Bruce
Years ago

Lightning Crowds

What can we do to get crowd numbers up ? Last nights game v Lynx was great , a quality physical contest , classy shooting with some quality players and yet crowds poor !

Topic #41930 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Women's sport is always hard to attract crowds. Not because of the standard, because of a lot of cultural issues.

It's OK for women to watch men's sport, but if men watch women's sport they are seen as filthy perverts leering.

Reply #650134 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Male competitions of the same standard generally attract even fewer fans, so I don't really buy that argument.

Reply #650135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scheduling doesnt help. A stand alone game on a Thursday night isnt ideal to draw a crowd.

Reply #650136 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Perhaps some advertising and promotion wouldn't go astray. I had no idea the game was on.

Reply #650137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing at the same time as the 36ers did (albeit interstate) doesn't help matters either

Reply #650139 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

"Male competitions of the same standard generally attract even fewer fans" ??

Not sure where that is coming from. A good few male players could have learnt a thing or two - or three - from some of the play and players on show in last night's game.

Some referees could have learnt how not to do it, but that's a different discussion.

Scheduling is definitely an issue but is not something that can be changed for this season at this stage.

I believe the answer lies in promotion/awareness, though exactly how to achieve that is not clear, since it's an on-going issue.

Probably only option is 'word of mouth' - which is pretty much the most effective form of advertising anyway. These days that probably translates to 'word of twitter' or 'word of facebook' but the principle is constant - lots of positive talk, on-going even if there's no obvious immediate improvement.

Less of the 'Male competitions of the same standard generally attract even fewer fans' - which I honestly don't understand, given the quality [international and WNBA] of players in the WNBL - and more of:
'should have seen that pass
'should have seen that black guard's pull-up jump shot
'should have seen Abby, she dominated everything
'jeez the defence was aggressive
'they just keep on winning
'the coach is back after his cancer scare
'it's only $10
'parking is easy
... and so on.

Reply #650142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much would they earn from gate receipts approximately? Why not offer free tickets to a local club a game, would think it might boost crowd and get a few returning paying customers if the quality is good.

Reply #650144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It also might take a little while to get the word out that this team doesn't completely suck anymore. Probably school holidays will help too.

Reply #650148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Male competitions of the same standard generally attract even fewer fans, so I don't really buy that argument."

Paul is spot on. The only gone who gets it. Sorry, but WNBL does not equal NBL. Hence lower crowds and interest.

Reply #650149 | Report this post

TM  
Years ago

Most of the above points are valid, all to some degree.

Promotion - a few observations...
During the last few weeks here in Adelaide I have seen on multiple channels of nightly news/sports segment the following;

Every 36ers import arrival at the airport

An interview with Joey

An interview with Diamonds coach and separately on a different night an interview with Diamonds players, video of Diamonds at training

Interviews with players and coach of the Reds as they start their season this week in Brisbane (not even at home)

The only time the Lightning were mentioned was a story about coach Lucas health. Nothing since.

Surely it would only require one person involved with the Lightning to be tasked with creating a dialogue on a weekly basis with a tv channel (pick one with a female presenter), and provide info about upcoming games, arrange player interviews, etc.

In this day and age I don't see how any channel could refuse to allocate equal minutes of air time for this.

Reply #650159 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Definitely agree it's a promotion thing. IMO the Boomers are at the top of the class in terms of their crowds and promotion - while I do think sometimes they're trying to make the league all about them, I do give them credit - their crowds are the best in the league especially for a sport saturated city like Melbourne.

One thing the Boomers do really well is going to grassroots level and getting the associations involved. I think they had a competition to see which association could sell the most memberships and the winner received a visit from Cambage or O'Hea. They also partnered with a junior 3x3 competition between local associations and had those games at half time. IMO targeting the juniors is a good idea, it gets the whole family in the door and chances are they'll like what they see and return.

Reply #650161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WNBL doesn't warrant regular news stories. Sorry, get with reality.

Reply #650163 | Report this post

TM  
Years ago

re anon ...163
Neither does Nick Kyrgios, Tiger Woods or the Australian cricket team, but we hear about them all the time

Reply #650168 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the click test would prove you wrong on that one.

Reply #650172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TM... wrong. People love that sh_t despite your opinion of it (yes those three do suck). WNBL on the other hand - people aren't interested in it to warrant news stories.

Reply #650175 | Report this post

TM  
Years ago

Yeah, I know bad news sells...

I'm just a glass half full type, and believe in the "Build it and they will come" approach.
Which Melb Fan says is working in Melb.

It would be nice if they at least tried and persevered.

Reply #650179 | Report this post

Europa12  
Years ago

Lets be honest the club Pr has done nothing to get people interested or to get know the team. It was great to see the girls out at the Basketball Sa district finals, but I didn't know their names. Unless it is Abby Bishop or Lauren Summerton it is very hard to know who the players are.

