Aussie
Years ago

Harry Froling article

A great read on Harry Froling:

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/basketball/how-a-body-transformation-and-an-opportunistic-friendship-with-thon-maker-has-harry-froling-back-on-track/news-story/ba8677a1765c2f693a7d890fd154ad79

What I can't understand is how athletes that want to reach the highest level could even think it's ok to eat Pringles for breakfast.

Don't College coaches monitor their athletes diets?

To reach the highest level, you need to eat the proper foods, get in the weight room and train hard on the court. I didn't think it would be that difficult to understand that, that is what is required, for you to even have a chance.

I have heard Harry talk and he sounds like a switched on young man.

It's great to hear about his transformation and new work ethic.

Hopefully young and upcoming Australian basketball players read this article and learn from it.

Topic #41917 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

Not the coaches job to monitor athletes diet. That's on the athlete.

Danyle Pearce used to smash KFC regularly. Ingles didn't always have the best diet either until he went to AIS and was basically forced to eat. Baron Davis from memory had a junk food adiction to the point he got migraines constantly while at Warriors. Lamar Odom always had his driver fill the car up with sweets for after training and games. List can go on and on... Its only recent that kids are now actually eating properly even remotely while in juniors.

Reply #649801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope he makes it

Reply #649817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Don't College coaches monitor their athletes diets?"
NO. They leave that up to perhaps a dietician who reports to the HC.
How would anyone even know that anyway?
Unless the player is dumb enough to mention it publicly.

Reply #649821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once you pop you can't stop.

Reply #649822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is his diet surprising? Follow any NBL/pro sports player on social media and you'll see their diets are usually quite poor. They can only be advised on what to eat, not force-fed.

Reply #649851 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Sounds like a kid who got it too easy in the Aussie system rather than having to really work for it.

Our system doesn't produce enough hungry athletes and too many can;t handle College/Euro level ball simply because they've never had the hardship to succeed to that point.

Reply #649854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is his diet surprising? Follow any NBL/pro sports player on social media and you'll see their diets are usually quite poor. They can only be advised on what to eat, not force-fed.

Sadly oh so correct. Have a look at NBL "athletes" - not of them are really truly toned, a lot of baby fat/ex-muscle-turned-back-to-fat lumbering around. Perfect example was Wortho.

Reality - yes, Aus is soft. EU & US work hard. It's the "she'll be right" mentality.

Reply #649891 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Clearly our Aussies are rather "Hungry"

Reply #649916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Especially when you tease them with league wide Hungry Jack's sponsorship.

Reply #649926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How is his diet surprising? Follow any NBL/pro sports player on social media and you'll see their diets are usually quite poor. They can only be advised on what to eat, not force-fed.

Sadly oh so correct. Have a look at NBL "athletes" - not of them are really truly toned, a lot of baby fat/ex-muscle-turned-back-to-fat lumbering around. Perfect example was Wortho.

Reality - yes, Aus is soft. EU & US work hard. It's the "she'll be right" mentality."

As a nutritionist this is fact. On one hand we have sponsorship from garbage brands splashed all over the league, the players are representatives of those brands whether they like it or not, fans are treated to meal deals and free ice creams after games, and on the other hands the players are advised to eat otherwise.

I get that the league isn't really in a position to be completely picky over who they partner with but the message they're promoting via sponsors will reach the younger fans who we also try to encourage to pick up the sport and engage in physical activities. When I was a kid I liked Big M's for one obvious reason...

Article indicates this kid is working hard and sees the role of nutrition in bettering his game.

Reply #649948 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Reality, I disagree with your comment because I know for a fact that Australian State programs and the elite pathway in basketball here is all over the nutrition foods and teaching athletes within those pathways about good food and how they as athletes need to take care of the way they eat.

Kids will be kids, and this is more about an individual's character in regards to how he specifically handled the situation rather than an issue in Australian sporting systems or a lack of education.

Yes, the branding and marketing of unhealthy foods is everywhere and hard to avoid, also hard to resist, but the education is there, one just has to adhere to it and have the self awareness and inner strength to resist the overwhelming marketing.

Reply #650116 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:09 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754