http://www.taipans.com/news/article/35263-jawai-ruled-12-weeks

Reply #649797 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Much bugger.

Reply #649800 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Damn thats tough, done the work to get into shape now this.

Hopefully his recovery will be smooth, Egwu now has to step up big time.

Reply #649802 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

What happened to him losing weight in the offseason? Surely by now he realises his weight is a direct connection to his body constantly failing him

Reply #649803 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

He did lose weight... significant.

Reply #649804 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

If Nate comes back overweight he would be letting dowm so many people

Reply #649805 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Ah. Well then good but he still looks huge. Doesn't seem to have that explosiveness back yet either

Reply #649806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What chance he will be mentally ready for the playoffs?

Reply #649807 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Well Rehab is lonely and tough as hell. I hope he manages to come back and finish the season, but the guy just can't win a trick throughout his career.

Reply #649808 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Ricey, he's always been huge and I don’t think you’ve watched any of the 14 minutes he played before the injury.

Reply #649809 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

He may hit the 200 kegs mark now

Reply #649810 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

What chance he will be mentally ready for the playoffs?

Reply #649811 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I feel really sorry for him but for me this really draws a line under the fact that the Jawai experiment has been a bust. Such a shame because he looked deadly for the 10 minutes he was on the court on Friday, but can't see how we're ever going to get more than half a season out of him at a time.

At this rate I dread to think what kind of Jawai money will wind up making per game with us. 10k per appearance? 1k per point?

Reply #649813 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Any decent Aussie bigs available?

Reply #649814 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

Do the maths again CT: that's minimum $10kpp.

Reply #649815 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Kings have a decent DNPCD just sitting there.....

Reply #649816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much to achieve, so many injuries. Bye Nate.

Reply #649818 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

It's a cruel blow to both Nate, and the franchise.

@Ricey, you're embarrassing yourself; as @KingPodge said, you didn't watch that first game. Nate lost a lot of weight coming into this season. He looks much trimmer and was moving really well.

There will be a huge responsibility on Egwu, Loughton and Weigh to carry the load of the power positions, now. I hope Evans, and then Carrera, can help to shoulder some of that burden.

I would also suggest this will put Tevin Jackson in a position to really show his wares, because he's the obvious guy to step up to the roster among the DPs.

Reply #649824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is what happens when you can't lay down the Pringles.

Reply #649826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really feel for Nate. He did look great in that game.

IMO, he is surprisingly athletic, but he may well have to accept that even though his body can do those things, it may just be too risky.

Along with weight loss and conditioning, he may need to consider moderating his feats of athleticism.

Other players have adjusted their games following injury issues.

Reply #649830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is his heart still an issue? Raptors flashback.

Reply #649831 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Along with weight loss and conditioning, he may need to consider moderating his feats of athleticism.

Good point anon. I felt he could stand to lose a few more kilos with the way he played leading up to that injury, but if its a challenge to lose more weight, particularly as he gets older, your suggestion is very sound indeed.

Reply #649833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's see what Tevin can do. He looked comfortable in NZ

Reply #649836 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So I think I read on here that Cairns local big man Jeromie Hill is taking time off from basketball... now with Jawai going down, I wonder if he is regretting that decision as he could really save his career.

Sucks for the big guy

Reply #649839 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Kings have a decent DNPCD just sitting there.....

And to be honest, I'd rather he get some game up there then be wasted on our bench because of some internal things or a coach who can't handle his team...

Really sucks for Nate, but agree that if he comes back close to full strength, he really needs to moderate what he does as this injury just sort of happened, not with a clash with another player or anything... Fingers crossed he can keep the focus and drive to stay healthy post-surgery, as especially something that hinders your movement, it's a slippery slope to fall off...

Ones got to wonder though that if he doesn't come back good this season that is that it for him? It's not like a Matt Knight situation, but you'd think that if he continues to get such injuries playing the game, is it worth it to continue?

Reply #649843 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Is this Garlepp we're speaking of?

What's the story?

Reply #649845 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

He's always been huge, and that's always been his problem. He's never been able to maintain a lower weight - always up and down - which indicates he hasn't had long-term discipline when it comes to nutrition.
That doesn't mean he hasn't worked hard to get where he is because it's obvious he has - but I think it would be disingenuous to think he's the most disciplined pro around.

Reply #649846 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That's a real loss for the Taipans- and the entire league.

He was playing so well in that first half and looked in good shape, I thought he looked ready for his best season since his NBL return. Disappointed for big Nate.

Reply #649847 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Snooch, you're right to an extent. However, his serious weight gains have always come after long rehabs and it takes serious discipline to ride those out and maintain conditioning. Sometimes that isn't possible though, like that head/spinal injury he got in Turkey. He couldn't train/play at all for something like 12 months. He had plenty of pudding in the tank when he got to the Wildcats because of that. It's hard to maintain discipline when you can't do any physical work, and you're at the bottom of that pit wondering if you'll ever play again.

