Anonymous
Years ago

Ronald Roberts (first gone?)

With his injuries over the last couple of seasons, and preseason "soreness" I'm calling this guy won't play a game for the 36ers.

Who would be decent replacements this late? Most Euro teams have now completed rosters, so talent may be hard to find. I did note the Jameel McKay was just released, would he be a good fit to backup Hodgey?

Topic #41846 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

By that logic, Devondrick Walker was the first gone.

Reply #648185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he has looked the goods to me in the time he has been on court. Thought he might be a good pick up.

Reply #648188 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Unfortunately I think Tokoto is better than Walker would have been

Reply #648189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why 'unfortunately'? Shouldn't it be good for the league to have the best players we can find?

Reply #648190 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

It's Perth tho

Reply #648194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True, forgot about Walker. Well 2nd.

Reply #648195 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Technically I don't think Walker is gone, Tokoto is his replacement until Walker is fit to resume.

I also think Roberts might be the first gone, looked great in one of the Merlion Cup games then the next game only played a few minutes he came off and came back later for 4-5 mins total and then didn't play again the rest of the tournament.

As I understand it this is his comeback to playing after doing his knee last December and if he's struggling with it already we might need to cut him before the 10 game mark or whatever it is before imports contracts become guaranteed for the rest of the season.

Reply #648204 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Technically I don't think Walker is gone, Tokoto is his replacement until Walker is fit to resume.
He won't be fit until so late in the season it would be a bad idea to bring him in, if he'd even be able to get playoff eligibility by then.

Reply #648207 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No doubt KR, but I think that is the route they're going down isn't it? Probably more so because he's best buds with Cotton and they don't want to upset him.

Reply #648208 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not good.

The only downside was new import big Ronald Roberts tweaking his knee during the tournament which kept him out of the semi and the Cup finals and now looks almost certain to see him miss the 36ers' NBL home opener on Thursday against Melbourne United.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/slingshot-for-36ers/

Reply #648211 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

McKay would fit in at Adelaide.

Reply #648217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are pipes big there?

In all seriousness when did the 10 game guaranteed contract rule come in?

Reply #648245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players must play a quarter of the season to be eligible for finals.

Reply #648254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We know that but this guaranteed contract for imports is what the question was about.

Reply #648260 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Some people might be overreacting here. Yes, he will probably miss a game but that doesn't mean he can book his tickets just yet.

Reply #648262 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

FWIW, the old NBL standard player contract contained clauses that required imports to be paid out for the season after a certain point in the season was reached. I suspect that's where the notion of a 'guaranteed contract' came from. The relevant clauses are quoted below.

This was a long time ago, when BA was still running the NBL. Since then, the NBL ownership first was transferred to the clubs and then to Kestleman. Also, this was the standard contract and players and clubs would have negotiated individual arrangements.

"10. DEFAULT AND TERMINATION

10.1 Events of Default by Player

(a) Each of the following obligations of the Player are essential terms of this
Contract (each an "Essential Term"):

(i) clause 2.2 (faithfully, diligently and to the best of the Player's skill
and ability perform duties);

(ii) clause 2.3 (act in the best interests of the Club and the NBL particularly as set out in their respective rules and regulations);

(iii) clause 4 (Player's duties);

(iv) clause 5 (fitness and injury);

(v) clause 6.2 (fitness);

(vi) clause 6.3 (injury and illness);

(vii) clause 6.4 (hospital and medical benefits);

(viii) clause 6.5 (disclosure of other contracts); and

(ix) clause 12.3 (disclosure of confidential information).

(b) If the Player breaches an Essential Term, the Club may give to the Player a written notice setting out the particulars of the breach and giving the Player a period of time (not exceeding thirty (30) days) in which to remedy the breach.

