be the Yin to David Cooper's Yan?

Reply #648014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*yang

Reply #648015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he has already hit where he is going to hit. You're seeing it now

Reply #648344 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:31 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754