Outside of that, from what I understand, he hasn't really had major issues when healthy maintaining his playing weight - even when the Raptors sat him for 6 months because their medical team left their Malleus Maleficarums at home..

It should also be noted as well that none of Jawai's injuries have been related to his weight. Even this one. It's a freak thing. Had it been related to his weight, word is that it would have happened when he was sitting closer to 200kgs and/or in the preseason when his workload was much higher.

And nothing has anything to do with any heart issue... (wtf Anon?)

Reply #649848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Podge, blink twice if you need help. Is Jawai or the Cairns physio standing behind you?

Reply #649850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Cairns should close all the bakeries to stop him eating the pies. Hardly looks slim!

Reply #649852 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

While a lot of what you say is true, Podge, you're kind of an enabler with all the excuses.

While plantar fasciitis (which is what Fearne thought to be the injury) does have to do with weight, it has to do with a lot of other things too

Reply #649855 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

But those above who are saying Nate is in bad shape are kidding themselves. Looks to have lost 15+ kilos over the off-season

Reply #649856 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

That's a conservative 15 kegs.

Also, think about Nate at 180kg or whatever he may have been. He knew he was big so wouldn't push his body as far. Now he's slimmer, he was pulling off moves I haven't seen from him in years. Maybe when you have a ratio of weight:exertion, he overdid it with that dribble drive. But Yeah, plantar fasciitis has to do with posture/walking,running, jumping, panding techniques. Maybe that was a bit off too

Reply #649857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai went from 170kg to 140 and looked set for NBL 2nd team at least this season

The guy clearly had work to do but the hate is a little toxic

Reply #649862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

140 is still overweight! If he took his profession seriously he would be going around at the 120 mark

Reply #649863 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Whilst Fearne and the Taipans initially thought the injury may be plantar fasciitis, it is actually a partial tear of a ligament in his foot.

Reply #649865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai getting injured is another example of how he's shown a true lack of professionalism and commitment to his teammates, the organisations he's played for and..most importantly..himself.

Imagine if he was 15-20kgs lighter in a Boomers uniform. Scary Thought!!

It was clear he didn't lose enough weight coming into the nbl season by his quick injury and the fact that Aaron had him coming off the bench.

Its a real shame that Jawai who has NBA, European and NBL experience has floated thru his career, particularly in the NBL and with more opportunities than most, not shown any signs of that he's learnt anything from playing at the highest level all around the world.

The sheer fact that Aaron has shown faith in Jawai again and its failed because of his injuries, could be the last straw for him if Cairns don't win the NBL.

And for those who say Jawai lost weight. It clearly wasn't enough! Beside if he had done so, Cairns would have made a statement about it to show everyone his commitment to this season.

Once again, Jawai has let those down who's supported him and look up to him as a basketball player.

Not sure if he recover from this injury if he's out for a long period of time.

Reply #649867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, that isn't true. None of Jawai's injuries had anything to do with weight. None of them! Podge said so!!!

Reply #649868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King of the pudge!

Reply #649870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Jawai getting injured is another example of how he's shown a true lack of professionalism and commitment to his teammates, the organisations he's played for and..most importantly..himself."

you're trolling right? a lack of commitment? Like he got injured because he wasn't doing his job?

Reply #649876 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Manu, not sure how i'm enabling or excusing anything.... I'm not his dietician... if i was he'd probably be 250kgs. I mean if he's out of condition he's out of condition, i'm just saying it's not simply JUST a result of any lack of work ethic. I saw some of the work he was putting in over this offseason, the guy was focused and committed.

Anyways, it's not plantar fasciitis. That would have been the best case because, depending on the severity, you can play thru it (like Dusty did/has/does).

Anon; *sigh* how is his weight-related to the head and spinal injury he got in Turkey? Or the 'enlarged heart' issue he had at the Raptors (he wasn't allowed to go over 100bbm)? Or the shoulder injury he required surgery for last season? The contact right foot injury he got in Minnesota?

And there have been stories about Jawai's weight loss and conditions this season:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/09/21/03/34/slimmer-jawai-ready-to-dominate-nbl

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/basketball/a/37166803/slimmer-jawai-ready-to-dominate-nbl/

Reply #649877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or the back injury he suffered at the end of his season at Perth which almost made him miss a GF game....totally not weight related!

Reply #649878 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

it was a nerve pain injury that affected his back and his groin... It wasn't structural.

Reply #649879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hang on, are we saying that his heart issues aren't weight related? Or his blurred vision and tingling arm has got nothing to do with his weight either?

Reply #649880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And what can cause pinched nerves?? Excess weight!

