Tickets and Membership: www.sydneykings.com

Television: Foxtel, FOX Sports 503 www.foxtel.com.au
SBS VICELAND

Streaming: nbl.tv

Thoughts: It should be a close one but 36ers should just get over the line

Topic #41889 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Minus Roberts, maybe the one side we aren't undersized against. Hopefully the Kings aren't jet lagged and it's another close one.

Reply #649100 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Kings by 11.

Reply #649177 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Kings are loaded this season. We have 11 NBA players on the roster. Go Kings !!!!!!!!

Reply #649185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the Sixer away singlets plain or what?

Don't know whats worse, last year's camo or this white with nothing to indicate Sixers other than the word Adelaide.

Reply #649208 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Shorter was given the 2pts for Drmic's and-1 at 1:14 left in the 3rd http://www.fibalivestats.com/u/NBL/642573/pbp.html

Reply #649216 | Report this post

Jax66  
Years ago

These refs are outrageous!

Reply #649220 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This is what I expected in the odd game from Ramone Moore

Reply #649222 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Moore killed it.

I expected he would be well suited to Wright's system and it looks like he is.

Shorter did some nice things tonight. He's a big unit for a point guard too, combined with the athleticism of Sobey and Creek and an extra big to come, they will have a more physically imposing line up.

My early prediction is Adelaide are looking stronger than last season.

Reply #649226 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And yes refs calling the soft stuff. Early tone for the season?

If so good luck stopping talented scorers.
I'm Thinking of casper/cg43/Prather especially Prather going to the hoop

Reply #649227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can the commentary stop telling us how good Cadee is, did FA till bombing late in game when all to late.

Leslie, 24 minutes plus 9 when on the floor.
Cadee, 25 minutes minus 18 when on the floor.
Humphries 19 minutes minus 20 and 2 boards 3 turnovers
Pineau 6 minutes and 2 boards, and plus 0 needed more time.

If Newley or Lisch get hurt going to be a long season for Sydney.

Reply #649229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

-Strike 1!

-Watch this space!

Reply #649234 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Give credit to Sydney for staying with Adelaide most of the game. They looked jetlagged. Ellis looked good when he made good decisions, which don't include trying to post up Hodgson. Leslie could be good once settles into the NBL style of play.

The Kings will rely heavily on Newls and Lisch. Cadee is Cadee, don't expect anything different to previous years. For his sake, I hope Blanchfield can find himself a valuable role in the team.

Humphries and Pineau don't look NBL ready, and Singh just looked totally out of place. Thoseby should be their 11th man. They need to replace Singh with a big import.

Otherwise, it's gonna be a long season for the Crumbles.

Reply #649238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Can the commentary stop telling us how good Cadee is, did FA till bombing late in game when all to late"

Could not agree more. Heal and Harvey are always saying how good Cadee. Can't half tell there friends. He hit a few 3’s late and that is it period. He can’t stop a bus at a bus stop.

Reply #649241 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, jet lag definitely kicked in that 2nd half, but Moore and Shorter (awful carries aside) made key plays down the stretch and did enough to get the win.

Not too concerned. Humphries looks OK when the Kings aren't giving him the ball outside the arc and expecting him to make decisions with it.

Reply #649242 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Unfortunately, AngusH, the centre is going to get the ball above the circle in a high post offence. I thought Creek's decision to pull the chair out and let Humphries fall into the paint was pretty funny, by the way.

Reply #649244 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I would be happy if that scrapped the entire high post offense altogether to be honest. Well, as long as they don't bring the shuffle... We should be getting the ball to Ellis and Newley in the post a whole lot more than we are, and if we are going to rely on 3s like we do, I'd rather Humphries butt be 3 feet from the hoop to get boards.

Reply #649245 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

AngusH, you should have a word with Mr Gaze!

Reply #649252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only person AngusH should be having a talk with is a psychiatrist.

Reply #649253 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Zing!

Reply #649254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze can't coach. Kings off to their usual inept start.

