Pennywise
Years ago

Another shocker year for Kings?

I'm not a King's fan, but I do want this team to draw a large crowd each week for the sake of the NBL. However with the way they look at the moment, this roster should be dominating, it should be looking a little stronger on the court, I know this is an early call but could they miss the playoffs AGAIN?

hopefully it clicks, it just seems no matter who they put on this roster they just can't make it work. It could be Gaze? Maybe he just doesn't know how to use his players...

Topic #41934 | Report this topic

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Andrew keeps telling them "Hey. We're alright"

I don't think even he believes him

Reply #650203 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I had them missing the playoffs.

Will the Breakers join Utah & Adelaide and put up triple figures on the Kings tonight too?

Reply #650205 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Lisch is no longer his MVP self, plus he's playing out of position at point guard. The Kings remained confident in Lisch during the off-season to still be "the guy", but he is evidently no longer that

Reply #650206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings have no PG. They are going to struggle until they get one.

Feel bad for Lisch.

Reply #650207 | Report this post

Pennywise  
Years ago

they're too old and the coaching from Gaze is abysmal, he does not have a system, it's just based off nothing, they take some ridiculous shots. The recruiting is just based off getting a star like big-name. Newley and Lisch haven't been what you'd expect, age probably catching up. They need an overhaul AGAIN - new coach and a few new players. Jason Cadee is a liability, thinks hes top shit, when he's just shit... man so many problems. GO SPEND MONEY ON A FIRED NBA COACH. Haha.

Reply #650208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have terrible on court balance and chemistry. Not a great mix of scorers, creators, screens and rebounders. They are already having issues. End of the first half just now Leslie took a bad shot driving right into Newleys man and Newley just waved his arms in exhasperation and left the court. Not a good sign!

Lisch at PG is a stupid stupid idea.

Reply #650209 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Gaze placed way too much responsibilities on Lisch's shoulders. The man is trying but quite evident he's struggling to do everything.

Reply #650210 | Report this post

Pennywise  
Years ago

put a fork in Lisch, he's cooked, He'll be a bench player next year - you heard it first.

Reply #650211 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Its Round 2.

I'm not ready to write them off just yet.

There's tonnes of basketball to play and as we have seen in the past, anything can happen.

Reply #650212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeff van WrongAgain

Simples.

Reply #650213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's unfair to keep blaming Gaze, I've watch his time outs and they are on the money, his interview at half time was on the money, but he has realise that Cadee can't defend a grandma with a white cane. Gazes loyalty to the Cadee family JVG has, is causing him problems with team selections and player input, until he sees this and gets a 5man and plays Cadee mostly on the bench it ain't happening.

Reply #650214 | Report this post

Pennywise  
Years ago

would love to have Blanchy at the 36ers, having him sit on the 3pt line with out athletic players attacking, driving and kicking to him would be amazing. He would be a weapon!

Reply #650215 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

What's the word on Garlepp?

Reply #650221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty sure the word is that he's a ranga

Reply #650222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney should sign Geordie Mcloud, how does this man not have a job? Was fantastic at Illawara

Reply #650223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The makeup of he team would have been good how the game was played 15 years ago. A great shuffle team. Not a great team in the era of flow offences and I don't think the staff are with the times.

Reply #650229 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Kings tried to buy Garlepp out of the contact he got from Shane Heal. He declined so they are benching him to try and force him to quit. He was once their club MVP.

Pathetic really

Reply #650230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Garlepp has a year to go and the Kings didn't want him to continue. I don't believe there was a forced open push to get rid of him.
Gaze simply cannot coach and that's why Vickerman left. Showing Gaze up to many times.
JVG's selection for "his team" are proving wrong again.
Gaze has already stated they may need a 3rd import. Why not get the first 2 imports right in the first place Jeff.
The Kings re entry back into the NBL has been and currently is a failure.
Kings lose to Adel and Adel aren't that good. Adel smash a terrible Taipans side who have been the top of the ladder by virtue of winning by the slimmest of margins. They simply aren't that good.
A long season ahead for the KINGS again.

Reply #650243 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

No point guard, no centre, no coach, no chance.

