Tassie Devil.
Years ago

Tassie eyes Nbl return.

Hobart Chargers eyeing to get an nbl back in for Tasmania.
$5mill. Budget. Pay wall article below.

HOBART Chargers president David Bartlett believes a Tasmanian NBL side could be competitive with a yearly budget of $5 million as the push to join the national league continues.

Bartlett has been in Cairns with his family and attended the Taipans' opening match of the 2017-18 season last Friday night, before visiting the club’s headquarters earlier this week.

With a population of around 180,000 Cairns has a model Bartlett would loosely base a Tasmanian bid for a licence on — aside from the ownership component.

The Taipans are the only not-for-profit club left in the league, and Bartlett has revealed his vision of a completely privatised business model is the only way the NBL will entertain expansion.

"There is some work to do around the ownership model. I have some thoughts about how that can happen, and government has a role to play in the start-up phase of any proprietary limited company that might end up owning a Tas­manian NBL franchise," Bartlett said. “In terms of budget, the Cairns Taipans’ budget is about $3 million, the Melbourne United budget is something like $10.5 million.

“Tasmania shouldn’t want to go into the NBL and be an also-ran, we have to go into the NBL with a view of being competitive and eventually winning the national championship.

“I think a budget of $5 million should be what we are aiming for, and when you think about what we pour as a state into sport, bringing sport to play here, there is a role for government to play.

“But ultimately it is going to come down to corporate sponsorship and ownership to make this an attractive offer for the NBL.

“The real clarity that came out of this is the ownership model is the thing we have to get right, and the level of professionalism we put into a bid, we can’t go half-baked.”

From his game night experience Bartlett believes the Chargers are not far away from an NBL product, and is confident the club can go another level with fan engagement in 2018 as it strives to enhance a reputation as providing the best SEABL content in the country.

Topic #41925 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope they get a team

Reply #650030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be great, government money should be allocated as both Hawks and Roos afl sides seem to have no problem getting it.

Reply #650045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly the closest they have ever been to returning to the NBL. Here's hoping.

Reply #650061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have to change their name back to Tassie Devils!

Reply #650140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they do get an NBL team I assume Chargers in SEABL remain. So no change, just a retention of the old name :)

Reply #650147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania are attempting to get an A-League side:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-13/a-league-bid-for-tasmania-alive-and-well/9045834

NBL better hurry up!

Reply #650153 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^, other than maybe spreading the corporate sponsorship dollar a bit thin, I don't necessarily see the A-League as a direct competitor or a hold up to an NBL team.

Different crowd
Different venue
Different ownership
Different pretty much everything

If anything, if I lived there I would be absolutely wrapped to have an NBL team and an A-League Team to support in summer and the SEABL, plus an AFL team in the winter!

Reply #650157 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Does anyone know if the Silverdome in Launceston can host basketball games?

Reply #650195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, United were planning on playing a game there. Has hosted netball.

Reply #650216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calling them the Devils would be obviously ideal or Tasmania United if they also play in Launceston. I'm guessing that is definately what the A-League team would be called if it was created.

Reply #650227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Silverdome I believe is about to undergo massive upgrading.
Intentions are games across the state. Not sure about the N/W as they don't have a huge capacity there for crowds.

Reply #650245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good interview by the Chargers President on ABC radio this morning. Their aim is to be in the NBL in 2 seasons time. Budget of $5mill with a player budget up near $2mill.

Reply #650639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that Melbourne's spend is $10M per year. I wonder how much of that is player salaries?

Reply #650646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has to be Devils.

Reply #650659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

President David Bartlett has very good discussions with Larry Kestleman.

"He said directly to me, 'you get the commercial model right and there is no reason Tasmania can't have an NBL side’.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/basketball/commercial-model-is-crucial-to-tasmanian-nbl-bid-success/news-story/70b0e774c5cbea4ddbb6cd38ed933ab7

Reply #660009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope so, can't understand how tasie government gives money to Hawks and Roos afl, start giving it to tasie basketball and get there own team, not blow inns.

Reply #660028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes now the soccer and cricket want a slice of that Government pie. Soccer want $6mill for ground improvements!

