Anonymous
Years ago

WA SBL - October 2017

there have been a few coaching jobs advertised in the last few weeks, and also a number that are vacant ie- goldfields giants,s/w slammers.
perth redbacks,mandurah magic and also Cockburn cougars application dates are closed.
is there any news on any of the above positions.
what about east perth men/women.

Topic #41862 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

East Perth MSBL have their coach already. Just not announced.

Reply #648631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I want more info about player movements. Need to see where the chips fall and see which teams are in for a big year.

Reply #648632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well who is it?

Reply #648633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

driscoll

Reply #648641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Lako retiring on a high or going for the double and eventual threepeat?

Reply #648663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can anyone from wolfpack confirm Christian clausen is to lace up the boots for the Joondalup wolves in 2018.

Reply #648666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lako is back. Who is Driscoll?

Reply #648672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any news on Kalgoorlie? have they got a coach or signed any players etc

Reply #648676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Driscoll was an assistant at Perth last seson wsnt he?

Reply #648677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe a well known south west basketball identity is the front runner for the goldfields giants top job for season 2018.

Reply #648978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Lay?

Reply #648979 | Report this post

Little H  
Years ago

ANON #78

Don't know where you get your info from but you right out of the ball park when it comes to a South West identity.

As Donald Trump would say. FAKE NEWS.

Reply #649021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hearing that Goldfields may have to find two new imports for this season.

Reply #649172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacob holmen will be a massive loss if this is the case. pillard was a front runner an soft as butter . he will be easily replaced. its the support staff and coaching that will be the biggest challenge for the giants.
the bunbury rumour is strong for their coaching position. the giants are always letting us know what is happening they have been the best for many years with sharing their information. LUKOSIS ?

Reply #649591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel free to share who this Bunbury man is for the coaching job

Reply #649594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jason Chalk?

Reply #649612 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

- We are currently negotiating with Jacob Holmen in regards to a return in 2018. As the reigning SBL MVP, we would be foolish to not try and get him back. Other clubs have approached him, and why wouldn't they, so this is of no surprise. He is getting married soon so his priority is on that at the minute.

- We have been advised by JB Pillard's manager that he has a significant knee problem, and to not consider him for 2018, so we are looking for a replacement.

- We are currently talking to prospective coaches, so will hopefully have that put to bed soon.

- We're on the verge of signing an Aussie big from the Eastern States. A media release will be issued upon confirmation.

Reply #649619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Megan Thompson named Cougars womens coach
Charles Nix named Redbacks womens coach

Reply #649849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tanya fisher to coach east perth woman and colin driscoll to coach men

Reply #649853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would leave Mandurah women and Slammers men to be the last gigs vacant?

Reply #649866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

goldfeilds

Reply #649869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think you will find if Miegel doesn't stay on at mandurah, Craig Watts will be their new HC

Reply #649871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watts almost a lock for that gig

Reply #649872 | Report this post

Sniper  
Years ago

I hear Michael Lay will retire from playing to take on the head coach position down in the south west. Any one down there confirm? Wattsy a lock to take on the magic women if Randy doesn't have one more crack at it

Reply #649873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do these SBL coaches get paid? Are we talking $0-$3k or $3-$5k or $5k-$10k or $10k+?

Reply #649874 | Report this post

Yo Mama  
Years ago

Most would be 5-10. Ridiculous given the hours put in. Your elite level coaches such as ettridge, lakovic, Ellis, doccy etc would all be on 10k+

Reply #649875 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Most would be $0-5k and probably investing some of that back into the program

Reply #649885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lakovic elite now?

Reply #649890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok to 5k hardly any if any on more than this.

Reply #649901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can confirm with 100% driscoll is not the coach of EP men

Reply #649929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

comfirm with what, do you have a name.

Reply #649935 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Who the is Watts? Never heard of him.
Why replace a great coach who has just got them to the grand final with a nobody?
Unless Randy doesn't want to coach again ?