Reply #650254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings should listen to Luke Kendall more. A shrewd basketball mind

Reply #650262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #650265 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Adelaide aren't that good? I'd say they are. Will be top 2. Kings look cooked. Need a new coach and a 3rd import. Unbalanced realm with too much reliance on a rookie big. Surely Garlepp is worth a try

Reply #650267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch as point guard is just absolute unadulterated insanity. A third import won't fix their biggest issue. There is no PG on the roster. Incredible that Van Groningen can't see it. Or maybe it's the whole Cadee nepotism crap. Can't have little Jason sitting on the pine, can we Uncle Grant? And what they are doing to Garlepp is unconscionable. That club is rotten.

Reply #650270 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

I hear a rumour Steve Blake and Gaze didn't get on, well maybe Blake had a point as he is used to having better coaches..

Reply #650275 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Off the top of my head, this is the number of returning players from last year at each club:

Perth - 9
Adelaide - 8
Melbourne - 8
NZ - 8
Illawarra - 9
Sydney - 4
Brisbane - 8
Cairns - 8

The Kings are way behind the eight ball, and they also have the least experienced coaching staff in the comp, so it's going to take time to gel.

Despite that they've been right in games against Adelaide and NZ, and were far from terrible against Utah.

I can't see them making playoffs, but I can see them finding some quality form as the season progresses, especially if they make a smart selection with their third import.

Reply #650309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garlepp is happy to take the money.

Reply #650329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're clueless Paul. This team is well and truly broken. No point guard, no defensive identity, Lisch and Newley aging, Leslie a bad fit, Cadee still as awful defensively, and the worst coaching staff in the league. Won't win 10 games this season. Hello Wooden spoon.

Reply #650333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings are a basketcase. It's the way it shatters that matters, so any more goss on JvG and his delusions while building the team? Remember he "masterminded" the Bullet$$$ championship lolololol

Reply #650334 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Ellis is getting better and OMGoodness Blanchfield what a block !!!!!!. Leslie looks like in 2nd gear = Powell of last year - certainly not a Cotton, Ware or Trice. Jeff Wrongagain, I would suggest getting a true import PG, who plays with determination and an import centre ASAP. Otherwise we are looking at the spoon.

Reply #650346 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Their offense is terrible, hurts to watch!

Reply #650350 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Not sure what JVG's delusions are, but when I raised concerns months ago about the Kings' frontcourt (or lack of it). His answer was "we have guys coming back from the boomers and we don't want an import to take court time away from them".

When it was pointed out that Cadee, Newley and Blanchfield do not play in the 5. His answer was "Eliis can play the 5".

Reply #650351 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Garlepp is happy to take the money

I would think so, I'm just wondering what is really going on with that situation. There's been a bit of hearsay weeks or even months ago, it just didn't make sense that they would let things get to a point where it may negatively affect the image of the organization.

Yes its early days, but there are enough disturbing signs that this may turn into a basket-case season for this team. There were a couple of articles a few days ago quoting Gaze on giving the current lineup a few games before deciding on a 3rd import.

The zinger was he mentioned that he has no one on the radar if they do decide to get one. What's the point of hiring Damon Stephenson then? Are they for real? There are people on this forum that can give them at least a dozen names of imports that can help their current situation within an NBL team budget. SMH.

Reply #650352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is a much, much better commentator than he is coach

Reply #650361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings are 0-2!

Strike #2 for Gaze!!

Reply #650365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings should listen to Luke Kendall more. A shrewd basketball mind

Reply #650366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does LC contribute to the coaching panel? Where the best party spots are after the game?
Vickerman got out and went upwards. Word is Gaze was unhappy with Vickerman showing him up with his basketball brain.
The Kings have Gaze there because of his media profile and attracting sponsors. JVG picks the team. So 2 clueless people in charge of the already sinking ship.
Cadee gets his 1000th point in the NBL. He's let his opponents score 1500 ;)

Too early for the 3rd import?
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-sydney-kings-to-consider-additional-import-if-form-doesnt-pick-up-20171011-gyynye.html

Reply #650372 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

When the Kings go on a winning streak .... watch the mega thread about how the Kings have broken the cap...lol.

Reply #650387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lanard Copeland contribution is working on the game plan for the Hawks at The Block Party again like last weekend!

Reply #650391 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The time for the third import is coming up when NBA teams finalise their rosters. Plenty of good players on the market at the same time.

Reply #650392 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So who are their two imports?

Singh is Indian, Ellis and Leslie American... who isn't an import?