Reply #660029 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Pfft.
It's one thing to say we'd aim for a budget of $5M, its an entirely different matter to actually raise $5M in sponsorship.
And whats more to have it locked in for a minimum of say 5 years.

I also don't like the way people immediately start claiming that the government needs to chip in. Tassie is the poorest state in the country, and the government has better things to spend its money on.
People cite the AFL, but thats slightly misleading. The deal with the AFL is basically that the AFL pours money into Tassie, and in return the government provides sponsorship. In reality it is just another way for the AFL to subsidise Melbourne clubs.

Reply #660182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Afl pours money in to tassie, you've never had to deal much with the afl, there are very good at making it look like it pours in money. Norths don't get that many supporters in either. The Tasmanian government would be better putting money into their own basketball team not ring inns.

Reply #660197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlikely the current government will be in next season ;)

Reply #660202 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Point is that the supposed sponsorship of Hawthorn and Norths is a sham. Its all part of an agreement, where the AFL agrees to pay for some stuff, and in return the government agrees to "sponsor" those teams. Just a backdoor method of diverting funds.

So sure, if LK is willing to pay for a bunch of stuff in Taswegia, I'm sure tje government could find some "sponsorship" for an NBL team.

Reply #660208 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Tassie might need to move to China if they want to get in.

Reply #660232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why's that Paul? Last I heard China wasn't an option.

Reply #660233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie's chances of getting into the NBL are getting closer. (Paywall article)

"THE Hobart Chargers are working on a business plan to take Tasmania back to the big league with the full consent of the NBL.

On Monday a consortium headed by Chargers president David Bartlett met in Melbourne to workshop the plan.

The NBL has made no guarantees but it is no secret it is looking to expand in the near future and has provided information and advice to the Chargers.

"I do get the feeling expansion is on the horizon so therefore time is of the essence and we have to position ourselves well because there will be plenty of others who want to be part of it as well," Bartlett said.

Bartlett said Hydraplay, a drinks bottle company owned by former Hobart Devils basketballer Justin Hickey, was willing to bankroll Tasmania's NBL push.

Aside from the pure finances of the plan, the consortium will also look at:

BRANDING: Should it be the Devils, the Chargers or a completely new brand?

TEAMS: Should it be an NBL and WNBL push or just one team?

“Whatever happens, the Chargers’ success is critical to an NBL outcome and what the branding of what this thing will be I can’t predict at the moment,” Bartlett said.

“When we started our workshop on Monday this is some of the big questions on our long list we need to answer, and that’s certainly one of them.”

He said the Chargers were already making inroads into the NBL’s checklist set by league boss Larry Kestleman.

The three main requirements were a rich backer, stadium and attendances.

“We are looking like we’ve ticked the box in terms of a deep pocketed owner, we are working really hard to get bums on seats,” he said.

“The best things Tasmanians can do if they want an NBL franchise is to buy a ticket to a Chargers game.

“The league are looking to see how many are turning up to SEABL in Tasmania.

“Obviously we are not going to get 4000 to a SEABL game unless we get a final, but we need to be consistently getting 2000 to a SEABL game to show we can get 4000 to an NBL game.

“The stadium is another one of those big questions we need resolved. The DEC is the stadium, no doubt about it, but is the stadium NBL ready?

“I don’t believe it is at the moment.”

Many believe on the back of Australia’s impact on the NBA, Andrew Bogut’s return to the NBL and a push to return the league to free-to-air TV, the NBL is about to boom again."

Reply #687648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has to be Devils.

Reply #687665 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

No, its not like the Devils have a rich winning history.
They need to consider name, colours, and mascot as part of the whole marketing strategy.
In that regard I feel the big question is whether they run with "Hobart" or go for "Tasmania"

Finding a decent venue is one of their biggest challenges. They really need to hit the government up for a new one, closer to the CBD. Somewhere around the docks would be ideal.

The DEC is getting old, is barely big enough, and being a council venue will always struggle to stay modern.
The team will struggle enough to attract decent crowds, without being handicapped by a 3rd rate venue.

Reply #687831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, has to be Devils.

Reply #687839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO guarantee it will be.

Reply #687858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting piece by Brent Costelloe of WINTV on the imminent return of a Tassie team. Its FB and I assume it's public? Video news article. Name and logo to be revealed shortly it says. I have heard it won't be the Devils.
https://www.facebook.com/brentcostelloesport/videos/1796759040631950/

Reply #688879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has to be Devils.