Reply #649938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Craig Watts, very experienced at State level and was assistant to Miegel this year. However Randy will be going around again from all accounts

Reply #650007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets talk about player movements,( not coaches ) chaudier pal is the interesting one - ive heard the Mandurah magic are in the running , also heard seva chan possibly on the move again

Reply #650026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chan is not moving from Cockburn, why would he? Nener wants a team of young kids and the club wants zero imports, means Chan will do whatever he wants.

Della would have returned if he was playing more than 10 minutes, no doubt. Rumour has it Thomas is recovering well from Ankle Surgery but if he plays on at Cockburn, not sure. Some young boys coming through the program there would have valued those two sticking around. Will it happen?not likely.

Cougars will still have Field, Cummings, Chan.

Reply #650028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holman to the Hawks

Hussey to the Wolves

Reply #650046 | Report this post

Little H  
Years ago

Anon 046
BWahaha Funniest thing I have ever heard.

Reply #650051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pal is gonna be a problem next year. Heard he's been working hard and it's easy to see watching Thursday night games

Reply #650105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On closer inspection Chauders seabl stats actually translate to a double double in 30 mins. Not bad at all actually. Only played about 20 mins a game for whatever reason.

Reply #650106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Little H why is that funny? If you dont think either of those two guys arent a chance to play at those clubs mentioned then clearly you are the one who should be laughed at.

Reply #650156 | Report this post

Little H  
Years ago

Its laughable because it wont happen. One might but I know for sure the other one wont. So hence my laughter

Reply #650160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Elaborate or gtfo

Reply #650165 | Report this post

Yo Mama  
Years ago

Holmen definitely NOT leaving giants. Looking at long term deal up there and could even be player coach from what I've been told. My mail also has Hussey at Stirling not the wolfpack

Reply #650167 | Report this post

Little H  
Years ago

I will elaborate when things become official. I wont throw rumors around like FAKE NEWS,

Reply #650174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF is with the SBL advertising for a security firm? Very odd

Reply #650197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Link?

Reply #650217 | Report this post

Helen of Troy  
Years ago

Word around town is Holmen will be offered player coach role at Kal so I doubt he will leave

Reply #650232 | Report this post

Helen of Troy  
Years ago

Huss will probably play at Perry Lakes, possibly Pal too

Reply #650233 | Report this post

SBL Insider  
Years ago

Wolves have really raised the bar with their new stadium and logo. From the photos looks really professional, and the SCC crew at Bendat yesterday said it looks mint!

/have those rings ben tested for Dwayne Banjmain?

Reply #651066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

East Perth men's coaching gig just advertised

Reply #651072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EP must have had Thwaites & Charlie both pull out.

Were looking at both.

Reply #651076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the real question is, has the glass been tested.

Reply #651120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cougars don't have a decent import they run the risk of being wooden spooners.
Heard DT wants to go to Hawks.
Nener does not value Della as a player so no point in the 35 year old playing again, wouldn't surprise me if he followed DT to play under Parsons.
Holmes is a decent player who continues to improve. But foul prone.
Field no where near the player he used to be since his arm injury.Cummings good Not much else there.Chan a bit soft. It's ok to want a young team but only have players suitable as 8,9 and 10th players.
Don't believe as a coach that Nener can attract players
Without an import and another big no finals for Cougars

Reply #651226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Field needs to not be the third or sometimes fourth option on the Cougars team. He wasn't at his best last season but a lot of that had to do with Neners game plan. He just didn't get Field enough looks. He chose to feature the import and Cummings.

Reply #651235 | Report this post

Feathered Fighter  
Years ago

Hawks looking to put two teams in SBL next season with the arrival of Thomas, Pal, Holman, Hussey, Della and two more that some idiot will put up here tomorrow.

Reply #651237 | Report this post

lel  
Years ago

DT spotted down at Bendat training with Parsons

Reply #651238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know how Nener got the job again Will probably play Field as a guard again.

Reply #651258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

still looking for coaches slammers,eagles,giants ,

Reply #651273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was actually his best move of the year, allowing Gavin to play the 1 and actually get the team through sets, that's when they played their best basketball.

Every year there is talk Cougars wont have imports, they always end of with one if not two.

Reply #651274 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Haha his best move,

Reply #651276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Played Field 1 and put Della on as well for more than 10 minutes Has He retired or not.

