Anon
Years ago

SA Clubs leaving Basketball SA

I have heard a strong rumour that the 10 local clubs are moving away from Basketball SA, anyone know any more detail?

Topic #41912 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where to?

Reply #649627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moving to Mt Gambier??

Reply #649632 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What kind of thread is this supposed to be? ugh.

Reply #649638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they want to but can they? Doubt it.

Reply #649641 | Report this post

BN  
Years ago

Not b4 time imo
This thread seems to be about the concept of the ten clubs in Adelaide taking back some control on how they run the top tier comp.
basketball South Australia was originally BASA but they were saved by the SA government & since then should have stayed with its mantra of being the governing body instead of trying to be everything it is not

Reply #649649 | Report this post

Baseline shooter  
Years ago

I would be surprised if the clubs were moving away from BSA without some sort of consultation with their members, where would all the juniors play??

Reply #649653 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Odd timing with Hubbard replacement due. Surely they give the new person time to fix grievances.

Reply #649668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they revolt and move (start their own competition) I hope BA (And Sport and Rec SA) recognise the new group otherwise bye bye Junior National Tournaments, funding etc

Reply #649710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a push by a couple of clubs a few years back but majority stared clear.
If they do break away, where are they playing. Competition is desperate for stadium space Now with huge amount of teams, starplex is going to start hosting two courts on Thursdays to ease lower 16 grades.
So OP, in this rumour did you hear where the games are?

Reply #649723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely they would hire the stadiums as BSA would not be able to last without the hire fee.

There are also numerous other places to play games. Starplex, Mars, Adelaide Arena, Marion L&F centre.

BSA really only control half the stadiums

Reply #649725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you really see all ten clubs playing nicely together especially with some of the egos in that group

Reply #649729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Costs too much for arena and what happens when sixers play Friday. Starplex only give out two courts and centrals ain't part of this alleged breakaway group. Theres stadiums around eg ingle farm, Golden grove but like above poster said, too many egos, biggest lot of bs. Logistically who's going to organise schedules, hire these stadiums, supply referees etc. Clubs may not like a lot of bsa decisions, but need to find a way to come together (unlikely) and gain control and make bsa work for them not the other way around. Most of clubs won't even talk to each other, Norwood,Sturt and Forestville think they own leagues, basketball Australia won't recognize it, load of crap!!!

Reply #649739 | Report this post

Really?  
Years ago

Sturt do own and run a 50 team league on Saturday afternoons.

Southern and South do own and run an 80 team league run out of Morphettvale and Marion on Saturday afternoons.

Norwood do own and run a mini ball competition mid week and a Saturday competition.

Clubs have staff and organise and book a large number of stadiums so that wouldnt be an issue in getting people to do the work.

The only way to get BSA to work for the clubs is to pull out of their competition. To affect their financial bottom line so that the commission make better decisions.

Reply #649759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA own 3 of the 4 stadiums you mentioned. That may be problematic for you.

Reply #649767 | Report this post

Anony  
Years ago

I have heard this also I believe it actually happening. And your beloved Centrals are in 100%. All the clubs I believe have voted yes, now working on the details. It is a major body blow to BSA. I believe the clubs will still be affiliated with BSA but want to run their own comp. It will be interesting to see the timing though, not sure yet when it will actually take place.

Reply #649772 | Report this post

Really?  
Years ago

What would be problematic would be the amount of revenue BSA would lose if they tried to remove those competitions.

Reply #649783 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The only two clubs that seem happy with Basketball SA are Sturt and Forestville.

Reply #649796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way Sturt is BSA supporter, they probably complain and challenge the most.

Reply #649812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not beloved Centrals, just know the goings on there. Fact, they know nothing about this rubbish. And spoke to another high ranking committee member at another club and they know nothing about this either. When did this meeting take place where they agreed on this mutiny? Did the presidents or committees do the vote, or was there a meeting of members at all of the clubs.
I agree that the clubs do want more control, but can you come up with any facts to back this rumour up or is it just in your own head. Bsa are finding it hard enough to find courts to cater to number of teams, how is this rebel group going to find them with the biggest stadiums (unfortunately classify hillcrest/marion as part of them) ruled out. Maybe in future with st Clair, north stadiums development they may have options.
Again, logistically how is it going to work?

Reply #649835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sean Carlin & Kevin Fischer were both at the meeting as far as I know. I'd ask them.