Reply #688887 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Team will be called the Tasmanian Twins,
and the Mascot will have two heads

Reply #688905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nicknamed 'Double Up'

Reply #688916 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

At least they have the chance to capture Statewide support, as Tassie doesn't have as many major league teams.

Reply #688948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the last century humour Ad. So pathetic.

Getting back on track the whole of Tassie is now united in supporting the NBL push. For idiots that make the terrible Tassie jokes here is the truth.
http://seabl.com.au/community-support-growing-for-tasmanian-basketball/

Reply #689439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

‏@brentcostelloe
Happy to report that our state's bid for an @NBL licence is bubbling away very nicely behind the scenes. I'll have fresh details regarding membership, sponsorship, the venue and what the team may or may not be called in @WINNews_Tas sport tonight at 6.20pm. #basketball #NBL

Reply #695189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has to be Devils.

Reply #695192 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Re: Anon 189 post

I note the term "venue" in the singular form.

Either it's not planned for games to be shared between cities,..

Or just the way it was typed.

Reply #695210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think @Brentcostelloe is referring to the main venue in the south.
It is a fully backed Tasmania bid. BATas fully supporting this bid and all seabl clubs as well.

Reply #695211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We now know it won't be the Devils.

Reply #695227 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Clip of the story from last night's WIN News:

Link

Reply #695237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So TAS team will be around the state and new NZ owners are taking up to six games away from Auckland. Not bad, spread the NBL far and wide.

Reply #695238 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Wow, absolutely nothing in that to inspire any confidence, just a lot of talk.
They keep talking about the money needed, but then say they're hoping to have $750k in cash. WTF?

Any halfwit can put together a "Field of Dreams" proposal,
and it won't work, they never do.

At a rough guess, you'd need to have confirmed access to around $10M in cash, just to make sure the team doesn't face-plant within a couple of seasons.

Reply #695251 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks for the clip Luuuc, exciting stuff for Tassie and the whole NBL audience, to be honest, I wish the bid well and am looking forward to positive news as it comes in.

Great stuff!

Reply #695252 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, there may be nothing substantial just yet but I too am pleased to hear that the desire is still alive & well in Tassie.

Reply #695259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be two new teams though? Who is the second after TAS?

Reply #695266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AD you are an idiot.
They are prepared to put in $2 -$3mill to renovate the existing DEC where seabl is played.
They have at least 2 people prepared to put in up to $5mill per YEAR to run the club.
Did you actually look at the article?
It is far from a Field of Dreams. The Tas Government is behind the bid.
The AFL is a joke in Tasmania. Soccer has just been bypassed for entry into the NSL.
It's a perfect time for an NBL team to enter the NBL as Tassie's national sports team.
Where does this magical $10mill you guess figure comes from?
Have you actually investigated what the NBL requirements are?
If you had you would know that the Tassie bid has met all those requirements.
Idiot.

Reply #695286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL bid for a Tassie licence now includes the bidders to buy the DEC.
So AD you are simply wrong. "Field of Dreams" is where you live clearly.

Reply #695770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's happening.

Reply #695772 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

But Tassie adds no value to the actual league and its value!

Its like adding another Cairns or Hawks...they add nothing to the value of the league other than the feel good factor when we all know the NBL has been from the outset about creating a league as a cash driver/earner.

Reply #695773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the way I see it we have 2 options - we make it a 3 team league (Mel, Syd, Per) or we make it accessible to teams like the Hawks & Taipans. If it is the latter then I don't see why Tassie couldn't work too. If we go with option 1 then we just watch the rich teams dominate for a few years while the rest get left behind and then we have no NBL by 2025

Reply #695777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can it not add value?
Will you say the same of a 2nd Melbourne team or a 2nd NZ team?
perhaps you should tell Kestleman he's wrong eh.

Reply #695778 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Of course a team in Tasmania would add value. It is a national league. I would be very wary of adding a second Melbourne or Sydney team again as time after time that has failed.

Reply #695788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A 2nd Sydney team has never been broached afaik.

Reply #695791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All indications are two new teams will enter at the same time.