Reply #651283 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Can't imagine he’d want to put up with another season under Nener

Reply #651285 | Report this post

Marky Mark  
Years ago

Got me stuffed why Tim Rundilick didnt get the womens head coach job at redbacks. What has this Nix guy done in his coaching career? Tim coached his team to back to back grand finals!!!

Reply #651286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #651287 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Nix got lucky with COY votes were very close and a lot of people wouldn't have voted for Ettridge or Lako
Nix Definitely not COY standards

Reply #651289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rendulic got screwed for the Redback WSBL job. Should have been his. Typical trash club not looking after their own homegrown. Wait for that team to be a shambles this year. Nix couldn't coach at PL and he got lucky to have Michael Lay as his assistant this past season. Will be found out this year.

Reply #651313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rendulic definately got screwed, My male was coach was asked to groom him for the job and then he didnt get it

Reply #651315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was d league marky mark,
and it was a pretty stacked team.
JAKENS 150+ GAMES WSBL
ASHWORTH 60+ GAMES WSBL
HUGHES 60+GAMES WSBL
STREET 50 + GAMES WSBL
LISCOMBE 200 + GAMES WSBL
DONOVAN 150+ GAMES WSBL
HAYWARD 150+ GAMES WSBL
Should be playing grand finals

Reply #651319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were beaten by Mandurah u-20s side for the div 1 GF this season. Nix a good coach and will get this squad up and about and probably wont include a number of the above.

Reply #651332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two thirds of the above comments from Tim himself no doubt. Been with the club as a player and coach, so they obviously know him well enough to know he isn't good enough for the job. Move on, because frankly no one else cares.

Reply #651338 | Report this post

Yo Mama  
Years ago

Word is Rendulic didn't have the support of key players who made it clear to those higher up at the club, they would not stay should he be appointed. Another case of the arrogance of some who have grown up with Perth, then the harsh reality check when they realise they're not as good as their ego led them to believe. Expect that same reality bite half their men's team in that same category, once the cheque book dries up and S Redhage can't win them championships any more

Reply #651372 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

There's a whole lot of crap being bandied about regarding Tim.

I'll bet Yo Mama is one of the self-entitled players that think they dictate who Coaches or if they even bother to turn up to practice etc. Maybe it's the same player that tried to undermine the last Coach in the middle of the Season and have him replaced?

Perth are just doing what they have done the last 5 years or so, over-look people from within and chase shiny new Coaches from outside. Will they lose another long-standing loyal person in the pursuit of the easy fix?

Does Nix have the tools to Coach Womens? Theres no track record there. At least Tim has Coached the last 2 Seasons, albeit D-League.

It'll be interesting to see who stays and who goes off chasing a pay cheque again.

Reply #651374 | Report this post

Yo Mama  
Years ago

(Mod: Sniping.)

Reply #651386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All is not lost , Tim can assist Nix this season and take over next season as the only reason Nix is coaching woman is because there are no Mens jobs going in the city and he didnt want to commute.
Can bet your life when a mens job comes up next season he will be gone.
He has to coach to stay involved and this was the only job going, If you sit out of coaching for a season its hard to be accepted for other jobs.

Reply #651402 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Ahahahaha thanks for the laugh Yo Mama.

You don't sound bitter yourself at all. No, not at all.

Feel free to identify who you are so I can make erroneous personal attacks about you too. You are sounding a lot like the Brother of a certain someone at the Club, hmmm.

No wonder people are loathe to say who they are on here.

Yup, Tim is a mate. Yup, what I said about the Club is 100% true. What you said about me is 100% crap, but keep hiding behind that name bud.

Reply #651413 | Report this post

Greg Gurr  
Years ago

Giants announce their first signing of 2018. 6-6" Aussie/American called Jake Martin. Grew up in the USA, played college in Chicago, played for the Bulleen Boomers in the BigV this year.

Reply #651421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth are just doing what they have done the last 5 years or so, over-look people from within and chase shiny new Coaches from outside. Will they lose another long-standing loyal person in the pursuit of the easy fix?"

they been doing that to the players too, bringing in players from outside clubs (wolves,suns, tigers) and they are not any better than the long-standing loyal players

Reply #651423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think they are better the past few years with the players they brought in(played finals)
Previous seasons finished near the bottom with the long standing loyal players you speak of

Reply #651424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They even bring in players from the Suns? Wow.