Reply #649256 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Apart from the individual brilliance of Newley, Lisch and Cadee, the Kings looked ordinary. Ellis is good in the 4, but is deficient as a 5. He has been scouted and that spin to the right is predictable and well defended by Adelaide. Leslie looks ok, but so far does not look like a Cotton, Ware or Trice.. Humphries looks unsure with the ball, and some under 14 errors. Pineau is not NBL level and Garlepp should be getting more court time. Adelaide did not even play that well, missing an import and they still won. They scored way too easily in the paint and out rebounded the Kings 16-4 in the second half. Lack of depth showed as whenever the Kings' bench was on, they started losing. Time to get import centre JVG, otherwise it's going to be a long season.

Reply #649292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Are the Sixer away singlets plain or what?

Don't know whats worse, last year's camo or this white with nothing to indicate Sixers other than the word Adelaide."

Agreed, I much prefer the camo now TBH. Also thought this whilst watching Brisbane and Perth tonight. The league wide jersey scheme removes all character from the teams.

Reply #649294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze needs to start coaching his players rather than showing them his one dunk from back in the day on an endless loop.

Reply #649295 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Lisch has been unable to shoot well since probably the midway point of last season. He didn't even shoot .400 last year. His misses don't look good. FT make the stats look glossy.

Leslie's foul trouble was a major factor. He was great early. Chemistry still awful. Just a few memorable passes in the entire game from the Kings. They'll get better.

Reply #649335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How to fix the Kings in two steps. One, get an import PG. Leslie doesn't fit with this team. He can play, but he's a pure two/three, and they've already got plenty of those. Once again, Lisch is being asked to carry too much of a load. He's always been more effective off the ball. Yet VanWrongAgain has this ridiculous notion that Lisch is a point guard. Hes not. He's a great player, but not the floor leader this team needs desperately.

Two, dump the Indian, who is there purely for marketing purposes, and get an import big. Playing with two imports, the way this team is built, isn't getting this team anywhere near the playoffs. They need the size obviously, but mainly they need someone up front other than Ellis who is able to impact the game immediately. Humphries is too young, Pineau isn't going to be an offensive threat, and Singh is just big and has no business playing at NBL level.

It will be interesting to see what happens when this team starts out 0-3. They won't beat the Breakers in Auckland and I think the Hawks will flog them. Massive pressure on Gaze and JVG I would have thought.

Reply #649344 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Sixers looked solid. Are going to get some big scores as they get used to each other. Would have won that by 15+ but for Cadee making an appearance in the game and hitting those big 3's, and then giving the ball back with some sloppy turnovers. Nearly fell off my chair when Shorter hit 3ptr after seeing his shooting live against United. Nearly double digit assists and can actually defend which was the big downside of having Randle who's defence deficiencies were really highlighted against the Hawks in the finals last year as they targeted his non-defence.
Shorter can actually defend in the paint against bigger players and holds his position well, not letting them push him under the basket.

Reply #649345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney looked good on offense terrible on Defence. They need a big man as a third import - not necessarily a star but just a banger like say Holyfield.

Don't get what Garlepp has done to end up in the dog house - clearly better than Pineau, Thoseby and Singh imo. Expect him to be treated rubbish like Jeromie Hill was last season.

Like the look of Leslie just a shame foul trouble ruined him, and Ellis is a 4 NOT a 5. Lisch can play the 1 especially with Newley and Leslies ball handling ability. Blanchfield can play the 4 in spurts but not FULL TIME - had his best season in Townsville as a 2 - 3

Sydney need a balanced roster

Would run with this rotation
PG Lisch 25 Cadee 15
SG Leslie 25 Blanchfield 10 Lisch 5
SF Newley 30 Blanchfield 10
PF Ellis 25 - 30, Garlepp 5 - 10 Blanchfield 5
C Import 20, Humphries 20

Thought the Sixers looked good considering Hodgson ended up in foul trouble. However it was a good match up for them as Sydney aren't that strong inside Shorter and Deng were better than Thursday and Moore has been a good fit so far. Drmic has looked good and will expect Teys to be struggling for minutes soon due to him and Moore being an upgrade on Fergusson.