So where will the second team be that enters with TAS?

Reply #695793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality has no reality, no idea. Sponsores want there product sold in Tasmania as much as Sydney or Melbourne. Full national competition would be great.

Reply #695795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, we all know Reality has no idea. More like Fantasy.

Reply #695797 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

A second Melbourne team adds alot more commercially to the league than a tassie team.

The second biggest TV market would have a game on in the city every week rather than every second.

I like the idea of a Tassie teams as it wonderful and romantic but if the AFL and other sporting leagues don't want to move or start a team down there its with good reason as its simply not viable or a value add to commercial partners or future prospects.

Reply #695800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Afl, nrl have sides on the Gold Coast. Now that's working well. Not.
They are not examples to follow, Tasmania is ready for its own team in a national competition and with its own financial backing not proped up by government, they have big pocket sponsors.
The afl and nrl prop up half a dozen sides in there comps plus suck money out Tasmanian government.

Reply #695805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanians actually like sport, unlike Gold Coastians

Reply #695811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"as its simply not viable or a value add to commercial partners or future prospects."
Probably dumbest quote of the year.

Change your name to Clueless.

Reply #695819 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Reality, you appear to be missing one major consideration with that point of view, the crowd and membership size required.

For an AFL or an NRL team it will need twice or four times the amount of crowd support and membership over that necessary for an NBL team.

Notwithstanding the level of cash the AFL and NRL can throw in to keep their investment team afloat, that isn't the long term plan for any organisation.

I do agree that a second Melbourne team is a must, but I can see a Tasmanian team being no less important than Cairn, Illawarra, NZ or potential teams in the future that are not in our major metropolises.

The people will decide...

Reply #695823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The council will decide tonight.

Reply #695833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, an NBL team in the professional era owning their own stadium? That would be a first.

Reply #695841 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Glenorchy council are in massive debt, this should be a win-win for all involved for them to sell the DEC to the consortium, who seem to have some cool plan to develop what's a good site.

Reply #695847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ogden who own the Sydney Kings own their own facility ;). $80,000 to open it for the night!

Reply #695890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glenorchy Council have voted unanimously to sell the DEC. 21 days for public comment and EOI's to be submitted.

Reply #695894 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

An opportunity knocks!

@Anon ^890, is your point that at $80,000 to open your own venue suggests it isn't able to make decent profits out of its basketball (NBL) games, by owning their own venue?

Maybe you are missing the options owning your own venue can present, by renting the venue out for other events, not just using it for NBL, just thinking if you are making that reference...

Reply #695895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ogden is the most expensive venue in Australia to open. That is one of my points. The other was in reference to someone suggesting that if Tassie owned their own venue they would be the first to do so. That isn't true.
The group trying to by the DEC has access to catering and concerts making it a no brainer for me.
Plus they are expected to pour millions into that precinct, that sits opposite MONA. A perfect synergy.

Reply #695911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ogden who own the Sydney Kings own their own facility ;). $80,000 to open it for the night!"

Good point. It's a nice trend developing.

Reply #695926 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Wow, some really butt-hurt Taswegians in here.
Your state is literally the pimple on Australia's arse, get over it.

Here's a tip, maybe if you all got of your arse and allowed some development, you too could have jobs, and actually afford things.
Sitting around in a circle, smoking pot and singing Kumbaya, whilst waiting for everything to be handed to you on a plate, may work for government handouts and maybe even the AFL, but it will not work for the NBL.

As I have repeatedly said, anyone can have an NBL team, anywhere they want, if they have the money to pay for.
Yes, this would be a good time to re-stablish an NBL team in Tassie,
IF somebody has the money to fund it properly long-term,
IF the people of Tassie get off their arse and support it, and
IF you can build a decent venue.
But the last thing we need is another struggling franchise that will need propping up or fold after a few seasons.

My only criticism of that particular article was that it was long on talk, and short on specifics. Plus saying that you hope to come up with 750k, towards something that would take many millions, did not exactly inspire confidence.

This latest development only confirms what I have suspected, there is little government money available to build a decent venue, nor even upgrade the shithole that is the DEC. It was a substandard venue when the Devils played there, and apparently has gotten worse.
Talking about "an NBL team owning its venue" doesn't really count when the venue is the DEC.