Reply #651427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

60k to buy players and an import earnt them 3 more wins this year than the long standing loyal players got them in '15. How much better???

Reply #651433 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

It is a joke of a league anyway. Clubs are horribly run and there are so many cases of big fish little pond. Coaches who cant coach and players that cant play being talked about like they are amazing. Blows my mind. Take a trip to the east coast and check out some SEABL or even Big V and compare it to the puss that people rate as great basketball over here.

Reply #651436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is there a big v or seabl thread to go to then

Reply #651437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am pretty sure Parsons and DT are mates and just because they are catching up means nothing.

Reply #651438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They played Field at the 1 and got through sets. Isn't Chan a PG? Isn't DT a PG? Isn't Van Lit a PG?

Reply #651440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 games better and a finals appearance
Dont know if the woman would have spent 60k?
Import was injured the whole year.

Reply #651443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Swept in the 1st round of the finals

import played 24 games and averaged over 30 minutes a game, I dont think she was injured

Give the 2015 long standing loyal players just 1 import and i'm sure they would have won 3 more games and made finals too

Reply #651447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league was 10 times better in 2016 and 2017 than it was in 2015.

Reply #651449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SOUNDS LIKE A DISGRUNTLED 2015 PLAYER

Reply #651451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nixy mmmmmmmm......
They had 4 x imports plus Ty for a few games.
On face value that team NEEDS to win the Chip.

But they did face Perth Redhagebacks, so Slammers were clearly 2nd best i reckon.

Still on paper 1/4s is terrible result.

Reply #651598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nix is going to be coaching girls, how hard could it be!

Reply #651610 | Report this post

Greg Gurr  
Years ago

Anywaysssss..... enough of this rubbish.

Anymore comings/goings/signings? Giants have picked up that Aussie/yank forward. Anyone else with some signings?

Reply #651616 | Report this post

Serious?  
Years ago

Please stop using Greg Gurr name on this site when it is not him. As a friend I request you stop please

Reply #651834 | Report this post

Kenny Mayne  
Years ago

It's a nickname.

Reply #651836 | Report this post

Helen of Troy  
Years ago

This thread seems to be coaches writing most of the time. I've never seen coaching be such a huge topic anywhere else

Reply #651884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seeing in the article for HC applications that Joe Alan plans to play on in 2018. How many games has he played now? He must be getting close to the record.

Reply #652598 | Report this post

Ayd  
Years ago

He's still good for a few elbows.

Reply #652647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hussey back to Wolves?

Reply #652651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cockburn throwing all their money at Hussey and Armour and Scott to head to the Den. Rumour has it they have lost Cummins. Will there be enough balls at the orange shed in the paddock?

Reply #652823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

armour and scott are not a successful partnership.
hussy and scott may work - the 3 of them together - no chance in hell of working.

Reply #652831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you lose Cummings? He was their one player worth building around. No disrespect to Gavin, but he wasn't someone you were going to build your teams future around. That's a massive loss if true.

Reply #652876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I call bullshit on Cockburn trying to get all those guys. They wouldn't pay for a second import so how do they afford all these guys.

Reply #652877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had heard Cockburn weren't even going to be able to afford one import let alone recruit others across. Cummings probably headed to East Perth with the wildcats connection

Reply #652883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams pay $$$.
Coburn doesnt pay players.
So its that simple, those that want to play for the club for free will stay around.
Those that dont, wont.

At times its a fair chunk of coin too.
You cant blame the young guys for leaving for $$$ there is no right or wrong here.

Reply #652886 | Report this post

Anom  
Years ago

Hussey apparently is going to be playing for redbacks

Reply #652897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what possible reason would Hussey want to go to Cockburn for if they can't pay him?