Reply #649881 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

huh? the heart issue wasn't a weight issue, the Raptors were being extra cautious because of previous issues in the NBA..... Jawai was also at his peak physically at that time - having just been drafted.

The blurred vision, tingling arm etc were because he got an elbow to the top of his head..

The nerve injury is wasn't weight related Dr Anonymous...

I mean talk trash all you like anon, but at least get basic facts right - there's something called google out there.

Reply #649882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There sure is!

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=nerve+pain+and+weight+loss&rlz=1C1GGRV_enAU751AU751&oq=nerve&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59j0l4.3989j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Reply #649883 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Nice! linking to something unrelated to the guy's injury.

As Anon's go, you might just about be the most anon...

Reply #649884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Said hello to him at the preseason tournament, looked in great shape. The man got a sports injury, it happens. Looked great against Illawarra last week, hope he makes a speed return, great asset to the league despite all the trolls on here.

Reply #649886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And nothing has anything to do with any heart issue... (wtf Anon?)

WTF Podge? When he was at the Raptors they had him sit out due to issues they found with his heart.

Reply #649892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Podge come on, use some common sense. You honestly don't think that being overweight doesn't put more stress on a human body and increase the chances of an injury?

Reply #649893 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

That was in reply to: "Is his heart still an issue? Raptors flashback."

Learn to read.

Reply #649894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This guy should've been a superstar. But his eight hindered him. "Enabler" comment was spot on, some people get too attached to their club and players. Another victim of the blasé "she'll be right" attitude we have in this country.

Reply #649895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kingpodge learn to read. The question was is the heart still an issue? Obviously from your snarky response it isn't so thank you for answering that. Now let's move on...

Reply #649896 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

huh? I never said being overweight doesn't increase the chances of injury. I was simply saying that none of Jawai's previous injuries have been related to his weight. Did I stutter? I mean it's not that hard to understand.

Big units get injured regardless of their BMI, e.g. Matty Knight.

Reply #649897 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

Work ethic is different to nutrition discipline. I don't question his want to be the best basketballer he can, reckon he loves the game, his club, teammates, coach etc. And reckon he does work hard on court and in the gym. But I do reckon he's let himself down with his inability to maintain a better playing weight. As you say podge it's the times when you can't work that as a pro sportsman you need the most discipline - and it's in those times he hasn't been able to maintain it.

Still, hope the best for the guy - he's a genuinely good guy and a hell of a basketballer when he's on his game.

Reply #649898 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Snooch - 100% and he's admitted that too.

Reply #649900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I was simply saying that none of Jawai's previous injuries have been related to his weight. Did I stutter?"

We understood you. Just saying you're full of shit if you try and state that as fact.

Reply #649902 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha sure. Just tell me how his concussion was weight related? Or his shoulder weight related? Or his 'heart' issue at the Raptors weight related?

Simple questions.

Reply #649903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This medical advice comes from the same guy who can't admit that Adelaide were resting players when they played Cairns towards the end of last season.

Reply #649906 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

So you're not going to answer the question then?

Reply #649907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For someone in complete denial that Jawai's weight has never played any part in any of his injuries, what is the point? Lets just put it down to a freak thing, like Joey really trying to win a close game by playing his bench for an entire fourth quarter...freaky!

Reply #649908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We get it podge, you have no idea about human composition. Stop arguing a losing battle and trying to bring up the non weight related injuries.

Reply #649909 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha so that's a no then, good talk.

Reply #649910 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I don't think anyone is saying weight is not an issue, most likely it played a part in it.

However, lets give Nate some props, he did work in the offseason to shed quite a bit of weight and let's face it, for him its probably a constant WIP.

Comments to the effect of, cos he's fat, simplifies the issue too much.

Anyway, hopefully he can continue to keep up the regime during his rehab.

Reply #649911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the anons... name one instance where a Jawai injury has been weight related.

Go on, we'll wait...

Reply #649912 | Report this post

Kenny Mayne  
Years ago

Kingpodge is fast becoming the most excruciating poster on here.

Reply #649915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His back injury at Perth.

Reply #649917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=nerve+pain+and+weight+loss&rlz=1C1GGRV_enAU751AU751&oq=nerve&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59j0l4.3989j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Back injury from nerve pain.

Reply #649918 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Kenny: fast becoming? I thought I was already there. Have i mentioned that I enjoy Homicide's work in the commentary team?

Anon - it wasn't a pinched nerve, but hey, you do you brother.

Reply #649919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, "fast becoming" since you're too slow at it. Mind moving things along?

Reply #649932 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Bitch fighting on the net :)

Reply #649936 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Who's the replacement?

Reply #649937 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Would Cam Tragardh be a suitable replacement?

Reply #649939 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

LoveBroker - interesting idea, he can still get buckets. would depend on what they need and Trig's QBL offseason fitness.