(c) If, after the expiration of the period specified in the notice given under clause 10.1(b), the breach has not been remedied to the reasonable satisfaction of the Club, the Club may:

(i) terminate this Contract; and/or

(ii) recover from the Player any loss suffered by the Club due to the
Player's default; and/or

(iii) exercise any of its other legal rights.

(d) The Player agrees that the Club is discharged from any liability to pay any further payments to the Player under this Contract from the date of termination.

(e) Nothing in this clause 10.1 affects the Club's other rights under the
provisions of clause 10 or this Contract.

(f) Notwithstanding the above, the Player agrees that if the Club or NBL is reasonably satisfied that the Player has committed a breach of the NBL Anti-Doping Policy then the Club is entitled to terminate this contract and in such case the Player agrees that the Club is discharged from any liability under this Contract from the date of termination.

10.2 Termination for Cause

(a) The Club may give notice to the Player that the Club intends to terminate this Contract under this clause as, in the Club's reasonable opinion, the Player is not playing or training for the Club conscientiously and to the best of his ability and skill or is otherwise in breach of this contract. A notice under this clause may specify the reasons that the Club has based its opinion on.

(b) The Club must within twenty-eight (28) days of the service of a notice under clause 10.2(a) allow the Player to have an opportunity to be heard by the Board of the Club in response to the notice.

(c) If, within twenty-eight (28) days of the service of the notice under clause 10.2(a):

(i) the Player has not approached the Club seeking to be heard under clause 10.2(b); or

(ii) in the reasonable opinion of the Club, the Player has not provided a satisfactory explanation, or remedy to the matters raised in the notice,

then the Club may terminate this Contract immediately.

(d) In the event that this Contract is terminated under clause 10.2(c), all obligations of the Club to make any payment to the Player under this Contract cease immediately and the Player agrees that the Club is released from all obligations to the Player including any obligations that arose prior to the termination.

10.3 De-activation

(a) The Club is entitled to remove the Player from the Club's active list of players at its sole discretion and may by written notice to the Player and subject to this clause; terminate this Contract by reason of the Player's de- activation by the Club.

(b) If the Club terminates this Contract under clause 10.3(a), then subject to clause 10.3(e), the Club must pay to the Player:

(i) if the Contract is a one year contract, then the remainder of the that years Salary;

(ii) if the contract is a two year contract and the player is terminated in the first year, then the balance of the first years Salary plus 50 % of the second years Salary. If the player is terminated in the second year of the contract then the remainder of the second years Salary is payable;

(iii) if the contract is a three year contract and the player is terminated in the first year, then the balance of the first years Salary plus 50
% of the second and 50 % of the third years Salary. If the player is terminated in the second year of the contract then the remainder of the second years Salary is payable plus 50% of the third years Salary. If the contract is terminated in the third year then the remainder of the third year Salary is payable.

10.4 Termination of Restricted Players

(a) A restricted player in the NBL competition may be employed on probation. The probation period shall end two months after the first regular season game.

(b) If such a player is terminated during the probationary period he will be paid one month's salary in lieu of notice, together with the reimbursement of any out-of-pocket expenses.

(c) Where a club seeks to terminate the employment of such a player after the conclusion of the probationary period, then it must be done in accordance with the provisions of clauses 10.1, 10.2 or 10.3 as applicable."

Clauses 10.1 and 10.2 A subsequent clause was specific to restricted players (imports) and read:

Reply #648264 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

They will give him a longer life then one game surely.

Reply #648291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard gone, but not just due to injury.

Reply #648385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gone now.

Reply #648524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Source?

Reply #648530 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

I had him in my fantasy side due to the 36ers playing two games in first round can someone provide some concrete info with source. Please.

Reply #648532 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

100% gone

Reply #648534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McKay?

Reply #648535 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's what I thought as soon as I saw McKay had been released by his team in Spain knowing he would now be a bit desperate to find a contract, cut Roberts and just grab him as a known quantity.

Reply #648536 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"I had him in my fantasy side due to the 36ers playing two games in first round can someone provide some concrete info with source. Please."