Reply #652913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hussey will go to whoever pays him the most
Cockburn won't pay anyone no imports this year.
Without Cummings, No imports and No Della ,Coach has little to work with .
Hard year ahead
Club with the most money will win

Reply #652987 | Report this post

Anom  
Years ago

Nik offered starting spot and Joel is ok to come off the bench

Reply #653100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow so Lako will be starting himself and Wagner coming off bench? That guys ego has no boundaries

Reply #653126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why wouldn't you play both together. Wags is not a scorer so could simply distribute.

Cockburn haven't paid anyone in a long time except Gavin and sometimes leaving the club isn't always about money.

Reply #653127 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Parsons was under the same restrictions as Nener and found ways to get around it that didn't cost the club money and still won them a championship
Up to Nener to find ways to keep players and improve the program

Reply #653133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get Marcus Goodes back!!

Reply #653164 | Report this post

Ayd  
Years ago

Yep Hussey at Redbacks confirmed. Makes you wonder where Nelson fits in? Doubt he'd want to come off the bench after this DP stint.

Reply #653214 | Report this post

Expect to see Cummings back in navy, white & BLACK next season. Loch & Lach set to become the league's new splash brothers...

Reply #653250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HUssey confirmed at redbacks.. where?

Reply #653271 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Pal is gonna need a point guard in Mandurah. I like him paired with a Hussey or even seva

Reply #653275 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Add a couple of imports and that could be a nice core, not to forget fun to watch

Reply #653276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seva has been offered money from mandurah.

Reply #653280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Cummings is back at the Tiger?

Reply #653386 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Ive heard nelson is leaving redbacks, looking for a bigger role

Reply #653387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched Pal play at lakeside tonight and I'm pretty impressed. I know it's just Thursday night comp but I haven't seen another local play above the rim as effortlessly as he displayed tonight. 5+ dunks easily with at least 3 alleys, some running on the break with guards. Whatever he's doing keep doing it big fella

Reply #653445 | Report this post

Hellen of Troy  
Years ago

Whatever he's doing, keep doing it.

He looks a lot slimmer so he must really be working hard. I wanna see him at full tilt next season, and in the sbl

Reply #653451 | Report this post

Tigers starting line-up for 2018...

1. Armour
2. Cummings
3. Scott
4. Bowie
5. Turner

Watch for Evans to get increased minutes behind Cummings/Scott and the emergence of Mitch Hampson and Luke Jackson...

Reply #653532 | Report this post

Sid  
Years ago

Yeah Nelson likely to end up in SEABL.

Reply #653636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol at that Tigers lineup. I guess making shit up is popular on this forum

Reply #653640 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why would they go with that line up which was piss poor in the finals this year? Adding a couple of kids won't get them anywhere.

Reply #653641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can confirm the Tigers are looking at:

1. Armour
2. Cummings
3. Scott
4. Bowie
5. IMPORT

Turner has already signed with the SEABL next year, hoping to make NBL as a naturalised player. They are looking at another dominant big that has played in this league 2 years ago.

Cody out with hip surgery, will hurt them with shot blocking and just a body in the paint.

Reply #653642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can confirm that there is a difference between looking at and actually having a player on your roster. That lineup for the Tigers is wrong. It's just a made up pipe dream.

Reply #653649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bowie at the 4 is silly

Reply #653656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bowie at the 4 isn't even the dumbest part of the post

Reply #653686 | Report this post

Greg Gurr  
Years ago

Senators will be hoping Cody Ellis can keep up his current NBL stats of 6mins per game. Will mean he can play as an Aussie instead of a restricted spot.

On a downside, they will likely lose Corban Wroe who will probably return home to the East (if he hasn't already) after his Wildcats experiment didn't really work out.

Reply #653721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just goes to show you how the SBL is on the decline. Cody Ellis can't get a game in the NBL but averages big numbers in the SBL.
SBL only had Dexter Kernich Drew and Cody Ellis from the NBL, the QBL has more NBL players. Only a few years ago you had players like Tom Jervis, Luke Nevil, Peter Crawfords in the SBL, but now you can't even get half decent imports.
SEABL, QBL and Big V arguably better than the SBL now. Sad days.

Reply #653739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just enjoy the players that are in the league now. You whinge like a little bitch over what the SBL doesn't have instead of enjoying what it does have. Heaps of great players to watch and some really good rivalries being built.

