Anonymous
Years ago

I like Homicide's commentary

Lot's of complainers that don't like his style.

While I don't think he's the greatest, and execution may not be fantastic, I enjoy his unfiltered thoughts.

His reaction to Coach Gleeson letting Cotton score 45 in a grand final for example.

With time I think he could be a great colour commentator once he iron's out the kinks.

Topic #41882 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Agree. I liked the announcement of his return from the start

Reply #648845 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I like it when he's not talking.

Reply #648849 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

His reaction to Coach Gleeson letting Cotton score 45 in a grand final for example.
Was to whine about Gleeson restricting him because God forbid anything going on be more important than him.

He also had no idea Ware and Andersen played in the NBL last year.

He's by far the worst commentator the league has ever had.

Reply #648854 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ahhhh give 'im a chance

Reply #648862 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"and you know what's good about those nba trips? Frequent flyer points maaannn! And everything the Nbl does is executive class, baby"

Thanks for that insight you utter, utter twat.

Reply #648863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CT, go play monopoly in your room. It's about entertainment!

Reply #648871 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I wasn't aware spending two hours wanting to put my very expensive remote through my even more expensive television counted as 'entertainment'.

He reminds me of Donald Trump. Can talk for ages without actually ever saying anything, and the only substantive things he does say reveal a cluelessness that ought to make him ineligible for his job or serve no other purpose than inflating his already building-sized ego.

Reply #648873 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Yeah, no kidding

Reply #648875 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Tell me more about this remote Kobe!

Reply #648878 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Reply #648879 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haha aptly said Kobe - Homicide just talks sh*t and in an annoying way at that

Reply #648882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would understand the appointment if he was some kind of NBL legend but he's not. Awful choice.

Reply #648886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought his commentary was good. Will get better as season goes on. I can think of a lot worse

Reply #648895 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hate being a broken record about it, but he's the one commentator that leaves me muting the broadcast. Literally. I can't stand that sports bluster. And it's frustrating because we have loads of options, including past players who bring character and knowledge, like Heal, Rucker, Harvey, etc.

I can't comprehend his appointment. Unless there are thousands of teenagers who clamour for him?

Reply #648913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a teenager and I love his opinions.

You need to read between the lines with corey. Understand where he's coming from. Understand his background. Appreciate his journey and then u get where he is coming from and why he says what he says.

It's not always insightful but there's a background to it.

U can't take it on face value. If you do you're just being lazy.

Reply #648915 | Report this post

Bobby  
Years ago

He is OK, but looks as though he is just interested in money and not the league. You'd think if he was passionate about NBL he would of known that Cotton dropped 45pts in the grand final, and would of known other things too. He doesn't care about the league at all and only cares about his wallet.

A colour commentator should be the one giving insights into the NBL and interesting stats and facts. That's why colour commentators are ex-players/coaches most of the time, he fails to provide anything substantive for the viewers and is only there to provide a chin wag.

Reply #648916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simple Isaac. There's two reasons. One is that LK has a hard-on for him. Loves his style. And it's LK's league, so what he says, goes. Second, the league's entire broadcast strategy revolves around greater social media engagement. If you noticed last night, there were constant calls by Casey to 'get involved in the conversation'.

They believe that Homicide (similar to Heal) is the ultimate love him or hate him guy. And people like that tend to get a spirited conversation happening on social media. The NBL believes that increased social media discourse/interest equates to greater TV ratings. Which is of course the end game.

Personally, I think Williams is incredibly unprofessional, a total self-promoter, and adds nothing to the broadcast from either an interest level or analytical level. He's just there to be a cartoon character, and if the league really wants to be thought of as a serious player with the general sports public, the kind of crap that Williams spews and his almost comical lack of knowledge about the NBL isn't going to get it done.

Reply #648919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You need to read between the lines with corey. Understand where he's coming from. Understand his background. Appreciate his journey and then u get where he is coming from and why he says what he says.

It's not always insightful but there's a background to it.

U can't take it on face value. If you do you're just being lazy."

Just like Corey's commentary, this post is meaningless and says nothing useful.

Reply #648921 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

To see colour commentary done really well, watch an NFL broadcast. Ex players usually, who really know the game, know the people playing and coaching the game, provide insightful analysis of individual plays and tactical status of the game. They also have clearly done their research and provide anecdotes and history about players pre NFL as well as about historical precedents. That said, they're full time, professional sports commentators in the sport and I think that's what shows with the use of ex-players and coaches in NBL coverage. They simply rely on their experience, which rapidly becomes out of date and less relevant as new players enter the league and new fans start following the sport.

Personally, NBL commentators have never added a lot of value to my watching of the game. They generally tell you what you can see for yourself and mostly provide little insight into the tactics and thinking of players and coaches. Williams is just a more extreme example of that. Too much sizzle and not enough steak.

Reply #648930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u need to understand his jounrey b4 u say he is a bad commntator or else ur ignorant

Reply #648932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When he said "Hodgson you need to stay in your lane and stick to the mid range jumper instead of going to the basket" I realised quickly he doesn't care about watching the league and is in it for the money.

Reply #648936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he only sed that bcos of his journey which u need to appreciate

Reply #648937 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

I haven't heard his commentary, so go nowhere near that, but in the context of this discussion the statement about 'understanding his journey' is nonsense.

As a commentator he needs to be judged on his performance in that role, not whether he has had a hard life [which I gather is the implication] or whatever.