John,

The opening post discusses Roberts' injury concerns.

The subsequent posts discusses and confirms Roberts' injury concerns.

Yet, you're just now concerned that he may be given the boot.

Is there any logic in keeping Roberts in your DT for this week prior to that announcement that you'd like to share?

Reply #648543 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

plus Boti has already stated he won't play Thursday regardless of the reason

Reply #648548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you reckon Jerome Randle is taking the piss? He just posted this on his Facebook

I want to wish Ronald Roberts a good season in adelaide heard he's a good player and even better person, get alone with everyone and is a work horse" good luck

Reply #648549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clear crack at Joey because JR knows the truth and is trying to make Joey look bad.

Reply #648550 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

How is that a 'clear crack' at Joey?

And what is this 'truth' that he knows?

Reply #648552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you'll see

Reply #648553 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Don't be so naive LB, obviously Randle has got wind of what is going on here so his followers can then blame Joey/the club in five minutes time when he gets sacked.

Randle is a petty individual we saw that in the NBL All-Stars series in China when he posted something like he now considers Rob Beveridge (the coach that knocked the Sixers out of the playoffs) a great coach and a friend for life no doubt to get under Joey's skin.

Reply #648554 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Zodiac, funny you brought that up because I was going to as an example of how sensitive people are.

Let's break it down.

He said Bevo is a great coach. I suppose having played under Bevo for a series and seen what Bevo has done for the Hawks (1 x SF + 1 x GF) in the 2 years Randle's been playing in the NBL, one could reasonably form that opinion.

If I recall correctly, Joey should take as much of the credit for the Hawks winning Games 2 and 3 than Bevo's game plan.

If he were to say Marty Clarke or Dean Demopolous was a great coach then thats something else, even then it would just be an idiotic statement on his part and still not a shot at Joey.

Friend for life comment. At worst this is a throwaway comment like when people say let's definitely catch up but don't mean it. Is Randle not allowed to form new friendships because Joey might be offended?

Is this what the new Social Media sensitivity etiquette has become?

Reply #648555 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Love Broker

I have just got back from hols and over the years with fantasy leagues I have lost count of the times that 100% confirmed rumours are not the case. I tried to find a confirmation but couldn't. Is is too hard to provide a link if you have it?

Reply #648556 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

There's nothing to break down LB. Randle only spent a week and a half under Bevo and knowing the 36ers had cut off negotiations with him goes out of his way to praise the coach that knocked the 36ers out of the playoffs, ironically by baiting Randle into shooting us out of it in the fourth quarter of Game 2.

The added 'friend for life' stuff was just for anyone not on the ball enough to understand what he was really saying.

Reply #648558 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Sorry I did not see the post with the Boti link. Was using my phone to search for news and missed it. Not sure who I should replace Roberts with.

Reply #648559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JR isn't disguising his thoughts on Joey

JR knows Roberts has been cut and knows why

JR setting it up to try and show it's Joey who has the problem working with people hence the comment that Roberts "get alone(sic) with everyone and is a work horse"

Reply #648562 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Zodiac

I think you are reading too much into the fact that Randle is praising the coach that beat the Sixers.

If Randle and Bevo had ZERO connection, then yes, you could draw that conclusion.

But Randle played under Bevo AND has seen what Bevo has done in the NBL and with a low budget team for 2 years running.

Reply #648566 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

If he has been cut for other reasons what are they? seems odd that Randle singled him out for a message. No mention of Shorter.

Reply #648567 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Because Shorter's not about to be cut.

Reply #648568 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

So he's being a knob? Roberts cut for injury or more going on? He must have really put some people off side very quuckly

Reply #648569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

flip JR's comment to find your reasons perhaps

Reply #648572 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

If true then it happened quickly. Need a replacement fast or we light on in the front court with a tough run to start the season.

Reply #648573 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:29 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754