Reply #653763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ellis averages were 16 ,5 and 3 hardly big numbers, about 30th in scoring , 36th in boards in the league so for a starting power forward pretty average.

Reply #653768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just enjoy the players that are in the league now. You whinge like a little bitch over what the SBL doesn't have instead of enjoying what it does have. Heaps of great players to watch and some really good rivalries being built.

Reply #653769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't watch the SBL do you? You must be one of those old fucks who just complain about stuff on the interwebz because you are sad and miserable. Cody was one of 3 NBL players on his team. Avg of 16 in the league last season was the equivalent of about 20 in the previous season. Not bad on a team that ran an offense which involved more than 1 guy who took all the shots

Reply #653770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#653770 which reply / poster are are you abusing?

Reply #653774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the SBL is very average. No player gets any NBL interest. Its a bush league and is treated as such. SEABL is more competitive and professionally run.

Reply #653820 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How piss weak are these people/children who continually run down the SBL. SBL draws from 2 million - SEABL draws from 20 million and probably has sponsorship x 10.
On a per capita basis, WA produce a good number of NBL quality basketball players and punch above their weight.
But you don't have to like our "bush league" and nobody is interested in hearing you bad mouth it.
Perhaps you could put up some of your stats for the years you ripped the SBL apart.

Reply #653832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SBL is trash. If you like it that's fine but don't expect people to not tell you the truth about its quality just to make you feel better about it.

Reply #653845 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You are a fuckwit. If you like being a fuckwit that's fine, but don't expect people to not tell you the truth about your quality just to make you feel better about it.

Reply #653892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SBL is putrid. WA lags far behind.

Reply #653894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whinge whinge whinge. And yet all you SBL-haters... guess what. When the season rolls around, you still put up $10 every weekend to go abuse the referees and yell at coaching adjustments because you could do SO much better. If the SBL is putrid...what does that make you? grow up.

Reply #653946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't go because it's too boring.

Reply #653952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha
I don't go because it’s the worst form of basketball going around.

Reply #653955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So all the people bagging it don't actually go to games? Sounds about right.

Reply #653957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We stopped going.

Reply #653958 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Sbl might not have the same quality players as seabl but it's definitely has more passion within its players and teams approach. It has also come a long way and will keep improving with or without your support.

Reply #653963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Passion? How subjective.

Reply #653964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ranking:
SEABL
WASBL
QBL
BIGV
the rest

Reply #653993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QBL is 100 times better than the SBL ! you are just being silly if you think otherwise.
QBL had Torrey Craig, Jeremy Kendle, Tom Jervis, Mitch Young, Damon Heuir, Daniel Kickert, Shaun Bruce, Lucas Walker, Alex Loughton, William McDowell-White, Lance Hurdle, Brendan Teys, Stevie Weigh, Adam Gibson - and so many more!!!

SBL had Loughton for 4 games, Cody Ellis, Dexter Kernich and a retired Shawn Redhage who at 36 absolutely dominated the Bush League.

Reply #653999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QBL is far superior, some of you SBL lovers really need to get with reality.

Reply #654003 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Who cares how good the other leagues are. What do you think we should do, fly to Victoria or Queensland every weekend to watch a game.
We watch because it is here and we like it. If we didn't like it we wouldn't watch it.
You would be the same person/people who called the NBL a bush league until you got that stuck right back up your arse.
And I'm sorry none of our clubs thought you were good enough to make a WABL team.

Reply #654019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

top sbl players
Jackson Hussey - played 2 nbl games, 6 minutes and 3 turnovers.
Chudier Pal - averaged 7 points and 7 rebounds in seabl compared to 14 and 14 in sbl

Top qbl players
Actual nbl players

Yes while you like to watch it and it's available to you, don’t kid yourself by saying it’s better than the qbl or Seabl. It’s great you make do with what you have, but don’t get ahead of yourself. Your league is equal to waratah and the SA league, and I say that from experience

Reply #654093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't watch even though it is here and I hate it. If I liked it I'd watch it.

Reply #654095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the SA state league now having two imports I'd say that league is stronger too. Only 10 clubs so it's not watered down.