Reply #649859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow so much misinformation here

1. Clubs have NOT voted on running competition
2. Not all clubs are in agreement at moment
3. To suggest only two clubs support BSA is wrong

Keep speculating but maybe qualify the comments as rumour only

Reply #649864 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"3. To suggest only two clubs support BSA is wrong"

Nah, no-one suggested that, I said "The only two clubs that SEEM HAPPY with Basketball SA are Sturt and Forestville", then the next poster suggested Sturt are not happy.

There's a big difference between supporting and not being happy, and not supporting at all.

It seems like with the departure of Mark Hubbard, now is the time for a vigorous discussion about how basketball is managed in SA so that a clear future can be chartered for the benefit of all.

Reply #649904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noorwood made themselves independent of BSA some time ago!

Reply #649913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Norwood are so independent of everything basketball that they decided their courts needed to be smaller than regulation. Forward thinkers those Norwood people.

Reply #649914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack

You are losing touch to suggest those two clubs are firstly happy and secondly implying all others are unhappy

Reply #649930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon at 15:17 that comment is pure stupidity. They didn't build the courts at the Arc and have far better facilities there than at Mars.

For training a full size court isn't crucial a full size back board, ring and foul line are which they have. In fact it's my belief that two teams that trained at least once a week on a smaller court still made grand finals so obviously it didn't hurt that badly. The two courts there are better than at Mars and all round a great move IMO. For junior social or miniball smaller courts don't matter really do they? It's not like they really use the full size courts and a lot of other sports use smaller courts for little kids so why not basketball.

Reply #649933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck hosting a Junior Nationals with undersized courts.

Reply #649934 | Report this post

Salt  
Years ago

Lol, Norwood weren't hosting junior nationals at Mars.

It is good that salty BSA staff get on here to bag a club that has done more for itself in the last few years than BASA/BSA did in a far greater time period.

Reply #649941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Salt,

I can see what Norwood has done - moved from a 3 court stadium to a new two court stadium.

The new home for Norwood that due to the lack of regulation courts many players do not play at their new home - I think they get to play at their old home. On Friday nights it is either Div 1 or Div 2 only.

And all the chest beating over having the best stadium in the state - they can't host national tournaments so how does that make it the best stadium?

Perhaps they should have pointed this out to the council - perhaps they didn't even know!!! At least with all the money spent on the outside it looks good!!

Reply #649949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And so worried about BSA staff salty....I highly doubt they give a shit about you

Reply #649958 | Report this post

BN  
Years ago

Haha. Anon above
Bsa not giving a shit is exactly the problem & reason they are have key members who are not satisfied with the way in which the peak body conduct itself

PS I am not from Norwood but it's obvious they would not have had 100% say in the design of a multi purpose council built venue.

Reply #649994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is such a fantastic thread, a group of mostly clueless keyboard warriors absolutely guessing . At least we have been able to get a Norwood sledge in there to make us all better about ourselves.
Try this - 'basketball adelaide ' , a group supposedly representing the 10 clubs has been agitating for change for some time and since they haven't been able to get what they want from bsa they now are threatening to run the comp themselves in 2018 to force bsa to do something . This is without any costings or feasibility study - go figure !

Reply #649997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is classic tall poppy stuff. As soon as a club builds its way up all people do is complain. Nobody mentions that Sturt or Forestville still make BSA their lap dog because although still strong aren't flexing their might as they were 5-10 years ago.

Nobody is beating up on Southern any more either so I guess North is next. Here's a big tip... if your at a club and find nothing positive to say leave. If your not at the club then as the old saying goes if you ain't got something nice to say, don't say anything.

I would hate to see my club get bullied for just existing and can see it'll happen sooner than later.

Reply #650003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#997 And who sits at the head of that "Basketball Adelaide" you speak of? Who has the loudest voice and beats his chest the most? Gee it wouldn't be someone so liberal that they are involved in politics? Surely you are not that naive to not know who is the major player here?

Reply #650016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha just another pointless Norwood sledge 0016 , try again !! Go West I would've said

Reply #650021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You people dont know anthing about what we are doing here. Noorwood 4 life!!!

Reply #650158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know we don't Anonymous - problem is most of Norwood don't know either!!

Reply #650180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And looks like Norwood people don't know anything about spelling, Noorwood lol

Reply #650183 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:17 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754