Anony-Mouse
Years ago

WNBL to AFLW

Have many players besides Erin Phillips and Alison Downie played both WNBL and AFLW? Are there others?
Also what crop of current players do you think would be able to transition? Surely Blicavs would make for a great AFLW player?

Please note I am not saying they SHOULD leave the WNBL just wondering on the types of player you guys think could work well in both.

Topic #41872 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage could ruck, mobility around ground might be an issue

Reply #648605 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Cambage already stated the grounds too big for her.....think a basketball crt is stretching it at times LOL

Reply #648606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey Samuels
Stacey Barr

Reply #648608 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Ebony Antonio - Fremantle (Bendigo/Perth)
Anne Hatchard - Adelaide (Adelaide)
Kerryn Harrington - Carlton (Bulleen/Bendigo)
Monique Conti - to be drafted, likely 1st round pick though (Melbourne)
Chloe Molloy - to be drafted, likely 1st pick overall (Melbourne DP)
Chantella Perera - potentially drafted / Hawthorn state league (Bendigo)
Jess Bibby - GWS (Canberra)
Emma McKenzie - potentially drafted (Townsville)

I think you'll see many more cross over in the next few years to be honest, basketball skills are quite transferrable to the footy field. You've got your lateral movements, ball handling reflexes and just general athleticism and mobility as a base, all they really need to be taught is how to kick the footy and tactics/positioning. When they're surrounded by professional coaches they can actually build their game perfectly, as they aren't coming to the club with pre-existing bad habits from juniors.

I think Abby Bishop was one who was courted quite heavily by the Brisbane AFLW team, so the league has certainly identified basketballers as those to target. Although in saying that, I think that the WNBL players coming from a more professional environment than the footballers at this point in time means that their benefits of experience in a professional environment will diminish over time and the true footballers will be selected over token code hoppers.

In terms of who I think could switch codes, I reckon almost anyone in the league could. Height is something the AFLW lacks, iirc Downie was the tallest player in the league last year, so anyone who brings height and athleticism would be almost guaranteed success. Zitina Aokuso would be one who springs to mind, tall but extremely quick and athletic and could probably take a solid hanger given her dunking ability.

Reply #648612 | Report this post

Anony-Mouse  
Years ago

Ahhh yes forgot about Jess Bibby, obviously! But thank you for supplying that list. I am sure there would be many who could transition, but you're right, having height and athleticism are definitely requirements given some of the AFLW games I have watched.

Reply #649134 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

More added to the list through today's AFLW draft
- Chloe Molloy (3rd overall pick) - Pies
- Monique Conti (4th) - Bulldogs
- Tegan Cunningham (22nd) - Demons

Reply #651344 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Didn't even know Cunningham was playing footy! Will likely be a good get for Melbourne. Absolutely stoked Molloy got to my Pies

Reply #651360 | Report this post

Anony-Mouse  
Years ago

I agree, think Cunningham could really transition nicely into footy!

Reply #655027 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree, she definitely plays hoops with a bit of mongrel that should hold her in good stead.

Reply #655041 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Erin Phillips has been having another tremendous AFLW season. Regular season is now over, and last night she picked up the Coaches Association Player of the Year award.

The reason I bring it up though is that Monique Conti got 4th place, so her AFLW career is clearly going well too. Will be interesting to see how long she stays as a 2-sport player.

Reply #738995 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Much greater likelihood of significant injury playing AFLW than WNBL. Erin Phillips played top grade basketball for over a decade. Yet 2 seasons into the AFLW she develops a major leg injury. Phillips was nearing the end of her pro basketball career; Conti is at the beginning. (Don't do it girl!)

Reply #739034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conti is far more suited to AWFL than basketball, she should follow Chloe Molloys lead and keep it as her main priority, her time at boomers was wasted this season, can't see it improving next either

Reply #739050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jess Foley

Reply #739057 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Looks very much like Erin just did her ACL in the grand final :(
... in front of a crowd of 53k

Crows cruising to victory so another title for her, and Jess Foley will get her first one after an impressive debut season.
WNBL small forwards seem to make good AFLW rucks.

Reply #739925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh that's not great news for Erin Philips, hope it’s not the case

Reply #739929 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

She was just interviewed, and confirmed it was an ACL. Her left knee (the one she hadn't done)
Said she's still hoping to play on. As she should considering the level she's playing at. Fingers crossed for her.

Reply #739931 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

WNBL to ACL.

Reply #739976 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:57 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754