Taipans v Hawks October 6th

Cairns Taipans v Illawarra Hawks

Friday October 6th 6:30pm Eastern Standard Time

Where: Cairns Convention Centre

Tickets and Membership: taipans.com

Television: Live on Foxtel, FOX Sports 503 www.foxtel.com.au
Delayed on ABC 11:00pm

Streaming: nbl.tv

My thoughts: should be another interesting game. I think it will be close but I think the Hawks can pinch this one.

Topic #41877 | Report this topic

CT  
Years ago

I'm calling it: Q1 6:30. First Loughton fist pump.

Reply #648866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need Hawks to get this one... $$

Reply #648975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting that you can only bet on a player to get over X rebounds/points/assists this season instead of also the under X like previous years. An attempt to stop any match fixing?

Reply #648977 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surprised the Hawks are not favourites. I know the Taipans are at home, but they're down an import? Would've thought Illawarra have one of the better balanced line-ups in the league this year.

Reply #649005 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@Isaac. The three Taipans imports are Scoochie Smith, Jerry Evans Jr and Nnanna Egwu. Are you counting Evans out because he's just arrived, or did you forget one?

Reply #649008 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Just to clarify Aussie's OP, game time is 6:30pm Qld time, which is of course 7:30pm AEDT.

Reply #649016 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hawks

Reply #649017 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hawks should take it, but always tough in Qld.

Reply #649024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone getting a live stream of this? I've managed to log in to nbl.tv, and chosen the game, and I'm just getting the spinning circle, suggesting it's loading, but no game, as yet.

Reply #649055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No stream here. I can watch other nbl.tv content, but not the live game.

Reply #649056 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

All dunks and layups so far.

Reply #649058 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not sure about Cairns' new "Iso Weigh" offense...

Reply #649062 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

To his credit Jawai looks noticeably slimmer than he did last season.

Reply #649063 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Is it compulsory to call a foul on every play?

Reply #649064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone getting a live stream of this? I've managed to log in to nbl.tv, and chosen the game, and I'm just getting the spinning circle, suggesting it's loading, but no game, as yet.

Try this link, copied from Melbourne / Adelaide thread:

http://pages.nbl.com.au/tv/

Reply #649066 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Best Jawai has looked in years.

Reply #649067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing's working, lucky it's $5 bucks a month.

Reply #649069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

11pm replay on ABC ;)

Reply #649071 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Potty mouth Fearney on the sideline mic :D. When will they ever learn? /rolleyes

Reply #649072 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

...and Jawai is injured...

Reply #649073 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I reckon Nate need to lose at least 5 more kilos to stay healthy.

Reply #649074 | Report this post

Fool  
Years ago

Snakes current gameplan seems a little over-reliant on jawai. Could be an issue

Reply #649081 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I get Fearne not being happy with Scoochie leaving Clarke wide open on that one possession in the 3rd, but sometimes you just have to let guys play through it... not having a PG on the floor is hurting them, lucky to be only down 4.

Reply #649085 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's Fearne he's always been too stubborn for his own good.

Reply #649087 | Report this post

Fool  
Years ago

Big time play from loughton there to win the game

Reply #649088 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

lol... fun game, but man, some bad mistakes from both teams these last 15 seconds.

And props to Loughton. I've been counting him out for about 3 seasons straight now, and he had a hell of a game tonight.

Reply #649090 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks might've got their import mix sorted finally? Good signs from the two new guys, and Rotnei was great.

Reply #649110 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

AngusH you're not the only one who has counted Loughton out for years. He's a man who gives his heart every time he hits the floor, and should get more respect for his skill as well as his endeavour.

That was a pretty good win for the Snakes, although they made too many mistakes.

I don't think Fearne benched Smith only for his lapse against Clarke. He wasn't doing enough with the ball. He will need to be a lot more aggressive looking to penetrate or shoot, because we weren't getting good shots when he was being passive.

Great game from McCarron. He will be a really good player this year, probably very valuable for a fantasy league team.

Predominately it was our bigs that got the job done, with big games from Loughton, Jawai and Egwu. AJ was the best of the visitors and could very easily have been adjudged mvp, I reckon.

Reply #649112 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Cairns imports wouldn't want to combine for 14 points every game.
Loughton was outstanding

Reply #649113 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Did Loughton just play the best game of his career at the ripe old age of 36?

Ok he's 34... But still, an old fart. And what a game.

Still, if I'm a Hawks fan I'm very excited about this season. Conger and Johnson give them as different look. More flexibility and more athleticism.

They may well have patched up some weaknesses from last season by getting a bigger, more athletic, more versatile wing. They are still one quality player short compared to say United, but they are very very deep, well coached, and their roster has a better balance to it now that they've got Conger.

Reply #649119 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And yeah I was miffed by that reffing too. A lot of very soft calls.

As far as Cairns goes, they did let some dunks through but late they played some good pressure D.

McCarron is now 25 and has played 3 pro seasons in his 2 years since leaving college. He's at the right experience and age profile where he might well take a step forward this season. And he was very good tonight. Jawai is in good shape (injury notwithstanding). Gliddon is always going to be solid. Too early on Smith. But Cairns are always competitive under Fearne and showed real spirit tonight. Jawai was killing it, I thought they'd have no answers once he went off. How wrong, great game

Reply #649120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/nbl_dt/status/916399857794916352

Reply #649138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Golden Arches were missing on the Cairns & Illawarra uniforms last night. They looked like they had been covered over following the HJs announcement.

Reply #649153 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Anon #649138 has pointed out Demetrius Conger's stat line showing 0-1 3 pts made. He took a shot off a screen when his defender went under the screen, which went in.

I remember it happening, and it being called a 3 by the commentators. Does anyone remember what stage of the game it happened?

It's possible the refs called it 2. I watched on nbl.tv at fairly low res, and I thought it was 3. Maybe he had a foot on the line. The Hawks didn't kick up a fuss, and still haven't, AFAIK.

What would the NBL do if this was proven to be a mistake? I think the result would stand. There's no rule allowing a rematch or extra time - Cairns suffered that when Adelaide ran from the building with a win when there was still time on the clock in Cairns many years ago.

Reply #649157 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

I could not see a foul on Martin in that last play. Loughton made it look bad.

Reply #649178 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Clipped him on the head, he knew it and started looking for a hole to climb into rather than arguing it!

Reply #649184 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"To his credit Jawai looks noticeably slimmer than he did last season."

I'm surprised there wasn't more talk about this on here in the off-season.

Reply #649186 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Freethrows, the argument was that Dusty Rychart let the shot go after the siren, rather than there being time left on the clock.

Reply #649187 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

You had to go and bring up that Adelaide game Freethrows.....

I'd finally managed to put that behind me...

Reply #649190 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

After the shot clock siren*

Reply #649195 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Sorry guys, I had to bring it up due to relevance (slight). Anyway, can anyone tell me

Reply #649277 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

what happened to Conger's shot?

Reply #649278 | Report this post

miracle.touch  
Years ago

I did notice Vaughn reviewing something on the score bench monitor late in the game... maybe it was the Conger shot?

Reply #649284 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

A made three has been removed from Clarke's line and added to Conger's.

Reply #649322 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

was Rot's show about 5 minutes into the 2nd qtr, foot was on the line. Originally got called a 3 but got changed about 4 plays later during a foul stoppage.

Reply #649327 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Koberulz, that's what I wanted to know.
Thanks.

Reply #649341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the storey about Weigh carrying s load in the absence of Carrerra?
Looked a lot like Loughton again, to me.

Reply #649500 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:55 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754