To go down the 'understanding his journey' line is to suggest that every listener/watcher of any sport/activity needs to research and understand the life story of every radio or TV commentator he or she encounters, which is a nonsense ... and an impossibility, when you include 'understand'.

The attributes and effectiveness of a commentator can - should, anyway - be judged only on his or her performance in that role; not whether they have had a hard life, have played or coached the game/activity, are married or single, young or old ...

Reply #648938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On one hand, yes he should know more about the league. If a player was in it last season or who was the Grand Final MVP and who dropped 45.

He should have been briefed. Maybe he was.

On the other hand, much like the casual viewer, he's discovering things as it unfolds and that is interesting.

"oh Cotton dropped 45? Gleeson letting the imports play now"

I find that comment interesting and sparks conversation.

Yes Williams has beef with Trev, but who cares. It's about entertainment.

There are sports journo's who's entire career are based of annoying fans. Stephen A Smith, Skip etc.

They do it for a reaction... and everyone here is reacting.

Reply #648942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats like saying trolls have a purpose because they encourage people to respond.

Reply #648944 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Appreciate his journey and then u get where he is coming from and why he says what he says.
Pop's already said what I was going to say, but this is a bit ridiculous. The league and journos often play up a colourful history of imports as exotic, but as a concession for commentary, it's irrelevant.

Empty rhetoric is exactly that. It's cheap and without research.

No doubt shock jocks get attention, but I can't stand them, run in the other direction, and think they're a net negative for society.

I don't think Homicide is in that basket, but "it gets the people talking..." as an argument puts it on that spectrum.

Reply #648948 | Report this post

Hespect  
Years ago

I have high expectations of commentators, they include knowing the 10 best players in the league.

I think he would be fine in small doses interviewing coaches/celebrities during the game.

He has had plenty of opportunities in the commentary box and he simply isn't good at the job and hasn't put the in work to improve.

Reply #648956 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yeah but Homicide has a connection from LA that tells him Casper Ware is legit.

Reply #648960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I told you!!

Reply #648961 | Report this post

Hespect  
Years ago

Bad Santa knows hoops!!

Reply #648963 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

He needs to do courtside and half time interviews only.

Very amateurish.

Reply #648966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a slap in the face to his colleagues and the fans of the league when he doesn't even pretend to know about the league. It's like a giant "f**k you" to us all.

Reply #648967 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

The only thing more over the top than this clown is KR's $289 remote :)

Reply #648968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's dreadful.

Reply #648986 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

When he said "Hodgson you need to stay in your lane and stick to the mid range jumper instead of going to the basket"
He actually said "Nathan Hodgson, you need to stay in your lane."

Guy has no clue.

Reply #649011 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think it goes beyond research or caring about the league - I just think Homicide is not particularly intelligent overall. He probably went through his basketball career on his natural instincts but doesn't have the analytical capacity to talk too deeply about it, outside of "dudes from the west coast shoot jump shots," or whatever it was he said.

But having said that I think he could have a role in the broadcast but they've just put him in the wrong one. He should be something of a hype man and do sideline interviews with fans and sometimes coaches (it was hilarious to see him go straight to the Robert's issue with Joey in the socially oblivious way that he did). I also like his Ladbrokes ad. In a role like that he might thrive.

I can see what they're trying to do with Homicide, and maybe with some tinkering they'll find a spot for him, but I hope they're not married to the idea of him as an actual commentator because he isn't cut out for that.

Reply #649026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The interview with cotton at half time where he had to start by saying that he was a former Mvp was sickening, I'll put with all the othe,r commentators but I wish homicide would go back to New York.

Reply #649255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is crap. Like Kobe, I was close to throwing something, but at my cheap tv. Spent most of the broadcast telling him to shut up every time he spoke. He commentates like a d..knead and I think it's natural.

Reply #649291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thankfully John Casey was leading tonight because flanking him tonight were two pieces of crap from polar opposites of the personality spectrum.

Reply #649293 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Must say I'm extremely surprised by the consensus reaction in this thread. Presumably we all have a common interest in seeing basketball grow in this country. And if it does, it will be on the back of guys like homicide and his daddy LK, not john fkn casey. Honestly, john Casey is "cute" at best but dude won't be the reason 8-16 year olds are picking a ball up.

Anon few posts up spoke the truth - homicide is a LK appointment through and through and his sole purpose is to increase the exposure of the league. See -
recurring appearance from homicide on weds nights 'bill and boz show' where he plugged LK and his insta numerous times, post game interview with cotton, plugging his gram too, face of nbl fantasy.

I say all this despite being in complete agreement with you haters that his commentary is 'amateurish.' Sure, but if you can't see past that to appreciate the broader strategy at play, you guys deserve for the NBL to remain as shit as it has been these past 10 or so years. So the next time Homicide says something to offend the stat geeks amongst you, maybe just have a laugh at his poor grammar and phrasing then move on to enjoying the games. Which, by the way, have been great in this first round.

Reply #649357 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I thought Redhage did well, personally. The cross to him during Countdown was absolute garbage and he wasn't great in the pre-game and halftime segments, but during the game itself I enjoyed his work.

Yeah, his delivery is lacking, but he at least knows what he's talking about. Easily the best Perth-based color guy since John Gardiner.

Reply #649488 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I find Redhage hard to listen to for any longer than about 10 seconds, knowledgeable or not.

Reply #649496 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Recharge is Perth so I don't like him

Reply #649497 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:12 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754