Adelaide will have an exceptionally deep team once the third import big comes in and finding minutes for everyone could be an issue but the constant rotation will suit their uptempo style. Would be awesome if they ended up with Hakim Warrick. Whoever they get needs to be able to play with DJ and Hodgson.

Reply #649346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers are a lot better on Defence without Randle as Shorter is 6 4 and strong this means they can switch a lot.

Reply #649349 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Sixers better both on defense and in depth this season and will only get better.

Reply #649381 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The import Adelaide are considering is quite interesting. Not what you would think of as a big, but can serve as a PF if need be.

Reply #649383 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Don't we have 8 SF's already though....

Reply #649407 | Report this post

Seb  
Years ago

Any further news on this 3rd import Isaac?

From what you have said, it doesn't fill me with confidence.

Reply #649568 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, sorry. But hope it comes through. I know it sounds like a mistake in theory given the SF/SG glut, but it could work. Decent enough rebounder.

Maybe the plan has evaporated, so who knows.

Reply #649623 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

So how many rounds do I have to wait to bring out the "I told you so"s?

Anons lineup seems a lot more reasonable and balanced but again, it just looked like a case of "pass it around outside until someone gets more open than anyone else" for the most part on Saturday, just lucky they managed to score 90+ points, but their defence was atrocious...

48-28 points in the paint to Adelaide... wow... everyone was just waltzing into the paint unchallenged... embarrassing...

Let's just hope that that particular statistic was down to jet-lag (although it happened from right at the tip off) and improves... but a lot of the problems extend beyond that...

Reply #649742 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The offence was built around the perimeter to open up driving cutting lanes (there are a lot of shuffle principles in it, which is a good thing), and in the first half it worked.

When they got tired in the second half it turned into pass around the perimeter and jack it up, which opened up Adelaide in transition and they just drove into the paint at will, especially past Cadee and Thoseby.

The Kings will win their fair share of regular season games, but the sad thing is had they just kept Maric in this squad they'd have a very balanced team now. Strange decision.

He'd also be great to mentor Humphries and Singh.

Reply #649746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way the team is balanced the Kings should've kept Maric and gone with a budget import wing instead of Pineau or Singh imo

Reply #649747 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

but the sad thing is had they just kept Maric in this squad they'd have a very balanced team now. Strange decision.

He'd also be great to mentor Humphries and Singh.

The way the team is balanced the Kings should've kept Maric and gone with a budget import wing instead of Pineau or Singh imo

This all sounds so familiar... from months ago...

Reply #649752 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Fatigue definitely played a part in the second half, but even without it, I doubt the Kings would've won that game. From what I saw, Adelaide committed numerous silly turnovers that made the game closer than it really was.

IMHO the team balance you guys are talking about isn't really a major problem. Its the coaching that's most problematic and its not only the X's and O's. Sadly, I've formed the opinion that Gaze has no clue how to utilise his players correctly.

Paul is correct that they will win their fair share of games as the players start to get used to each other and what Gaze wants to run. If they seriously want to contend for the championship, I think changes need to be made and preferably early in the season.

For all that talk about ditching the shuffle, its still there, albeit a simplified and expedited version of the old one. Gaze need to implement a lot more than what he's shown so far. I'd love to see more pick and rolls, particularly with Humphries and Leslie or Blanchfield.

He could try reading up on Tex Winter's bible and implement some triangle as well, particularly when Ellis is in the post. Compared to last season, he has enough offensive rebounders now to make that work.

Defensively, he needs to drill them hard on switching defence and stop fooling around with that small ball starting line-up. Its only going to put Ellis and Blanchfield in foul trouble and negate any offensive advantages he thinks he'll have.

