Curtley
Years ago

NBA Scraps East-West All Star Game Format

To me the old format needed revamping but I think the new format stinks.

The NBA All-Star Game is switching formats this season, as two captains will select the teams without regard to which conferences the players play in, the league announced Tuesday.

The players who win the fan vote from each conference will be the captains.

There will still be 12 players selected from each conference for the game in Los Angeles on Feb. 18. Five players from each conference will be selected as starters, with the fan vote being worth 50 percent, player vote worth 25 percent and media vote worth 25 percent. Seven reserves for each team will be picked by each conference's head coaches.

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/20905491/nba-all-star-game-switch-formats-captains-pick-team-conference-affiliations

Topic #41865 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Old format was fine for me except the East wasn't competitive. So now they've finally made a crappy change to mask the East's weakness.

Reply #648561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe they've scrapped east/west teams but not east/west selections. Surely the fact that the list of all-star candidates out west looks like:

Curry, Durant, Green
Paul, Harden
Westbrook, George, Melo
Leonard
Griffin
Davis, Cousins
Butler, Towns
Lillard, McCollum
Gobert

Plus at least 4-5 more guys who would not look out of place on the east list, which is probably:

Lebron, Love
Antetokounmpo
Wall, Beal
Porzingis
Embiid
Hayward, Irving, Horford
Dragic, Whiteside
Lowry, Derozan

How many of those guys would get a look in the West? Lebron and Antetokounmpo are the only ones who I think would definitely make the west team, though personally I'd include Wall.

It's just not an all-star game if you've got the 15 best guys in the league and then 30th-39th.

Reply #648590 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I think it should work like State of Origin, if you grew up in the East, you're eligible for them, same with the West. Superstar Europeans and Africans play for the West and all other continents play for the East.

Reply #648713 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

I'd like a USA vs internationals game. USA would probably dominate but would add interest

Reply #648955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

USA v Internationals would be close if you took out a few of the US's top players, otherwise no contest. Lebron, Steph, Westbrook, KD, Harden, Kawhi. 6 best players in the league all suit up for the US. Give it a few years and Wiggins, Towns, Antetokounmpo, Embiid, Simmons, Porzingis, Gobert, Doncic if he lives up to the hype - yeah, that split would probably work. But I think it's at least 3 years away. And the league would want to be pretty confident that there was enough depth and consistency in the international group for that format to work every year.

I don't think state of origin would work. Too much geographic spread for it to be a real connection, it only works on a conference basis because they play in those conferences all season and through the playoffs. The NBA itself has a reasonable east/west divide. The US has east/west/south/middle/urban/rural divides.

Reply #649258 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:15 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754