Wait and See I suppose. DEC aside, I really do hope that somebody does have the money to make this happen. Can only be good dor the state and NBL if we get a viable team there.

End of the day, Wildcats are only dominant because Dr Jack propped them up during the lean years, and govt finally built a first-class venue.
I sincerely wish Tasmania the same opportunity.

Reply #695964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
What an absolute load of dribble.

The DEC is no worse than where hawks, cairns, even 76ers. Sydney also played out state sports centre three seasons ago and that was a dump.
Maybe you should get to Hobart and check the joint out instead of writing shit.

Reply #695967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz needs to be banned again.

Reply #695969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow the DEC was a shithole 21 years ago. Bullshit.

"This latest development only confirms what I have suspected, there is little government money available to build a decent venue, nor even upgrade the shithole that is the DEC. It was a substandard venue when the Devils played there, and apparently has gotten worse."

Hey dickhead. NO ONE has mentioned any government funding EVER. Build a new venue. Why would that be? Yet more bullshit without even understanding what is occurring right now.

Go and read (assuming you can read) about the actual bid. Until you do no point in even commenting here. Where ever you post its crap and more crap.

Reply #695971 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Lots of tassie people upset but economy & population in the end win the day.

Simply not enough people live in the state and the long term economic history and growth outlook is very poor.

The reason i mention Tassie adds no commercial value is simply they don't as not enough eyes in the state and then not enough disposable income in the households to make it attractive to media buyers of advertising space (trust me the metrics in tassie are terrible!)

People with deep pockets who everyone claims is backing a new team did't end up with deep pockets because they like to give it away!

LK will take your money and watch it all fall over within 5 years as it simply won't be self sustaining.

Reply #695974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are no other media markets that big in Aus left. Worth a try.

Reply #695981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Needs to be Devils.

Reply #695982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The LK issue certainly is concerning and I agree with you on that. It's only a matter of time before the likes of Cairns and the Hawks fold. Eventually the NBL will too. Salary cap out of control yet again will see to that as will a 4 import rule.

The point about this bid is that there are multiple revenue streams available to the backers if they buy the DEC. Basketball is only one of those streams and if it does fold in 5 years so be it. They are smart businessmen and know exactly what they are doing.
The latest news items todayindicate they will spend up to $90mill in the next number of years on that site.
Not sure where your metrics come from but right now Tasmania is the hottest real estate market in the country with prices still soaring and rents even at least the same as in Melb of Sydney now in some cases. The state is booming and more importantly the whole state is behind this bid.
A $5mill budget is more than some teams are already spending and the aim is not be be an also ran from the start.
In the next month or so the decision to sell the DEC will be made. If this consortium gets the opportunity all well and good. If it doesn't basketball will go further into the backwaters than the facilities are today.
All the hard work the Chargers and other clubs and BTAS have done to gain the resurgence in interest in basketball will be wasted. Those involved in the bid and many others will simply walk.

Reply #695983 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wow, some really butt-hurt Taswegians in here.
Your state is literally the pimple on Australia's arse, get over it.
Go away Dazz.

Reply #695994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many words AD. All of them bs.

Reply #696015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the stupid people. AD / DAZZ.
"THE consortium behind the push to buy the Derwent Entertainment Centre will invest between $80 million and $90 million in a sports and entertainment precinct without any guarantee of a National Basketball League licence.
Consortium spokesman, Hobart Chargers president and former Tasmanian premier David Bartlett, made the commitment on Tuesday after the Glenorchy City Council voted unanimously to offload the DEC.
Mr Bartlett would not disclose the exact amount offered for the DEC by the consortium, backed by Hydraplay, led by Justin Hickey.

The DEC, owned and operated by the council, has become a burden on rate payers, suffering a $1,094,000 loss for 2016-17.
The proposal will include a $3 million to $4 million upgrade of the DEC, a hotel and cafes to create a sports and entertainment precinct and the largest investment in Glenorchy since Mona.

"The NBL licence is a risk, we have to present a case to the NBL, there are no guarantees there," Mr Bartlett said.

“But the consortium is moving forward with this without making it a criteria or condition of doing the transaction with the Glenorchy City Council.