The 36ers and the lightning are both being run by the same people but they are running it like the girls don't matter. The social media is crap with photographs that are either out of focus or of players backs. Why don't they get the guy who did the Premier Leagues photos to help them out?

It was School holidays this week they should have given every junior district and domestic player and a parent a free ticket. Get people interested and engaged with the team.

Reply #650181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not do most games as double headers and save on costs?

Reply #650187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Admit kids 15 and under free, get them to the game and get them hooked so they keep asking the parents to take them back.

If the team continues to win more people will get on board and the crowds will increase. Everyone forgets this team has been terrible for a long period and no one wants to pay money to see a losing team, just human nature. Last nights crowd was pretty good, improvement on opening night

Reply #650188 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

The PERCEPTION is that the WNBL doesn't warrant attention. I would argue that perception is false.

However, I recognise that perception rapidly becomes reality, so the challenge is to change the perception.

Many of the negative comments above are very good examples of how to reinforce the current flawed - in my opinion - perception of women's basketball, which I understand from many of these comments is seen as having little or no value despite featuring the best players in the country including Olympians and internationals.

Reply #650198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put the games back to wayville and generate an atmosphere.

Reply #650199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's YOUR perception #198.

Reply #650218 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

I agree with Pop. Paul is a clueless whinger

Reply #650231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pauls a chauvinistic twit

How about you give the WNBL the same opportunities and media coverage and people will decide for themselves

Reply #650237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, he's not. Truth hurts, huh?

Reply #650246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not true just because one or two ignorant males don't appreciate women's sports ya doofus lol

Reply #650258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not true because a few females don't recognise the fact that WNBL is far inferior to NBL and other sports which happen to be male dominated and popular enough to be on the news but let's call males who state the dacts ignorant and sexist derpity derp derp

Reply #650260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

facts*

Reply #650261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's a test for the boys.

Tell your wife/gf/partner that you are off to the WNBL with a few mates.

What is their reaction?

Reply #650394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one appreciates the WNBL in Adelaide because no one turns up to the games. People vote with their feet. Its not rocket science.

Its not a product people in Adelaide want to go and see.

Reply #650396 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The Lightning used to get pretty good support back in the day, so it's not like the team is something that people are unable to be interested in.

Reply #650398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People forget the damage done to the brand over the years. A lot of older loyal fans simply will never return.

Also the Arena is a horrible place for the Lightning to play. Unfortunately Wayville is equally as bad. SA Basketball's failure to develop high quality venues is part of the fault.

Money. In a city where AFL is life, all other sports scramble for any traction with fans, media, sponsors and the general population. The WNBL and the Lightning with its 5 owners/management in 4 years haven't even attempted to do their own internal marketing well, let alone push into the mainstream media. Social Media, Website, Communication with the basketball public. It's like the team exists but the office see them as an afterthought. Sad reality of the Lightning/BSA/36ers office and has been the case since Jan left.

Instead of blaming the public or the media, basketball administrators need to take a look at what they're doing, what they can control. Get that right and the rest will follow and the Club will build a level of interest and support close to what they deserve.

Reply #650410 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I laugh that some people struggle to read that fewer people watch male sport that is of the same standard as female sport without reverting to name calling.

The Matildas got beaten 7-0 by a Newcastle Jets underage team recently. Not long after, around 17,000 people turned out in Newcastle to watch the Matildas.

How many go and watch the Jets underage team even though they play at a significantly higher standard? And how many would watch male teams at the same level as the Matildas?

The answer is not nearly as many. It's pretty straight forward, and is not a commentary on the merit of supporting women's sport at all.

Reply #650415 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Whatever paul. Everyone knows you hate women's sport. It is clear through your years of following it and posting about it and having articles published about it etc etc.

Reply #650416 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You're right, I just watch it to build up the hate for my next angry post.

Reply #650417 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

So what I'm reading in this thread amounts to:

"Sport A is better/has wider appeal/gets more clicks than Sport B so Sport B should not expect good crowds or media coverage."

Isn't that why NBL has smaller crowds/media coverage/appeal than AFLW? So that's okay too?

Reply #650418 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Me , I will go and watch Cambage play even though those on hoolahoops reckon she caint play... notta burton fan though...

Reply #650420 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

What's with dumb policy that doesn't allow fans on to the court once the game has finished at Lightning games? Shouldn't the WNBL be promoting fan & player involvement once the game has finished? I believe most other WNBL teams actively promote this fan engagement but at Lightning games you get security guards running from everywhere once this 'massive security breach' has occurred. Turn it up Lightning & try to be better than that, you can't afford to continue to alienate your very small fan base!

Reply #650535 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ Agreed.
That's disappointing to hear about the Lightning. Player-fan interaction after the games is one of the real positive points of difference about the WNBL (or at least most of its teams).

Reply #650544 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:37 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754