Seriously, to put Kings fans out of their misery, just release Garlepp if you're not going to play him and go get Dunigan or similar import that can protect the rim. Ellis is an offensive stud that shouldn't be hampered with tough defensive assignment every night and the same goes with Blanchfield.

Reply #649768 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Dunigan was overrated a bit by fans because he threw down some mean dunks, but even with that said he would be perfect for Sydney.

He's been playing in the NBA-D for a couple of years, so might be enticed by a good pay cheque. He'd be awesome for Humprhies to practice against each day.

The Kings need to change up their rotations and have more bite coming off the bench, which you could do with Dunigan in the line-up. Blanchfield and Ellis at 3 and 4 are great rebounders, so play them initially with Humphries.

Humphries/Dunigan
Ellis/Pineau/Garlepp
Blanchfield/Newley
Leslie/Thoseby
Lisch/Cadee

That team has good depth and plenty of options when they go to the bench, where they were smashed by Adelaide last week.

It's like Gaze is just playing his five best players as the starters rather than thinking about how the team functions over 40 minutes.

Reply #649770 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

As much as it will cause an uproar among some Kings fans, I actually agree with your thinking of having Newley come off the bench paul. In fact, I'd even try to get Lisch to come off the bench as well if Cadee can hold the fort.

I reckon they could get away with a starting lineup of Cadee, Leslie, Blanchfield, Ellis and Humphries. Injecting Lisch and Newley would be a massive boost that can change the flow of the game. Both will still play 25-30 mins but coming off the bench may help them perform at peak efficiency in the 4th qtr.

As for why I kept bringing up Dunigan for them, I wasn't even thinking of his dunking prowess. I was thinking of what type of Centre would be the best to pair Ellis with. From what I saw during Ellis' stint in Kansas, he was most potent when paired with an athletic shotblocking, offensive rebounding, energetic 5.

Reply #649832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching the game and said put Teys on and he'll take the charge on Newley before he gets elevated.. next thing, he's on and did just that, although a 50/50 at full speed his impact defensively was immediate. Undervalued what he can do, remember the Ennis charge. Just sayin cause he cops alot of flack but does have value when used properly and seems Joey did it that last game.

Reply #649834 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Say what you will about the fatigue in the 2nd half, the lack of defense was there right from the tip off, so I think there are very little excuses for them at this point...

Sadly, I've formed the opinion that Gaze has no clue how to utilise his players correctly.

His subs, his line ups, and his persistence at times, is really just baffling, and painful to watch at times, even when he had Vickerman to be telling him otherwise last season...

It's like Gaze is just playing his five best players as the starters rather than thinking about how the team functions over 40 minutes.

This is spot on... it's like he gets his players on the court and then goes "right, you guys just do your things"...

I agree the rotations and even starting lineups really need looking at, but I just can't see either Lisch or Newls coming off the bench... I think either one of them coming off the bench to inject some intensity would be GREAT ala Rotnei at the Hawks, but the Kings are more about image than substance and I can't think that the management would be keen for their big profile and big budget players to start off the bench... Lisch might be up for it, he seems more like a team first player, but I doubt Newls would be happy for it even with starters minutes...

Dunigan is more a "state of mind" in that he's the type of player that is needed (and the thought of him playing for a team other the Wildcats is pretty fun) but it's not something that hasn't been talked to death in the off season...

It's all a matter of how long will the Kings management take to come to these logical decisions...

Reply #649844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's all a matter of how long will the Kings management take to come to these logical decisions

Not certain it's the Kings management, it's more the Kings manager, only one person gets a say there. Gazes coaching career could look woefull unless he takes control.

Reply #649861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Jeff van Wrongagain. He appointed Gaze and has a hand in signings.

Reply #649889 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

It's all a matter of how long will the Kings management take to come to these logical decisions...

Long enough to miss the finals?

It may actually turn out better to have a losing streak at the start that prompt changes, rather than have a win here and there that mask problems that may fester.

Reply #649953 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:55 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754