CT
Years ago

Taipans import Carrera out for 4-6 weeks

Tits.

Injury Update: Michael Carrera
Latest News | 14 hours ago | 2 mins read

New CQUniversity Cairns Taipans import Michael Carrera has had surgery on his knee, following an injury he sustained in a pre-season game last week.

Carrera hurt his right knee during the second quarter of the game against the Perth Wildcats on Saturday, managed to continue to play, but pulled up sore on Sunday.

Scans revealed he had suffered a medial meniscal tear, and to eliminate risk of further injury throughout the season, surgery was decided to be the safest option.

Head Coach Aaron Fearne praised the club's medical staff for their ability to accommodate Carrera’s treatment so quickly.

"It’s outstanding that our club surgeon, Dr. Morrey, could get Mike into surgery so soon. We want to get him back to full strength and back on the court as quickly as possible," said Fearne.

“Right now, our priority is helping Mike through his rehab and ensuring that he remains integrated with the team, so it’s a seamless transition when he returns.”

Medical staff anticipate that Carrera’s recovery will be complete in the next 4-6 weeks.

Topic #41838 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

4-6 weeks recovery from a medial meniscus surgery? Pro athletes and trainers are next level with the recovery times these days!

Reply #648056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy

Reply #648057 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I'm shocked.

Cairns Taipans have medical staff?

I thought they would have rolled Carera down to the local GP and put him on the public waiting list.

Reply #648061 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@LoveBroker, that's a bit mean! Dr Morrey is not on the Taipans staff or pay roll; he's a local surgeon who is a huge basketball fan and will put a Taipans player at the front of the queue for the club and the community. Great guy and a very well respected surgeon.

Carrera will also have very good physio at Total Physio (maybe not the very best in Cairns, but very good) and he may be back in 6 weeks - I'd be unhappy to see him back earlier than that, because I think it's very difficult to get over that type of surgery in such a short space of time.

Reply #648062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tits.

Kingpodge's?

Reply #648065 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I have to confess I did picture Fearney driving him down to the 24 medical centre and them both sitting there with all the backpackers getting their morning after pills...

Reply #648085 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

With Nate's Medicare card.

Reply #648087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will they sign temporary replacement?

Reply #648156 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Do they need one, he could be back on court before Xmas...?

Reply #648158 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

Even more demands on Loughton?
He's shouldered the Marlins' first half of season, played big minutes in the visiting university exhibition matches, ditto for the Blitz. Bet he doubles up again till the Porsche is back on the road.
Obviously a bit of a Lout fan, and surprised to be in such a minority, but I think Cairns owes him some real respect.

Reply #648166 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Perfect excuse to dump this muppet, but not Fearne,let's flog the guts out of Loughton instead. Season over with one "non move"!

Reply #648173 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Loughton's still got a lot to give and to be fair to him the Marlins looked a lot shaker when he left (along with a few other changes) . But while he's a great team guy he can't be that Grabeau/Worthington pit bull that the team needs most and I think that's where they'll suffer. Unless someone else can step up and become that guy who just won't give up and can pull the team back into the game I can foresee a few losses when they have the classic taipans Q3 fade and nothing seems to be going down.

Reply #648176 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Any short term replacement expected?

What have Kuany and Smith looked like in pre season?

Reply #648197 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

he'll miss 2 maybe 3 games, why are we dumping him? Especially given his pre-season form.

Also, Weigh would be more likely to take his minutes, rather than Al double his workload.

Reply #648198 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Loughton has about five first pumps in him, which is also how many buckets he has left in him

Reply #648199 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Lets not kid ourselves Fearne would still find some way to bring this guy off the bench behind Weigh.

At least Craig got the opportunity to get away from Fearne and show what he could do in Brisbane and now in Denver.

Reply #648206 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Because Craig didn't develop into the player he is today?......

Reply #648218 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Craig didn't get a chance to develop. His confidence was beaten down, I know that for a fact

Reply #648225 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Sure, part of being a professional athlete is dealing with that. Straight out of college, playing off the bench for a GF team. Why change a winning formula? The second season when he started half the games and dropped his efficiency.

He also put in a shitload of work in the following seasons, work that wasn't obvious in his time up here. The guy's grown into a magnificent example of what it is to be a professional basketballer. I hope he ends up as a starter and ends up being a vital piece of that Nuggets roster (which just quietly is going to be something else).

We've argued this before Manu, and I've got Cowboy fans to bag out tonight so we can just copy and paste our last chat about it.

I know many things for facts, most of which I can't put on internet forums :)

Reply #648229 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha, the chat a out how you can't see the wood from the trees. Yeah aight.

Enjoy

Reply #648231 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

About*

Reply #648232 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Back to the topic.

After seeing Carrera at training a couple of times and playing pre-season, even if he was out for 2 months, I think he's worth the wait. Aside from the foul issues (he looked far more comfortable in the 2nd game against Perth), I think he could be a force in the NBL. Physically he's and a unique mix of mobility and wingspan, has a competitive drive that would make Wortho proud, and his game of both ends looks pretty well-rounded.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a small ball lineup in the rotation with Carrera at the 5 and Weigh at the 4. We wouldn't have the pnr coverage issues we've had in the past, and we'd still have a presence at the rim (which we've also lacked in the past).

Reply #648233 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha you know i love our chats Manu - they're the only reason i come back to hoops ;)

Reply #648234 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Man I've loved the Porsche from day 1.

Is Carrera strong enough to defend in the paint without resorting to fouling?

Reply #648235 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I think he's strong enough, but he's still adjusting to the NBL officiating.

It's a question about savvy not strength IMO. Can he control that firery latin American blood! Man I'm sad we'll never see him Vs Redhage.

Reply #648237 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

'Por-shu...Por-shu...Por-shu...'
[Manu F leading the Orange Army Chant Ensemble down at the Convention Centre.]
Gonna be another great season.

Reply #648269 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not a good sign as an import by years gone past. Will he be replaced ?

Reply #648296 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

KP, Manu and GB. What's the inside info on Smith. Is he quality. Need a bit of a heads up for DT purposes.

Reply #648355 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha I wish, Greybouy, but I don't catch many games these days. Not in town often enough.

Smith may have the best vision of any import PG we've had. But I feel like Fearne will put him in a box and restrict his flair.

Reply #648358 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

May just lead the league in assists this year.

Reply #648359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Save yourself on Smith until next season when he is at another team with a coach that actually lets him play

Reply #648362 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

About that letting them play..... Wilbekin is one the phone Anon... from Europe... where he is earning millions per season....

Reply #648412 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:01 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754