For now with Jerry still here as injury cover, he can fill that rotation gap along with Jackson. Now if jackson plays well enough to keep taking those minutes and MC comes back strong - a replacement might not be needed.

Reply #649940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai out for 12 weeks but he will get re-assessed by his doctor at 6 weeks, depending on Podge's availability.

Reply #649943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Reply #649944 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The anons are pathetic. Sorry about them, Podge

Reply #649946 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Financially, it's not such a big blow for the Taipans as others have made it out to be. A lot of Nate's pay would be coming from the (Federal) government as an indigenous leader/ inspiration for the kids. NRL and AFL clubs also benefit from this.

Tough break for Nate though. I thought he was looking trimmer and playing well. He does need to have a bit of weight and power for his game style, so he would never be as good as a "lightweight Nate". He needs to get healthy and find a balance that works for him and his game.

Reply #649947 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Manu: haha it's pretty amusing really;)

Reply #649950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I seem to recall coaching staff at Perth relating Jawai's weight to back pain when discussing his minutes and ability to travel for road games. Does this sound familiar? I can't recall the details.

I was the one who raised the issue of adjusting his game (sorry, can't be bothered logging in at work). I was just thinking in terms of load/stress on the body. Less weight provides less load, improved mobility and posture. Better conditioning improves resilience and recovery. These are pretty ordinary considerations.

Reply #649952 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Fearne has been the constant in Nate's success

Part of Nate’s deal in Perth was that he was assigned a personal trainer to keep him in playing shape. He got bigger as the season went on

He moves back to Cairns and drops 30kgs

Reply #649954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

30kgs??

Reply #649956 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He moves back to Cairns and drops 30kgs

No he didn't he was still massive at Cairns last season it was only this season he decided to get serious. According to Tragardh he was 170 kg last season.

Reply #649957 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

He started last preseason at that

Reply #649959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The figures just get more fanciful each time I hear them.

Reply #649961 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

He maxed out at 220 in grade 4

Reply #649962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was 140 when he signed with Perth, and then was 170 when he got to Cairns? Then dropped 18kgs in six minutes in Cairns, then another 12 (30 total) since he's been there?

Reply #649963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He currently weighs 9grams.

Reply #649965 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Word is he just had dinner. 50 grams

Reply #649966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He just snapped in half BUT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS WEIGHT!!

Reply #649967 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'll pay that

Reply #649968 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

KingPodge,

Please that was from Tragardh's own mouth and Jawai was still very overweight last season in Cairns. As I said during the game he was noticeably slimmer on Friday night than he was last season.

Reply #649969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you guys get your stories straight please?

Reply #649970 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

My understanding is that Nate came into camp last season at 170kg, after playing in Perth. He dropped to 153kg for last season and his playing weight coming into this season was a shade under 140kg.

He certainly looks a lot slimmer than he did last year. I really hope he can keep it off and return after Christmas as fit and agile as he looked in game 1.

Reply #649972 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

With a little talk going around concerning Trigger, can I suggest Matt Burston might be a better option?

Ok, I will. Matt Burston might be a better option, if the 'Pans go for a temporary replacement. I doubt they will.

Reply #649973 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Matt Burston would've been be a great temporary replacement 18 months ago but I don't think he's played since he left the taipans. Racking my brains trying to think of a qbl player big and good enough to cover at nbl level but I'm struggling.

Reply #649975 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Agree CT, I don't think Matt has played much outside some masters in the past 12mths.

(Zodiac: i wasn't having a go at you mate, what Trigger would have meant was Nate came to into the season/pre season at 170. It's been reported in the media as such over the past 18 months. He was still well and truly carrying far too much kgs.)

Reply #649980 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

100th comment

Reply #650004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One comment for every kilo Jawai has lost this week!

Reply #650005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another comment for every kilo he has gained since hurting his foot and laying into the pies

Reply #650010 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

jesus it's too early in the season for a 100 post thread....

Reply #650014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Needs to get to 140 to match at least 1 of his weights during the pre season

Reply #650017 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Apparently Jawai was out jetskiing around Fitzroy Island on Friday. Clearly taking his rehab super seriously

Reply #651015 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

He hasn't had surgery yet. Having it this week.

Reply #651024 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

One of those things that can't get worse until he has surgery?

Did we find out exactly what it was? Because the plantar fascia is a ligament.

Reply #651030 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

I only know what the Taipans have said. They seemed to be saying that it was a partial tear of a ligament rather than plantar fasciitis.

Reply #651042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did the jetski break in two from his weight?

Reply #651047 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Manu - TCP reported that they couldn't get a surgeon until this week.

It was a ligament further down the foot, rather than the heal but I don't know a peroneus brevis from an extensor hallucis longus.

Reply #651079 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'm actually a surgeon so I could tell you the difference. But I don't want to. I don't want to give away trade secrets

Reply #651084 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:59 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754