Reply #654105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its pretty clear and accepted that SEABL is the top league in AUS outside of the NBL. The examples you are using to discredit the SBL are pretty pathetic.

If you are saying Hussey is a top player in the SBL I would say OK, maybe a top 20 player. Chudier Pal perhaps a top 30 player and averaged 14 and 14 when SBL was still 48 mins.

SBL and QBL roughly on par, depending really on the talent of the imports year to year.

Ray Turner in 11 games in the QBL in 2016 averaged 22.5 pts and 12.3 rebounds. This year in the SBL, 25 pts and 12.3 rebounds.

Tom Jervis QBL this season 23ppg and 12.5 rpg... No longer have access to past season stats but I am confident in saying that on a 40min game basis Jervis' averages were lower than that in the SBL. The East Perth website has stats for the 2014 season in which he averahed 16.5 ppg and 11 rpg (after adjusting for the 48 min game length).

Alex Loughton 18ppg and 8rbg in the QBL this season... in his 4 games in the SBL he averaged 17ppg and 10rpg (granted he was in a reduced role but also played some poor teams during that stretch).

Redhage averaged 25 a game this year in the SBL and I'd say he'd pretty much replicate that in the QBL.

Finally of the NBL players who played QBL last season this is how many games they each played:
Craig - 10
Jervis - 12
Young - 12
Kickert - 5
Bruce - 21
Walker - 20
Loughton - 8
Teys - 1
Weigh - 9
Gibson - 9
Weeks - 15

That is less than half the season for most.

However you spin the two leagues (QBL and SBL) are not that far apart.. despite what some posters here may believe.

Reply #654113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep spinning it SBL is at Waratah level not QBL.

Reply #654131 | Report this post

Loveforthegame  
Years ago

Would love to know who the chumps are talking trash. They stopped going to watch. But I would love to know when and who they played for? Would be rather interesting to see them actually post their names and see how good they were.

The sbls top teams are just on par with other teams around Australia. It's the bottom half of the league that isn’t as good as some of the other leagues. Would never find a kalamunda style team in The seabl but sorry to say there are crap teams in ever league.

By all means post your name and would love to see them on a court.

Reply #654134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do they have to be players? Fans can have an opinion.

Reply #654135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seabl
QBL
Premier league SA
Big v champ
Sbl
Waratah

That's the order imo

Reply #654138 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I call bs on your order. Sa premier league is weak and the order should probably be seabl
Big v
Qbl
Sbl
Sa pl
Waratah

Reply #654139 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

The sbl will always struggle to get major talent to play here simply due to accessibility. Players use the off season leagues to get extra coin so there's no point in moving so far away just to get a bit more $$

Reply #654140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive LOL at BigV being anywhere near SBL level. Same for any SA league. LOL

Seabl
SBL/QBL AT BEST ON PAR. Sbl prob a bit better
The rest

Reply #654151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No chance SBL is QBL level. I would have SA on par with SBL or slightly ahead. Better NBL guys involved.

Reply #654156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it comes down to the quality of imports that are bought out for the season and also how many NBL players decide to suit up for the off-season.
just about all of the 36ers local talent play in SA . also a lot of NBL talent in the QBL. SBL has miminal NBL talent suiting up. redhage,ellis bragg.
I think it depends on the year , its a pointless argument anyway.
we don't we have the grand finalists from each state league playoff - top two teams from each state.

Reply #654159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way SBL is at QBL level. Some of you SBL fanboys need to get with reality.

Reply #654166 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

There are six 2nd-tier leagues in Australia. At the moment I would rank them as:

1. SEABL
2. QBL
3. SBL
4. BigV & SA Premier League
6. Waratah

1. SEABL
Obviously the best league in Australia under the NBL. Has been for a long time and will continue to do so. That said, the best teams in the SEABL are a notch above the QBL/SBL, but there are also a number of SEABL teams who would be middle-of-the-road in the QBL and SBL.

2. QBL
If you take the NBL-Aussies out of the equation then both the QBL and SBL are on par with each other. And that has been the case for a while now. The reason that the QBL is half a notch above the SBL is simply because of the NBL Aussies that play in the QBL. There's 3 times as many of them!!

