smoke
Years ago

SBS schedule release date for 'Sunshine'

SBS will air the first two episodes of a 4 part mini-series on October 18/19th at 8.30pm

Starring Anthony La Paglia, Vince Colosimo, Melanie Lynskey and headlined by Big V player Wally Elnour.

The preview looks awesome:
http://www.sbs.com.au/programs/video/1040937027843/Sunshine-is-coming-to-SBS-Preview

"The story of Sunshine follows the life of Jacob, a young, aspiring South Sudanese-Australian basketball player who is on the cusp of being picked up by US scouts for the US College league. Jacob's team is not up to his standard and so he angles to bring in a better coach. His choice is Eddie (LaPaglia), a local guy in his 50’s, who once played for a US college team, but has long since retired and operates a small sports store in Sunshine, a suburb in the west of Melbourne. Almost against his best instincts, he accepts an approach by Jacob to coach his underperforming team, The Sunshine Kings. In the midst of aspiring to win at all costs, Jacob finds himself answering to Sunshine-raised lawyer Zara Skelton (Lynskey) when he is caught up in a police investigation involving a teenage girl from one of Melbourne’s affluent suburbs."

The filming took place at Braybrook YMCA in Sunshine where the Saturday junior competition is predominantly filled with Longhorns players. It's the club where Deng Adel, Mangok Mathiang, Kuany Kauny and many others got their start:
https://www.facebook.com/Longhorns-Basketball-Club-104406052938165/

I'm looking forward looking forward to seeing what sort of angle this mini-series puts on Australia's most recent refugee migrant community. The players I get to work with every week at the Longhorns are absolutely outstanding kids in every way. Wally Elnour the lead actor is one of our graduates.

Topic #41835 | Report this topic

smoke  
Years ago

Reply #648043 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Great community just as long as you don't own a European car they want to "borrow" from you.

Reply #648045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and that's the reality of it. *boom tish*

Reply #648067 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

You've entirely missed the point there, champion. How about you take the casual racism somewhere else and come back when you're all grown up and have something sensible to say.

Reply #648086 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ah I see, so disagreeing with a narrative is racism, is it?

I think this looks like an entertaining series, but I don't like what it seems to imply based off of the trailer. It seems to imply that police are just going around heckling black people who "dindu nuffin" and like they're just trying to pin something on them despite their innocence. That notion is absolute crap and can be easily disproven by looking at crime statistics, arrest rates, and everything else. And also the fact that there are plenty of government programs that try to keep young Sudanese kids on the straight and narrow, and all of the other government aids there are to prevent kids turning to Apex and everything else that they seem to be doing, particularly in Melbourne.

But because I have said these things I look forward to being called racist, because facts hurt.

Reply #648101 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I hope we see more scenes on the basketball court than say a police station

Reply #648102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are portraying police in that way? Whatan absolute joke of so.

Reply #648131 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That notion is absolute crap and can be easily disproven by looking at crime statistics, arrest rates, and everything else.
Yeah, the only other explanation is if there's some sort of way police were responsible for arresting people and charging them with crimes, or something.

Reply #648149 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Yeah, the only other explanation is if there's some sort of way police were responsible for arresting people and charging them with crimes, or something.
"

So are you proposing that rather than look for the real offenders they just grab the first black person they see?

Yeah, you're delusional.

Reply #648157 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Looks great!

Reply #648165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casual racism. How is that even possible? It's call racism.

Reply #648170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks legit

Reply #648345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More Bball the better

Reply #648454 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Enjoying this show so far. Maybe not the most original concept, but it's pretty well done.
I'm impressed that you can buy a Taipans & Breakers jersey from some random corner sports store in Sunshine, but I suspect that the Anthony LaPaglia character is a bit of a closet NZ fan.

Reply #653056 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:39 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754