“That transaction we hope will happen in the coming weeks where the transaction to get an NBL franchise licence is six months, 12 months away. “That is just the way the timing is going to work.

“That is a commercial risk, no doubt about it, for the consortium, but it is a commercial risk they are prepared to take.”

Pretty clear eh.

Reply #696018 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Its a huge risk and look they can always walk away over redevelop the site if the NBL doesn't happen.

As no figures are stated they are probably pretty much being given the DEC from a small or insignificant amount due to the value add to the community/council from redevelopment.

AS for those mentioning the tassie property market best look at the long term averages rather than small 6 month window, its coming from a very low base in terms of value/investment and the figures being paid for property are still well below the other states.

Good luck to Tassie with the bid and hope these owner don't mind losing money

Reply #696023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the no value add argument has gone now Reality.

"The consortium is absolutely willing to pay fair value for the asset.."

Why would a council that is broke give away an item that is worth million$.
People just guess and fantasise and their loopy ideas then become the truth here it seems.
Wait a month or there abouts and the true REALITY will be revealed.

Reply #696030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Tassie market is coming from a low base, but the surge has been going for a fair bit longer than six months, and both property and rental prices certainly aren't low anymore.

Reply #696067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why would a council that is broke give away an item that is worth million$."

Because they are losing millions of $ operating it. They'll ask a price for it, but I doubt they'll get too much for an underperforming venue in a 250K city.

Reply #696071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahahaha. yet another person who doesn't understand anything about the bidders or the offer.
The DEC didn't lose millions..... This is where all the facts get skewed. Depreciation was the main component of that. In fact the figure was $1,094,000. Hardly millions.
Time will tell and of course all the naysayers here will all say if they get the bid, oh it's only a matter of time....
Yet they don't have any idea of the actual plan.

Reply #696073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look over the long term, not just last year.

Reply #696076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually agree with Koberulz.
Go away Dazz.

Reply #696080 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

People seem to be obsessed by the idea that the new owners might lose money. I don't think anyone starts an NBL team with the impression they'll make money from it - especially to start with.

As for the doomsayers about the NBL, saying it will fold and bemoaning the import rules, I'm not sure what you'd prefer the league do: not build? Not continue to spend money in the hope of making a splash? Most good businessmen know you have to spend first to ever make a profit. And in the case of Kestleman, I think he's passionate enough to keep pumping his money in for the foreseeable future. As for the teams, the import rules barely even matter. I mean many teams are rolling into next season with two imports opposed to three, and I dare say that there has probably been less spending on rosters this year than last.

Reply #696092 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I agree with the above post ME...

Who gives a shit if the owners lose money, we all want an NBL team in Tasmania as there is no competition down there (besides the cricket for a full time team) and at worst the new owners come in and get the correct infrastructure in place and we atleast give them a chance.

We hear about bringing in a second NZ or Melbourne team (still think Geelong would be better than a 2nd Melbourne) but with Tasmania we have a team that can create its own supporter base without taking from anyone else... hopefully Melbourne United playing down there piques the interest of the locals all the more but doesn't build their supporter base... in fact if they can help build a rivalry because of United playing down there then that would be fantastic

Reply #696094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anyone has actually read any of the press you would know that the bidders are more than happy to pursue the purchase of the DEC without an NBL team getting in.
They are well backed and have a broad spread of business' many of which will enhance the future expansion of the DEC precinct and the DEC itself.

Reply #696098 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Owners understand they might loose money but no one and i mean no one wants to loose money for a sustained period, as you don't become wealthy enough to own a team to then go broke!

Even the mega billions of NBA owners have a limit on what they'll spend so the attitude of "who cares" if they make money isn't what the person writing the cheque will be saying come year 2 or 3 if they are still tipping in!

Lets remember the entire league needs a viable TV deal otherwise this thing will be all over bar the shouting in a few years so the real question is does a Tassie team help get a deal? Or do the media companies prefer a second team in another market.

Reply #696099 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Well I don't see why Tassie can't come in plus get a team in a better market. I also think every time you expand you run the risk of a team not working out and them eventually folding. I don't think that there is anything about Tasmania that makes it more likely to fold than anywhere else.

Reply #696100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A 2nd team in what other market other than the one that you are already in?
You really need a Reality check.

Reply #696106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754