CT
Years ago

Taipans sign SEABL import Jerry Evans Jr.

Short term contract to cover Carrera while he's out:

Just a few days ahead of season tip-off, the CQUniversity Cairns Taipans have signed American Jerry Evans Jr to a short-term contract as an injury replacement.

The 27-year old recently played with the Sandringham Sabres in the SEABL, and was the League's fourth-leading scorer with an average of 21.1 points per game.

He spent the off-season training with Melbourne United, suiting up for them in their pre-season games against visiting college teams, where he had 12 points against Wisconsin and a double-double of 11 points and 10 boards against Texas.

"I thought he played well against Wisconsin and Texas. I liked his length, his activity, his ability to defend and also be disruptive. It was impressive," said Head Coach Aaron Fearne.

“I called [United Head Coach] Dean Vickerman to get his opinion of him, and he had nothing but positive things to say.

“United have a similar offensive system to us, so it should be an easy transition.”

Originally from Los Angeles, Evans Jr. attended the University of Nevada and went on to play professionally in Poland and Greece, before heading down under.

The 203cm forward joins the Taipans for his first NBL campaign, replacing Michael Carrera who is not expected to return for 4-6 weeks following knee surgery.

“There are a lot of advantages to bringing him in. He’s practiced with an NBL team already, played with other NBL athletes, and has spent time in Australia,” said Fearne.

“We’ll only have a couple of practice sessions before the season starts, but he’s already had a hit out and looked fantastic. He’s a good shooter, he’ll get to the ring and he’ll definitely bring some things that will help us out.”:

Topic #41861 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

This is a good signing. I saw those couple of preseason games he played for Melb Utd and although not dominant I thought it surprising an NBL team hadn't already signed him. Not only can he crash the boards but he has composure as a scorer I think he hit the game winning three in the game against Wisconsin.

It's Jerry btw.

Texas game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5yYmih_3gA

Wisconsin game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUQlKVCem8I

Reply #648509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"United have a similar offensive system to us, so it should be an easy transition."

lol?

Reply #648514 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

nice temp signing. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets a full-time home (if plays to his potential) somewhere in the NBL before the season is done.

Reply #648541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he played SEABL he made no impression on me as an import.

Reply #648574 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Credit to this guy.

With a name like that he should be a slightly overweight white guy in his mid-forties who wastes his days away in an office cubicle. But here he is, against all odds, getting buckets for a living. Madness.

Reply #648579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

like kingpodge?

Reply #648582 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Hustles hard and plays hard

Reply #648583 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Manu - or a TV evangelist!

Reply #648596 | Report this post

Kyle Pergerson  
Years ago

Jerry is an amazing athelete. He plays hard every play of the game. I watched him play in the two Melbourne games and I was impressed with his performance. He has the ability to defend, shoot and stretch the floor. Taipans will enjoy this player. And the crowd will love his performance.
I can't wait to watch him.

Reply #648601 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Listed at 6'8" and 210lbs when he was at college, the Sabres only had him lister at 201cm (about 6'7").
Fearne has him slated to fill a role at 3, with Carrera out. I know Carrera is only about 6'5, but I thought he was going to mostly play 4 for us.

How does the team shape up, now? I assume Nate will start the season, as he suited up for pre-season games.

Smith/Weeks/Heuir
Gliddon/McCarron/Kuany
Evans/Weigh/McCarron
Loughton/Evans/Weigh
Jawai/Egwu

???

Reply #648640 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Freethrows: I wouldn't be surprised if McCarron starts at 3 and Weigh at 4.

Jawai could start on the bench as well if they want to ease him into things, with Evens or Egwu starting at 5.

Reply #648690 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Kingpodge, that's another thought I had. Thinking longer on it, I'd be surprised if Fearne would start Evans, given his lack of prep with the team (even if MU do run a similar offence!?) so Weigh as a 4 makes sense. I've often thought it's a good thing for him to play there, and have said so in the past.

The difficulty with McCarron at 3 and Weigh at 4 is wwho comes off the bench at 2 or 3. Is Heuir ready for the backup 2 spot? I guess Evans can come in at 3. Or do you rotate Smith to 2 and bring Weeks in at 1?

I didn't see any of the pre-season games, but it looks like Kuany will be buried as deeply as Heuir has been the last couple of years. Your thoughts?

Reply #648855 | Report this post

Kyle Pergerson  
Years ago

I've seen Evans play over the years and his all around ability is limitless! He has the ability to play multiple positions. Most effective from the 2 to 4 effectively. This guys talent Is unmatched by most his size and height. He will be a fun guy to watch. I travelled to watch him play for the SEABL every home game and he did not disappoint. It would be great to keep him in AU. Unfortunately! He's a bit further away to travel now.

Reply #648888 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Kyle, I hope you're right and his ability transcends to the NBL. Fearne certainly hasn't ruled out keeping him beyond the short term...

Reply #648889 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Kuany was signed as a 3. Weigh isn't good enough to start in this league anymore. Hence Carrera who should of been a bigger 4 man would of been playing some 3 to help out the recruiting error in the 3 spot.Jerry will have to start at the 4 tonight. We know Mitch is capable of helping out at the 3 but is undersized.

Reply #648903 | Report this post

Kyle Pergerson  
Years ago

Freethrow, you will see that I'm right. I've watched the last two games and I believe that his ability has transcend over to the NBL effortless. Fearne, would be wise to keep him on. I'm excited for him.

Reply #649740 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Thunder - I think Weigh saw your post ;)

Reply #649748 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Thanks for your posts Jerry...didn't look that good to be honest!

Reply #649750 | Report this post

Kyle Pergerson  
Years ago

Reality! I don't know what game(s) you were looking at. A player comes into an already made team a few days to practice and learn his role. The team wins both games. There should be no negative energy at all. Encouragement is key. The team is in the green. IJS...

Reply #649838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Jerry's agent.

Reply #649888 | Report this post

Kyle Pergerson  
Years ago

Evans is playing well. I like this kid a lot. I would love for him to find a home in the NBL. His potential is limitless.! Can we keep him.?

Reply #661385 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:53 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754