Over the last couple of years the QBL has seen a record number of NBL Australians playing in it. This is mainly due to location - the QBL will draw these players from the Taipans, Bullets, Crocs (when they were in the NBL), Kings, Hawks etc etc. On the other hand the SBL will generally only see Wildcats Aussies playing in it.

3. SBL
See above.

4. BigV & SA Premier League
Up until a year ago the BigV had it over the Premier League (PL). However with the PL going from one import to two last year, both leagues have evened up. The BigV has better Aussie players, but this is countered by half the BigV teams only having one import.

6. Waratah
Enough said.

Reply #654167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great post Lukosius. You love the SBL but at the same time aren't delusional like the others.

Reply #654169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume those NBL players who play QBL and average over 10 mins a game in the NBL are still considered "restricted players", as is the case in the SBL? In that case each team is still limited to 2 restricted players. Many of the imports who play SBL or QBL if they were locals, would definitely be good enough play NBL. For example, a Dwayne Benjamin or Jacob Holman are as good a players as Mitch Young or Steven Weigh. I don't think a Brendan Teys would be averaging 25ppg in the SBL like Tre Nichols.

The difference is really then who has the better caliber "third tier" local, but unrestricted players.

Reply #654177 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

The QBL's restricted player situation is a bit more complex than the SBL's. In addition to a restricted player policy, the QBL also has a 'points system' in place, similar to what the NBL had a couple of years ago. This can have a significant effect on putting together a roster as teams only have a certain amount of points to use.

So when trying to compare the QBL with the SBL in this case, we are really comparing apples with oranges (or pineapples).

Reply #654183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ well that further strengthens the argument that the 2 leagues are roughly similar. Regardless of the extra NBL players, the QBL teams can only have 2 restricted players (same as SBL). They are further limited by points.

Reply #654198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any news on your coach lukosius ? or further additions to your squad.
every team must be looking for the imports at the moment, anyone signed any at all.

Reply #654200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QBL > SBL

Reply #654202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would go SBL, followed by Big V and SA PL, with QBL and Warratah bringing up the rear.

Reply #654205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QBL can't be at the rear with Waratah. Unless you're retarded.

Reply #654207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is teams running around in SBL that couldnt beat a few teams at Lakeside A grade.
That is bad for any league!

Reply #654210 | Report this post

Curious baller  
Years ago

On the topic of leagues what are your guys thoughts on the English BBL compared to SBL. Mike vigor averaging 9-5-5 but was only averaging 11 in SBL. Maybe the SBL isn't as bad as u think...?

Reply #654245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's because British Basketball League is woeful. SBL yes is on par or better than that joke of a league.

Reply #654248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mm tight between SBL and QBL but I give SBL the slight edge by the length of a Tom Jervis dick

Reply #654250 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I give the QBL a slight edge due to the fact Townsville Cairns use it as a develpment league and the Rockhamptons and Mackays have huge budgets. Your Mooroochadores and Central Coast and Brisbane teams are right on par with most SBL teams.

Reply #654262 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Common sense is starting to prevail again I see. A few butthurt people were ripping the sbl to shreds on shallow grounds.

Reply #654270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QBL is far better.

Reply #654271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sbl is trash, always is

Reply #654274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns, Townsville and Mackay would finish 1, 2 and 3 in SBL.

Reply #654276 | Report this post

my2cents  
Years ago

Enough, geez can we just get back to posting whats happening in SBL rather than brave anonymous posters, some, who by their own admission don't even watch SBL, engaging in petty schoolboy "mine is better than yours" stuff.

Reply #654279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It all started with SBL fanboys ranking their league too highly and when called out getting way too defensive over it. Not sorry for calling them out on it.

Those northern QLD sides would rip shreds out of even the top SBL side which makes the delusional SBL comments even more ridiculous.

Reply #654281 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Yes I agree the Northern QLD sides would be dominant in the SBL there is no arguing that point because they already dominate the QBL lol it's all the other teams that are all about the same.

Reply #654303 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

A new November thread is up-and-running....

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/42077-wa-sbl-november-2017

Reply #654424 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:02 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754