Reply #650399 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Singh because as an Indian he can play as a local player.

Reply #650400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Singh isnt a import, teams are allowed Aisan players as locals.

And Southern Joe, thats exactly our point, the Kings have spent on their roster, and therefore should actually be good, a playoff contender and not have these massive flaws that everyone can see, thats whats so frustrating for fans.

If a low budget team has wholes in the roster people can sorta understand, end even then they do a better job at putting together a balanced team than this kings line up.

Both last nights games showed us why Kings and NZ didnt make playoffs last season and why Perth and Hawks did, it was just so obvious

Reply #650402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings were better under tim Hudson management when they had zilch money to spend. Lol.

Reply #650411 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oh right, so it's all of Asia not just Asia Pacific.

Well Sydney needs to find a half decent import big who can protect the rim.

In the first 2 games they've been outrebounded by 13 and outscored in the paint 74 to 44.

With their current roster they're definitely not a playoffs team but I give them a chance if they can improve in those areas.

Reply #650426 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The way to improve in those areas is to play players who are taller than 6'4". They don't have any.

Reply #650427 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep Kobe, none, apart from eight guys on their roster.

Reply #650436 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Not sure about Singh, then we have a young developing Humphrys so the big man department is a bit thin compared to some other teams right now and yes, some of the guards and utilities are on the experienced side but not going to throw them to the wolves just yet.

Reply #650593 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yep Kobe, none, apart from eight guys on their roster.
Please don't make me explain the joke.

Reply #650598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its amazing how many coaches are on here smh

Reply #650655 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I love the state of the Kings this year. It means the Taipans still have a chance of not winding up with spoon :-)

Reply #650685 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Coach here, open for comment

Reply #650687 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

No point guard, no centre, no coach, no chance.

Basically, yes... But I'd add... No heart, no chemistry, no clue...

No import PG, no proper 5 man, WHO could have seen this coming?!

It's really heartbreaking to see such blatant shit decisions ruining the team... At least in past seasons the core team had some sort of chemistry, but it's like a group of individuals out there, and such a lack of cohesion, it's ridiculous...

No import PG because apparently Kevin wants to run it, but it's not working... No proper 5 as they want to go small... Game after game after game in the pre-season it's proven to be a shit idea as players like AJ, Kickert, even Wesley have their way with them... Still, they go to Utah not even with a third import, but only two, unlike United and the Bullets, and they would have known they could play more, but no...

There's a mess with Garlepp, and not really sure what to think on that, because if they wanted to buy him out and he's just stubbornly not leaving, that's a bit rough, but if they ballsed that up as well, and knowingly still brought Singh in anyways, just another mistake to add to the list... So who is to blame? The player who won't leave with a bunch of cash to the detriment of with team, or the team who after all that still won't play him? Either way, or however way it's actually unfolding, it's messy and is hurting the team on and off the court...

And if Gaze is to be believed, they don't even have anyone on their radar to fill that 3rd import spot... ffs...

Reply #650731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Singh never impressed in the trials yet got picked. Amazing.
The JVG and Gaze experiment should be over now before it's too late.

Reply #650752 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"No heart"

That's rubbish. They showed a heap of heart on Thursday. They also showed a lot of fight in Utah when they could have got completely wiped.

As for not using extra imports in Utah, why would they? It was their last pre-season game and they used the players on their roster to prepare for the real thing.

Reply #650755 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

"No heart"

That's rubbish.

We'll see today... Some players didn't give up, but as a collective, it's not there... If they show up today and play for themselves and the team, then I'm wrong, but they have a long way to go compared to other teams...

Reply #650760 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Keep an eye on the Leslie body language. In the last time out in regular time in the Breakers game he wasn't even in the huddle and was (not that I blame him because it was probably far more interesting than anything Gaze had to say) just checking out the cheer leaders.

Looked like he was pissed by not being on the court at the time.

Reply #650764 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Anon...."Sydney should sign Geordie Mcloud, how does this man not have a job? Was fantastic at Illawara"

You need to work on proper nouns pal!

Reply #650765 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

If JVG is the problem, those at the top won't take the hard decision to get rid of him because they would look like fools for getting him in and then letting him stay.

I hope we don't see Sydney fold before there's a clean-out.

Reply #650791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised AEG are that dumb re: van Wrongagain.

Reply #650801 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:49 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754